The Proposal

One Shot: Loving Kang Gary

“Hello babyyy~” She let her handbag fall to the floor as she walks towards him on the couch. He was not smiling but looking at her in the eyes, upset. She went on the couch and sat on his lap facing him, holding his face in both her palms. His face hasn’t changed and kept staring thru her.

“You’re still mad at me?” She asked him with her aegyo. He didn’t respond to her. “Are you not going to talk to me now?” Silence.

“OK, fine..” She got up and walked away. “Let me know when you’re done being upset.” She walked into the room, picking up her bag on the way.

It took him 10 minutes to calm down.  He was upset that she went away the whole week. She said it would be 3 days but she extended. He had made plans for them.  He walked into the room looking for her.  She was sitting down on the floor in the walk-in closet unpacking her bag. He stood by the entrance to the closet and leaned into the wall watching her back.

She sensed his presence and turned to check. “So… you feel better now?” She turned back to her clothes, resuming to unpack. She knew him well. She can’t talk much and have to let him calm himself when he’s upset.

“Yeah.. a little better now that you decide to come back” his hoarse voice sounded good although filled with sarcasm for her.  She knew he didn’t mean it badly. She knew it’s because he missed her. She smiled hearing it but still not facing him.

“I made plans for 3 days with them… but they wanted to extend. They all agreed to it and since I didn’t have any work scheduled, I said yes to them. Didn’t think you’d be so upset because you’re busy with studio works anyway.” He was staring at her back listening to her explaining.

He went to near her and picked up her dirty laundry and walked out to the laundry room leaving Jihyo confused. It dawned on her that he was making up for being upset with her. He didn’t say a word but she knew him. She shook her head smiling at his action. She cleared up the rest of her luggage and went into the laundry room.

Gary was already pressing the button to start the machine. She walked in and back-hugged him kissing the back of his neck. She stood there quietly. Gary released her hold on his waist and turned towards her and looked into her eyes.

“I am upset because I made plans for us to go for a short getaway. I wanted to surprise you. I had Areum arrange the villa. Well.. it ended up with her getting a vacation with her boyfriend instead.” She was surprised now. She didn’t know. “I’m sorry… You should have told me and I would totally cancel them” She was the side of his face, guilt apparent on her face.

“I thought you would have asked me if you were going to change your plans. Normally you’d ask of my schedule before you plan yours.” He was explaining to her nicely. She loves how he had changed in situations like this. It’s been good between them. He used to make it harsh for her when he’s upset. He had learned along the way and improved his ways. Nowadays, he rarely talks when he is upset. He will take time to calm down instead of having them shout at each other. She likes it when he’s calm before talking to her. Shows how much patience and effort he put in for her. It’s these little things that make her appreciate him.

“I should have… I assumed you were busy recording. So I committed to them and told you later. I’m sorry you had to cancel your plan.. But I’m happy you planned it. It’s the thought that counts” She winked at him trying to make him smile. He did smile while leaning forward for a kiss he’s been longing. “But…” She began after the kiss. Her voice a little shaky. “I am going away again after filming tomorrow. With my CJes team.” He was upset again. She panicked. “It’s just 3 days.”

He was upset she didn’t tell him. She waited until the last minute. He released her and walked out. “Fine… do whatever you have to do. Let me know when you can free up your time for me. I’ll ask my manager to call and make appointment with you” He walked out of the house. She was stunned. She didn’t expect that reaction. She’d let him calm down. He’d have to see her for filming anyway.

Gary was extra professional during filming. He didn’t show any signs of them having issues in front of the others like he used to. He reacted normally to her and got her confused. She thought he was ok with her but at times he’s cold towards her. She figured he’s still upset. She went along during filming.

He didn’t wait for her after filming. He knew she was going away and saw her crews already waiting for her. He got annoyed. They were all so happy to be going away with her. He had been without her for so long and she didn’t even tell him of her plans.

It was a happy journey with her team. She didn’t want to spoil it for them by dealing with Gary on the phone. She texted him after retiring for the night.

“I’ve safely arrived.. Just wanted to update you. Good night.” She decided to make it short. A lengthy message would invite him to go into the issue and she didn’t think he was calm enough for that. She knew it can wait til she gets back. Gary just needed time alone to calm down.

He read her text. He didn’t reply. It was just an update and she wasn’t talking about their issue. He spent his time at home since she’s not there. He busied himself with writing lyrics and planning his schedule. They’ll need to go to Hong Kong in 5 days. They’ve had practices together before. They’ve planned it well and they just needed to have their rehearsal at the venue. He didn’t want to give in to her this time. He’d let her have it her way. He would just treat her professionally in Hong Kong. Just like he did during the Singapore fanmeet.

