The Healing Camp

One Shot: Loving Kang Gary

“Hey, you’re back early!” Gary was placing his snacks and coke on the side table, getting ready to watch a movie.

“We decided to end it earlier… everybody was tired.” She explained while she went into the room to put away her handbag and quickly change into her comfy shorts & tshirt.

When she walked out of the room Gary was already seated on the couch with the remote control in his hand, going thru the list of movies on the TV. She sat beside him with her hand on his thigh.

“You’re watching a chinese movie?” She saw him scroll through while thinking of a title she had been wanting to watch. “Yeah, gotta learn some words since I’m going there. What would you like to watch?”

Knowing Gary, she knows he likes drama or romantic movies while she prefers the lighter comedy. “I’ve been wanting to watch this one chinese movie with you. Areum told me to watch it with you. She didn’t tell me the story but she insisted I watch with you. Wait I’ll check her text.” She went thru her text history with her sister for the title.

She read it out to him and he searched for it. He read the movie description. “Interesting… What is Areum trying to tell us this time?” he chuckled. Areum has a way of relating their stories to movies and songs and would want them to watch or listen.  They would do as she suggested and they would find some lessons to learn from those movies they watch. They find Areum’s way of telling them what she observe as an outsider to the relationship, provides good input for them that they could not see being in the relationship. Areum helped them to make sense of things when they can’t. They listen to her although she’s younger.

 

She cuddled up to him and watched “My Old Classmate”. She noticed how Gary would hug her a little tighter when he is touched with the scenes that seem to relate to them.  That made her smile and warmed her heart. They are at a point where they are able to communicate through little gestures like this. He is quite shy in front of people and sometimes with her too so he does not express his feelings towards her as often as he’d like to, but after so many years with him, she knows him well enough to know that he would show those unspoken love through his little actions which she had missed and overlooked during their early days. She had learned his reserved nature that had evolved into trusting her an opening up to her.

“Oppa…” she broke the silence near the end of the movie. “If we ever have to part…” He was surprised with her words but wanted to hear the rest of it. He turned to give her a peck on her cheek to assure her it’s ok to carry on talking. “I hate to talk about it… I never want it to happen.. but if it’s destined, we can’t avoid it.. Can we please part in peace? Can we keep the memories and live on it? I wouldn’t want to hurt you or be hurt by things left unsettled.”

“I understand… if it ever happens, I think I can do that.. tho I don’t know how long I’d have to take to not miss you.. Seriously I can’t imagine not having you around” he laughed nervously. He can’t just say it won’t happen. He knows fate can’t be controlled. If it’s meant to happen it will happen no matter how impossible he thinks it is.

“Me too… The first time we broke up, I was convinced I could move on after some time… And I ended up with you again. I can’t imagine living it a second time after we’ve been through a lot together.. It would be a lot more harder.” She tighten her hold around his waist. “But if it happens, I would have to deal with it. All we can do is to treasure the time we have now and do our best.. We’ll deal with things as they come. If it ever ends badly for any of us, I want us to be able to forgive,” He has the same thought. He wouldn’t want it to be bitter.

“You know what I’ve learned through life? When you truly love someone, you’d be able to be at peace no matter what happens because you know your priority is to make the one you love happy. I think I have reached that point that I wouldn’t be bitter about it if it makes you happier.”

“But promise you’d fight for me and not give up until you had used up all that you can do. Because I know I may not be sensible at times and I may be ridiculous.. but I know you’d always come to your sense and know me better than I know myself.”

“Oh My God… why are we talking so seriously now…” He felt that Jihyo is getting sadder by the moment. She was already imagining things. He pulled her up on his lap to face him, both of them not bothered of how the movie ended. “I promise. And you know I am a man of my words.” He smiled his sincerity for her to see and she was smiling again.  “You’re the only man that can change my mood in an instant. And I love that I can’t control my feelings or reactions around you.”  She leaned in towards him. “Oppa… I’m hungry”. He kissed down her neck. “Oppa…” She spoke with the playful tone. “I mean I need food” He blushed, embarassed he was fooled by her.

