Only Him

One Shot: Loving Kang Gary

“See you in four days, love” She hugged him tight one last time at the door. But he held her tighter to him. “Oppa, let me go… I’ll be late for my flight.” He sighed near her ear, still not letting go.

“Let me hold you for a few more minutes please.” His voice sounded so sad, she felt like changing to a later flight. She was supposed to go last night. She changed to today. Latest flight she could take. Gary had been busy and last night was his free night. He wasn’t free but he cleared his schedule when she changed her flight.

She his back. “Why are you so sad this time?” He was extra clingy that it worried her.  “Are you ok?”

He loosen up his arms around her so he can look into her eyes. He was gazing so deeply. “I’m OK… we just got back and now you have to go again… I just miss you” Her sweet smile is not making it any better for him. “Look at it this way. You’ll have four days to work hard. Finish all the work on your single while I’m gone so you’ll have a few days clear when I come back.” He nodded slowly and sighed.

“Please pick up my calls… or return it…” Remembering the time she was in Vietnam and was too busy to return his calls. That ended up with him sulking for a few days. “You know… I feel like I am taking care of a little boy…” she laughed softly and he smiled knowing how demanding he could be. “sorry…”

She kissed him on the cheek. “It’s ok… I love that you crave for my attention. Means I am still important to you…”

“What are you saying?? Of course, you’re important!” She briefly hugged him. “I know… I mean, it’s good to be reminded of it often. Although you’re sometimes impossibly hard on me. Making up is always good!” She said cheerfully to make him smile. “OK, I gotta go now… Let me go please.”

He finally released her. Picked up her backpack and put it on her. Gave her one last kiss before opening the door to let her out. “I’ll call you before boarding the flight.” She said, entering the elevator.

She got in the MPV sitting beside her manager. “Let’s go.” 

The moment she got out of the elevator, her mind changed to work mode. She had been an actress for so long, she learned how to turn things on and off in her mind. She just can’t do it when Gary’s around. It gets harder each day.  No matter how hard she tried, she can never put the mask on for long around him. She cannot hide how she feels. Now that she’s a free agent, she puts less effort into it that sometimes Gary is worried for her. He fears it affects her career and public image.

She picked up her phone and dialed. “Hello, baby” He answered in an instant. She can feel his smile in that voice. “What are you doing?”

“Missing you” he laughed at his own words. She laughed quietly lest the other passengers hear her. That comforting feeling and warmth in her heart. “I don’t think I can live without your cheesiness now that I am so used to it.”

“I love you…” He knows she was going to end the call. “Me too…” She replied simply. She can’t say those words in public. “I am going to board now… I’ll text you when I reach Hong Kong ok.”

“Have a safe flight, baby. Take care”.

….

“Let’s finish it up today. Then, you can proceed with the release arrangement.  Make it 1st September.” It was an informal discussion over lunch.  They are putting final touches on the song. He is excited that the extra hours spent the last few days paid off. For the first time he didn’t have to rush to meet his target date. He told her he would finish it by the time she gets back.   

By 5 o’clock, 4 hours of repeating the song over and over again to check the arrangement and sounds, he finalized the song. “It’s a wrap!” He happily announced. “Thank you for your hard work. Let’s hope for the best. 1st September.”

“Hyung, why that date? We can release it earlier since it’s already done. I am excited to see it on the chart. Why wait?”

“The wait will make it feels even better.  Just wait. I want to chill and relax for a bit.  I’d have to commit to promotions the moment I release it.” He patted him on the shoulder. “You should all go home and chill while you wait. Take your woman out or something.” He is happy with the idea of spending time with a woman. The woman. Tomorrow.

“I’ll leave now. Have a good night”

He went straight home. He connected his ipod to the wireless speaker to have the song playing in the house for the first time.

“Baby, I am finally done! Can’t wait for you to come home”

Jihyo was already at the airport when the text came in. “Right on time” she said to herself. She wanted to surprise him by going home earlier. She changed her flight so she can fly-off right after her last task. She managed to squeeze in the final day interview earlier today.

