The Bliss

One Shot: Loving Kang Gary

“Hyung… Come over to my place later today to watch the show.  Byul’s cooking dinner for you two too..” HaHa had not met Gary for a while.  They’ve been busy.

“I’ll ask my woman if she is ok with it… hold on” He walks out of his work room to see Jihyo dozing on the couch in front of the TV. He smiled looking at her. “She’s sleeping. I think it should be ok. We’ll be there by 6 o’clock.” Gary ended the call and continued towards the couch. He kneeled on the floor facing her. Bent down, he watched her face as she slept peacefully. His hand moved up to brush her hair away from her face.

She woke up with the soft touch.  She felt his presence and opened her eyes with a smile on her face. “Hello, beautiful.” He was gazing deeply into her eyes, lost in the beauty. “Hello, handsome” she said lovingly and made Gary blush. “You have got to get used to me calling you like that, honey…” She her side to face him, her hand reaching out to his cheek. “You get shy every time and there is no one around. Just us.”

“I am so used to being average… I don’t feel comfortable with ‘handsome’. Calling me ‘honey’ is good enough” He scratched his head, awkwardly explaining himself. She had her arms around him and pulled him to lie beside her. “But I am saying that because I think you are handsome…” She caressed his cheek. They are lying face to face, breathing each other’s air. “Your fans agree with me too. You should live up to it… You’re especially handsome because  of who you are…”

“Well… you do call all those actors and idols handsome too… I don’t think I can compare to them…” It was a laid back conversation between them. He was not offended or jealous. He was telling her how he honestly feels. He appreciates her praise, he just felt he doesn’t deserve such compliment when he knows he cannot compare to so many others. “… you should know that to any woman, the man she loves will always be most handsome.  I would tell others they’re handsome… but never with the same thought or love..” She convinced him with a smile. “If Brad Pitt is in front of me.. and I have to choose between you two… “ she paused to arrange her words but the smile on her faced turned cheeky. “I would choose Brad Pitt…”

Gary’s smile was gone and he can’t help feeling sorry for himself. “… I’d choose him just because I may never get another chance to have that moment most girls dream of…” She was explaining to him calmly and he listened on trying to catch what she actually meant to tell. “but I would always come back to you. It would only be a moment just to satisfy the curiosity and to appreciate the beauty… but it wouldn’t be the beauty I would want to have.” She smiled and her eyes sparkling with love for him. He smiled because it was contagious. “I would want this…” She lightly kiss his lips and continued “because ‘this’ belongs to me and I intend to keep it forever mine” He was chuckling going in for a kiss. It was slow and peaceful.

“I want to be yours.” He leaned back from the kiss and gathered her into his arms.  “How was your trip back to the hometown? Besides crying your eyes out, missing me?” He chuckled and the vibration from that comforts her. “It was nice… My aunts are asking to see you… My younger cousins too… They’re crazy about you… Sometimes I think they’re expecting you to come along with me” She was lying on his chest watching her hand dancing slowly on his chest in front of her face. “I’ll try next time… I am really busy with studio works. Thank you for going away to leave me to work on my stuffs…” It was her main intention going back to her hometown longer than she planned.  She didn’t want to distract Gary when he is rushing to finish off his songs. “I know you write better when I am not around…”

“Because I would miss you so much… I’d resort to living the memories in my head. I managed to finish a lot, by the way… All related to you…” He kissed the top of her head.

They lay quietly enjoying each other’s presence. Jihyo was thinking back to a few months ago…

“Have you thought about the CF?” She had been thinking about it too. “yeah.. but I am not so sure. It’s like taking the relationship to the next level with you. I am not sure if I am ready to reveal all to the public.”

“I thought you wanted people to know. I thought we’re just waiting for a good time to tell the world.” She was not offended by it. She was curious. At this point, she doesn’t care anymore because she knows Gary has good reasons for whatever he chooses.