During the getaway, Jihyo fell sick. She was dehydrated and tired. She hadn’t had a rest. It was a vacation but being the star of the crowd she had to entertain everyone. They have been a huge part of her career and personal life for the past 4 years. It was a farewell trip. She is parting with the company next week.

She went home to an empty house. Gary was not there. She had not been texting him the past 3 days. Waiting for him to text her when he’s calm. Obviously, he had not calmed down and it was stressing her out. She felt really weak and still sick. She decided to drive herself to the hospital and checked into the ward to get some rest and get herself treated before the fanmeet. She had 2 days to recover.

The whole group decided on wearing black and white for the first day. She went home the morning they were going to the airport to pack and get her clothes. Her stylist came to help out and gave her the clothes for the fanmeet. “I got the clothes as you requested. But I didn’t know what you’d want to wear for the airport so I had a few here” She was holding up a few pieces of clothes for Jihyo.

The sheer long shirt caught her eyes. “This should be comfy..”

“OK… what  do you want to wear under it?” She held out her white sports bra. “Won’t this be too revealing?” the stylist was surprised with her choice. She always cover up for airport fashion. Sometimes short shorts but never revealing top. “Won’t you get too cold in the flight?”

“All the more reason to cuddle up  to my man” she winked at her stylist. Deep down she is still worried that he would not want to sit close to her.

She went to the airport by herself. He went by himself. They didn’t see each other until they were inside the airport. Gary still had not noticed the plaster on her hand. The plaster to cover the needle point for her IV drip during her hospital stay. He didn’t talk to her except for the normal greeting.

“So we’re seated next to each other…” She said when she reached their seats. He was already sitting near the aisle. “You can have the window seat” He said blankly. He was still thoughtful. They both love the window seat and they always had to make a deal to switch from time to time during long flights. This time, there was no discussion, he handed the window seat to her.

They sat quietly. She didn’t know how to start. It was business class so there was plenty of space between them to make it less awkward. Gary ignored her during takeoff. He had his headphones on, listening to his music with his eyes shut. She was sleeping the moment the flight started moving. It was extra cold around their seats.

 

When food was served Gary glanced at Jihyo’s tray and saw her hand with plasters. He suddenly felt sick seeing her hurt. He forgot he was upset with her and took her hand in his to examine it. “What happened??” He was so worried and it caught her by surprise. “What is this??” she was staring at him for too long without an answer for him. “Oh.. plasters” she was still staring at him.

“I know it’s plaster dumbo.. what happened?” she laughed hearing him calling her dumbo. He only slips those words when he’s worried and had no control over his words.”Why are you laughing?? Answer me” He was still worried. She touched his hand, calming him down with soft caresses. “It’s just from the IV drip…”

“What?? IV?? Were you sick?” He felt guilty for not knowing it. She nodded with a smile to comfort him.

“Oh my God… why didn’t you tell me?” His face full of concern, his eyes fixed on hers. He held up her hand to kiss it. She reached out to touch his face. She leaned in to whisper to him. “It’s OK oppa… I was just tired and dehydrated… I got myself into the hospital to rest and recover.”

“I’m sorry…” He said those words with much regret. “I am sorry too…” She kissed him briefly. He finally smiled. “Eat up, you need the energy..” He was looking on her eating. Making sure she eats.

“Oppa… want to sit here?” Gary remembered they had always switched the window seat. “It’s okay.. you can have the seat. I’m happy sitting next to you.”

“But I want you to sit with me here…” She spoke with her sultry voice. “Oh my God, baby… don’t do this.. We’re on a flight. You wearing that, I don’t think I can keep my hands still” She laughed at his reaction. “OK, then.. I’m going to the front to get my shawl to keep me warm” she stood up and walk to the coat hangers where her stylist had hung her shawl and jacket in case she needed them. She came back to see Gary already sitting in her seat. He smiled and reached out for her hand. She sat on his lap and cuddled up to him.

“I didn’t want you to be cold. Let me know if you’re not comfortable and I’ll return to my seat ok.” He whispered to her. “No… this is most comfortable. I need this” she kissed him under his chin and slept.

 

As they walked out of the plane Gary whispered to her “Stay close to me, the crowd will be crazy… stay close so I can see you’re safe.” She smiled. He’s back to his old self. Always watching over her. If it was up to her, she would have walked out with his arm around her.  She was happy because not being able to talk to him when he was sitting next to her felt like hell.

 

The moment they reached the venue of the fanmeet Gary went to his manager. “Can you please change my flight ticket to tonight. I want to go back with Jihyo.”

“I thought you wanted to avoid being rumored…”

“Forget that.. Her contract’s ending soon. We can be a little free. Jaesuk hyung is going back too.. so no problem.”

