The Answer

One Shot: Loving Kang Gary

 

She just finished her scene for the day. It’s already 3 am.  Filming a period drama is very exhausting.  Extra hours are spent in make-up and wordrobe.  Scripts are different from the normal drama.  Speaking the way they did in those days, few hundred years ago is definitely not easy. Scenes are repeated because actors can’t get the tone right. Filming is done on a faraway site, requiring them to be on site most of the time.  They practically live on the filming site. Having everybody around most of the time, is definitely convenient for directors and producers but very tiring for the cast and crews.

 

She went to the room set up for her on the site. A simple room with bed, and basic necessities. She took out her phone from the drawer. She never takes her phone out if she’s filming.  She would not have time to look at it anyway. And director is very strict about phone usage on the set because it is distracting.

61 messenger notifications. She opened it up and saw 3 notification from her manager probably updating her schedule.  She clicked on the other contact with the remaining 58 notifications, smiling even before it opened. She smiled a bigger smile reading through the texts. First one was from 7 am in the morning. “Good morning, sunshine…” followed by more sweet messages. By 11 am, the messages got more mellow, by 2 pm the person was already upset with the lack of reply, she still smiled at it. By 6pm the person is begging for a reply. 10pm, he was already sulking. She laughed out reading his text. She read the rest of the messages and feel better despite her exhaustion. She was about to sleep when a text came in. “Are you still not done??”She dialed his number instantly.

“Why are you still up at this hour? You have to go to the studio tomorrow morning” She speaks softly.  She keeps herself updated with his schedule as he does hers.

“I just woke up.. I fell asleep on the sofa waiting for you to reply my text.  I woke up thinking about you.” He is so sweet even half awake. “I just finished, I thought you’re already sleeping so I didn’t reply. You texted just in time! How do you time things so well?”

“Jihyo ya… sending u text every half an hour is not timing things.. it’s trying my luck.” She laughed but the laugh sounded tired. “Are you tired, baby” Her heart skips a beat every time he calls her baby in that deep caring voice. “I just finished my scenes for the day. I’ve been on set for 20 hours… but hearing your voice makes it better.  So how was your day?” They don’t get to see each other much but at the end of each day, they will talk on the phone to tell each other about their days apart.

“My day was spent missing you… This is the longest day yet! When are you coming back? It’s been 10 days.  I hate it when we don’t have filming! That’s adding 7 days of misery!” He complained. She laughed softly, trying to keep herself awake for the man.

“Oppa~ don’t be too cute… I am missing you so much already.  Don’t make me miss you more please.. I’ll be back in 2 days.  Sunday night.  We have filming the next morning. I’ll see you then ok.”

“Monday?? Why?? God, what did I do this time for you to punish me like this??” Jihyo burst out laughing. “Now, that’s a real laugh!” He is happy to hear that laugh. “You sounded so tired. You go to sleep now ok.  Call me tomorrow when you’re free. Make sure you go to sleep right away ok.  Take the vitamins I bought for you.” He is always so caring. “OK oppa, good night”

…….

It’s Sunday night.  Jihyo will be coming back.  He wished she had moved in with him so he can take care of her.  She said it’s too soon in their relationship.  She is not the kind to rush things. She will stay over at his place when she’s free.  They can’t date outside anyway.  His place is the safest place. She said she wouldn’t come tonight. He will wait for her at her place to see her when she arrives. He called up his chef at the restaurant to prepare some food for him to bring over later.  She needs good food.  Her selcas that she had been sending to him do not look good.  She lost weight. He is worried.

His phone rang. Jihyo’s manager. “Hello, hyung!” That is not a good sound from her manager. “Why?? What happened??” He is worried. “She’s at the hospital now, she fainted at the set” At that moment Gary felt so helpless. He calmed himself. “Which hospital?” he grabbed his car keys and walked out of his restaurant in a rush, keeping the manager on the phone. “I am on my way, wait for me at the basement lift in 15 minutes.” He started his engine and headed straight for the hospital.  That drive felt so long.  The manager said she’s ok now but he has to see her.

