The Halyang

One Shot: Loving Kang Gary

 

"Like finally! I've been offering to work with you for more than a hundred times already..." She paused and changed her excited expression to being upset.
"What??" He asked nervously although he could guess what's on her mind.
"Give me the outline of the video" she held out her hand asking for the papers he was studying. He looked up to her standing in front of him from the couch.

He handed it to her and she took a seat beside him leaning on him. He put his arm around her waist just to cool any reaction from her. He watched her go thru the storyboard prints. When she turned the last page, she turned to him, she was not satisfied with it.

"You put me in your video and we don't even have a scene together??" He knew it was coming the moment she turned to him. "You really don't want me involved do you?" She sighed. "You don't have to have me in it if you don't want to.." He let her finish what she had to say. "I know you don't like your music to be taken lightly.. I know you want it to stand by itself. Having me in it will make people talk. I understand."
He was looking into her eyes the whole time. She wasn't upset. She was accepting him as he is and respecting his work.

He made a sudden move and gave her a peck on her lips to get her out of it. She looked at him, surprised with his action. She is used to him kissing her at random times but not in that situation.  She looked at him waiting for an answer.

"Come here.. Sit on me.." He was patting his lap for her to get on and face him. She did as he asked, her hand on her thighs. "Now listen.."
"First of all, this song was written for you. It is how I feel when you're not around. And you told me it's how you feel too. We both agreed that we're apart to achieve our dreams, we're sacrificing our time together to make a living. But.."
He moved his hands to settle on her waist while she had hers on his arms. ".. When i got you out of the contract, I can arrange our work to best match our time and the parting isn't that much of a trouble. It's a big achievement for me to have you with me so that song is a prequel to this. It's very personal. It's my love for you." She started smiling at how thoughtful and sweet he can be.

"So to answer you... I want you in this video because it's my gift to you. But I wouldn't want the song to be overshadowed by our scenes together, that's why I made the story that way. I want people to understand the struggle and hardship that you went thru working your way up. How people order you around and treat you badly..." He held up a hand to touch her cheek. "How you're very quiet and never objected because your perseverance was what got you through and when you didn't have anything to look forward to, and when you were lost without a cause to fight, I was there. You had a reason to go thru all that because you wanted to come home to me."
She leaned in quickly and dropped a kiss on his lips. "You are speaking out for me... That's most thoughtful. How do I tell people that I am not in love with you when you make me fall so deep?" The love was shining in her eyes.
His phone rang and suddenly they were robbed of their lovey dovey moment. Jihyo leaned in to hug him while he picked up his phone.
"Yes, Areum shi!" Jihyo was suprised and leaned back from the hug to look at him.
"Speak up.. I'm listening.. I know you're gonna bring us lots of money this time" He joked with Jihyo's little sister. Jihyo was not going to be surprised if Areum's giving them a big project but she was a little surprised that her sister decided to call Gary before talking to her like she used to.
After 10 minutes on the phone with Gary she was done making her points and convincing gary to at least talk about it.
"Is my sister around by any chance?" She forgot to ask because she was excited about the project.
"Yes.. She's sitting on my lap listening to me talking to you. She looks really curious" he laughed softly while carressing her cheek.
"Let me talk to her.."
"Unnie.. Sorry I didn't call you first but I was excited and it has something to do with oppa's video. You'll agree with whatever he says anyway, might as well save my time and go straight to him hehehe"
"Yaaa... You're my sister!" She wasn't upset. Her brother and sister get away with anything. She spoil them.

"Are you sure you'll be ok with the new term?" It was the next morning after she told him to sleep over it.  She knows Gary well to know that Gary will not like to make his music a trade item. 
"I think Areum has a point too. KD has been a great support for us. KD is relevant as far as our branding is concerned. And it's Areum that's dealing this project... But if I agree to it, it will probably be based on me doing a favor for Areum. I like that she's going out and exploring her potential now. Previously she had none of that. I know her boyfriend is rich and all but she would want to make something for herself too. If I can help your sister, I think I can compromise a little with my standards" He smiled trying to convince her.
"Her boyfriend may not have as much as you but he was born rich.. Their grandchildren will have millions to live by even if she doesn't work"
"Honey, I am not saying anything bad will happen but we just have to be prepared... We never know if God has other plans. The least I can do is give her this break and she'd earn a few hundred thousands from this and can start off whatever she wants to do.. As a brother, I'd want my sister to be able to take care of herself."
She was speechless. She didn't know how to react to that. She was so touched by his thoughtfulness and care for her siblings and part of her was thinking her sister should not have it the easy way. Gary noticed it and know what's conflicting her.
"Honey... Take it this way. Her wedding's in a few months. Consider this a gift from us to her. You've spoiled them all your life.. One more wouldn't hurt. Besides... I am going to make her agree to my terms. I think it'd be the best for her. I told you I am going to take care of your family. I am going to make sure she doesn't spend all the money."

