The Date

One Shot: Loving Kang Gary

 

“I am getting a new tattoo today…” he said munching on his apple, walking to the dining table. Jihyo choked on the coffee she was drinking. “Another one??” He nodded happily. “what now?” she doesn’t mind him getting tattoos but he’s getting them too often she thinks it will come to a point his tattoos are less meaningful and he is just doing it for the sake of doing it.

“I am feeling lucky these days… I mean the past couple of years, I’ve been very lucky... so it’ll be on that. I am blessed with luck… I think you’re my lucky charm” he sat on the dining table by her side. She looked up at him. “Please don’t say you’re going to tattoo me on your skin!” She cringed at the idea.  “I don’t need to tattoo you on my skin… you’re already tattooed on my heart.” He was so cheesy she choked on her coffee again. “Hahaha! I’ll get going now. See you in the evening.  Have a good day at the spa” he kissed her cheek and walked out.

She picked up her phone to call one of her spa partners. “Jongkook oppa, where are you? Did you pick up Kwangsoo?”

“Yes. We’re nearly there. 10 minutes.”

“Gary is getting a new tattoo” the first thing she said getting in the car. Both Jongkook and Kwangsoo looked back at her. “What’s the occasion this time?” They know how Gary loves tattooing important things in his life. “He said he’s been lucky and I’m the lucky charm” she smiled at the memory of being a tattoo on his heart. “He’s tattooing you??” Both said in shock at the same time to her amusement. “No. He said he already tattooed me in his heart” she was smiling proudly. “Ayyyyy!!!” their response were in sync again. “Both of you match well.. he is so cheesy and you love all the cheesiness and baby talk”

“Any girl will want that… it’s the most ideal.  You two should learn some to get girls.  Without me in both your lives, you’d be girl-less” She always made fun of their non-existent love life. “I think we spoil you too much. Next time get Gary to go to the spa with you.” Jongkook pretended to be mad. She moved forward to give him a hug from behind the car seat “You know you’re ugly when you’re like this. Let me make up to you… I’ll get you a girl masseuse this time” she said playfully. “Ya!” Jongkook’s face is all red in embarrassment at the mention of a girl massaging him.  Kwangsoo was laughing out loud looking at Jongkook. She leaned back on her seat enjoying the lively mood of her closest buddies. “I really want to see the look on Gary Hyung’s face when he is forced to go to the spa with her” All three laughed imagining what Kwangsoo just said.  Gary hates going to spas.  He doesn’t like random people touching him.

After the 4-hour spa session, they bought food before going to Jihyo’s. Gary is already home watching TV. “Hyung, kwangsoo… come on in” he greeted as soon as he saw them at the door. They went straight to the dining table to set the food. Gary took Jihyo’s hand and walked her in. He was excited to show her his new tattoo. “Where’s your new tattoo?” she saw him smiling excitedly and knew he couldn’t wait to show it to her. He turned to show the back of his left arm. She was surprised he had a word written. Unlike his other tattoos. “Why is it so different this time? And you had LUCKY written so big.” She touched his tattoo along the outline. He turned to his side to see her. “I wanted it to be different. LUCKY is you. Come here, I’ll show you..” He pulled her to the couch and showed her the tattoo sketch on the paper. Jongkook and Kwangsoo went behind the couch to look at the drawing over them.

“This horseshoe is me. With this, when I look at it in the mirror, I’d know Lucky is always behind me.“ She is flattered. And when you look at it, you would know you are above other things…” Both their spectators were quiet, mouth gaped open, amazed at how cheesy Gary can be.

Jihyo touched the sketch. “Why is this in red?” she pointed to parts of the tattoo. “It represents the blood.. the hardship we both had in order to get lucky. To make it meaningful... to keep me grounded” She gets that the tattoo is not a simple one after all. “and yours are half red while mine are spread out on little spots. It’s because you went through a lot to stay with me… I’d say half the time. And you know well I have many little moments of hard times.” He continued his explanation that touched her heart. She reached out and pulled his face for a kiss on the cheek to show her appreciation. “I love it”.  Both their spectators still speechless behind them, mouth hanging open. “You two should learn a thing or two from….” She turned to look at them and laughed out loud. Gary turned in confusion looking at them.

