The Dream Man

One Shot: Loving Kang Gary

 

“Hi oppa…” she tried sounding bright. As bright as one can at 3 am. The filming of her new drama just ended. It’s very normal. She texted him and as usual he would cal within 10 seconds. She knows he’d be waiting for her to finish. She text just in case he’s already asleep. He needs his rest too.

“I almost fell asleep waiting for you to finish..”

“You should just sleep. It’s not like we talk for long anyway. We’re both sleepy at this hour” He can hear her yawning and smiled.

“I need to make sure your day went well. I don’t want to wake up early wondering while you’re either still sleeping or already off to work.”

“As usual.. my day was ok. Nothing unusual. You don’t have to worry. You know the first person my staff would do is to update you if anything goes wrong.”

“But I don’t want anything to go wrong. I need to know that you’re getting enough food and enough nap time.” She was already laughing silently trying not to attract attention of the people outside her trailer. People are still going around cleaning up outside.

“I think I should insist that the put in working hours and nap breaks clause the next time we deal a contract.” She could not contain her laugh at how serious he made it sound. Suddenly there’s a light knock on her trailer.

“Oppa, someone’s at the door. I’ll talk to you tomorrow ok. Love you, good night.” She kissed the phone and ended the call.

She quickly opened the door, expecting her staff to update her on tomorrow’s schedule and secretly hoping they had food with them.

“Syhhhhh!!!” the man at the door trying not to draw attention because he knows she would scream her surprised reaction. She held back her scream in time but her eyes lit up like a puppy would. She pulled him in and shut the door.

“What are you doing here??” she whispered.

“I was bored at home. And missed you. So I drove out here.” She was not going to complain. She was happy to see him in front of her. It had only been a few days since she last saw him on set but it had been 2 weeks since they had any private time. He put down the plastic bag on the small table and hugged her close.

“I brought food too. HD told me you didn’t have supper yet.” It was a 2-hour drive that’s worth driving because he can see how happy she was to see him at the door and especially happy at the mention of food.

“You’re free tomorrow? Want to see me film?” Both were hungry and were munching on the fried chicken.

“You don’t mind?”

“Of course I don’t . And there is no intimate scenes tomorrow so it’s not that nerve wrecking having your boyfriend watch you getting too close with another man.”

“I would rather spend my time sleeping in here than watching that. Warn me if there is any.”

“But you can sleep in here and walk on set whenever you want… My call time is at 9. Just make sure you’re dressed appropriately by then as HD will be coming in here for makeup.”

He cleaned up the food and trashed everything on the table while Jihyo went to the small bathroom to brush her teeth and get ready for bed. By the time Gary came out of the bathroom, Jihyo was already sleeping on the queen sized bed. He closed the curtain separating the bed from the rest of the trailer and went in beside her. She automatically turned towards him and lay her head on his chest.

“good night” he kissed her forehead and slept peacefully.

….

“Honey, wake up..” Gary was up early. It was 8.30am but he had washed up and smelled so good. Jihyo woke up at his first call of her name, smiling, happy to have him around.

“Why are you up so early? I am supposed to be working, you’re supposed to sleep…”

“I am supposed to take care of you. Now, get up and take your shower, I made some toast and I’ll make coffee.” He pulled her out of bed and pushed her into the bathroom.

When she was done, she saw Gary busy texting on the phone. She sat down and took the toast and started eating. She watched him so absorbed in his phone chat. She was looking at the serious working-mode face. She loved seing how focused he is when he is working. He looks very manly. It made her smile admiring him across the small table.

He knew she was in front of him. He just had to finish some business first. The moment he was done and looked up at her, she was smiling.

“Why are you smiling?”

“because among all my boyfriends… you’re the hottest.” And as she expected, his cheeks turned red and he was smiling awkwardly. That made her smile with her eyes too. She loves how humble and transparent he is. His work persona may seem very confident and vain in some circumstances, but when he is himself around people close to him, he is the humble and honest man everyody loves.

“So what do I do today?” he changed the subject. But her eyes still fixed on him, smile still fixed on her lips, admiring him still. “Stop doing that! I am uncomfortable right now.” He was a little restless. And she laughed softly at him.

“What?? I’m just looking at you and smiling” she pretended not to know what was going on. Gary sighed, out of words. She stood up and moved to sit sideways on his lap, touched her nose to his, “I just fell in love with you all over again, watching you… right now, you’re just you, the simple, loving man that made me the envy of many women out there.”

“So don’t leave me alone for too long… I need to be reminded often that I am loved.” He hugged her close. “A few more weeks.and we’ll get back to normal. Busy but normal.” She reassured him although he is aware of her schedule.

HD didn’t know her boss had company. As usual, she would just let herself in to wake her up… as late as she can, to let her have just that extra few minutes of sleep that she needs. That morning, she walked in on them kissing.