"That's why you're managing my money as well? Will there be a day I'll have to live without you?" Now she looked depressed. He hugged her close to comfort her.
"Right now.. I am very certain that nothing but death can make me live without you. But I am worried of how you would live if I am no longer around. What if I turned bad and you no longer want to be with me? What if I die?" He felt his tshirt getting wet.
"Don't cry baby... I am just preparing you to be the best no matter what happens. If anything happens, I know you would at least have the money to live by comfortably. I want to be the man that makes you a better woman." 
"But please stay with me as long as you can..."
"Hey.. We were just talking about KD's product placement in our video.. Why are we talking this seriously? Come! Let's see if you can beat me at FIFA!" He pulled her out of the bed and pulled her to the living room, trying to distract her with a game on the xbox.

....
Gary went to the editing studio to see the footage of the shoot Jihyo did the day before. He sent her to attend the meeting with KD to finalize their contract renewal clause. He went through the draft and wanted a few changes after discussing it with her. She was nervous. It was always him making the decision but he was letting her do it. He wanted her to speak up and demand for what she wants. 
"You're in charge of your own life now.. You can even object to my decisions if you want to. But I want you to do what's right for you. I am letting you take the lead for this contract.  This is our biggest contract. We're getting 15 million out of this. and you're negotiating the term for my video. I told you what i want, you tell them that. I showed you how to talk to them, just do what you feel... But feel strong." He gave her a short pep talk before she walked out of the house that afternoon. 

Gary looked at the edited videos and options of footage gary may want to include.
"Hyung.. Your girlfriend is such a good actress. She got that feel right away. It was easy!" He was proud hearing that. "I didn't include this in the scene but you should watch and see how she did". He watched the video of her crying and he felt so sad, mainly because he knows what she was feeling at that moment and it was the reason he wrote the song. "Give me a copy of everything.. And proceed with the scenes I've selected for the videos."

Jihyo came back to an empty home with the cheerful Areum. She insisted to come up to her house to see Gary. Two hours later, Gary walked in and Areum was running towards him to hug him.
"Hey! What are you doing here? I thought you forgot our house already" he side hugged and walked with her into the house towards jihyo. "I assume your eonnie did well today?" He was happy to see Areum in their house after so long. Jihyo was happy to see how close they are.
"She did great. You would be really proud of her. I didn't have to help." They reached the couch jihyo was lazing on and he let go of Areum to sit down next to her and kiss her briefly. "So you managed to get them to agree?" He was asking with a soft caring voice. She smiled proudly and nodded. "It feels good right?" That was what he wants her to learn.. To feel good. "Yes!"
"Now that's my girl!" He hugged her close and she felt all the stress she had released into thin air.
"Awwww..." Areum finally making a sound to tell them she was still there. ".. But are we getting dinner? I am hungry. Oppa, can you cook please?"
"Sure! Anything for you, sis. I owe you for going with your sister today." He stood up and head straight to the kitchen. 
Areum looked at jihyo and sat beside her. "Eonnie... If you ever think of leaving this guy again, i will be the one to give you a brutal beating. I'm pretty sure mom will do too." Jihyo laughed at the sudden warning.
"If I leave him, I am pretty sure I'll die before you can beat me.. he has my heart." Areum was staring at her sister, amused by her words. "And he seem to implant his cheesy factor in you"
"Of all the men you've dated... He is by far the best you will ever have. He's not just taking care of you but our whole family. And Moonie is so obsessed with this brother of ours!" Their baby brother definitely is close with Gary that sometimes Jihyo tells him to not bother him too much. But Gary was OK with it. Gary liked the idea of having a brother to mentor. He joked "it's good to practice.. So I'll know what to do when we have children"