“Well done! So I’ll have you to myself for a few days right?” she texted back. The flight is boarding in 10 minutes. She can’t wait to go home.

“I am yours…” and he meant it with all his heart.

“Thank you… I have to go now. I’ll call later. “

….

Stepping out of the plane was a great feeling. “Home” she smiled to herself, put on her shades, ready to walk out. Shades is a must. She would not want to offend people if she accidentally miss them looking or smiling at her.

“I’ll take care of the bags. Security is ready outside just in case. But just walk out naturally with your sister. The car is at the usual spot.” The manager always makes sure she knows what to do. He repeats the same thing every time and she listens carefully every time in case there is a change.

“Alright… thank you for your hard work. I’ll see you in a few days.” She said her goodbye and walked out with her sister. Some people spotted her, she smiled but carried on to the car. She can’t risk stopping for a photo. People will be crowding her in no time.

The driver is ready outside the MPV waiting for her to get in. They got in and sat on the two front row seats.

“Hah! That was tiring! Did we walk too fast?” She took off her shades and looked at her sister out of breath.

“You walked really fast!” the male voice sounded from behind her.

“Ahhhhh!!!!!|” She screamed getting out of her seat to go behind. She landed herself on his lap and hugged him. A tight, long hug. Her sister knew he was there. She told him of their changed flight.

“This is the best airport pickup ever!” She was really happy, he can see it in her face.

“Thank you, sis!” Her sister didn’t turn back but just put her thumbs up.  Because she knows, if she turned, her sister won’t be looking anyway. True enough, she was gazing lovingly into his eyes. Her hands on his face however, felt something different.

“You didn’t shave. I saw your pictures at the airport. You don’t look like yourself. Are you tired?” Her voice filled with concern for him, the stubble on his face. He smiled tiredly. “I haven’t been shaving since you shaved me that morning… I was busy and before the event, I woke up late... I didn’t want to cut myself. Besides… I want you to see pictures of how I am doing without you” He nuzzled the nape of her neck.

“No, you’ll leave a mark again…” She pushed his face to his original position. He chuckled remembering he left a mark during filming a few weeks before. She had to tie a towel around her neck for the 2 days of filming.

“And you didn’t have time to shave this morning?”

“I didn’t go home last night… I slept at the studio for a few hours… I went home to shower and came straight here” his hand holding the hand on his face. “I miss you.” And she could feel it in his voice. She reached out to the side of his seat and reclined in before lying her head on his chest. “Let’s just nap while we get home.” She was tired and saw Gary was even more tired and ready to doze off anytime. She positioned herself comfortably and both slept in silence.

He her back to wake her up. “Baby, we’re home. Wake up please.”

“I can’t get up.. I am so tired.” Her eyes still closed while she talk in her sleepiness. “But you have to get up, you’re sitting on me. Let’s get out of the car and I’ll carry you upstairs.” She nodded and slowly got out of the car. Her sister holding her up by her arm while Gary gets out.

He bended down so Jihyo can climb up on his back. Her sister assisting with her handbag.

He walked straight to the bedroom to put her on the bed and walked back  out to see her sister.

“I’ll get going now… She is really tired. Just make sure she eats. She didn’t eat much on the plane.”

“Areum… You must be tired too.” He walked to the fridge for a can of health drink. “Have a seat and drink this before you go.” He opened the can for her and sat with her at the dining table.

“Thank you for the favor. You don’t know how happy I am seeing her surprised face.”

“No problem at all.. I do it because it makes her happy… She’s been working so hard that she forgets to be happy… except when she is with you.” He smiled shyly and scratched the back of his head. “You probably don’t know this but when you two broke up the first time… that was hard on her. She was so lively and happy then suddenly it changed. Sometimes, I’d hear her cry in her sleep. She doesn’t tell me much about you, but I know.” Gary was shocked with the sudden revelation. He wanted to know.

“She was madly in love with you… but I guess you didn’t know that, that’s why you doubted her.” He was ashamed of himself. “And you know what happened next… She had to choose. She chose you. But you demanded more of her. So I told her to quit you. I hated you. After sometime she realized you’re not worth all the hurt. And made that decision. She decided to give him a chance.”