She pushed Jongkook to get him out of the trance. “Oh myyyy God!” he said unbelievably. “You’re the God of all cheesiness” he bowed down to Gary. Kwangsoo out of words also bowed down. Gary laughed knowing he was the joke.

“Let’s eat” she took his hand and led him to the table. Her face still glowing in happiness sitting at the table. “Noona… I don’t think you will be able to find any other man to top him. I have never seen a man like this… or even a woman like you! Not even in drama scripts!”

“This is how you make a woman stay...” he said boastfully. “I don’t think there’s any other woman that would stand so much cheesiness. Only her” Jongkook said pointing at Jihyo. “No wonder she went back to you the moment she was free! You’re totally made for each other.” Jihyo smiled acknowledging what he said. “Jihyo must be really lucky to have him waiting for her after all those drama” she was embarrassed. “Let’s just eat now” she said to change the topic. Gary chuckled and whispered to her ear “I never wanted anyone else” to convince her he would still be there no matter how long it took her to come back.

 ….

“Baby… please wake up.” It was 4am. “Oppa… we just slept… I’m sleepy..” she said groggily. “I am hungry… let’s go out to get some food..” She was too sleepy to even answer. Gary gave up and went to the kitchen again hoping to get lucky and find a pack of ramyun hidden somewhere. His stomach growling he grabbed his car key and went out.

Jihyo turned to cuddle up to him but her hand landed on cold sheet. She woke up to find him missing from her side. She remembered him waking her up. She looked at the clock. 4.30am. Dialled his number but his phone was ringing on the bedside table. She went out of the room searching for him. His car key is missing. “He must have went out to get food” She went to the kitchen for a drink and heard the door clicked open. “Oppa…” she saw him walking to the kitchen with a bag of food. She went to him. “Sorry oppa… I was so sleepy…” He touched her cheek and smiled. “Are you hungry? Let’s eat.” She didn’t need to be hungry to eat. He opened up the food from the convenience store to heat them up.

“We’re out of food.  I should go shop for some food later.” He normally does the grocery shopping.  He was busy with shows and his restaurant that he had forgotten. “Why don’t you ask your assistant to shop for you? Or I can ask mine.” She watched him eat the cup noodle so hungrily. He shook his head while swallowing the food. “It’s ok… I want to see the things there and buy what I like. Besides it will only take a while. I just have to remember to drop by the mini market”

“You are very particular and choosy… but you never have anybody do it for you… so I am ok with that.  It’s so easy to take care of a man who knows what he wants” she said cheerfully. “Oppa!!” she realized something. “We have filming in 4 hours! I can’t sleep after all these food! I’d be bloating.” He chuckled seeing her worried face. “Then, let’s not sleep. I’ll stay up with you until it’s time to go” he cleared up the table with her.

“What do you want to do? Want to watch TV?” Gary asked with his sweet romantic voice. “Anything will do as long as I don’t fall asleep.” He had his arm around her shoulder and led her to the couch. He switched on the TV and the XBOX, passed her a controller. “Let’s see if you can beat me this time” he challenged her.

It is always fun to play games with her.  Every time she loses she would argue her points to have some handicap the next round. He would let her win sometimes to keep her interested.  Two hours went by swiftly. “Ok, enough.  Let’s shower…” he put down the controller and turned off the TV. “Together??” Jihyo was not into the idea. He nodded his yes. “But we have filming…” he was already pulling her. “You’re always sleepy on set anyway… no difference” she had to laugh at that because it’s true.

……

She got in the car feeling sleepy. “Oppa… I’m sleepy” he turned the ignition on and turned to look at her sleepy face. He bend towards her to reach for the reclining button and pushed back her seat so she can lie down comfortably. He pulled his jacket over her. “There... my baby is ready for her nap now” he gave her a kiss and let her sleep while he drove off for the one-hour drive.

When he reached the location, Jiyoung was already there. She saw his car and went straight to him in the parking lot. He scrolled down his window. “Hello, my friend! You’re looking beautiful today” he greeted her.  She saw Jihyo sleeping and he signalled for her to keep quiet. “Is everybody here?” He went out of the car to let Jihyo sleep on. “I think Jongkook and kwangsoo are on their way. PD said to be ready in 15 minutes.” They talked for a bit to catch up before Jiyoung excused herself to get ready.