“Aisshh…  you get up and cook for us tonight.” He turned it against her, half sulking. “Ok!” she winked, gave him a peck on the lips and got up without objecting as she normally would. As she walked she warned him playfully “Don’t complain on TV that I give you stomach ache. You asked for it!” He laughed. He felt happy and in love. He picked up his phone, finally knowing what to post on weibo for his Chinese fans. His manager has been telling him to post before they go to China. He typed out the numbers from the movie he just watched. “I love you forever..” And he meant those words for the woman he was looking at, standing in the kitchen.

 

….

“Honey, wake up.” His eyes still shut. His phone alarm rang but he can’t seem to open his eyes. He her back trying to wake her. She stirred in her sleep and hugged on to him tighter enjoying the warmth. “10 minutes more please… Snooze it” She took the phone from his hand and pressed snooze. He turned his body towards her and hugged her close in his sleep.

The second time the alarm rang, he woke up and looked at her sleeping soundly next to him. He thought he’d let her sleep while he showers and distangled himself from her. She was still sleeping when he walked out of the bathroom. He looked at the clock and gave her another 5 minutes while he put on his clothes.

“Wake up, sunshine” He showered her face with little kisses. She woke up and felt the light kisses and smiled, her eyes still unopened. “Trouble finding my lips?” her soft voice made him smile a wider smile while kissing her. “Open your eyes and find my lips” his deep romantic voice made her open her eyes in search of his lips. He leaned in to kiss her lips and slowly leaned back, his hands behind her back were pushing her up with him.

“OK, go shower now. We don’t have time for breakfast, I told my staff to buy coffee and bread for us and we’ll pick up on the way.”

“You’re the only man I know that has everything planned to minor details. I really don’t have to worry when you’re around” She spoke while walking into the bathroom. He was smiling watching the door closing. Suddenly the door reopened and her head poked out. “I forgot to tell you something!”

“What??” She has a habit of telling important things last minute and he’d have o rush to get things done for her.

“I love you~” she winked and shut the door. Leaving him smiling for long even as he walked out to the hall.

She came out to him waiting for her on the couch, immersed in his phone. She went to the shoe closet to get their socks and shoes out and called out to him, “Dangshin let’s go!” He smiled and walked to the door getting his socks from her hand. They walked out hand in hand faces beaming with happiness to start the day.

 

….

“We’re having actresses today so I guess Jihyo’s one of the team leaders” Jongkook starting the talk in the changing room. “Gary.. I’m just curious.. do you prefer to be on the same team or being separated during filming?” Gary was putting on his shirt and didn’t look surprised at the question.

“I really don’t mind whichever… But when we’re separated to go on missions far away from other teams, I’d prefer having her near. Otherwise I’m OK, hyung. As long as I know she’s OK.” He answered coolly. He didn’t have anything to hide from Jongkook or the other guys of Running Man. They’re family he can trust and didn’t mind sharing. Besides they have been a great support and always helping out with their relationship.

“But she gets jealous a lot doesn’t she?” He laughed acknowledging the truth in Jongkook’s words. “It gets better now. She said she can’t control it. In a way, I’m glad she’s jealous. At least I am constantly reminded that she loves me enough to not want anybody to take me away from her.”

“You’re just too corny! I feel like puking right now!” Jongkook gets annoyed when he gets too corny or cheesy.

“Try being in love and you’d know..” He looked at Jongkook in the eyes, smiling. “when you’re in love.. try leaving without her for a few months… If you feel like a living dead, you’d get as corny as me”

Jongkook’s mind went adrift. “hyung!” Gary called out for the third time. “Don’t worry.. the right person will come to you some day. Have faith” He patted his back, knowing what’s troubling his mind.

…..

Gary went into Jihyo’s changing room during the break to change clothes. He stood at the door, a signal for all her crews to move out of the room so they can have their privacy. The staff knowing the signal stopped doing what they were doing and excused themselves. “Thank you” he thanked them while seeing them out of the room.

Jihyo turned to watch them leave, a smile on her face, knowing what he was going to say. She turned back to look into the mirror and finish her makeup on her own, lining her eyes and putting on lipgloss. Gary walked towards her, his eyes caught the dress hung on the wall and sighed. She giggled hearing his sigh.

