The Savior

One Shot: Loving Kang Gary

 

“Oh hi…” Gary opened the door to see Moonie standing outside with too many bags.
“Hyung.. Help me with these… I gotta be quick. Your girlfriend told me to send all these here before I go on set.” Gary wasn’t expecting anyone. He knows he won’t be seeing her soon. He was getting ready to go to the airport.
“You got here in time… I am going out in 10 minutes. How’s your sister?” He was pulling 2 suitcases in while Moonie struggles with all the paperbags.
“She’s been working hard… Tired and missing you.” He kept it short. “She said to just stuff the bags in her wardrobe room… She’ll get to it when she’s done filming.”
“She called me when she got off the flight.. But she sounded like she was busy.. Please take good care of her. Tell her how miserable I am without her… The issue with the fans and all.. I didn’t tell her much about it.. I’ll talk to her when she’s more free. Tell her to call me when she is ok..” Moonie took a moment to carefully look at his face. He sure did look tired and miserable. 
“No problem, hyung.. Let’s walk out together… I want to tell you about France” Gary walked out with him to the basement carpark while he tells of his personal experience in France. He was excited about it. Gary smiled seeing him full of youthful joy and excitement. 

It was good that Gary took on the KTO job to go to Beijing.. He knew he would be lonely and miserable at home when she is busy with the Chinese WGM show with Chen Bolin. It was good money and he thought it would be good for Jihyo to get the exposure in over there. He is making lots of money in China and thought he could give Jihyo the same exposure and get her some jobs there too.  She didn’t want to do the show at first. She was reluctant because she is already linked to him.. And she is known as a part of Monday Couple. She thought she may be betraying the fans that have been supporting them for years.
“I know that.. Our fans won’t like it. But I can’t let this chance pass just because you feel obligated to the fans. This is your chance to break into that market. Besides.. fans will try to understand. It’s just a show and for a few months. We’ll make up to the fans in other ways. Even if they don’t understand it now, they will later on.. At least when we decide to announce we’re real” He was going on and on getting her to agree to the project. She was reluctant but thought Gary would know better… So she agreed. 
He was not convinced with the prospect of the project either, but if it goes well, she’d break out there and hit it big. If it doesn’t he can always make her the jihyo that she is with him and carry on with the Monday couple branding. But as her manager, he would have to take the risk to make her achieve the best. He had been planning it for months. But the RM team decided to bring on a fortune teller to the show. He is very superstitious and the fortune teller telling him to not do anything this year is making him question his plan. Now that the news broke, he is seeing what the fortune teller had been telling him. He is more upset with himself than he is with the people who can’t accept Jihyo on her own and are so tied to the idea of Monday couple. 
He brought on the hateful comments towards jihyo with that project. Fans are even scorning and calling her names. Even if she didn’t read it, he read them all and was really angry because the best woman he had ever known was called something else, something she could never be. He went to Beijing with a very upset mind. He had to figure it out to make things better for her and deep down, he was upset with his fans too. But it was work.. He had to go and finish the job. He had to appear ok yet he could not conceal his true feeling much. He is not an actor, he can’t really lie.

“Hello honey… How have you been doing?” Her voice on the other end of the line sure made him smile even in his crappy mood. “I am in Beijing and lonely.. I need you”
“Hehehe.. You put me on this project.. You can’t complain. Besides it’ll just be a few days more before I see you.”
“Yeah… How was your day? You sound tired.”
“It had been a tiring week…with the jetlag, I am a mess!” But her soft laugh showed she was coping fine. She is always the strong woman. “By the way.. Moonie said there’s an issue that’s been bothering you and you need to talk to me about it.. What is it?”
She was free and had the time to listen to him… He was whining like a baby at times that she found it cute of him. He needed her attention. He could just go on and on talking and she would understand that he didn’t mean to complain or be bitter, he just wanted her attention and to get it off his chest. Hearing him telling her about the fans being bitter and so hard on her wasn’t unusual. She had experienced it before when they broke up. Fans attacked her for breaking his heart. She didn’t let it get to her mind for long. She knows some fans are that way and as a celebrity she has to live with it. It’s part of her life. She wasn’t concerned with the fans. She was more concerned with Gary being unhappy about it. She knows Gary has his expectations and doesn’t like it when it’s not met.

