His Woman

One Shot: Loving Kang Gary

MCOS 13

“Honey… wake up please... We’ve got filming this morning.” He turned to look at his phone on the bedside table. “It’s only 5am… the call time is 730am.” He pulled her down to lie beside him and hugged her close. “Why so early? Don’t you want to cuddle some more? You’ve been clinging to me since I got back. Getting tired of me already?” A sleepy laugh accompanied his question.

“The guests today are all actresses. I am nervous when actresses like them come on the show. I get intimidated. I need to prep myself. I need my confidence.” She sighed although she was already cuddling up to his form.

“You feel inferior to them? Why?” He her back, giving her some peace with each movement of his hand. He was still half asleep. “They’re so beautiful and talented. I feel so small around them.” She was staring into space, her mind occupied with the image of them towering over her.

“Hmmm… every time you feel intimidated, just remember that none of them could have tamed the beast in me. Only you. They can stand in front of me and I’d still choose you in a white t-shirt…” He turned to lean over her and her cheek, tucking her hair behind her ear. She smiled into his eyes. “And this smile is so contagious, you have me drowning in your beauty” his thumb touching her bottom lip. “And these lips sing the best of love songs, my heart feels like bursting every time you kiss me” The smile in her eyes got deeper with love for him.

“Always remember, you are my woman… I will pick you up when you feel low.” He gazed into her eyes. He slowly scooped her up and off the bed. Before he could carry her steadily, both fell back on the bed.

“Hahahaha! You know you can barely carry me… why did you even bother trying to carry me out of bed in this position??” She was laughing so hard at him. She appreciated the thought but it was just too ambitious of him it was a funny scene.

She got out of bed by herself and he was sprawling on the bed chuckling at himself. “Come with me..” She reached out her hand and his hand reached out to hers instantly. “Let’s shower and I’ll help you shave.”

She had an earlier call time. But he went with her, arriving early. He greeted each of the beautiful actresses. He was familiar with Yeo-Jin since he met her a few times on set of Jihyo’s drama and they have had meals together before.  She was a great friend to Jihyo, always helping her with her scenes. While Jihyo had her makeup done, he was outside chatting with Yoori who was already made up.  He was in a really good mood. He was the nicest gentleman that morning.

“So… how long have you been together?” Yoori started asking personal questions since he was already comfortable talking to her. “4 years with a year or so break in between…” He scratched his head, embarrassed to be talking about the relationship. “So it’s true you were together before! I guess it was hard dating an actress right?” She was friendly with him and he was comfortable talking to her. “Yeah, it was hard. That explains the breakup. But I learned a lot through the years. It wasn’t easy but it was worth it.” He said it with pride and love. Yoori can see how much love he has for the woman.

“My husband used to complain a lot when we were dating… but I have a patient man. So we learned as we go and the marriage turned out good.” She was happily telling him of her marriage.  He felt how happy she is with her life. He wanted to head down that road. It is too early for Jihyo.  He understood how hard Jihyo had worked to reach this far. He wouldn’t want to tie her down.  He would let her achieve her dreams before settling down.

Jihyo came out of the dressing room to them laughing together, deep in conversation. She felt jealous.  Gary doesn’t normally get too close with female guests. He felt her looking at him and turned. He stood up and went to her, excusing himself from Yoori.

“You’re done?” She nodded and held onto his arm to walk out to the briefing room. He released her hand from his arm and put his arm around her instead. “This is much better. We don’t get to walk like this often.” He was definitely in a good mood and she likes it. “You’re wearing that tee for my song?” She nodded. “Thank you, baby.” She rarely wears statement tees. It was an old t-shirt and she wanted to show her support for his new song.  Besides, it is written for her. She should show her appreciation.

 “And why are you so bubbly today? Because of the guests?” she was curious. “Because since I got back, you’ve been showering me with too much love, I’m so high right now” He kissed her on the cheek.

They were the first inside the room.  He sat on the table, facing her standing in front of him. Arms circling her waist. “You’re beautiful in your simplest ways… don’t feel small in front of them.” He remembered what she told him that morning. “And I think you’re hot” she whispered into his ear and kissed her way to his lips.