He went to the passenger’s side to wake Jihyo up from her sleep. He leaned in and unfasten her seatbelt and shook her softly. “Baby…. Wake up. We’re here” She opened her eyes to see him smiling down. She rubbed her eyes. “It’s always good to wake up to that smile.” He rewarded her with a wake-up kiss and pulled her out of the car.  He held her hand and walked to the caravan to change their clothes. The guests are already gathered in front of the van.

“Here comes the loving couple” Guk-joo initiated the cheerful greeting from the guests while Jihyo bent her head down shyly. Gary was very happy and outgoing that morning. He stayed with them while Jihyo went in first. “Please be kind on my girlfriend today.  She’s tired.” All of them were swooning over the caring boyfriend. “Wow, it must be nice to have a boyfriend take care of you at work. You’re so cool oppa” Fei didn’t hide her admiration.

When she came out, the girls were all asked to be ready at their spot.  He held her back when the other girls started towards the spot. He gave her a hug “Sorry for making you tired. You can just relax during filming. Stay close to me whenever you can, I’ll make some couple moments for us. Don’t wear yourself out. It’s a hot day” She smiled looking at her caring boyfriend. “I’ll be okay, oppa.  I got my nap just now. Just don’t make me too jealous with all those girls.” He chuckled and kissed her cheek. “I won’t”.

…..

He kept his promise to not make her jealous.  He was having so much fun with Gukjoo and it was entertaining to watch him.  She never see Gary having that much fun with a guest.  He was clinging to her a lot that she is beginning to get jealous.

They had a break and Gary brought water and icepack for her to cool down in the scorching heat. Jiyoung was chatting with her. He casually sat beside Jihyo and applied the ice pack on her back. “My little brother has changed a lot!” Jiyoung impressed to see Gary so attentive. “Yes, unnie. He changed a lot!” Jihyo had to agree with Jiyoung. “I guess that breakup did you good.” She turned to Jihyo “You’ll never believe how sad he was when we were recording. He had to take a few breaks.. his voice cracked up.” Gary was smiling shyly remembering the days after the breakup. Jihyo didn’t know about it. “Really unnie?” She looked at him sympathetically and held his hand. “Yes.. but she gave me the best advice. And here I am.” Gary admitted. “I am glad it turned out okay.  You’re both good people. You deserve to be happy” Jiyoung is a very kind and positive woman. Jihyo admired that of her.

….

Gary thought Jihyo was very quiet because of the loud and active guests.  He knows she always tones down her character just to give them the space on the show. But he thinks she needs her airtime too. When they were playing basketball, he saw the chance to get her into focus without disrupting the others. He defended against her a few times and just to make sure it gets aired, he hugged her tight for so long while she objected.  She knew of his intention.

After the game, she had her arm around him and he automatically put his arm around her when they were walking into the final location. “Thank you oppa.” He was surprised because she was objecting to the PD about him holding her back. “I have to give you some airtime. You were too quiet.” Listening to the next mission explained to them, he went up to her during practice session. “Let’s have a bet. If you fail I get all your winnings and if I fail throwing the hoop, you can have mine” She looked at him. “You give them to me anyway… but sure, this time I’ll win it from you” She accepted the challenge. He proposed the challenge just to see the fire in her eyes. He wanted her to show the ace on the show. She had been an angel throughout the show. He likes her being an angel but he felt she needed to have her airtime.

….