Jihyo left Areum to help put in the kitchen. "Honey... Anything I can help you with?"
"It's OK.. I've prepped up everything.. I just need to start cooking."
"Oh.." She was trying to find a reason to stay in the kitchen and he noticed that.
"But you can sit on the counter and watch me cook" He picked her up and sat her on the counter next to stove so she can have a side view of him. She watched him so focused that and she too was so focused on him that when he turned and kissed her out of sudden, she was surprised. Gary smiled and continued on cooking. "I just felt like kissing you" he explained and she blushed.
When he was arranging the dishes on the table, he was calling out to Areum "My dear sister, can you please help me get the drinks out" to which Areum readily did. Suddenly he felt his head being turned and Jihyo gave him a peck on the lips. She smiled and said "I just felt like kissing a se xy man" He is still not used to anyone praising him out of a sudden. He was embarrassed. 
...

"Jihyo... Kwangsoo and Moonie are hanging out. I'll send you home and join them. Will you be ok?" She knows she was not invited. It must be the guys spending some time doing manly things. "Sure I'll be fine. Go have fun. I'll pack your bags for tomorrow's flight." She just finished a photoshoot and needed the rest before going off to Shanghai the next day.

The next day Jihyo woke up very early but there was no sign of Gary getting into bed. She walked around the house to check for him and he was nowhere to be found. She dialed for him. He picked up after a while.
"Oppa where are you??" she was worried. 
"Oh Jihyo... Ermm.. Where am I.." He sounded groggy.
"Did you drink too much last night??" She was getting upset. She warned him about hangover on a working day.
"I've got a headache right now... Moonie yaa" she heard him waking up her brother.
"The both of you?? Damn! Get me kwangsoo!"
"What??" He was still not fully awake. She hung up and called kwangsoo.
"Yes, noona?.. I just woke up.... Yes, they're here. It was late so I asked them to stay over... No, they didn't drink much..." He was answering to her questions. He was sober.
"Yaa!! You dare lie to me! I just called your hyung and he doesn't seem to understand a single word I said. I am so upset right now! Get him ready and make sure he turns up at the airport. I'll have the staff bring his bags. Let him know I am really upset so don't bother picking me up. I'll have someone drive me straight to the airport." Kwangsoo was out of words to cover for Gary. 

Moonie was sober when he woke up the headache is disturbing. He looked at Gary being in a worse condition. Kwangsoo gave them some hangover remedy and pushed them to get ready. He was quite tough on them. He was desperate. Jihyo was angry and he needs to get them to listen to him as soon as possible.

Moonie reached the airport and went looking for her at the lounge. "I'm sorry... We drank too much last night.." He didn't dare look her in the eyes. 
"All of you know we have an important job today. I would expect you to be the one with some control and handle them. You know Gary gets carried away. I was OK with him hanging out with you because I thought you'd make sure this doesn't happen" She sounded very upset.
"I'm really sorry.." He can't find anything else to say. "I am upset but let's just do this job. I want to get this done so I can just head to Marseilles and calm myself there."

Then Gary went up to her, he was still not fully aware of what's happening but he knew she was upset. "Baby... I'm sorry... We had too much fun last night" He whispered to her, taking a seat next to hers. She turned away from him, not saying a word. She even changed her seat to seat in the flight to be away from him. She ignored kwangsoo too. She only talked to Moonie. Moonie tried talking to her for Gary but she was still too upset she ignored all his points. 

They started filming the moment they reached Shanghai. They were helping a good cause supporting the Smile Cup football match in favor of Park Jisung who had been a dear friend to them throughout the years.

Filming went as usual. It was China and PD specifically told them they need the Monday Couple scenes because he saw that Gary was trying hard to make up to Jihyo during the whole process, to no avail. In a way he wanted to help Gary. Gary on the field and she ignored. She was only nice for the filming. It was hard for him to get her alone because they were all working with too many people around. 