“Hel~lo~ there!” Yoori announced her presence as she stepped into the room with Yeojin. The kiss immediately ended as she turned towards the voice. Gary was cool, smiling at them. He wasn’t embarrassed. Jihyo was. She greeted them shyly.

“Sorry to disturb you lovebirds.” Yeojin apologized. But Gary wasn’t letting Jihyo out of his arms. “Aren’t you letting go?” Yoori laughed looking at Gary holding on tight to Jihyo. Jihyo was blushing. Gary pulled her in to whisper “keep your head up” to her before letting go.  She joined Yoori and Yeojin as Gary went out of the room for a smoke.

“You’re such a lucky lady… After four years, to have him all over you like you’re just dating… I envy you!” Yoori spoke honestly as she is used to. Yeojin saw that Jihyo was uncomfortable with random people commenting on her private life. Jihyo was shy. “He just got back from Singapore yesterday so he’s extra affectionate today.” She was trying hard to explain the situation to a woman she had just met. Yoori put her arm around her. “You don’t have to explain dear... We all had gone through that phase... although it didn’t last as long as yours.  I have to admit, he speaks very highly of you. He is a great man indeed. A rare find.” Jihyo was speechless hearing Yoori praising Gary after just meeting him for a brief moment this morning.

 Jihyo was tired. She didn’t get much sleep last night and she woke up early. She decided to keep it low for filming. Sukjin will be the best partner for that and he requested to be with her if there’s a choice.  She left Gary for the female guests. They would normally want to partner up with him. Gary was the last one chosen out of all the men, to her surprise.  The female guests knows that Gary is obsessed with Jihyo and sometimes don’t get along well with female guests although he does try hard to make them feel comfortable. All of them thought it would be best if Jihyo sees him as their last choice. They have seen Jihyo with him this morning and thought it could be awkward if Jihyo gets jealous.  Some of them had heard from other guests that Jihyo does get jealous although she doesn’t show much. They didn’t know Jihyo well but decided it’s the best.

Gary was surprised to know Jihyo had the first choice but didn’t choose him. She knows well he isn’t comfortable with female guests. But he didn’t mind her decision. She probably has her reason.

He cannot act.  It was so hard to act with such a powerful actress he had to do a few takes.  Jihyo finished up earlier shooting her scene and went to watch him.  She was admiring how cute he was trying to act. The PD shouted ‘cut’ to end the scene after Yoori splashed the glass of water onto his face and got into his ear. He went straight to Jihyo. She retrieved the towel from the table to wipe his face and his ear.  “You did well honey…”

“Is that enough? I’ve never been splashed with a glass of water by a woman. I had it twice today!” He was talking to the PD with his normal sense of humor.  “We have enough scenes for  you… So all of you can go change. Be at your cars in 20 minutes.”

Yoori was escorted by her stylist to the changing room to change her makeup and clothes. Jihyo stood up to make a move for the changing room as well.  “You should have chosen me” she smiled looking at him. “I just thought you should have it hard sometimes. Try shooting with the guest well this time. I want to see if you can treat them well”

“Of all the occasions, you chose today to see if I do well??” He was not upset but he was not happy either. “Fine. I’ll show it to you.” She smiled and made her move. Areum, her sister following behind her. “Areum ya~” Gary called out. “Make sure she’s most beautiful today”. Areum don’t talk much on set but she is comfortable with Gary when she goes over to their home. “Ok, oppa.”

During the mud platform game. He had his eyes on her. Having experienced similar mission with female guests before, he knew it was going to be a rough rumble and tumble in the mud. He located Jihyo and watched her.  Jongkook was rough with her. Jongkook sometimes forgets she’s a woman. He treats her like one of them during games. Gary went around the platform to get on top beside her. He held on to her to signal to Jongkook to tone it down with her. He stayed close to her to protect her. He even found an opportunity to lie on her lap and enjoyed a brief moment of peace with her in the middle of the chaos. He wanted to be close to her and she knew it. She let him have that moment.  But the moment he got up from her lap, his partner’s hands were all over him. She saw but diverted her gaze elsewhere. She can’t help but feel annoyed seeing other women touching him.  That was not the first time.  She saw it happening so often and they were only on their first game. She is married but still, she is another woman.