………

Jihyo was sleeping peacefully on the bed.  The room light is dimmed.  Everybody else had gone back to let her rest.  He went in and bended down to kiss her forehead before sitting down by the bed, holding her hand. She is on the drip. He caressed near where the needle sticks out of her skin.   Watching her, it felt like his heart had dropped so low and it hurts.  He watches as she sleeps. An hour went by and she opened her eyes. She turned to her side and saw Gary looking at the needle in her hand.  “He is always so worried” she thought and smiled.

“Oppa…’” she calls out weakly. Gary lift up his head instantly, stood up to bend down near her. Hands cupping her face. “Baby, are you alright? I am so worried, I told you to rest. Didn’t you take the vitamins? I…” she lifted her left hand to his mouth to make him stop nagging.  “Oppa, stop it.. I am ok. Don’t worry, I am strong” He held her hand and planted a kiss.”

“Can you please don’t scare me like this.  If you’re tired, please tell your manager to talk to them. Don’t work too hard please” he pleaded. She smiled.  She is weak but having him there helps. “I miss you” she simply said to distract him from what he is saying. He stopped and smiled. “You have no idea how long the drive here felt! I miss you too!”

“Oppa come this side” She pointed to her left side. The drip on her right is keeping him away. She moved to the right as he walked around the bed to the other side. “Here, lie down with me.” He took off his shoes and jacket and lay next to her. His right hand went under her head and he pulls her to lie on his chest. Taking careful care to place her right arm on his chest as she turned. “Are you comfortable?” He asked just to make sure. “This is the most comfortable in the past 2 weeks.” She kissed him on the chin. “Can you please stay the night?” Gary looked her in the eyes. “How can I leave knowing you’re sick?” His voice has an effect on her. The voice that vibrates peacefulness inside her heart. “I’ll go for filming from here tomorrow.  I told Cho PD about you and he said you don’t have to come.  They’re having an urgent meeting to change the theme for tomorrow. So you can rest here.”

“Thank you oppa”

……

Gary woke up but saw her still sleeping.  He moved slowly and changed her position to lie flat on the bed.  She is still deep in her sleep.  He watches her for a while before going to the bathroom to freshen up.  He needs to go to the filming location in 2 hours. Her manager will be coming in an hour to take over his duty caring for her. It’s good that they sent her to this hospital.  Celebrities are normally sent here.  They are offered luxury and privacy here. The room is like a hotel suite.  She can rest and recover in this comfort.

When he walked out of the  bathroom, Jihyo is already sitting up in her bed.  He heard her let out a deep breath. “I thought you went without saying goodbye”  She doesn’t like waking up to find her man missing. “ He sat next to her, holds her face.“Sorry, I didn’t want to wake you up. “  He leaned in and kissed her.  He didn’t really kiss her last night. The kiss turned deeper. All the pent up emotion for the past 2 weeks in that kiss.  When it ended, Jihyo felt dizzy and high from it. She was flushed. “Better now?” he asked. “Yes! I think I can go for filming with you!”

“No way! You’re staying!” That was an instruction. He helped her to the bathroom to freshen up and brought her back to lie on the bed. The nurse had already brought in the breakfast he ordered earlier. “Your manager will be coming soon, I’ll go when he comes ok.” She was already sad at the idea of parting with him. He noticed that. “Don’t be like this… It’s hard for me to leave. I promise I’ll come straight to you after filming. I have 30 minutes. Let’s eat together”

“I don’t feel like eating. You eat, you’re going for filming, you’ll be hungry.” She looked at the chicken porridge in front of her.  She doesn’t have the appetite. Gary scooped some with the spoon and fed himself.  He scooped some and brought it to “It’s no fun eating by myself.  Eat with me please.” She shook her head refusing to eat. Gary looked at her trying to figure out how to make her eat. “I am not giving you a goodbye kiss if you don’t eat now” She glared at him for saying that. “I will give you one kiss for each spoon you eat”  That was a better proposition. She ate. The bowl was empty in 5 minutes. “That was 21” he put the bowl away and handed her the glass of juice. “I counted 25!” He knew she was adding the numbers by herself.  He didn’t object to that. The more the better!