“I’m sorry” he was apologetic. He was immature. She smiled. “It’s in the past now. I just want you to know what I saw. So you’d know why I am trusting you. In a way, it was a blessing.  You grew apart but your work kept you close so you were forced to learn of each other. To tell you the truth, she didn’t love him… he was just there to do what you could not do. She was honest with him about it. She never lied. He was a gentleman. He protected her from you.” He nodded agreeing to every word she said.

“Then you changed… I don’t know how it happened but you finally decided to clean up the mess you made. I was so scared when it happened.” He was surprised. “Why were you scared?”

“We were watching Running Man and she was so happy laughing at your words. I fear the day she would repeat it all over again with you. She was still stuck on you. She would talk about you happily. I would always remind her to take it slow.  She was convinced you had changed although I wasn’t”

“I must have looked so bad in your eyes” She nodded. “But she was so happy that one day I told her if it’s worth the pain again for you to be happy… Just do it. Right at that moment she picked up her phone and called you!” She laughed at the memory. “I didn’t mean for her to start it right away but I guess she has been waiting for my approval.”

“Yeah, I remembered that call.” He laughed. “she hadn’t called me in so long and suddenly she called me up and said ‘Let’s date!’.. I was stunned.” He was reliving the memory. The persistent Jihyo. “To be honest, I was scared. I was scared because I love her so much I don’t think I can survive another heartbreak.  That was why I rejected her. But she was determined to get me back in her life.”

“And she always gets what she wants once she set her eyes on it. She wanted you all along.”

“And it took me so long to convince myself… She convinced me. I am glad she did.”

“I am glad she did too… So you don’t hate me now right?”

“You’re my brother now… Just one thing… Just try to tone down those jealous fights. Keep it short.” He chuckled. “It’s toned down nowadays… but that’s just how we keep it interesting. She starts most of them anyway… “

“Hey Areum… you’re still here??” She was still sleepy but woke up hearing them laughing a while ago.

“It’s only been 20 minutes. Why are you up??”

“I heard you laughing and woke up. What were you laughing about?” She naturally went to Gary and sat next to him facing her sister. Her hand naturally on his thigh.

“We were talking about you… He was telling me about you suddenly asking to date him” She turned to him and hit his thigh, “She was telling me about how you desperately want me. Hahaha! If I had known, I would have ran to you!” He leaned in to whisper near her ear.

“Before you get all lovey-dovey and  makeout in front of me, I better make a move.” She stood up and left.

He pulled her hand and walked to the couch. “You wait here while I make something to eat for you. What do you want?”

“Just cook anything… with extra love” she exaggerated the love part with a cute face.

He took out his phone from his pocket and plugged in his earphone. Handed them to her. “While I am cooking, listen to the ‘bicycle’ song on my phone. And you can look at the pictures and see what happened while you were gone” He kissed her forehead and moved to the kitchen.

She put on the earphones and used her fingerprint to unlock his phone. She searched for the song and pressed play while she lay down on the couch.

He set the food on the table and went to check on her. She was sleeping. She looks so tired he didn’t want to wake her up just yet. He took away his phone and the earphones and picked her up. He wanted to change her clothes but didn’t want to wake her up while doing it.

He laid her flat on her back and settled in beside her, not touching her. Watching her while he too, fell asleep. She woke up to her grumbling stomach.  She heated the food and helped herself to it. She heard footsteps and called out for him.

“Oppa, come and eat with me.” He sat beside her still half asleep. He watched her eat, not caring that he is not eating beside her. He her cheek to get her attention. “Can you taste my love in that fried rice?” She just nodded and continued eating.

“Jihyo yaaa…” He sounded like he’s hurt. That made her turn to face him. “What’s wrong oppa?” He was touching his chest. She put down her spoon and attended to him. A hand holding his chest and the other the side of his face. “Are you ok oppa?” She looked worried.