That night it was extra special for the Monday Couple fans. They were in their best mood. It was apparent how in love they are. They sang the song that meant so much to them. She had sung that song on stage every single year since it was released. They had planned to repeat the last show they had together. But Gary was so into the song and fans that he had forgotten to get close to jihyo for her to lay her head on his shoulder. A moment meant to be captured as their sweet moment by the fans. But they captured a lot more than was planned. Gary was never that happy and playful on stage. He was enjoying it.

“Jihyo.. I am going back with you tonight.” He smiled cheekily. They’re in her changing room. “You’re cancelling the plan with the other guys for me??” She didn’t ask that of him She wouldn’t ask that of him. They’re like brothers and they had planned to stay the night in Hong Kong to rest and hang out together.

“I told them I was worried for your safety. As much as I hate your company staff accompanying you… At least I know they’ll take good care of you. Now that they’re no longer around, I have to take charge. It’s my responsibility now.”

She went to him to reward him with a hug for his thoughtfulness. “Getting back with you was the best decision I’ve ever made. We argue often, we ignore each other often.. but we’ll always come back and learn something about each other.” He was rocking her body to a soft music playing in his mind, enjoying her company. “I don’t have a ring right now.. And I’d take you to Victoria Peak to propose. But I think this is the right time… Will you marry me?”

 

Jihyo leaned back in shock, looking at him trying to find a hint that he’s joking about it. “Are you serious?” She had a frown on her face. “Yes, I am… Don’t you want to??” He didn’t think of that possibility of getting a No or Maybe for an answer. She had her serious face on and looked like she was thinking hard.

“OK this is embarrassing… I don’t mind you saying no. I’d understand you’re not ready…”

“Kang Gary…” she was serious. She wasn’t smiling. “You know we’ve been through a lot. We fought a lot. It’s never peaceful for long. Sometimes you go missing for days.. sometimes I do that” Gary was worriedly waiting for her to finish. “You know I don’t believe in marriage… I mean I am not against it but I am not sure of the purpose of it.”

“Jihyo… I know that. I am asking because it felt right. I can’t imagine anybody else I’d grow old with. Don’t answer me now…”

“No, you asked so I should answer it now…” he bent down trying not to look into her eyes.

She leaned in near his ear. “Yes” a short and simple answer and she leaned back to smile at him. He was beaming with happiness and pulled her into his embrace and swung her around out of joy. He was happy. 

It made news that Gary changed his flight to go back with his girlfriend. Jaesuk was with them but the fact that they’ve been walking together ever since they arrived in Hong Kong, convinced the reporters that there is something going on between them.

“Have you discussed on the announcement of the contract?” She shook her head while chewing on the meat he prepared for dinner. “How do you plan it to be? Mind sharing with me?” He wanted to know her plan. They have not been talking for 2 weeks before they went to Hong Kong. He wasn’t updated.

“I wanted to discuss it with you. They planned on a press statement so they’re asking me to give them what I want to be mentioned in it by today. It’ll be simple but I think it should cover our relationship to avoid issues later on when we make it public” He nodded agreeing to her. He leaned back in his chair. Looking at her sitting across the dining table.

“So I have this in mind… I don’t want to make it obvious that it’s related to you so I’m going based on technicalities of the contract. Since the contract for the love line with the CEO is for me to keep my silence for 2 years, I’d make them say we ended the relationship over 2 years ago…”

“Good… that way, we don’t have to explain why we started ours 2 years ago. Glad you had that covered” He’s proud of her. She thought it out. “But wouldn’t it be weird for you to announce your past relationship at the end of your contract.. and it’s like 2 years ago. You’re not the type to announce of your personal life. And the company is only supposed to announce the end of the contract.”

“But I want them to include it. At least people will have the idea that we’ve probably dated. It won’t be a shock to them if we decide to announce later. And I know you wouldn’t want to say we have just recently dated and spending the whole of our lives deducting the last 2 years when asked about how long we’ve been together.”

“Wow.. you really thought that far!” He was the one smiling foolishly.  “So are we getting married soon?”  He said cheekily. They have not discussed when to get married but he had deployed Areum to Spain to look for a place for them to get married in private. The future sister-in-law has been enjoying time travelling on behalf of him.

“Not anytime soon. We’ll take it slow. Let’s get married when we suddenly feel like it. Right now I just feel like going away with you. The day after filming we’re going to the beach villa. I told your manager to free up your schedule for 4 days. He said you’re done recording shouldn’t be aproblem.” She didn’t even ask him and he found it amusing that she’s taking control.

“Wow! You’re being the wife already huh? Already arranging my schedule.” He and she blushed. “I didn’t mean it that way… I wanted to spend time away with you. Should I cancel it?”