After the first round, The guys gathered together to restart the game. Gary pulled Jongkook to the side. “Hyung… please don’t be too rough on her… She’s a little tired to day, she can’t fight you back. She’d end up with bruises.” Gary was worried. “Sorry… I didn’t realize it. She is the only woman I can be rough with. Sometimes I forgot she’s a woman” He patted Gary on the shoulder to apologize. Gary patted him back to say his thanks.

The moment Jihyo was out of the game, he was relieved. He can concentrate on playing. However, Jihyo standing on the side saw everything happening in the mud. She saw that woman all over him. And he wasn’t showing his normal annoyance towards female guests. She was jealous. And upset.

Going on to the second mission, Gary stopped by for food along the way with his partner. They were bonding well. They were both hungry. Jihyo saw them stopped by the road side and was happily walking towards the food stall as she drove by. She drove on.

“Jihyo, Gary’s stopping for food! Let’s stop!” Sukjin saw them too and he was hungry. “We’ve passed them. Let’s just stop somewhere in front” Her voice doesn’t sound good. “Hey, what’s wrong? You fighting again??”

“No, oppa. We didn’t fight.” But her voice wasn’t convincing. “What did he do this time?” Sukjin knows them well having been their peacekeeper. “He didn’t do anything… that’s the problem!”

“Why??”

“She was all over him and he didn’t do anything!” She sighed. Sukjin smiled, understanding what was happening. “You’re jealous?” She didn’t answer him but the silence was answer enough. “Jihyo ya. We are filming and he’s doing his job. You have been doing the same thing to him for years.”

“It’s not just that.  I told him this morning I feel intimidated by them all. He told me he’d pick me up when I’m low. He is not even looking at me and enjoying the shoot. I’ve been feeling low and he doesn’t notice it. I feel so small around them.” She was sighing and Sukjin knows it better to not ask any further.

He saw her and went to her smiling excitedly. He was telling her about the good food they had on the way.  She was staring blankly at him. He was definitely having fun while she had lost her mood for the day.

She put on a straight face and carried on filming and ignored him. He noticed that but decided to let her cool. He can’t go to her while the cameras are recording.  He saw Jongkook talking to her so seriously. He knew something was wrong if she is talking to Jongkook like that. She would normally tell Jongkook if she is upset with him. He started fidgeting. He knew Jongkook would find some time to talk to him about it.  He hope it will be soon.  Because he noticed Jihyo was not giving any response to him talking or joking. She was not laughing when everybody else was.

After he finished his mission, Jongkook patted his shoulder for him to go behind the others. As he guessed, Jihyo was upset. Since the camera was still rolling, he didn’t get to know much. “You’re enjoying yourself too much, you’re hurting her more than I did.” Jongkook was upset and told him off. Gary didn’t like the tone Jongkook used on him but he went behind her and positioned himself next to her. Jongkook signaled to Yoori to let her partner stay close to Jihyo for a while. She knew Jihyo was jealous and felt guilty.  

Gary stood by her but did not talk. He just wanted her to know he is beside her and ignoring his partner for her. She noticed him next to her immediately. She didn’t respond to it. She stood still in her place, emotionless. She was upset with him. But his presence next to her was comforting. At times he would lean to her side so his arm touches hers for a brief moment. A silent communication going on between them without saying a word, without seeing each other.  He knows her well.  She just wanted his attention. He was giving her what she wanted by standing there and ignoring the others.

When it was her turn he looked on. She was facing him trying to act and she was not in her best of mood.  She cannot get the feel. She was quiet and Sukjin had to take the lead. She joined in weakly.  Everybody saw that. She saw Yoori was back at Gary’s side, taking the spot she left. When she finished, Yoori went away.  She resumed the same spot. Gary took it as a positive sign as she still chose to stand next to him.  