Gary didn't notice that Jihyo have been stealing glances his way often the whole day. She was upset yet she wanted to make sure he is okay. She was worried he would hurt his back again. She had told him a few days ago to be careful with his back but looking at him play, she knows he just gets competitive and forgot about his back pain. A few times she almost forgot she was upset and almost went up to him to check on him but she realized in time.

The only chance he had was on the ride back to the hotel after filming ended. He pulled her to sit in the back with him and she was forced to seat there since the other members automaticall filled up the seats in front and she wouldn't want to create a scene. Kwangsoo and Jongkook were seated in front of them. Jongkook and HaHa knew of the cold war they were in but found that they can't help much but be there. 

HaHa and Kwangsoo was talking a little loud, just to give Gary a chance to talk to Jihyo so others don't hear them. Jongkook was listening and he was too close to ignore the conversation between Gary and Jihyo.

"Baby... You've been ignoring me the whole day... At least tell me something..." He was begging her with his romantic voice that almost always melts her heart. 
She sighed. "I am really upset. I thought you'd come home last night. I packed so you can get your rest when you get back.. But you didn't even call me to tell me you weren't coming home. I was waiting up for you and fell asleep on the couch.."
"I am sorry..." He reached out for her hand. "I was too drunk to know what to do.. My mistake but I am sorry for making you wait. Can we make up? I miss you.." I miss you always helped when he's making up to her. But she was tearing up.
"It's not just that.. I'll be going away tomorrow. And if you had thought about it you wouldn't have to miss me. We don't even have much time together and you're out getting drunk.."
"But you didn't say anything when I asked.. You could have told me to stay in!" He sounded a little upset although he didn't mean to speak in that tone with her. But it was too late. She was already wiping her tears.
Jongkook turned. "Enough... You two better cool down some more before you talk. We've reached the hotel. Jihyo wipe your face" he handed her a wet tissue. Gary knew when Jongkook stops them it means it would get worse if they continued so he was quiet. He had learn to take things slow when it involves her.
The moment the van stopped, she walked her way from the back and quickly got off. Jongkook went after her. Calling her to wait up.
"There there... Don't be so upset. Be the actress now, people are watching... I'm here for cover" he whispered hugging her and walking with her. She accepted his hug readily. She needed the comfort and someone to hold on to while she collected herself.  Gary watched on from behind. He felt guilty for making her cry. It had been a long time since he did that.

After they were done and retired to their room it was already too late. Jihyo quickly made her way to her room and locked herself in. Moonie was warned to not help Gary to meet her that night. "I need the rest. Filming again tomorrow and I have a long flight. So please don't do anything.. I am serious." Moonie didn't dare object to her when she's angry. He hugged her. "I'm sorry... But you'll be gone quite some time. You won't be seeing him. I won't do anything. But sleep over it, ok. I love you" He was being her baby brother. She kissed him on the cheek and walked him out of her room.

Moonie went to Gary's room across the hall. "Hyung.. She's really tired and needs to rest. I think it's best to let her cool down." He talked while walking into Gary's suite.
"Why is she so upset? I really don't get it. Did she tell you?" He was not angry, he was just worried.
"My sister is very sensitive when it concerns you. I totally forgot about France when I asked you to hangout with us. I think she was expecting you to spend time with her when she's going away. Then you didn't go home and didn't even call. Besides being upset for not having time with you, i think she's more upset that because she was worried sick and later found out you were out drunk." He knows his sister.
"Haishhh!" He was upset with himself. "I forgot that too! I was so excited telling her about visiting the Halyang store and having meetings in Shanghai. I know she was going away but I overlooked that she might want to spend time together."
Moonie smiled at his reaction. He knows Gary cares a lot for his sister.
"Thanks, brother. Please take good care of your sister when you're there. And please keep me updated. I'm glad I have you with her. I'm not that worried anymore. I'll try to settle things before you go. But if I can't, I may have to sneak into France within the next few days" He chuckled but he was serious about going to France.
"I know my sister.. Just try tomorrow. She wouldn't want to leave things hanging."

...

Filming continued the next day and by the time it ended it was already in the evening. Gary was miserable. He had a few hours before she goes to the airport. He went to Moonie.
"Give me her keycard." It was an instruction. Moonie took it out of his wallet and handed it to him with an encouraging smile. "I'll make sure nobody disturbs you til 9pm. We're moving out at 10. FIghting!" He was the cutest brother he can ever ask for.