“Oh sorry! I forgot you’re here!” but she didn’t go out of the trailer but stood there like its normal. It was a normal scene for her. She had seen it too many times to care. It wasn’t awkward for Jihyo since she shares a lot with HD. But Gary was shy. He doesn’t like being affectionate in front of anybody. Holding hands and simple gestures are things he is ok with around people he is familiar with. But that situation was not something he is comfortable with. Jihyo stood up and pretend it didn’t happen to make it less awkward for him. She went to HD and talked work right away.

“Oppa, I’ll be doing my makeup here… you can go sleep now.” The moment she pulled Gary out the seat HD got to setting up the table for makeup. Jihyo closed the curtain and made him sit on the bed. “Get your sleep. I know you’re tired. When you wake up, just call HD and she’ll guide you to me. You can watch me work if you want to.. or just hang out here and I’ll come back during my breaks,”

“OK.. just go work. I’ll walk around if it gets boring in here. Don’t worry about me.”

“But don’t leave before you see me ok?” He’d be going home but she wants to a goodbye.

“You want me to leave? I can actually stay here and go home with you on Friday…” he didn’t get to finish but she was already kissing him out of joy.

“OK, you can go now. Go do your work and come back soon.” He lay down in bed. He was really sleepy and tired. Jihyo left him and walked out of the curtains towards HD. Her face glowing.

HD heard their conversation so she knows the reason for the glow.

“If he’s around, I’d save a lot on blusher.. and I don’t think you’d need makeup, I’d be hanging in here doing nothing and get the credit for making you glowing beautifully” she joked.

Gary treated the trip as a getaway, he only got contacted for important matters at work. He spend the two mornings in bed catching up on sleep as soon as Jihyo started working. He orders lunch for the whole production team working on set. He didn’t expect her to spend her lunch time with him, he went out to meet and hangout with her friends there. He felt good that he didn’t have to hide things around them. It is a practice for everybody on set to sign contracts to not let anything out. It is also a silent code among celebrities to not talk of each other’s private life unless made public. Even if it’s made public, they try not to talk.

Jihyo was happy to have him watching her work too. She would casually go  to him for a hug or sit on his lap in between scenes. “Ya! Why are you so tensed?? Just pretend like nobody’s around” Gary would freeze up when she’s overly affectionate with him.

“If I pretend like nobody’s around, you won’t even have a chance to get back to work.You know what I’d do to you” He whispered and got her blushing.

“OK, don’t pretend. But relax.. nobody’s gonna tell.. here..” she pulle his hand to place it around her waist. “see.. that’s easy right? Start with that.” She wanted him to feel relaxed and free like she does. “You should start now.. when we finally announce, people won’t doubt that we’re in a real relationship. If you freeze up like this they’re going to say we’re faking it..” They’ve been planning and waiting for the right time to announce. It’s not anytime soon but she knows he wouldn’t want the wait go to waste if people are to say they are faking it.

The director was looking at them not too far away from him. He walked up to them. “Sorry to interrupt..” They came apart and gave their attention to the director. “No problem sir, you’re the boss here.” Gary was his cheerful self. “you’re starting now?” Gary was ready to go sit with the rest of the crews but he held him back. “No, no.. it’s ok. Not starting yet. They’re getting the set ready. I just came here to tell Jihyo that if she could pretend the hero is you, it would be perfect for my scenes.” Now Jihyo thought it sounded awkward for her boyfriend to listen to that. But Gary was cool. “Whatever works, I’m fine. I’m better off knowing she’s pretending it’s me. At least I know it’s for me and not some other guy. I’m quite the jealous type!” He joked to Jihyo’s relief.

“I’ll try..” Jihyo gave it a slight bow and the director carried on with his work calling up his assistants to follow him back to the set.

“So all this while… have you been imagining all your co stars as me?” He winked at her, teasing her. She nodded. “That’s the easiest way to get in character with them...”

“Ahhh…” he held her hand in his and got his face close to her so she can hear him whisper. “Just don’t get carried away with it… Once the director shouts ‘cut!’.. make sure they’re not me anymore.” Jihyo started laughing softly when he was trying to sound like a jealous boyfriend. “and don’t kiss him the way you kiss me!” he suddenly remembered how her kisses affect him and became really jealous.

“That.. never. Don’t you worry.” She entertwined her fingers between his and held them tight.

“Bye everybody!” Gary waved cheerfully at them, happy to bring his girlfriend home with him. The past few days have made him close with the crews.  Jihyo was waving as she got in the car too. She was tired but watching Gary made her smile happily, proud of her man being loved by the people he just met.

“You know… you should come more often… They like you a lot…”

“They’re just bored of seeing the same people.. I am just a like a break from the work stress I guess. But it feels nice to  actually cheer them up just by hanging out with them. Your assistant is really good. If he ever needs another job, tell him to see me.”