Everybody noticed Jihyo was different. Nobody dared to point it out. Even when Jongkook had his turn, they were surprised seeing Jihyo reacting to it with an exaggerated laugh. She was showing it to Gary.  She was telling him she is ignoring him. Gary felt bad and miserable.

They didn’t have time before the final mission. He tried pulling her away during the game but she refused him.  And Jongkook told him to wait til after filming.  He was annoyed that they were letting their personal problem affect their shoot. It's bad enough that Jihyo was not in her best mood to film and he can't do anything about it. Gary stayed a way and watched her from afar while doing his mission. When it ended he still couldn’t get a chance to talk to her.  Suddenly the crews took out the cakes to celebrate the August birthdays. It was HaHa’s birthday. Jihyo and Jaesuk’s were last week.  He missed her birthday. He celebrated earlier. He brought gift to her yesterday. She was happy. Somehow, something went wrong today.

Gary stayed far away but looked on her. She was not looking back and obviously avoiding his eyes. Jaesuk saw Gary being distant tried to help getting her attention. She was occupied with the guests. She had an excuse to ignore the other members that have been pushing her towards him throughout the day.

Gary said his thanks to Yoori before she went off and waited while Jihyo finished talking to the other guests. Jongkook came to him. “Gary.. I’m sorry about telling you off. You can be really lost sometimes, I was so annoyed.” He walked with him, hand on his shoulder. “No problem hyung. I wouldn’t have known if you didn’t. Thank you.” Gary gave him a hug.  He appreciates Jongkook for keeping the whole family together. He brought them back together. He owes it to him.

Gary was hoping Jihyo would be left alone but YeoJin was with her when she walked pass him to the changing room. He watched on. YeoJin smiling awkwardly at him as she passed. He smiled back nodding his head to her.

“Ya! Why are you ignoring him? He is so miserable, waiting for you to look at him.  You didn’t even look did you?” Jihyo shook her head and changed out of her sponsored clothes into her own clothes. “Care to talk to me?”

“I am just annoyed. This morning he was so loving and supportive. I told him I felt inferior around all of you and he said he would pick me up if I felt low. He didn’t. And I felt so low when he was enjoying himself.” YeoJin went to her to give her a hug. “You didn’t even give him a chance.  I saw him standing next to you for so long and you didn’t even look at him. He was looking at you whenever he has a chance. Don’t you think you’re too hard on him?” She talked some sense into her, nicely.

“Was he watching me?” She really didn’t notice that.

“I don’t think I’ve ever seen a man so miserable because his girlfriend was jealous. And I admired his patience. My man would not have done that. He would just wait until we get to be alone. But Gary was just waiting on you. Yoori was right… he is rare.”

A knock sounded on the door and Yoori peeked in. “Hi girls.. Sorry, I have to make a move now. Just want to say goodbye to you two before I go” She walked in and closed the door.

“Jihyo ya… I noticed I caused trouble for Gary oppa. Please don’t be mad at him.  I am just that friendly and affectionate towards people. I didn’t notice it upsets you until Gary oppa told me to tone it down.” Yoori still felt guilty. Jihyo touched her arm. “It’s not you… I am just upset with him. I was jealous but it’s more towards him than you.” Jihyo had calmed down and she comforted Yoori.

“Well… to be honest, I think he was being extra nice to me. I really didn’t expect it. I asked him. He said you told him he should try to be nice to the guest for a change. Trust me, he was so patient. And watching him standing next to you when Jongkook told him you were upset… That was such a nice view,” She smiled, she felt proud of him.

“By the way… we spent a lot of time talking but when he talked it is always related to you that I felt his whole life is about you.” Jihyo blushed. “Don’t be too hard on him.” Jihyo hugged Yoori. “Thank you. Sorry if I made it uncomfortable for you today”

“Areum… Can you please accompany your sister home? I don’t think she wants to see me right now. I’ll have my staff drive you home or wherever she wants to go if she doesn’t want to come home right away. I’ll ride with Sukjin hyung”

“Sure, oppa. By the way, I do think Unnie is overreacting today. But just let her calm down… It won’t take long.” She comforted him. He had his arm on her shoulder. “Sure thing, dear. Take care of your sister for me while she does that.” He smiled at the cute younger sister that has always been supportive of him.

