The Dark Side

One Shot: Loving Kang Gary

“You know… Gary is always with his mood. At times he would totally change and act like a jerk.  For some reason he would annoy me so much!” Jihyo was sharing it with Jongkook over the phone. “Well, you know he is naturally like that.  He was worse before but I see that it has been less frequent. I’ve known him longer than you do… when he gets into his writing, he just gets absorbed and sometimes it takes a while to get out of it. He gets into those character. You’re the same too. It takes a while before you get out of your character after filming your dramas”

“Seriously oppa?? I do that too?” She did not know she does that too. She knew Gary is like that when he gets into his lyrics and music.  Previously, he would get annoyed and upset for nothing.  She thought she was different.

“Of course! You just didn’t know because your character was never dark like his.  I think it is normal for you two to get into your characters to do your work. I just sing, I don’t go through the creative process. Gary is a special person. You know right?”  Jongkook has always been there to help sort things out between the two. He is like the big brother that is always positively supporting them. Sometimes the older brothers would oppose their relationship because they see them hurting each other often. But Jongkook sees it differently, they just need time.  He had seen them together. He had never seen Gary so happy and he had never seen a woman with such patience to hang on to him.

“But oppa… he keeps hurting me although he would apologize afterwards…”

“and you keep forgiving him…” he laughed imagining how Jihyo would almost instantly give in to Gary when he comes to her with his sweet words. “Yeah…” she sighed “when it comes to him, I can’t help it.  He would be avoiding me for weeks and the moment he decides he misses me and come back, I’d readily go into his arms” her small laugh accompanied her words. She knows she’s a fool but she just cannot help it.  She is a fool in love.

“You feel better now?” Jongkook knows the laugh. She must be thinking of Gary at that moment. “Yes, oppa. But I think I should do something about this. I have to let him know that it’s affecting me before situation gets worse.  Can you help me?”

…..

“Gary, why aren’t you going home yet?” Gil came to get some CDs from the office.  Gary was at his desk, the lined yellow paper scattered all over his desk, some crumpled up, some with scribbles of angry lines on them. 

“I am writing and got stuck.  Jihyo called and interrupted.” Gil patted him on the shoulder. “So I guess you took it out on her then? And you’re sitting here regretting it?” He nodded. Other than remorse, he was still a little upset. He was writing lyrics of his past. It was a dark past.

“Get your things done and talk to her before you go to Singapore.  You would not want people to see it through you. You only have two days.” Gil left it that.  His friend is slow when it comes to getting out of his world. He had to remind him sometimes.

His phone rang. Jongkook.

“Yes, hyung.” He knew Jihyo must have told him something for him to call this late. “Gary ya, are you OK? You don’t sound good.”

“I am just busy with work. So what did Jihyo tell you this time?” he sounded a little upset. “Gary, listen.  I have told you many times.  She is a woman. Her heart is soft. And you repeatedly hurting her, do you think she would stay around for long if this carries on??” He was trying to talk some sense into Gary but he couldn’t help getting annoyed by his tone.

“So she mentions about leaving then?? Whatever.  Sorry hyung, I am busy, I have to hang up now” He didn’t wait for his answer and hung up. Jongkook realized he made it worse.

….

“Oppa!!!! Why did you even suggest that I am leaving him??” Jihyo was not upset with Jongkook but she was worried. “I can’t help it, I was annoyed with his tone! But I think I just made it worse for you. Plus we’re going to Singapore in two days. Can you settle it by then?”

“I am home and with this happening, I don’t think he is coming home tonight. He would normally sleep at the office.  I’ll try to talk to him tomorrow.”

“I am sorry…”

“It’s OK oppa. You know it is the normal routine.  He’ll be OK when he’s done with whatever he is writing right now.  Thank you.  Good night, oppa”

…..

Gary reached home at 4am.  He purposely chose that time knowing Jihyo would be fast asleep. He just needs to get his things.  He went into the closet room and pack his clothes for the Singapore trip into a backpack. Passing in front of the bedroom he stopped. His heart was longing to see her. He was still upset but he missed her. She has been a little distant from him the past few weeks. Close but not as close.  Jongkook’s word is fitting to the current situation.  He would want some time off from her because he knows he will make it worse if he stays.