She walks up to the tinted window.  The sun is shining brightly outside. Many people are walking around in the garden below. It is a nice view. Gary walks up behind her and hugs her. “It’s so nice outside, I wish we can take a stroll in the garden.” He inhales her natural smell. He misses that.  She holds up her hand to touch his cheek and bring it closer to hers. “I wish it too.” She turns around. “Time for my kiss”. He kissed her and counted after each one. After 5 kisses he didn’t bother stopping to count.  He will just kiss until the manager comes.

They didn’t hear the knock on the door. “Yaaaa! Stop it already!” I’ve been watching you for so long here!” The manager had only been in the room for 30 seconds.  They were surprised and embarrassed. Jihyo had her face buried in his chest. He hugged her tight before letting go. “I’ll see you tomorrow. It’s an overnight shoot” He received a text from PD informing the overnight filming this morning.  He didn’t tell her because he knows she wouldn’t like the idea of him not returning tonight. He saw her face turned gloomy. He pulled her into a hug and whispered beside her ears. “It’ll be quite far and I can’t come back today. I’ll be here with you tomorrow ok. I’ll make it up to you.” It was hard for him to go as well.  He wants to stay. But it will invite speculation if both are missing from the filming.

He walked her to the bed and tucked her in.  He saw she was already teary.  She is sick and having him gone makes her weaker.  She felt emptiness creeping in.  He leaned in for a kiss and whispered “I am leaving my heart here. Take good care of it for me please.”

He said goodbye to her manager telling him to call his manager if it’s urgent. “Don’t worry too much hyung, She’s just a baby around you.  The moment you’re gone, she’d be bullying me” He looked back at her and smiled “Don’t do anything, just rest ok.”  

………………

He reached the location on time. It was nearly noon.   He updated the team on Jihyo and they all set up for the shoot. He was not in the mood but he calmed himself and went in front of the camera.  Girl’s Generation came out and that made him happy.  He is friendly with a few of them so it wouldn’t be too hard today. Or so he thought.  The moment two of them were suddenly fighting over him. He can’t help but think of Jihyo. Life would be easier if she’s there. The girls will not be as forward.  Most celebrities in their social group know that they have something going on off camera.  Now that she’s not here, the girls are being extra playful towards him because they know he would get in trouble.

The filming went well. He did quite good thanks to his supportive partner.  He chose her because she is also in a relationship with another celebrity, so Jihyo will not be too affected by it.   He called her manager to check on her that night.  She was asleep so he didn’t contact her. He will just see her tomorrow. 

…………..

The whole team went to the hospital to pay her a visit. Gary was nowhere to be seen and she was looking around trying to locate him. “What are you looking for?” Jongkook asked although he knows the answer well. “Noona, he went to send Sica home, he’s on his way here now.”

“What??” she just could not keep that in and it slipped her tongue. Everybody was already laughing at her jealous reaction. Suddenly Gary walked in with a flower bouquet and all eyes were on him.  His face turned blank. Confused with what is happening.  He looked at Jihyo and saw that she was upset. He went straight to her and give her a peck on the cheek, handed her the flowers. She is still the same. He looked at kwangsoo. “Ya! What did you tell her?!” They burst out laughing again. “I told her you went to send Sica home that’s why you’re late” he said with that traitorous face. He turned to Jihyo “And you are upset because of that? You know her well., Her house is on the way. I picked up this flowers near her place just for you” He spread his arm for a hug and she leaned right in. She just can’t stand looking at him.  He melts her heart just by looking. He will never lie and these people like putting him in trouble just to see that troubled face.

The team stayed for half an hour before saying goodbye.  Gary’s manager brought his overnight bag over as instructed by him. Her manager was last to leave.  He managed to talk to the production team and have her scenes rescheduled to Friday. Running Man had canceled the upcoming filming to give her some time off to rest. He updated them on her change of schedule.  Jihyo was happy hearing that. She will be discharged the next day and will be able to stay home for a night.

Gary changed into his sleeping shorts and t-shirt and climbed in beside her. He is on his side hugging her. Kissing her on the cheeks between whispers. “I miss you” kiss. “I love you” kiss “I am tired” kiss. She giggled at that and turned to give him a real kiss. “Didn’t you have fun today? You must be in a good mood to send a girl home” he laughed at her jealous remark. “She asked for a favor. She wanted to go to her boyfriend’s place.  I know how hard it is dating in secrecy. I helped out.  Are you upset?” She smiled her answer. “Why is it so hard for me to stay upset with you?? When you’re upset with me, it last for days! I had to work so hard for you!”