He walked out with Suk Jin. “So where do I send you?” Sukjin asked once they settled into the car. “Do you mind going to the cake shop before we head home?”

“Not at all. But didn’t you celebrate her birthday already?”

“Yeah… like twice!” he laughed. “But she is hard to please. Hoping third time’s a charm.”

He got her a pretty little cake. There was no one home when he reached. He set the cake box on the coffee table and went in for a shower to freshen up. 

….

“Areum, where’s Gary oppa?” She walked out to her outside the changing room with her bags. “He went back with Sukjin oppa. He left the car for you.”  Her smile gone from her face. “He said you wouldn’t want to see him. So he told me to take you wherever you want to go until you’re ready to go home.” Areum took her bags and walked to the car. “So where are we going?”

“Home” she went into the backseat and took out her phone. There was no call or text from him.  She’ll wait til she is home.

She walked into the house and saw his shoes. She was walking, arranging words in her head when she saw the cake box on the table. She smiled. She went into the bedroom and heard the shower. She went to the closet and took out his favorite lounge pants and white tee and lay it on the bed.

She went to the kitchen to make coffee for him. He walked out wearing the clothes she prepared. He sat at the bar stool watching her making coffee. “Can I please have a cup?” She finally heard the voice she’s been missing. She stood next to him and put the cup on the bar top in front of him.  He swiveled the chair to turn and look at her in the eyes. He was staring deeply she felt uncomfortable and moved her gaze towards his chest.

“So what actually happened today? I am confused.” That deep voice carrying the patience he had been showing the whole day. He wasn’t touching her.  He was giving her the space.  She was quiet, still arranging her words.

“OK… so you’re not ready to talk.” He turned back to face the coffee cup and sipped on the coffee” Giving her more space. She sat on the stool next to him, her elbow on the bar, her chin resting on her upright hand, staring at the kitchen. They sat quietly, ignoring each other. He finished his coffee and went to the sink to wash his cup. He wiped his hands and walked up next to her. He kissed her on the cheek and hugged her close. She turned into him, arms on his back pulling him close.

“I was jealous” she admitted in a whisper. He released the hug and looked into her eyes. “Obviously,” his voice so deep she felt her heart skipping a beat. He waited for her to say more. But nothing came out of her.

“So you’re done talking… Now, let me talk.” His hands holding hers.

“This morning you told me to be nice with the guests. I went on set with my best of mood and did what you told me to. Unfortunately, I had no choice and she had no choice.  She told me she was left with me. When you could have chosen me as your partner, you didn’t. Sukjin hyung told me he requested for it. Fine, I assume you were doing him a favor. Yoori was a great sport. Although I was uncomfortable of her touching me, I was in my best mood, I wasn’t going to let it affect me. Unfortunately, it affected you… which is out of ordinary since you were never that jealous or obvious. I thought you were just tired from the lack of sleep, which is partly my fault… and also tired from fending off Jongkook hyung, whom I think handled you a little too rough today. Fair enough. And just so you know.. I told him to be nicer to you, I don’t want bruises on your body.” He was explaining his side of the story as well as justifying her actions. “Arriving at the second location, I was excitedly telling you about your favorite snack I had on the way.. which I bought for you but since you weren’t even listening and was glaring at me so fiercely, I gave them to the staffs. I have never seen that look in your eyes after so long. I knew you were upset about something but decided to deal with it after filming.”

“However, Jongkook hyung was telling me off.  He said I hurt you more than he did.  Seems like you would rather tell him than come to me. I guess I wasn’t a good listener all this while…” She bent her head down, knowing he is being sarcastic.  He has been her best listener. He listens to every single word she says.