He slowly turned the door knob and peeked inside. The bedside lamp was on. He can see Jihyo sleeping on her side of the bed. She was deep in her sleep.  He slowly move towards the bed to turn off the lamp. Jihyo was on her side. Peacefully sleeping.  He saw that face and felt a tug at his heart. “beautiful…” he whispered. He kissed his right thumb and brought it to her lips as a goodnight kiss and quickly got out of the house.

 She woke up hoping to find Gary in bed. No sign of him there.  But she thought she felt a kiss. She looked at the digital clock. 4.15 am. In her sleepiness, she pulled her blanket and resumed her sleep.

….

“Jihyo! Gary’s already gone!” Jongkook on the other end sounded panicked. “What’s wrong? What happened to him??” She thought something bad happened.

“He’s on his way to Singapore now!” Jihyo didn’t know whether she should feel relieved that he is safe or sad that he went off without her. “Jihyo, are you there??”

“oh.. oh.. yes, I’m here… it’s just… “ she paused. “He’s doing it again.  I think he’ feeling insecure.  I should have gone to him last night.” She knows Gary is very afraid of losing her. She doesn’t blame him.  He tells her about it sometimes. She wished she could just get rid of all the scars he had from the past. She is working on it but there are too many to work with. “Well… I can’t do much now.  I’ll just have to wait for him to cool down. We’ll just deal with it when we see him there. Don’t worry oppa, he’s not mad at you. He’s mad at me”

“I know… but I had my share in that. “ he sighed. “Just pack up your things. We’ll all help you tomorrow. Donghoon called me about it just now. Gary didn’t tell him much.  Just said he had a business call so he’s going earlier.”

………

“Where’s Gary?” Jongkook asked the event organizer. “He’s out sight-seeing. I had arranged for him to be at the press conference and interview later on.  So you’ll be meeting him there.”

At the press conference, Gary arrived just in time they had to walk out. There was no time to talk. He was definitely not in his best of moods.  They have a job there.  They need to do it whether he likes it or not.  At least he is professional enough to turn up.  He takes work seriously so he makes sure he turns up no matter what.

The interview went well.  Fortunately, his mood is best to deny the relationship.  Normally he would dodge the questions with his jokes.  Today, he doesn’t feel like it’s a lie anymore so he can actually hint on the fake existence of the relationship. 

Jihyo was taken aback by his words and actions.  Jongkook and the rest saw that and tried to ease it.  They know Jihyo is sad but as an actress, she was able to maintain her calm.  The tried getting them to talk it out but pushing it too far may have been awkward in front of the press.

She can’t talk to Gary. There were too many people around, there was no privacy. They had tight schedule.

During the fanmeet concert, Gary was putting on a show.  He avoided her but since the others are pushing them together, they to pretend. Gary had his sunglasses on so it was easier on him. Jihyo had nothing but her acting to protect her.

During the game, the MC was saying that Gary is jealous.  That was her moment.  He had always wanted to hear her say it in front of the fans. “No, no… I love you!” she was directing it towards him.  He was surprised but convinced himself it was for the crowd. “you know… she never said this before.  This is her first time saying it”  Jongkook was trying to convince Gary, not the crowd.

Jihyo stuck to Jongkook’s side most of the time.  She was afraid she would break down if Gary continued being his stubborn self. Near the end, jongkook pushed them together whispering to them “do it for the fans please”.  So she had her arm around his shoulder and he had his arm around her waist. Jihyo was happy that he went along. But his hands was not touching her waist. She held on tighter pulling him close. And at that moment, she saw on the screen.  He was smiling. And he spread out his hand to hold her on the waist. She knew he had soften his defence.

….

“So anybody else joining? We’re going to the club” the event manager inviting the rest to join what he had planned based on Gary’s request. Jongkook, HaHa and Sukjin was looking at Jihyo for the answer.  They thought she would want to be with him. “Yeah sure! Been a long time for me” She had long stopped partying.  But Gary loves it so much especially when he’s stressed out.