Filming ended for the day and everybody was scattered sitting and laying down on the floor exhausted. Gary went towards Jihyo sitting beside Gukjoo. “My two favourite girls are sitting together!” but he sat next to Jihyo with his arm around her shoulder and planted a kiss on her cheek. “Don’t I at least get a hug?” Gukjoo joked. “I’ll give you a hug later ok… I can’t move from here now.  I am attached to her” He winked at Gukjoo. “You want to go home now?” he asked softly. She nodded. “I am really tired oppa…”

“He woke me up at 4am because he wanted to eat..” She felt the need to explain to Gukjoo why she was so tired. “Men! Can’t you eat alone?” she pitied Jihyo but Jihyo laughed when Gary’s face showed guilt. “He let me sleep.. but later I woke up by myself and ate with him.” She explained. Gukjoo stood up. “You better go home and rest. You have to shoot again tomorrow. A day filming Running Man is enough for me. I don’t think I want to come back… unless you have food race!” That cheered them up. “Gary… take good care of her” he hugged her goodbye. “I’m gonna miss you” he said cheekily. He held on to Jihyo’s waist and walked towards the rest to say their goodbyes. The head PD called Gary over. “Gary… about what you requested… We’ll do it for tomorrow’s filming. Make sure she’s in a good mood tomorrow. We’re starting early so get a good rest tonight.” Gary was so happy to hear that.

“Go soak in the Jacuzzi… I prepared a hot bath for you.  I’ll check on you once I get the food ready ok” He walked out of the bathroom to see Jihyo lying on the bed. She sat up and did as told while he went to the kitchen. She came out half an hour later to Gary setting dinner on the table.

“I feel better now” she hugged him before sitting down to eat. “There’s another filming tomorrow, eat a lot.” He filled up her plate with more food. “I hope it’s not as tiring as today… You better let me sleep peacefully tonight.  You should eat more so you don’t wake up at 4 am looking for food.” It was her turn putting extra food on his plate.


“I requested to be on the same team with you tomorrow. PD said it should be okay. Unless they changed their mind tonight, I will be taking care of you tomorrow.” He announced happily. “Seriously??” She was suddenly very happy. “You know.. I really want to go on a date with you in public…”

“I know… you told me last week” he held her hand. “Let’s date tomorrow. No matter what we are supposed to do tomorrow. Let’s treat it as a date. I made special request for the PD last week.. Told him I want to go on a date during filming”. Her eyes rounded in delight. “You’re the best! So what are we doing tomorrow?”  She was excited. “Errmmm… I don’t know.. they won’t tell me or agreed to it.. but they said it won’t be too tiring. Are you ready to let the camera film us?” He was worried about exposing their relationship. It may not be good for her career. “Well.. we are not admitting anything yet right? Let’s play it vague. Give the fans something to talk about. Telling it outright would be overwhelming.” He agreed with her. “Let’s just take things as it comes… I am seriously not going to pretend tomorrow.  I’ll just be myself.  But if you think I should cover up, just give me some signals ok?”

“I really think we should just be natural tomorrow for a change.  See how people react to that. But just don’t reveal too much details first. PD may not like it and may decide to keep us off the limelight for a while.”

….

“Oppa! We’re late!” She pushed him towards the bathroom and went directly to the wardrobe to take the clothes for him and herself to wear to the set. “Oppa! Make sure you shave” she shouted while choosing the clothes. He lifted up his head thinking he heard Jihyo but there was no more sound. He ignored and carried on showering.  The moment he walked out, she pushed through to get into the bathroom, rushed her morning routine.

....

They started right away.  Gary got his request fulfilled.  He got Jihyo and Sukjin.  He requested for Sukjin too because he know he will be most neutral to fulfil her wish to date.  The other members will have their characters to keep up with which will probably disrupt his plan.  She was enjoying the date and Sukjin was the perfect chaperone. He knew Jihyo love taking photos.  He wanted to take photo of them together but they included him just so he didn’t feel left out and as appreciation for being such a good company on their date.

 Walking on the streets, Gary noticed a historical couple mural that perfectly depicted their peppero kiss. “Jihyo and Gary” he pointed towards it. They were all surprised to find a mural so fitting to the date they’re on. Let’s take a picture of you two in front of this!” Sukjin was excited for them. “They’re definitely a match made in heaven… everything seems aligned in their path” he thought. Jihyo readily agreed and excited to take the photo. She said to herself “Now this will be the best date on set!”.  She looked at Gary and saw him very calm and cool as he had been the whole morning with her. She likes him this way, his natural way with her off camera.  He was not the normally shy guy when they are recording. That made her extra happy she was smiling admiring his peaceful charisma. She noticed something "you didn't shave" little stubble on his face obvious to her eyes although many wouldn't have noticed. He knew he heard her say something this morning! She must have told him to shave. "Don't i look more manly like this?" She answered with the sweetest yes in her eyes. 