“Honey…” She started her consoling part. “I’ve had that before many times. You’ve seen that before. It affected me but not for long. Somehow, I’d have to accept that is how they are. They are just very protective of us.. And most of them love you more than me obviously..” She laughed. “And knowing you, I’d be upset if they love you less… So I am ok. Besides, I am not reading on it much, I don’t have the time to let it fill my mind.. I know you’re not ok with it because it concerns me. But I am telling you now.. I am ok. Life goes on. What’s done is done. We just do what’s best ok. About the fans.. We’ll make up to them as you told me before. They’d be happy if they see the job is not effecting us and we’re happy as we normally are. They just don’t like their vision of us being shattered… Once they see it’s all ok between us, they’ll accept it. Cheer up ok… I don’t like seeing your pics posted online today… It’s not you. I want your fans to see that lovable Gary..”
“Even if I am ok with that… I will still look crappy from missing you.. That I can’t really change.” And she suddenly felt her heart constricting. He has that effect on her.  He didn’t want to keep her on the line for long. He knew she was tired and needed her rest for her work the next day. They said their goodnights and he resorted to the beers in his room. He felt lonely and had to drink himself to sleep.

..
“Good Morning!” Bolin greeted her on set before they were briefed on the filming. She went to him to give him a friendly hug to welcome him. “How has it been?” He can speak some korean so it’s not that awkward to converse. 
“Been really busy since I last met you… The boyfriend is not so happy” she sighed and he laughed at her honesty. She realized she was casually talking of her boyfriend with him.
“It’ll just be a few months… My girlfriend and your boyfriend are the ones pushing this program for us.. They should not complain much.”
“Oh yeah.. How is she doing? She must be happy now that you’re going to be here often.” He shyly nodded. “Yeah.. She’s really happy.. The reason I agree to your boyfriend is because I get to be here… Besides him consistently texting me everyday to be on the show with you hahaha!”
“I am sorry… He is very determined when he has something planned out. Apparently he had been discussing this with her for a long time.. She wanted you to get a break here and he wanted me to get a break over there. He definitely has big plans.”
“I can see that he has a lot planned.. I am actually amazed by him. I thought he’s just ordinary… But after hanging out a few times… He is just amazing. I quite like that he is so humble of his work that most of them are unknown to the public.” He saw her smile proudly hearing him praise her boyfriend.
“Honestly.. I always wonder why women are crazy for him..” He laughed when he realized he was talking to one of the women. She laughed too. “Don’t worry.. People ask me all the time. I guess men do wonder what we women like so much about him.”
“But after getting to know him and seeing you, though we have not spent much time together… I do see what you see in him. And I think it’s really hard for us men to have that kind of charisma and wisdom.. And he is really protective of you… Very protective!”
“Owh really?” She wondered what makes him think Gary is very protective of her. They met up a few times and Gary is not one to boasts on things he does for others.
“Of course he didn’t tell me.. But from the way he deals with this project and how he spends time talking to me. How he explained his intention for this project.. He is very honest about it, he didn’t keep anything from me.. He wanted to trust me with you. He made sure I am not going to give you a hard time before he agreed to this. And he really has a way with people.. Definitely the kind that grows on you.. I just knew him yet I want to do things for him already. He has that charisma.” Jihyo was blushing from all the praising. Guys she had worked with always talk so fondly of Gary. Gary took the effort to spend time getting to know them when he goes on set to see her. He wasn’t meddling into her business but he was his natural self making friends wherever he goes. They loved having him on set too.

They filmed for two days. She didn’t have time to go back home. They were rushing the filming to fit their busy schedules. Gary was back in Korea, still missing her. Texting definitely wasn’t enough. He didn’t want to disturb her either. He knew she must be tired from her packed schedule. He had himself to blame for making her busy. He wasn’t doing it for the money. He wanted her to get the best and he accepted as much jobs as he can for her. He did reject a few and selected a few that benefit her the most in terms of exposure and quality. But he had to sacrifice time spent with her to fit all the jobs into her schedule. SO he spent the day unpacking her bags from her France trip. He smiled looking at the bag labeled with a heart sticker. She told him she packed stuffs she bought for him in that bag. It was quite big. He looked through it. Clothes, shoes, perfume, aftershave and a few art pieces she knew he would like. “You definitely thought of me a lot!” He shook his head smiling because when he unpacked her other bags, it was filled up with gifts for friends and family and very little for herself. He had always loved that of her. She always think about others first and always end up not having enough time to buy herself anything.