Gary sat in front for the ride. He danced away from them in the club. He was avoiding them the whole night. Jihyo thought it was looking good at the concert but she was fooled by Gary.

Gary does not want to face her in front of the others.  He felt that it should be talked in private. Plus he is not ready to face the fact.  He is not ready, fearing the possibility of someone loving him less.   They both took it out on their drinks.  At the end of it, they were both already drunk to care.

….

Jihyo decided to not return to his apartment after the trip.  She would give him the time off he needed. After they parted at the airport she texted him.

He was picked up by his manager. He checked his phone and saw the text message. “I am not going back to your place. So please don’t worry and go back there to rest. I’ll be staying at my place from now on. Take care”

To the manager’s shock, he was cursing out loud all of the sudden.  He knew something was wrong the moment he changed his flight tickets to go a day earlier. He didn’t dare ask. He works wih him but Gary never like to share his problems with the staffs. He shares with Gil and HaHa mostly. Aftter he had calmed himself, he picked up his phone to reply. “Thank you”

“What the hell is he thanking me for??” that shocked her manager. “What did you give to him?” the manager was trying to help her figure out the answer. She turned and stared at him. It dawned on him what it’s all about. “You know what? You can actually solve the problem...”

“Now you’re talking! Tell me.. how?” she was excited somebody is going to solve it for her. “Break up with him” he tested her. “Ya!!!” this time she glared at him. He laughed. “I was joking. You are so miserable the past few days. Is he worth it?” he asked seriously.

“Yes” she didn’t need time to think of that answer. “You know how hard I tried to get him back in my life.”

“Is it worth trying repeatedly?” he was just trying to make her think about it and help her make sense of things. She nodded. “He can be such a pain sometimes. Some other men would treat you better. You should try”

“Ya! That’s my boyfriend you’re talking about!” Gary heard that. He smiled. Jihyo’s manager has always been supportive of them. He thought he had called him about something but he heard a conversation going on when he picked up.  Gary knew his intention. He listened on.

“But you’re not going back to his apartment right?” the manager held up his phone to show Gary’s listening. She glared at him.

“No way! I am upset with him right now. He can have his personal time. Let him find another woman that can stand him.”

Gary on the other end was shocked at the sudden change in her tone. He hung up.

“Ya! I was trying to make you sound good to him! What are you doing??” the manager is now upset that his plan went down the drain. “I wanted him to come back for me because he wanted to. Not because I want him to”

….

Gary kept himself busy. He wanted to write for his solo album. It is supposed to tell the snippets of the progress of his life.  He decided Jihyo can wait a few more days. He needs to cool down and by what he had heard, she needs to cool down too.

He texted her.

Gary: When are you coming back?

Jihyo: I am busy too.

Their texts revolves the same matter every day for a few more days.  He texted to make sure she is still around waiting for him.  She replied just so he gets the hint that she’s waiting.  They kept it short.  They are not going to discuss it on the phone.

By Saturday, he could not take it anymore.  He missed her terribly. He can’t wait until Monday. He called up her manager. “Is she busy today or tomorrow?”

“She has a photoshoot today at the usual studio.  She doesn’t have work tomorrow but I am not sure if she has anything planned personally”

“Can you help me?” At times like this, he was the only one that could help him. “You know, I have never said no to you. What do you want to do?”

….

“You’re late!” Her manager rushes her to the car. “I am 3 minutes late! And this is not even in my schedule in the first place! I am supposed to be sleeping enjoying my Sunday right now!” she nags him for overlooking that she had an interview arranged for the day.

“Sorry. Just get in the car. I forgot you had that schedule, luckily they called me last night.”

“And luckily I am not with Gary right now or else he would have been really upset for cancelling Sunday plans!” He smirked. At this time, she still has him on his mind.

He suddenly stopped the car at the side of the quiet road.  They had only been on the road for 10 minutes. “Why are you stopping here??”

“The car is stalling.  Something wrong.  I’ll have to arrange for someone to pick you up” he went out of the car pretending to make calls while looking at the car engine.  She saw a familiar Range Rover slowing down and stopped in front of her car.  The driver came to her side and knocked on her window. Smiling.