Moving on, she held his arm to whisper to him “you’re most handsome today”. He asked the VJ to stop shooting for a while for some private time to which he understood and did as requested. He held her hand, walking the quiet street behind Sukjin and the VJ to the mission location. “Are you happy?” She nodded too enthusiastically he smiled looking at her adorable smile and softly pinched her cheek with his free hand. She turned to scan the area and gave him a quick peck on the cheek to his surprise… and joy. “I’d give you a long one on the lips but it’s too risky.” She winked.

Once they entered the empty restaurant, he saw a secluded corner and pulled her with him. “Why??” the question apparent on her blank face. Instead of answering he put a finger to her lips to silence her. They reached the secluded spot hidden from the people around and he hugged her tight. “Now is the time you give me the long one on the lips.”

“Ya! Where did you go?” HaHa saw them walking into the room together. He smiled sheepishly “I needed some time out.” Jihyo pretended she didn’t hear the question and took her seat in between Gary and Sukjin. Gary sat back and spread out his legs in a relaxed position. “Oppa, your leg is crossing my space” she whispered. “I just want to feel closer to you...” he said cheekily to which she had no objection to.

The moment the PD informed them of the “raise the heart beat” mission and hinting they can be as cheesy or use whichever method they want, Gary spoke out her name and raised his eyebrows with great confidence. They had the machine fixed on their bodies and resumed. They wanted to ask back and forth between the two of them for the mission. The initial measure for Gary was 77 while Jihyo is just slightly higher. Gary thought it’s tough to get it as high as 160. “That’s low… let’s try this..” he reached for her hand and their finger intertwined naturally.  She smiled at his action. She is so used to having him reach out to her like that, she didn’t think it would work on her. True enough her rate dropped while his started increasing. He knew it would increase if he held her... She always has an effect on him. He also knew from previous experience he has the opposite effect on her.  She used to tell him, he makes her calm in certain situations and he is sure this is one of it.

They discussed about how far they should get into the game while getting wired to the machine. Her plan was to just make him remember moments that would make his heartbeat increase. At this point of the relationship, she or he needs to go the extra length to get each other excited with high increase in the heartbeat. He said they should just play it safe or they would give away the secret.  Luckily Kwangsoo was not there to make jokes of what they were going to say. Jongkook and HaHa are used to their lovey dovey act but he knew they would not spoil their focus like kwangsoo would.

“Jihyo.. have you ever thought that I am attractive?” He knows the answer and the effect on her heartbeat. It increased while she answered. “Yes.. I have on many occasions think you’re cool…”

“Have you ever seen me as a woman?” Her heartbeat was increasing asking that question. She knew the answer and it is affecting her even before he answered. “Yes.”

“If I had confessed to you at that time… Would you have accepted me?” She was reliving the time she confessed. Her heartbeat as well as his increased. He was reminded of that same moment. “It would have been a whirlwind” He described their first phase of their relationship, how soon it ended. She nodded, getting his point but just to be sure she had to ask “you mean it would not work out right?” He agreed to that. Jongkook and HaHa were already cringing at the side watching and listening to them.

He figured their talk is not working in their favor. He had a backup plan. He knew getting close or touching her in front of the camera will get both of them nervous and excited. He suggested they get close and she moved in. He said they would just touch their noses. She was smiling so lovingly when they approach each other and their noses naturally come together without any adjustment needed. He decided to surprise her by turning his face as if he was going in for her lips.  She flinched and laugh at his move. It didn’t get that high. She is used to it. The only difference is they are in front of cameras recording them. They failed miserably. But their secret is safe. They succeed with Sukjin afterwards and Gary blurted out “If we knew, we wouldn’t have talked on our love!”

Walking out of the restaurant. The surrounding is so nice she spoke out her mind. “I wanna go on a date here…” to which Gary respond “we’re here, let’s date now” she is happy to hear that. “So we should date now” she reached her hand back and he readily held it. Hand in hand they walked behind Sukjin whom is giving them space they needed as a couple. He pitied them for not being able to date freely.