“That dress is a torture!” He complained with a painful face. He looked at her in the mirror smiling at him thru it. “It’s not like you’ve been without me for long… Didn’t think it would affect you that much. Sorry”

“It doesn’t matter how long ago I was with you… It will always have the same effect” He went up behind her and hugged her. “Even in this tshirt, you’re very attractive to me… In that dress, you get that response you just got just now!” He was pointing to the dress blaming it. She found it cute and adorable of him. She looked him in the eyes thru the mirror and smiled a wider and brighter smile. He can’t stand her smile and lowered his head and attended to her neck instead, kissing it.

“Oppa… stop it.. “ Her tone didn’t sound like she meant it so he kept on. “Oppa…” She turned to face him and lifted his lips to hers before he marked her neck. And she was lost in that kiss too.

He slowed it down knowing he wouldn’t be able to stop if he didn’t stop right then. They reluctantly ended the kiss, both blushing a shade of pink. “We got to go now.. Let’s save it for later k” He gave her a peck on the lips and pulled her out of the room. She was still on cloud nine, unaware of her own movements following him.

“Oppa… you promised you’d be home last night. You didn’t come home. You weren’t home the whole day.” She was upset but still calm to explain to him why she disappeared from their home. “You had so much fun with your friends yesterday and forgot our date night… You can be without me for a few days. I need to calm myself.”

He knew he was to blame for it. He got drunk from all the bets he lost playing snooker. He could have avoided the bet but they have been too busy they rarely have time to gather the whole gang to hang out. He thought it’d be ok to give in. He didn’t expect to lose most of their bets. He ended up drunk in his friend’s apartment. By the time he woke up too many texts and missed calls had been received from Jihyo. He forgot he arranged a date night with her. They had always planned a date night if their schedules are too packed. Their schedule were quite packed for the month. He never missed it. He did last night. He expected her to be upset but didn’t expect her to be so calm about it.

“It’s my fault. I’m sorry I got drunk and forgot our date…” He sounded sorry. “ Thank you for being so calm this time…”

“I am calm because I am tired of fighting.. Sometimes it’s good to just get away and calm ourselves. Just let me be alone. Don’t call or text. I’ll be with my parents so I’ll be safe and fine. You don’t have to worry.”

“Alright. But I have filming tonight. I wanted to consult you before I go…”

“By now.. I think you should already know how to handle the questions.” She knew he was referring to questions about them. They have discussed it numerous times before. He just wanted an excuse to be with her.

“OK.. let me know when you’re coming back and I’ll wait for you.” He didn’t have any other choice. He sighed and ended the call.

“Gary, what’s wrong? You don’t look normal. Normally you’d be hyped up and excited.” He tried acting normal but he’s not in the right mood for that. He had Jihyo occupying his mind so he can’t seem to be as active and witty as usual. He is calm though.

 “Oh Jaedong hyung…” He was startled by the sudden pat on his back from the MC of Healing Camp show he was going on. “Well… some woman issues” he smiled. Jaedong is used to the Running Man family so he knows about him and Jihyo. Besides, everybody in the industry knows they’re together even if they don’t admit it. “That’s why I am single… I could never understand them!” He joked.

“No, hyung. She was reasonable. It was my fault. But she’ll be ok in a few days.. just not today” he smiled a weak smile.

“The forst time I went on the show, it was so obvious you were wearing your heart on your sleeve. You are so into her and she’s just not into you.. or so I thought!” Jaedong had been fascinated as to how Gary could get someone as cold as Jihyo to be so soft and lady like. “The last time I saw her, I asked her what I’ve been wanting to ask” Jaedong leaned back on the makeup table in front of Gary. “I asked her when and how she fell for you… you know, because I was always curious.. She used to be so reserved and not that friendly.” Gary chuckled hearing his friend telling him about his curiousity. Almost everybody asks them the same question.

“So you were surprised by the answer right?” He knew her answer to that question. Jaedong nodded, chuckling.