“Come out, let me send you.  You’re already late.” She got out of the car and went straight to her manager. “Why did you call him?”

“I didn’t! He was just here!” she knew he was lying through his teeth. “Just go with him, you’re late. You have work.” She had no choice and went in his car.

In the car, it finally came to her. “Wait… Do I even have a schedule today?” she asked him. He chuckled his answer. “Why are you doing this? Can’t you just come to me normally?” He took her hand in his and held on to it without speaking. He was focused on the road.  She looked at him, waiting for him to talk.  He didn’t say a word and kept on driving.  She didn’t pull her hand away. She let him hold it.

He drove home. Parked his car and opened her door, pulling her out of the car to the elevator. Still no words spoken. He pulled her to sit next to him on the sofa and switched on the TV. He held her hand while watching the movie on TV.  She was confused.  She stared at him the whole time.  She pulled her hand out of his grip. He caught it and held on tighter. He turned to her. “Just let me hold your hand and calm down” he said that and looked ahead. She doesn’t understand why he is more interested in watching Jerry McGuire. Since he said he wanted to calm down, she is giving him the time. She sat and watched along.

Half an hour through the movie he spoke up. “Jerry was a loser. He got his break then became a jerk.  She loved him anyhow. Yesterday, I was watching this and I desperately miss you. So I had to arrange to see you today.”

He turned to face her. She was staring at him. Not smiling. “I am a man with lots of flaws. I have my ego, I have my bad days. Remember how you got out of my life before? You killed me alive”

“But you didn’t die did you? I stabbed you in the heart, you recovered a better man” She smiled to reassure him. “Remember how I got back in your life?” He was chuckling remembering how she stubbornly said she wanted him to fall in love with her again when he refused to. He gathered her in his arms and kissed her. “Am I really worth it?” She climbed on his lap facing him. “Yes… You hurt me now and then… but most of the time, you’re the sweetest and kindest man I know.  I am not saying I like getting hurt because I really hate it. But if it makes you better, I think I can handle it”. He hugged her tight. “Thank you for coming back again and again”.

She leaned back to look at his face. “I know it’s hard for you… but next time, can you just write happy songs? I don’t like seeing you getting into those dark past. It’s bad for you. Can we move forward?” He remembered the “go straight” song they sang together on that most important day of their lives. “Jikjin jikjin jikjin jikjin~~” he started singing to her amusement. He stood up carrying her, still singing that song together, walking to the bedroom.

She cupped his face, planting kisses all over it. “Wait! You have to shave first. My face would be all red tomorrow if you don’t” he changed his route to the bathroom.

“Keep quiet, I don’t want to shave off your skin!” He was sitting on the edge of the bath tub looking up at her shaving him. She wiped off the foam and inspected her work to make sure she didn’t leave a spot unshaved. He caught her face with both hands and forced a kiss. “Thank you, love.” He pulled her out of the bathroom.

“Oppa, we have filming tomorrow…”

“I know, I know… but you were the one who bit my nose…  I had a hard time covering it at the airport!”

He woke up to the smell of someone cooking lunch in the kitchen.

He walked up behind her and pulled her into his arms. “Is it ready yet? I am really hungry”

“Almost done. Go wait at the table.”

“Can I just stand here like this until you’re done?” She smiled and let him stay. 

“Oppa.. did you come back that night before you went to Singapore?” she was still curious about it. “Yes, I did. I packed some things and couldn’t resist checking on you” She knew he was there. “You noticed the lamp was turned off?” She laughed. “I didn’t notice I slept with the lamp on or that you turned it off. I felt something on my lips”

He turned her around, brought his thumb to his lips to kiss it. He rubbed his thumb on her lips. “Like this?” She nodded happily knowing he came back to check on her. She got a real kiss from him this time.

“I love you” that deep voice resonating through aher again. She brought up her left hand to his cheek. “Can you help me write a love song later?”  She knew he wasn’t trying to make her write songs with him. He was telling her he is writing what she wanted him to write. 

 

 

Note:

Sorry it's been a while.  I had to rush this one-shot for you. Hope it's OK.  I didn't have much time for research ><