“We don’t have any feelings whatsoever..” Her immediate response was to laugh at those ridiculous statement. She supressed her laugh because she got his point.  He wanted her to say it first. “really?” she said not giving in. “We have no emotions involved” he reaffirmed the statement. “No, oppa.  We are dating now, holding hands” she smiled sweetly while Gary remained cool although he was happy.

“I really think Kang Gary is cool”

“I think you’re pretty”

“Seriously.. he is cool when he is on stage..”

“You’re always pretty everytime I see you” He didn’t want to lose to her.

“He is cool especially when he sticks his belly out like this” she demonstrated. Gary smiled at her “And you’re always pretty”. She had always said her ideal man must have the tummy. She tells him that often too. She thinks it makes a guy looks cool and hot. He tried to maintain that belly although at times he loses it when he is too busy to eat or go out for drinks.

“You know.. you’re pretty the first time I saw you… You’re still pretty now. You will always be pretty” He kept repeating the same word. He wasn’t out of words. He just want her to hear him say it repeatedly and for the world to know what he thinks of her.

….

“What’s wrong? Are you tired?” She saw him sitting on the floor head bent down and went to sit beside him with her arm around his back. “Yes, I am a little dizzy from all those food.” She kneaded his shoulder, leaning close to him. “Does this help?” he nodded “A little. Let’s just get this over with so we can go home and rest.”

“Hey you lovebirds! Didn’t you have enough time dating the whole morning?” HaHa sometimes think Jihyo clings to Gary a lot. “No, oppa… Gary oppa is not feeling well”

“I think he had too much love and affection, he is going to throw up anytime soon!” Jongkook in. “Ya! You’re not helping!” Jihyo responded while Gary couldn’t care to give a response.

“baby… let me lean on your shoulder and close my eyes for a while…” She moved to make him comfortable. Jongkook noticing Gary was really tired went to the PD to ask for a 15 minute break for Gary to rest.

….

“Are you OK to drive baby?” He was leaning on his left side in the passenger’s seat. “I am in a way better condition than you are right now.. so, yeah” He laughed weakly. “We’ll be home soon” and he was already dozing off.

The moment he reached the bedroom, he went straight to the bed to continue his sleep. “Wait, oppa… change your clothes first” She took his cotton tee from a drawer. He pulled off his shirt and pants off while lying down. Jihyo looked at him amused at his sleepiness. She helped put on his tee. Jihyo pulled off his socks and changed herself into large tee and shorts before assuming her place beside him to sleep too.

….

He was up first. The familiar weight on his chest giving him peace. He didn’t feel like waking up then. He laid awake, her back and going through his phone with the other hand. He his camera for a selfie and admired the picture he saw on his phone screen. She was sleeping peacefully. She heard the shutter sound and moved, waking up. She hear the sound a few times while gaining her sense. She saw him smiling on the phone and smiled for the picture. She lifted up her head and reached to kiss his chin for another picture. He kissed her forehead.

“The boss texted… The fanmeet is scheduled at noon” He informed her of their shared work schedule.

“Good! I’ll have a few days to relax… just make sure we’re not fighting before the event.” He chuckled remembering the last fanmeet. He was not in a good mood because they had a fight the day before and didn’t cool off in time for the event. It was hard for them because they had to pretend.

“Let’s make it a good one this time.” He hugged her close. “I’ll just relax and spend time with you before the event. Putting my recording on hold”. The mention of not recording was a relief to her. She didn’t like it when he records before they have an event. He’d get into his emotions and sometimes he brings it home and it affects her.


“Thank you.” She leaned up on him to look him in the eyes. “I think we’re getting really good now. You make me sooooo happy” It was so sweet and cute at the same time he was grinning lovingly. “And you complete me…” He was quoting Jerry McGuire but he chuckled in embarrassment for quoting it. She laughed. “Thank you for the date today… It was the best date! You were so calm and cool… I feel like the luckiest girl walking through the streets.”

He touched her lips. “This is the reason I do all those things. You have the most beautiful smile. I can live on this... forever.”

“forever.” She loves the sound of it.