“I stood beside you for so long… you didn’t even look at me. You were not responding to my words or jokes. You were laughing so hard at Jongkook hyung, I know you’re just trying to annoy me. That was a fake laugh and your acting wasn’t that good.. I guess because you were not focusing on it” He still has his serious face on while his tone maintained the calm tone he started off with.

 “Lastly, I wanted to be near you when you celebrated you birthday. I bought that cake. Remember the first time we celebrated your birthday during filming? I brought the cake to you. I wanted to repeat that. But since you’ve been ignoring me, I let them take my cake to you.”

“I think I have explained for us both. I know you’re jealous and upset and annoyed..  I apologize. I also apologize for not holding you up while you feel low today. I apologize for being too friendly with the guest. Anything else I need to apologize for?” She shook her head. It was guilt on her face. She realized she overreacted.

He touched her lips with both his thumb. “Now that you have nothing to say, what would you like to do with these lips of yours?” A cheeky smile on his face. “Would you like to kiss me?” His voice was too romantic. She kissed him while smiling.

“Wow! I must have explained so well for you to kiss me like that!” he kidded. He acted like he was high on drug and she laughed. “Now, that’s a real laugh.” He pinched her nose and went to the coffee table to get her cake. She watched him open the box and placed a candle on it. His hands were looking for his cigarette lighter inside his pockets. He remembered and was running into the bedroom to get the lighter.

Standing next to her stool, he lit up the candle and sang the birthday song for the third time. She got down from the stool and hug him close. Her arms around him watching him sing. “Thank you, love” She hugged him tight, rocking him with her. “I am sorry for what happened today… seeing another woman all over you annoys me. Married or not, I don’t like seeing  other women touching you. I know you don’t care for them but it really hurts to watch.” She spoke softly in his ear.  “I guess that is how you feel when you see me with other men.” She felt him nodding his head on her shoulder. “About Jongkook oppa… I am sorry I went to him instead. I was so mad at you I just need to let it out. You know I go to him when we fight. I guess he saw me so upset that he decided to tell you off.  He takes good care of me. He takes good care of everybody and you know it.” She felt him nodding again. She his back while talking.  He was doing the same to her to calm her.  “I actually felt so inferior around them.  They’re really beautiful, y and talented. Great personality too.  One even got you to be friendly so easily. It was worst when you were staring and praising how beautiful Yeojin was on the car”

He hugged her tight to comfort her. “Ouch!” Gary let go of her to. “What’s wrong, baby?” He saw her touching the side of her hip.  He pulled up her t-shirt to look at it. “You got a bruise there.” She nodded. She knew of it but didn’t want him to know. He stared at her, a question in his eyes. “I don’t remember when I got it. But I guess it was during the first mission.” He pulled her to the bedroom. He pushed her to lie on the bed and went to the drawer for the ointment. He walked back and sat beside her, applying the ointment gently. He was so focused.  Jihyo loves watching him attending to her.

“That’s enough, oppa. It’ll be OK. It’s not the first time and you worry every single time!”

“Of course I am worried. You’re my woman.”

“Your woman” she said it with a smile.  

“Yes, my woman. And she is most beautiful, no one can compare to her.” He pulled her up to sit facing him. “Yeojin in that hotpants will never be as hot as you.” He touched her bare thigh and realized something. “Wait… you wore these pants from the shoot??” He was touching the hotpants on her.  

“I think I should start wearing really short pants and skirts so you don’t look at other women.”

“Luckily I wasn’t there to see you in these! I’d be nuts seeing you like this when I can’t get close to you!” Her gaze is enough to have his mind thinking of other things he’d like to do. Adding skin to it will make it worse.

“Wear anything you want, just don’t make me look down when we’re filming. I can see other women but if it’s you… You and I won’t be getting much screen time on the show.” He was already pushing her down on the bed.

“I really think I should pack more short bottoms when I go overseas…” She . “Don’t you dare torture me when you’re so far away!”

“Wait! We got to go celebrate HaHa oppa’s birthday!” She was pushing him off her.

“We’ll just be late… I am celebrating your birthday now…”