“Yes, I wanted people to know we’re together. I wanted to share it with the world. I want to show you off to the world..” He was smiling to the ceiling thinking back to how he felt. “..but I don’t care anymore. I want you to myself. I don’t care who knows or what others think. Besides… some people would be questioning why you choose me over so many others…”

“..and you’ll get upset.” She finished the sentence for him. “Let’s just go along and take whatever comes our way.” She felt him nodding on top of her head agreeing to her. “Besides, I don’t want you to get upset over those things. I chose you and no one has the right to question my choice. I don’t have to explain to anyone.” She leaned up to look into his eyes. “But I am going to explain myself to you… so you don’t get too upset when people start questioning…” She sat up and pulled him to sit facing her.

“I have been without you for more than a year before. It was only bearable because I get to see you when we shoot for the show.  It was fine until the day I got to know that HaHa set you up with that girl… It felt like I’ve been hit hard.” She squeezed his hands and threaded her fingers between his. “My heart was suddenly weak at the thought of losing you for good. You leaving the show was the first scare I got. You agreed to come back but didn’t want me back…” He smiled thinking of how she talked him into dating again but he refused. He thought she was desperate and was pressured by the production team. He didn’t want to get hurt again when he was healing.

“It took so long for us to be on good terms and be comfortable… I got used to it and didn’t think I should push you further. I didn’t want to risk it. But when HaHa oppa was talking so casually about you going out with a girl he introduced, it was a hard hit…” Gary leaned in to give her a peck on her cheek and nodded for her to carry on. He had heard bits and pieces of this story from her before but he would not mind listening to her explaining it again and again. He knows she was concerned enough to repeat it so he doesn’t get upset by what others have to say.

“I got really jealous and you went cold when I confronted you.” The pain was still apparent in her eyes. He went in for a brief hug to comfort her. “Let me tell you something…” He wanted to tell her his side of the story. She looked at him with a question in her eyes. “When you confronted me, I was upset. You’ve been pulling me in and pushing me away and got me all confused. HaHa set me up with her so I can forget you and move on.” He the side of her cheek. “I was upset because I made up my mind to give it a try and thought you were with your game again pulling me in and distracting me. You wouldn’t let me move on when you didn’t want me. That was why I was cold. After a few weeks, I realized I was mean to you and you didn’t react like you normally would. I was further confused. I took a few days off work just so I could think clearly. I told Yuri the truth… I was not into her. I apologized although I do think I did break her heart. Then, I thought of us. That was when I called you to have a real talk”

“It was a long talk..” She recalled it. “I told you how I really felt. It felt so good to finally tell you that…” she smiled at the memory. “And I was overwhelmed by it all. I didn’t expect that. I was hoping for it but I didn’t expect it. I needed time to take it in” Gary confessed.

“And thankfully, you didn’t take long… And you had to tell me during filming!” She remembered singing the “Go Staright” song with him in the car. They were both really happy.

“Where else would I get to see you?? I wanted to be sure, I had to see your response, baby.”

 

“Oppa… do you know why I choose you?” She finally broke the silence and Gary knew she was flashing back on their moments like she normally does when they’re silent “…I know you would love me no matter what. I know you would want me happy even if I don’t choose you. But I wanted you. I was stuck on you… I am still stuck on you, So if anybody questions my choice, you should not be upset,  Be proud that of all those people I can choose, I wanted you. Because I know you’re the best for me” He had the happy grin on his face. “Thank you, baby…” It’s her random confessions that make his days better.

….

Dream was playing on the floor with Gary. His favorite uncle. Gary spends a lot of time with Dream when Jihyo’s not around. Jihyo was helping Byul setting up the food on the coffee table.

Jihyo sat on the sofa and watched him. “Honey, bring Dream here.. the show is starting.” Gary picked the boy up and sat next to her. “You should consider getting one, oppa” Byul suggesting what is on their minds.

“It’s OK, I am not rushing into things…” He squeezed Jihyo’s hand and smiled at her to reassure her he is not pressuring her. “I can play with Dream and my nieces when I feel like it.”

“The show has started, concentrate!” HaHa attempted successfully at diverting them.

Gary had his arm around Jihyo “I love you anyhow..” he comforted her with a whisper. He knows she gets pressured every time their friends bring up marriage and kids. She leaned in closer taking comfort in his arms.  She loves how he handles the situation with her. He puts her first.

 

….