Jihyo had just showered and was looking at her clothes hanging in the wardrobe. She was contemplating whether to call Gary to talk or to wait for him to come to her. She heard the door unlocked and thought Moonie may have come to take her bag. 
"I packed the bag. Take it and then come back. We'll eat before..." SHe was closing the closet door and noticed it wasn't Moonie.
"Haiishhh that cheeky brother!" She sighed and he laughed at her distress face. He went to her and pinned her to the wall opposite the closet.
"We really don't have time... I need to kiss you now." And he gave her a long kiss to make up for the 2 nights he's been missing. Her hand naturally went to his face caressing it while she returned the kiss. The rough kiss turned gentle.
He leaned back from the kiss and saw her eyes closed waiting for more. He kissed near her ear instead and she opened her eyes. "I am sorry" he whispered. She reacted by hugging him close. She stood in his embrace for a while before he leaned back to look at her.
"Baby we don't have much time..." He pulled her to sit on the bed. She was in her bath robe and her hair still wet from the shower. He dismissed the image and refocused on his initial intention. She laughed softly knowing well what he was thinking.
He pulled a chair to sit facing her and held on to both her hands.
"Now, listen to me okay.." She nodded encouraging him with a smile. He reached up to touch her lips "Damn these lips are so distracting!" She laughed at how honest he was. But he restrained himself yet again.
"I am really sorry for being insensitive.. I should have known you'd want to spend time with me before going away. But I was excited about my work here and when I had the time, I clearly showed you I wanted to spend time with your brother and kwangsoo instead of with you." She pulled his hand and he stopped talking to let her have her way. "Come sit next to me here.. I want to feel you closer"
He was so happy with the progress. He had his arm around her. Their faces turned to face each other.
"Ok, i'll continue.. It was my bad. I should have spent time with you. I shouldn't have argued why you didn't object to me wanting to hangout with them.. I know you'd let me do as I wish because you trust me to the right thing. But... Sometimes, I can be foolish too. Next time, can you please at least let me know? I'd choose you over them, anytime" He was talking using his smooth tone that never fails to melt her heart.
"I miss you.." That was her response and he had to laugh at her simplicity. It was always easy making up to her. The hardest part was to get her to listen. Once she listens, he never fails. 
He pulled her up on the bed to lie down while he hovered over her from her side. "I am glad I came in before you changed into your clothes. This is so much easier." He nuzzled her neck.
"Oppa... Did you hurt your back?" She was more worried of his back pain recurring.
"No.. It's fine. Why? Are you planning a rough play?" His words made her blush. He knows she was genuinely worried but he was in a playful mood.

...
"Honey, I need to eat before going to the airport, can you please order some food while I shower?"
He was helping her dry her hair when the bell rung. He quickly hid himself in the bathroom as she opened the door for the food. The whole cart was full of food. 2 tiers of food. 
"You ordered so much!" He hugged her from the back looking on to the food. "I wore you out... I want you to eat well with me before you go. I am really hungry too." He said sheepishly.
"We're just going to eat okay.. Nothing else. I just showered and I am going to the airport in about an hour.." 
"Hahaha okay, ma'am!"
Dinner was spent talking and laughing together. Time passed so fast.
"Oppa... I gotta go now. Moonie's coming." Gary face looks sad and miserably instantly. "You take care of yourself okay. Don't party too much, I'll be worried." He lay his forehead against hers, listening obediently to her. "Make sure you eat on time. I know you'd be busy working but make sure you eat you medicine. And the time difference is going to make it hard for us to call. Just ext me ok. I'll call if there's a convenient time for us both. I'm not going for long, get yourself busy and you won't feel it." He nodded and hugged her close.
"Aren't you going to say anything?"
"Please come back to me." It was short yet sweet to her. She knew what he meant. 
"I love you too."

 

.
.

.
.
Note: 
Events related to this chapter:
- Jihyo filmed Gary's Lonely NIght MV on 27.12.2015
- KD contract was renewed before New Year.
- All RM members participated in the Smile Cup in Shanghai 10.1.2015.
- Jihyo went to Paris from Shanghai on 11.1.2016 late at night.
- Gary stayed in Shanghai for his Halyang Store.