“NOOOOO… I want to go.” He walked to her to stand behind her chair and leaned down to hug her. “I love it when you arrange the schedule for me. I feel loved. My manager knows my work, it shouldn’t be a problem anyway.”

….

Filming went well. The moment they walked on set and was briefed that female idol group will be their guests, Gary could not hide his panicked face. He knew they liked pairing him with beautiful girls. He doesn’t get why women love him so much when others are much more good looking.

After the members go away to their stylists he stayed to talk to the PD. Jihyo waited for him.

“I know it’s impossible for you to pair me with jihyo when the idols are here. But can you pair me with the least attractive one?” The PD laughed at his words and looked at Jihyo trying not to laugh at her man’s cuteness.

“I can’t promise you that. I’ll try to match you with the ones already in relationship.” He winked as he walked away to brief the crews.

“Oppa.. You’re worried I’d get jealous right?” Jihyo spoke as they walked side by side to the changing room. “That and the fact that I don’t like to pretend to like every pretty girl on the show.”

“But you do like to look at pretty girls…” She stated the obvious. He does like looking at pretty girls. She doesn’t get jealous until the girls make a move on him and he reciprocate it for the sake of the show. She knew he didn’t mean to lead them on but she just can’t help feeling jealous. She can’t control that about her. It was not that bad with her previous boyfriends. Just this one man.

“Aigooo… you know I just look at them. I don’t like getting close to them.” She smiled to tell him she understood him. “I don’t get why the girls like flirting with me so much!” He was complaining as he closed the changing room door.

“I know why..” He looked at her curiously. “Really??” She nodded. “Yes, I know.”

She went to him.

“And for the same reason, I get jealous often no matter how much I trust you.”

“Why?” He had his arm around her waist, a move to comfort her in case she gets into things that annoys her.

“You grow on people. You’re hard to get close to so getting close to you is an achievement.” She the side of his head out of habit. “Back then… You were dark and people don’t dare come close. Then, you dated me. Everybody came to me asking what I saw in you because it happened so fast. Everybody knew I don’t just date anybody. And you got me to date you in a few months.”

He smiled remembering how hard he tried to get to her.

“I told them I don’t know why either. I just knew I wanted to be with you because you made me happy and feel the things others don’t. Then we broke up because of the circumstances. So when we got back together 2 years ago, they were more curious. I didn’t bother giving them answers this time. They don’t ask much either. They figured you grow on people. People just get use to you and love you as time passes.”

“like you?” He asked shyly. She nodded smiling lovingly. “You can have any guy, yet you chose me... twice.”

“Because I discovered the best of you. I love you with all your flaws. It makes you real. I have never met a man so honest and real and so true to himself. I want that in a man. I want a man I can look up to.” He was embarrassed hearing her praise him.

“And of all the girls that throw themselves at you… why are you still with me? I am not as young or as y.”  She had been wanting to ask the question for so long. He chuckled. He had always known his answer.

“It was love at first sight for me. I knew I loved you before I met you. I saw you on TV and fell in love. When I finally see you walking towards the pavilion that first day you came on the show. I was so sure I wanted you to myself.”

“Really? Seriously??” She was surprised by that. He never told her that. “To me, you are beautiful in every way. I appreciate other women’s beauty and ual charms, I am a man..” he looked down, ashamed of his natural habit and heard her laughed. “But with them, I don’t feel my heart squeezing and at times it felt like it is going to burst. I can’t explain how it really feels but it’s about that. I can shut my eyes, I can be far away from you yet I can feel you lingering inside of me. That’s what makes you special. I’d want someone that stays with me even if she’s not near. Someone I am afraid of losing that I will have to work to keep her near. Someone that keeps me occupied and focused. Someone that is equally working hard to make it work, constantly fighting with me so we resolve our issues and learn to love more. I don’t mind fighting with you my whole life. ” He said happily.

 “You know what made me believe you’re really serious with me during those days?”

“What?”

“You stopped working out although I knew you wanted so much to be at the gym building your abs with the rest of the guys. You must have felt bad giving them excuses to not work your abs. Kwangsoo used to complain that you kept giving stupid excuses”

“A fan posted on past interview you did… I watched it. You were very specific about your ideal man. You wanted one with some tummy. I gave up my abs so you’d like me.. at least for my tummy.” He chuckled remembering how he refused to maintain his abs.

“That is why I got attracted to you. It’s the things you’re willing to give up just because you knew I’d like it. You were a boxer, a martial art expert… with some tummy.” She patted his tummy in appreciation.

“But I do get jealous a lot. You know It’s how I show my love... I hope you don’t get bored with that.”

“Never!”