Saturday night, she finished her filming for the week. She went home to him waiting for her. The moment she walked into his arms, she felt peaceful and relaxed. He has that effect on her. She always find comfort being near him. He is her therapy after a hectic schedule.
He was looking at her reading her script after they had done breakfast. She is dedicated to her work. He suddenly thought that  she had not been opposing to any of his plans for her. He wondered if she was OK with it because she think of him as her boss or if she really is truly OK with it.
“Do you mind me arranging your schedule as such? We’re home..I am your boyfriend now, not your boss.. Tell me honestly..”
She looked up from her script and  smiled at him. “Why do you ask?” She knew why but she wanted to hear it from him. She was gazing into his eyes. They were leaning on the opposite ends of the couch facing each other. Her legs stretched out on his on the couch. His hands kneading her feet.
“I was just wondering if it’s too much for you.. We don’t really get to spend much time together, I now see that it’s really tiring for you having to fit those schedule and coming home, you have to study the scripts and prep for the filming. Honestly, I overlooked how much work you need to do off the set. I kinda feel guilty for putting you up to this”
She was still smiling her sweet smile. “Honestly, I get very tired from all the work. I have to say, I have tight work schedules at times. Of course I get tired. And of course, you’re the boss, I have to put aside our private affairs and work when it comes to work. I have to be professional and do as told..”
“But you can talk to me if it’s too much so I can make it less of a burden for you..”
“Sure I can.. And I will. For now, I can manage that why I have not talked to you.” She smiled to reassure him.
“As my boss, I have a lot of respect for you. Unlike all my previous bosses, you tell me why you want me to do it and what you expect from it every time. Which makes me feel appreciated as a staff.. Although I know I get extra special treatment because I am your girlfriend too…”
“Of course.. I personally manage you with my team, unlike the other artistes in the company. But am I doing OK so far? I always ask the others if they’re ok with my planning.. I never really asked you though.”
“If I want to complain, I’d have a lot to complain.You’re my boyfriend, I can actually demand for you to free up my time and do less work. But work is still work. I can be professional about it.” He was going to open his mouth but she lifted her hand stopping him to let her finish. “and I know as a boss, you would listen to your staff’s opinions and consider their ideas. Trust me, I will tell you if I am not OK with anything. Besides, you refer all the jobs to me before agreeing to them anyway. I would have objected if I don’t want to do any of it.  So to answer your question, I am OK with you managing me. I actually like that you make me busy for a certain period and then make free for some time to rest. It’s kind of rewarding too.. Especially when I have the boss to myself” she winked at him. He felt better but he made a note to not make her so busy next time.
“OK.. Now that you have me to yourself… Do you want to go anywhere together? Or do you prefer staying in?” She put the script on the coffee table and lay on top of him, hugging him close. “I’ve been out for so long that I prefer staying in and have you near me. Some sleep would be nice too.”
He lifted her from him so he can stand up and pulled her to the daybed near the window. A cosy spot he made to relax and listen to the music while looking out the window. He chose the house for the view of the Han river. He made that space so he can make use of the view. He lay down and pulled her to lie down beside him, both of them facing the view.
“Now get some sleep, I’ll be here to hold you close.” He whispered and kissed the back of her neck before hugging her close.
She turned her body to face him. “I’d rather face you than the view.” She caressed his face lovingly. “I missed you” He too, had his palm on her cheek. “I know. Now close your eyes, I’m here with you.” He kissed her forehead and held her close as he said those words. He watched her sleep and fell asleep. 