“Because I’m a man. You know, sometimes I feel insecure around you.” She’s surprised hearing those words of his. She waited for him to explain further. “You are so beautiful.  So many guys are after you. Even now. And here I am, the average guy.  I am not as rich as some of them, not as handsome as most of them.  I may be charming..” he laughed at that self-compliment “but I am moody and gets upset easily… I wonder what you see in me…”  Her fingers started caressing his jawline. She looked into his eyes. “Love has no answer” She said that every time he asked her similar questions. She really has no answer for him. “you just feel it and you know it. I can’t answer that but one thing for sure… If I can love you despite all that, I don’t think you need an answer.”

“You know what? I am starting to see you becoming me… you’re getting good with words!” He is assured by her words. “We should write lyrics together.” Then he realized, he had not asked how she is doing. “Have you been ok today? Are you ok?”

“I am fine now,  I’ll stay at your place tomorrow. Do you have work?” He shook his head. “Good! We can hangout and catch up on lost times.”

……………

Jihyo is back on set on Friday until Sunday.  Her Mondays and Tuesdays are already blocked for Running Man so the production will not schedule her those 2 days.   Sunday evening, her manager picked her up from the filming site to send her home. They stopped at the rest stop on the highway for a toilet break.  She was waiting for her manager in the car when she felt somebody watching her.  She looked to her right and hangs open. Window down, that man was smiling in the car beside her. She opened her window. “What are you doing here??” Gary holds up a cup. “I bought you an Americano. Get in my car” she excitedly walked out to go into his car. He holds her hand “We’ll wait for your manager to come and leave ok. I don’t want him to be shocked you got kidnapped”

“Did you follow me from the location?”

“I was on my way but you’re already on the way when I called just now. So I turned back and waited for you to pass by and followed.” This is why she fell for him in the first place. He is very random and always surprises her with his actions.

Her manager came. He laughed knowing well that gary always pulls off surprises like this.  He is happy for her to have a guy doting on her like this.  Her previous boyfriend didn’t treat her that well.  He approves of Gary. “OK, where do you want to go?” He asked. “Can we take a stroll in a park somewhere?” She remembered the morning at the hospital when he suggested that. Since they have not reached Seoul, he decided to turn off the highway. “Oppa, where are you going?”

“Let’s be spontaneous and find a park at this place. Let’s take a stroll. There are 2 face mask in the glove compartment.  We’ll just put that on ok?” He said sweetly. 

He drove on along the countryside and stopped when he saw a river bank and a park. Not too many people but lively enough.  They put their mask on and strolled in the park, talking like lovers do on a date.  “Now it feels like a real date” She holds onto his arm tighter as they walk. “He saw a spot in the dim light and pulled her there to have a sit. It is quieter and people will not notice them. He pulled off her mask and then his, 

“Since this is our first date outside..  Let’s do something special to remember this” He still doesn’t know what to do.  He looked around. He saw a few stalls 500 meters away. “Can you give me 5 minutes and wait here. Don’t move!” He didn’t wait for her answer but jumped up from the bench and jogged to the stall.  He was looking for something special.

In 5 minutes he walked back with grilled baby potatoes, her favorite hot snack. He passed it to her. Then he reached in his pocket and took out two identical black bracelets made of wood. He pulled her hand and put it on around her right wrist and held out his wrist for her to put it on him.  “This is for us to remember this place.  Keep it safe.”

She put down her potatoes and put on the bracelet on his wrist. She held on to his hand. “Oppa… Can I ask you something?” He nodded. “There are so many girls around you, they’re so beautiful, so y.. perfect hair, perfect clothes.. So many young ones. Why me?” He smiled at her lovingly. “You’re real, you’re kind” he moved in closer for a kiss. “With my looks, pretty girls will not stay long. You will stay long with me” he started to laugh. And she wasn’t upset with his answer.  She knew better how madly in love he was with her.   He stopped laughing and looked into her eyes “You’re the answer to a guy like me”