“Hello, baby… I just got off stage..” She could hear he was out of breath. “Sit down and take a few deep breaths first…” She knows he always gets excited after he is done with his show. He did as she instructed. “Hah! I am OK now… I had fun and the crowd was so much fun”

“I told you! You get nervous before you go on stage… every time. Luckily you have some friends with you…”

“Yeah they help with the nerves a little… they keep me company on stage.. But you’re always with me right before I go on…”

“On the phone…” She laughed at how little she had to do to ease him of his anxiety. “And by the time you finished you get all hyped up you have to call me again…”She was speaking very softly thru the phone. She was at the SBS award show where he left her to perform at his concert. She got out of the hall to answer his call.

“You’re my peace… I didn’t think I can do it after Gil went away for his break. Thank you for talking me into doing this.”

“I fell in love watching you perform on stage… I would want to see you do that often and make the world see what made me fall in love with you… Now that they see it… No one is going to take it away from me!” She was hinting on her jealousy towards the attention he’s been  getting from the other girls. She knows he loves her but she also knows there is a slight chance where destiny may throw in a twist to their story and take him away. She can’t help to think that he can change his mind the way he did with his previous girlfriend. She feels insecure some times.

“Baby… don’t start now… I call you first when I got off stage… I was walking thru the girls backstage talking to you… I smiled but I wasn’t looking…” He started explaining himself. He doesn’t want her getting jealous. She had told him of her insecurities. He can’t deny his past. She had seen him in those situations.

“I miss you… Are you coming back here? I am presenting the award in 30 minutes.” She decided to not think of it and enjoy the night.

“We are on our way… Wouldn’t miss my beautiful baby on stage. I didn’t have time to change! They were already pushing me to the car.”

“I wish it ends sooner… I am cold in this dress” She was actually shivering outside the hall. 

“I’ll be there soon to warm you…” He was chuckling hinting what was on his mind to her.

….

The moment he reached the venue, she was seated inside. They wanted to give him the seat next to her but he refused. Jihyo looked at him in confusion.  He had been reluctant to walk beside her on the red carpet before the event and now he refused to sit next to her. He smiled to silently apologize to her and took out his phone to text her.

“Sorry, baby… I don’t think I can stand sitting next to you… My hands may wander without me knowing it kekeke” She read it and smiled at the phone. He saw her reaction and was relieved. He wanted so much for the show to end soon.

He didn’t know or think of asking about her dress for the event.  He regretted it. When he saw her in that dress, she was stunning and he just fell for her all over again. He can’t take his eyes off her. He had to distract himself. The plan was to walk the red carpet together but he was afraid his infatuation with her would be too obvious. He walked in front while she was trying to make him stay beside her. She thought he was nervous about the crowd and was trying to boost his confidence walking it in front.  She let him be.

After a few minutes she decided to and sent him an old selfie of her pouting.

“oh my God… please, No!” He was smiling awkwardly at her while she watched him daringly.

….

The moment she got in the MPV, he stood up and pulled her to sit with him in the back row. HaHa and Kwangsoo were chuckling looking at what happened.  

He held on tight to her hand waiting for the car to move. She leaned near his ear. “I am not going anywhere.. I am right here, honey”. He eased his hold on her and smiled.

The moment they reached Pocha Center she went straight to his private room on the top floor to change while he make arrangements with his staffs to prepare for the other guests arriving.

“Dong Hoon, KwangSoo… can you please take care of the rest… I am going up to see Jihyo..” He went up the stairs before he finished his sentence. They are used to it. They know he can’t be apart from Jihyo for long if she is around. “I wonder if they would ever get bored of each other…” Kwangsoo voiced out what was also on HaHa’s mind.

Gary didn’t knock but went in his room.  Jihyo was still in her dress, busy with her phone on his daybed. He sat himself beside her and gave her a peck on her cheek to announce his presence. She typed her last sentence in the group chat and put her phone aside. She turned to him and let him pull her on to his lap.

“Why didn’t you change yet? The rest are arriving soon.” He used his romantic voice, his hand her . “I was waiting for you…” Her eyes were smiling into his eyes and bended down to kiss him. “I’ve been wanting to kiss you the whole night! Since I saw you in that dress… You have been torturing me. ” She laughed softly while her hand naturally caressed the side of his forehead. “You have been avoiding me all night… We are not going down anytime soon, oppa” She was already lifting his shirt off of him.