“I wouldn’t have guessed she signed on for the show because you’re part of it!” Gary smiled proudly. “Hyung, that’s part of the reason I can never fall out of love with her. She loves me way before anybody knew my worth… long before I knew my worth. She knew. She never stopped believing in me no matter how bad I treated her.” Jaedong could see his affection towards her by the tears pooling in his eyes talking about her.

“Well… You found your match. Lucky you!” Gary proudly turn to his side and showed off his “Lucky” tattoo. “This is how sure I am of her”

Jaedong is happy for him. “By the way, I’ll be asking a little about you two on the show.. I know you would expect that by now” He nodded, he had prepared his answers.

What he wasn’t prepared for was Jihyo on the phone! Their issues weren’t settled and she was on the phone. He didn’t know what to expect. He was surprised. But listening to the tone of her voice, he felt different. It wasn’t her usual tone. It was deep. It’s the tone when she can’t control her emotions with him or when she talks so fondly of him. It’s normally her tone when they’re talking seriously and lovingly in private. He was surprised. He believed it must have been because they were having issues. Did she miss him already? She sounded like it.

He carried on talking to her, following her lead. Until Jaedong interrupted telling him to tell her he loves her. Jaedong knew he could help Gary with solving his issue with her. He knew it would help with those simple words. Gary got the cue and thought it a good idea. He can actually say it on TV.

“Jihyo… Saranghae”

“I love youuu” He did not expect that but it was a pleasant surprise. He would have jumped up knowing she had forgiven him but he wasn’t sure if she’s doing it for TV or really for him. He surpressed his happiness but it was still obvious on his face.

He called her after the show. She didn’t pick up. He has a day before goes to Shanghai for his work. He wanted to see her. Her voice on the show made him miss her more. He was miserable trying to reach her. She was not home when he reached home that night either. He kept texting her and fell asleep on the couch waiting for her reply.

She walked in at 2am and saw him asleep on the couch with his phone on his chest. She shook her head smiling at the view. She sat next to his lying form and caressed his cheek in her attempt to wake him up.

He smiled even before opening his eyes. He knew she’s back. He pulled held her hands and caressed them as he spoke. “Hmmm… this feels nice. I’ve been missing you.” He spoke to her with his deep voice. “I’m sorry honey. I got drunk coz Iost all the bets!” She giggled hearing how bad he must have felt losing the bets.

“Your luck ran out because you stood her up I guess” She was referring to her disappearing when he stood her up. He laughed at her wit and sarcasm and sat up to hug her. “I know I know. I forgot and I’m sorry.”

“It’s only been a day and you’re so miserable… Did it affect your filming?” She was worried for him. It was part of the reason she agreed to take the call from the TV program. Just to make him feel better and film normally.

“It did until I heard your voice.. I got better after that” He smiled cheekily. “I am very sensitive lately because I’ve been writing my songs. You were sulking and it felt like breaking up!” He complained like a little kid. “I was really calm and serious during filming. It was very emotional for me to talk of my private life. Luckily you were on the phone.”

“I thought of coming home tomorrow but I realized you’ll be busy tomorrow before going to Shanghai…”

“And you know it will affect my mood for Shanghai if I didn’t see you before I go right?” He knew that is always her concern when he has shows. She tried not to spoil his mood as it affects how he performs on stage. He will be extra nice and extra sweet to the fans if he’s in a good mood. She wants his fans to love him for the best that he is.

“I am still upset with the canceled date tho… You’ll have to make up for it when you get back!”

“Anything you want… I promise I’ll make it up to you. Errmmm… Anything from Shanghai?” He was hoping she would not ask for anything because he would not have time to go search for it.

“Yeah I want something from Shahnghai…” She had a twinkle in her eyes, a normal indication it’s going to be hard for him

He let out a deep breath and she giggled looking at him. “Ok.. what do you want?”

“I want you to come back to me safely” She smiled her cute smile that melted his heart in an instant.

“You are turning into a person as cheesy as me nowadays!”

“..and don’t get too close to the ladies!” She warned him with a change of her tone. He laughed nervously.

“Now.. that’s my true Jihyo!”