Monday and Tuesday were spent filming their show. He knew she was still tired from her hectic schedule. She had Sunday to rest but it wasn’t enough. He spent Sunday pampering her, making sure he cooked for her on time, making sure she slept well, making sure she gets his affection whenever she needs him. He made her feel like a queen. Even Monday and Tuesday, he was very protective of her during filming. He took care of her during breaks. He made sure she got her rest and eat her food.
“Oppa.. You’re really taking care of me these few days. I am OK.. Go and have fun with the rest. I just need a nap. I’ll be fine.” She felt guilty having him with her all the time. He even stayed with her in her changing room while the rest are hanging out together.
It was a small room with only a chair and a dressing table with some space for a few of her staff to move around. She was leaning her head to lie on her arms on the table. He stopped her.
“Jihyo.. Wait..” She looked up at him… He took a towel and spread it out near the wall. He reached for her hand and pulled her to him. He sat down at the edge of the towel and leaned against the wall, his hand pulling her down “lie on the towel” he patted his thigh for her to lie her head there. She did as told. “You’re the best, honey.” She lay down on her side facing him and held his hand while she slept on. He had a free hand to go through his phone while waiting for the break to end.
“Baby… Time to wake up” he whispered while softly caressing her face. She woke up and instantly smiled. She knew it was him waking her up even before she opened her eyes. She her back to look up at him. “How long did I sleep?”
“30 minutes… Was it good?” He spoke with the soft voice he always use with her. She sat up beside him, facing him. “Yes! I feel a lot better now. Thank you, honey.” She kissed him briefly but he held her to him for a longer kiss.
“Oh come on!” Kwangsoo walked in on them kissing. And they instantly laughed at his reaction. He always caught them in that situation. “Don’t you get tired of each other already?? It’s been so many years…” 
“Kwangsoo, come here” Gary said as they stood up. Kwangsoo went to him readily. Gary had his arm on his shoulder.
“If you have a woman… Make sure you treat her good no matter how long you’ve been together.. That’s the key to staying together…” He sounded serious with his advise but Jihyo was smiling expecting a twist in his next words. “That’s why women never stayed long with you! You don’t even know that!” He patted his cheek and Kwangsoo was staring at him annoyingly while Jihyo laughed at him.
… 
“Oppa.. Wake up! You have to go to the airport!” Gary didn’t feel like waking up. “Can’t I just go with you tomorrow?” 
“No! Get up!” She pulled him out of bed and pushed him into the bathroom.

“Here, I packed you some breakfast for you to have in the car,” she gave him the foodpack and a coffee tumblr, pushing him through the door. “Quick, they’re waiting for you downstairs.”
“But I want to go with you tomorrow..”
“Oppa.. You don’t have time. We’re going to avoid being seen together for my new show. We’re going to his country…”
“Let them speak.. We’re not saying anything anyway..”
“Oppa please.. Make it easy for me this time.. Just go..” She was worried he would be late for his flight. She didn’t want anymore discussion on it. She just wanted him out the door to catch his flight.
He sighed and left.
“Wait..” She was calling after him but he was already near the elevator and she didn’t want her neighbor hearing them outside. She went inside and got ready to go out for her meeting. She was late because of him.
Her work ended late that night. He didn’t text her.
“How is it there?” She texted.
“just ok. Busy entertaining.” It was short reply. 
“OK.. I’m going to bed now. See you tomorrow.”
“Goodnight”

She was there for the Taiwan fanmeeting. She saw him at the press conference venue. He looked tired. She didn’t have a chance to talk to him personally. Even at the venue it was hard getting close to him because everybody was watching them. She didn’t know most people at the backstage and would not want to risk any media seeing them in their private moment.
They carried on as usual. But it felt different for her. Gary was quite distant. Just when they were getting ready to go on stage she went close to him.
“Oppa are you okay?” She was worried. Something was definitely bothering him.
“I’m OK.. Don’t worry, I won’t ruin it for your show.. I’ll keep my distance.” And that was the moment she caught on what’s bothering him. It was her. She shook her head smiling at him being the sensitive guy. She should have known the moment he walked out of the house without saying goodbye. 
They were walking out and she didn’t have the time to talk more. They started the show and he was definitely a little reserved. It was their last fanmeeting for the leg and she thought their fans should be receiving something special. She turned to him and whispered. “I’m sorry. Let’s just be us tonight please.” He was surprised she didn’t want to carry on the act. He thought she wanted to lay low and let the fans focus on her partner for the new show. “Are you sure?” He asked for confirmation.
“Let’s make this special” she winked a little and he was happy. She knew it takes very little to make him happy. And she knew it will also make her happy on stage tonight. 
She was happy. Their mood changed for the better. Gary was being playful and she was happy with the fans. She wanted to get close and climbed on the speaker while they were all busy dancing. Gary was leaning down dancing silly with HaHa but his eyes suddenly caught her shoes going high up. “Jihyo!” He was panicking but he stayed cool and walked towards her. He remained calm but his face definitely gave it off. He was worried for her safety but had to think quick to make it seem natural to get her down safely. He thought quick and he was near her. He held tight on her arm as he was pushing her to scare her. He meant to tell her it was dangerous if she wasn’t careful. She was shocked at first but was relieved the moment she saw it was Gary holding on to her. His tight hold on her arm made her understand his intention and she smiled apologetically at him while following him down to safety. She was also proud that he handled the situation really well and didn’t freak out as he normally would.
The rest of the show, he was constantly watching her and she kept herself close to him knowing he was worried for her.
By the end of the show, they were glowing happily having entertained the fans and being able to show off some of their true selves to the fans.