When they got down, the party had started and everybody was enjoying the meal. They joined in, sitting at the end of the table.  Jihyo stayed really close to him.

“Let’s take a group photo!” His manager announced holding up his camera. “Everybody move towards the middle…” He was looking at them in the phone screen. “Gary, Jihyo, Kwangsso… geti in the frame.” Kwang Soo moved behind since he was tall. Gary cheekily pulled Jihyo to the middle, seeing nowhere to seat, he sat on one of his staff and hugged Jihyo close. They silently agreed to just be normal and not pretend. She put her arms around him and he leaned into her, not caring if the photo might get viral.  They don’t care anymore.

His manager asked “Are you two going to pose like that?? At least one of us here is going to post this on instagram or facebook…” He reminded Gary. “We can’t help it if the photo gets out…” Jihyo answered casually, none of them with the intention to change position. The manager nodded and smiled. He approves of whatever his boss decides. He knows Gary knows what he is doing. “I am just going to be happy in her arms” Gary announced and hugged her closer, a happy grin on his face.

She fell asleep in the car on their way home. He watched her sleep for a while before waking her up. “Baby, we’re home..” She woke up at his voice calling her and smiled. “Let’s go up. I have a few hours before I have to go to the airport.” They walked hand in hand.

“I’ll send you to the airport…”

“But you’ll be sleepy. You can sleep. Areum’s boyfriend will be coming with her to pick me up.. I’ve arranged with her.”

He dialed her number. “Areum, oppa is sending your sister tomorrow.. You can go straight to the airport and wait for her at the VIP entrance… yes, I’ll make sure she packs her passport… ok… Good night, my dear”

“Honey… you had a concert tonight and another tomorrow… Aren’t you tired?”

“It’s OK… We won’t be spending new year together… This will be our last moments of 2014 together.”

She fell asleep in his arms on the couch. He was writing his lyrics and she was watching him work quietly before she fell asleep. He felt her getting heavy on his chest and knew she had slept.  He put away his pen and paper and lifted her to take her to the bedroom, taking extra care to not wake her up.

She woke up the moment he put her down on the bed, already feeling the warmth missing. “Syyhhh… go back to sleep, you’re tired.” He pulled up the covers and got in beside her.  She automatically turned to sleep on his chest. “If you wake up before me… Please wake me up… Do not leave me while I sleep.”

“Ok, honey…” She answered in her sleepiness.

The alarm went off 2 hours later. She leaned over him and watched him sleep peacefully. “Dangshin, it’s time to wake up now…” She whispered near his ear and his eyes opened at her voice. “Good morning, baby” He smiled although he was too sleepy. “Are you ok to drive me? You’re tired.” He smile, nodded his head and sat up on the bed holding her hand. “You go shower while I go check your bag.” He kissed her cheek and got up to make sure she had everything in her bag as Areum told him.

He made coffee and toast for her while she got ready.

“I love you…” She hugged him from the back. He turned to hug her back. “I love you too much…”

“Drink your coffee and eat the toast… “ he pushed her to sit at the dining table and sat watching her eat.

“You’re not eating?”

“I’ll eat later. Anything else that you need?” She shook her head but stood up from her seat. “Where are you…” He didn’t finish his question but got his answer.  She wanted to sit on his lap to be close to him.  He nuzzled her neck while she munched on her toast, smiling happily.

“Don’t flirt with the Chinese guys. I’ll be watching the show.” She laughed. “You’re already jealous??”

“I don’t like other people treating you less than what you are…”

“I don’t mind them… I have you to treat me like a queen… just don’t get jealous. I am supposed to play along. I already agreed to you wanting Sukjin oppa to go with me. He’ll take care of me. Don’t worry.”

She finished her toast and got up, pulling him up. “Let’s go”

He pulled her to him.  “Kiss me… we have another 10 minutes.” He set his alarm lest they get lost in the kiss. She went to him readily.

“Is that enough?” Gary shook his head and she gave him a few more light kisses before pulling him to the door.

“Wait… did you put your shirt in the bag for me?” He opened her bag to show her the shirt he wore the night before and she smiled. “Thank you, oppa.” She held onto his arm and walked out the door.