“I’m out of love…I put it all in that fried rice!” He laughed out loud when her face changed from worried to angry. She hit him a little too hard on the chest. “Ouch! It’s an empty heart, you just shattered it into pieces!” He pretended to be deeply hurt.

She took the spoon and fed the fried rice to him. “Here, eat your love.”

“Ya! Can’t you feed me nicely??” Her turn to laugh looking at him upset. “sorry… here…” She did it nicely. “I was kidding. Go ahead and eat. I am not hungry.”

He turned to sit sideways to face her, putting his hand on the back of her chair, reaching out to her hair. “How’s the song?” She put her hand up telling him to wait while she swallowed her food. “The song… Let’s talk about it after we eat? I have things I have to say about it.” He was confused by her reaction. She wasn’t excited as she was with the previous song. She turned and smiled knowing what was on his mind. “I have nice things to say… don’t worry. But it’ll have to wait.  Eat with me first?”

Reassured, he smiled and took the spoon from her hand and fed himself from her plate.  “Let me put some in your plate…” she reached out for the fried rice. “Don’t. I’ll just share your plate.” He handed her the spoon. “You eat… I’ll eat when you’re done” She didn’t take the spoon. She stretched her arms upwards and announced “My hands are so tired today… Can I eat from your hands?” He happily did as she wished.

She walked to sit next to him watching the TV and cuddled up to him. “You smell so nice” he buried his nose in her hair. “I just bathed… Of course I smell nice”. She took his phone and the Bluetooth to get it connected to the wireless speakers. He muted the volume of the TV. She pressed play and took his finger to scan it to unlock the phone.

“Why are you using my finger? You can open it with your finger print.”

“I just feel like using your finger since you’re here.” She went through the photos he wanted her to see, while listening to the song in silence. He looked on his phone screen. When the song was playing for the second round, she spoke up. “So… tell me about this video. Watching it, makes me feel very familiar... We have been to a few spots on that video… Some I don’t think I had…”

He took the phone and scrolled the video timeline. “See this… That’s me. That’s the feeling waiting for you… you weren’t there…” He explained every single scene.

“So now… Can you tell me what you want to say on the song?”

“Thank you.” She hugged him tight. Those two words were enough to make him smiling.  He understands what those words mean. She puts it so perfectly. It’s more than he expected. “I am glad you like it”. She looked up at him to see the happy smile.

“I had never done drugs…” He was confused with her suddenly talking about drugs. “but I guess I know what an addiction is… You’d feel restless, awkward, vacant, the need to have it, agitated, anxiety…”

“what are you saying?” he stopped her long description. She smiled. “That was how I feel the past 3 days. I wanted to come back here so badly.” He leaned his forehead on to hers. “Really? So how do you feel now?”

She lifted her arms and circled them around his neck while getting on his lap. “That picture for your single describes it well… I feel like I am riding in the sky. Free and happy.” She dropped kisses on his cheeks and move towards his neck.

“Honey…” he her back. “Don’t leave a mark please… I have a photoshoot in 2 days.”

“I am kissing you and you’re thinking about photo shoot??” She released herself from him and sat at his side. He laughed at her sensitivity and gathered her in his arms. “Sorry… I suddenly remembered I only have 2 days with you before I have to work again.” He reciprocated her kisses. But she didn’t move.

“OK…” he showed the nape of his neck to her. “Mark it all you want… I’ll just ask Areum to come with me to the shoot for heavy makeup” She can’t keep it in, she had to laugh.

She touched his nape when the laugh ended. “Oppa..” her voice suddenly turned serious. “Remember that day… When I made that promise to you… When I committed to this…” her hand showing the house. “Of course I do… I am releasing the single to mark that day. It’ll be one year”

“Can you promise me the same thing?”

“What?? Didn’t I say it to you before?” He was surprised that he didn’t make a promise. She shook her head. “But you know I had made that commitment the moment we got back together…” She nodded, understanding.

“But…” he lifted her up to sit on his lap again. “I promise to anything you want. I promise to not love another. Only you.” He sealed it with a kiss. “Is that an OK promise?” She nodded happily.

“And no one can make me love another…” Only him.