All of them except Jihyo were going back that night. Jihyo had a job to attend to the next morning before she was headed home. But she wanted to see Gary. 
“Moonie, bring me to your hyung’s room…”
“Sure… But why is it that you are the one going to his roo every time instead of him coming to yours?” He was a little upset that it was always his sister going to him.
“Hahaha! You must think that it doesn’t look good for me to go to the guy’s room right?” She knew what her brother was thinking. “I used to ask Gary oppa that too.. He gave me a good reason..” She looked at the incoming text on her phone. It was Gary telling her she can come after 5 minutes. She looked up at her brother waiting for her to continue.
“I was a little upset myself when I asked him.  But he said it was for my own good… If I walk into his room covering my face, if people see me, they’d know I am a woman but they wouldn’t know for sure who I am. If we get caught, he could always go out and admit he had a girl over and it could be any girl. He said people will believe it because he used to live that way. If he takes the blame, they know they can’t say anything more. If he is caught going into my room.. Although I can deny it’s him, my reputation will still be at stake because a man entered my room. It would either make me admit to the real relationship, which is something we avoid, OR I’d have to admit I have some other man coming into my room at night. Both are not good to me.. For now. SO he said, it’s better for him to take the blame…” 
Moonie thought that it makes sense. In fact, he thought that Gary is a great man for thinking ahead. “Wow.. I never thought of it that way… Damn, he’s really a great man!” Not that he had ever thought less of Gary. But right at that moment, he was far more impressed with Gary. She saw the admiration in his brother’s eyes.
“You know… That’s why I rarely question his intentions although I do seek for explanation if I want to understand what he’s doing. I always trust him to take care of me well” She reassured her brother. “Now take me to him.” She put on her hood and her face mask and walked out with him.

“Hyung, I brought you your dream girl!” He was acting like a hustler bringing a girl to the big client. He laughed out at him for making this a scene for his acting practice.
He went out of the room right when Jihyo got inside And shut the door.
“Your brother is definitely going to make a good actor some day” He pulled her into his arms and dropped a kiss on her cheek.
“So are you packed for your flight?” She looked around and saw his clothes still not packed. “Oppa! You’re going to be late. Put on your clothes and go to the airport. You only have 5 minutes. I’ll pack our clothes and bring it with me tomorrow.” But he wasn’t moving. His arms were still around her waist. He chuckled looking at her worried face.
“I changed my flight to tomorrow…”
“What??” She looked more worried. Going back with him will definitely make them talk.
“I’ll go early in the morning.. We won’t be on the same flight.” She let out her breath she held in waiting for him to talk. “But why? You’re going to see me tomorrow anyway…”
“And waste the night away from home?? Might as well take this opportunity and stay.. We can pretend we’re on a short vacation overseas” She was still thinking of the consequences that may arise from it.
“I’ll just say I had a meeting and missed the flight. Don’t worry, we’re safe. Let’s just enjoy the rest of our time here.”
“But there’s no way we can get out of the hotel…”
“Who said anything about going out??”

The next morning, Gary went back a happy man, smiling and talking to every one he met on his way home.
He was happy and she was late for her meeting.