That is one of the things she admires about him. He sees potential in others and unlike other people, he gave people equal chances no matter how small or new they are.

She leaned and kissed his cheek briefly. “Thank you for coming here and staying with me. I know you’re busy. I really appreciate it.” She held on to his arm and leaned her head on his shoulder.

“Some of my work can wait.  Besides I need to get away to rest too.”

“Did you get enough rest?” She sounded sleepy. It was 2 am. The road was lonely and she wanted to stay awake as much as she can to make sure Gary stays awake, driving through the dark night.

His palm touched her cheek. “Honey, lean back in your seat and sleep. I am fine..” He knew she was trying to stay awake for him. “I’ll stop by the road and take a nap if I’m sleepy. I  will make sure you’re safely home so don’t worry…”

“OK, but can I hold your hand when I sleep?” She wanted to feel him close. He chuckled at her request but held her hand anyway. He started singing for her with his husky low voice.

“I love your voice..”she said sleepily and soon, she drifted into slumber.

2 hours later she felt his hand caressing her cheek. She woke up and saw him already at her door. “Hello, princess… You’ll have to get up now. She was still in a dazed state but stepped out anyway. He didn’t think she could walk up to the elevator in that condition. He closed the door after pulling her to him. He turned his back towards her and leaned down. He pulled her hand over his head.

“Come.. get on my back, I’ll carry you up.” She did as told, she was too sleepy to think and as soon as he walked she was asleep.

She was lying flat on the bed when she woke up. She didn’t remember getting into bed. She didn’t remember changing into her sleeping shirt either. His arm draped over her waist and she could feel him breathing air near her ear. She turned to him and watched him sleep.

“Jagiya…” she his cheek, calling him awake softly and stirred in his sleep, his hand autmoatically pulled her close, so close, they were breathing each others’ air.

“Why are you up so early… Our call time is at noon…” He opened his eyes and looked at the clock on the wall. “Oh, it’s 9 o’clock…” He shrugged. She was just watching and listening to him quietly, smiling at his cuteness.

“We can wake up at 10.. 1 hour to go.” She saw his crooked smile after she said it.

“If we shower together, we can get out of bed at 10.30…” He suggested. She knew what he was up to but could not get out of bed in time. His eyes lit up, pinning her under him.

“Hurry up! We don’t have time now…” She was buttoning up his shirt while he combed his hair. “I am fine.. just go get dressed. You’re still in your bath robe”

“Oh yeah! She went into her walk in closet. She didn’t even have her clothes ready for the appearance. “Oppa!” she shouted and he hurried to her, all dressed up and handsome. She panicked. She didn’t know what to wear.

“What’s wrong??”

“I don’t know what to wear.. “ she looked at him and got even more stressed out. “Of all the times, you had to be so well dressed today!” and he laughed at the irony.. she had always wanted to see him dress upand looking sharp because she thought people ought to see how handsome he can be when he choose to. But just when she’s not ready withsomething to match, he decided to look his most handsome. He chuckled and hugged her.

“I got your clothes ready.” he leaned in and retieved a pair of tight black pants with a designer black top. She turned to look at it. She frowned.

“Oh my God! That’s like the perfect match for your outfit..” He was confused because she was still stressed out.

“so?”

“Oppa, this is a public casual event… I appreciate this.. but wearing that will definitely make up top news.”

“Oh yeah..” He overlooked that matter. He is so used to buying her outfits to match his but they never wore it on same occasion. He forgot they’re not supposed to be perfectly matched when he was preparing her clothes.

She was looking around for a solution… Picked up a large wool top. She put on the clothes he picked out and wore it over them. When she was done she looked in  the mirror and looked at him.

“Darn… you look so much hotter. I don’t even have time to apply my makeup or do my hair..” She looked around and found a huge hat and simply put it on. He laughed at how she chose the simplest way out.  She looked at the time.

“We’re late, let’s just go now..” She turned to head out but saw him standing at the door waiting for her. “Damn! You’re so good looking!” She was complainnig because she didn’t feel she’s pretty enough to match him.

He held her hand to stop her. “Hey, calm it.” He held both her cheeks and puckered up to her. “You’re beautiful… no matter how you’re dressed… Your smile alone is enough to captivate people…” He held her closse. “Now… don’t get stressed out. Smile. Be happy because we’ll be seeing the people that love us both for what we are..”

She was already smiling, feeling a weight lifted off of her. “Besides, I have the most handsome man with me… I should be glowing by your side.. ”

“Hahaha! I should get changed” he pretended to look for another top.

“No! Don’t you dare! I’m going to show you off to the world today!” She pulled him out towards the house door.

“Let’s do this, handsome!” her eyes twinkling trying to make him shy.  His face was already turning pink. She leaned in to whisper. “You’re y too… I feel like canceling the event right now” she joked.

“Ya! Stop it! Let’s GO!”