The Missing

One Shot: Loving Kang Gary

He rested his palm on her back and leaned in. “Let’s go home now…” His whisper sounded tired. She turned to look at him, concerned. He was OK during the filming. She touched his arm. “Are you okay?”

“I’m just exhausted and my back’s hurting a little.” She his back while looking around. “Let’s go chat with the guests for a while before we go.  It wouldn’t be nice if we go without spending time with them.” She smiled talking him into staying for a while. He nodded and walked with her towards the guests.

“Let’s go for dinner at my restaurant before we part” HaHa being his normal generous host and everybody was loving the idea.  Jihyo looked at the man beside her to see if he is OK. “Sure. Let’s go!” He was addressing the whole crowd cheerfully as they started walking towards the cars.

Jihyo and Gary walked slowly behind the rest. “Honey, are you okay to go? I thought you’re tired… we can just tell them we need to go somewhere else”. Both of them shivering in the cold weather, the thick winter clothes were not enough. She was worried he would get sick.  He barely gets his rest these days.  She can see Gary’s hands shivering in the pockets of his jacket.

“We have to eat anyway.  I think I can handle this.” He smiled to convince her while his hand reached out to take hers. He pulled her to walk fast towards the car.  Everybody else was already inside.  They left the front row seats vacant for them and Kwangsoo waiting at the door.

Jihyo settled in, leaning her back on him like she normally does and he automatically had his arm around her waist. Everybody was chatting away in the big MPV. Jihyo doesn’t feel like joining in.  She just feels like enjoying the warmth enveloping her. She finally relaxed after the tiring shoot. The peace the man provided is good for her.  Gary joined in the chatter from time to time out of courtesy.

He turned to kiss near her ear and whispered “you’re tired aren’t you?” She nodded and pulled his arm around her closer. “yeah.. but I am charging from you” she didn’t have to turn for him to know she’s smiling. He pulled her in tighter.

Kwangsoo watched them and admired how they get along so well together. Normally he would make fun of their affection towards each other but tonight he saw them really tired and decided best to give them some space to rest.  He did hangout at Gary’s studio every now and then to see how he was getting on with the new album. He knows Gary needs as much rest as he can get.  He has been working hard.

Gary walked out of the room while drying his hair. Jihyo looked at him with a smile admiring how good he looks in his plain white tee and shorts. “Come here..” she took hold of the massage oil on the sofa beside where she was sitting. “You’re always so attentive” Gary sat on the floor between her two legs and leaned against the sofa.

“I am going to miss you…” he spoke up after a while. “It has always been me that goes so far for so long. You had never left me for more than a few days and the trips were never this far. Arrghhhh” She laughed softly at his misery. “I guess now you’ll know how I feel when you go away for so long.” She speaks softly into his ear while kneading his shoulder. He leaned back to look at her eyes above him. He wasn’t smiling and she felt guilty.

“Oh my God you look so sad, honey..” She leaned down to kiss him. He pulled her onto his lap but she was holding her hands up, avoiding his face. “Honey, the oil is going to burn your eyes if I touch you!” He steadied her on him and pulled her hands around the back of his neck.

“I’ll miss you too…” She confessed. “But don’t worry about me. Jongkook oppa is helping me settle in the first day. The stylists are there to get lost with me too” She sighed knowing she can’t depend on the stylists she is taking with her since it’s their first time too. “Good that hyung arranged to delay your shoot to coincide with his schedule there.  At least I know you’re in good hands… for the first 2 days at least” She leaned her forehead against his. “I wish Areum could go with me… but she’s busy with her work.”

“You’ve paved the road for her, let her enjoy working on her own now.  It’s time you let go of each other in certain things.” He consoled her. “I hope… soon enough, I get to go with you without having to worry about creating a scandal.” She leaned back to look at him. “Soon?” She stared at him. “I thought you didn’t want it to be so soon? I wouldn’t mind tho” she will be happy with whichever choice he makes.

“Nope.. not so soon” he shook his head. “Let’s just enjoy this secrecy and privacy first. And I want you to focus on your work for now, you’re hot in the market right now, I wouldn’t want to spoil it for you.. You’ve been working hard all these years to have reached this far.” He tucked  her hair behind her ear, looking into her eyes. “You know it’s not about me not wanting to go public with you right?” He convinced her of that every single time although she always tells him she understands. “because I would be the happiest guy the moment we’re in the open. But I want you to have your dreams first before making my dream come true. He puts it so romantically that she would have nothing to object against it. “Thank you, honey”

….

The jetlag was really bad for Jihyo. And the time difference is making it hard for her to really talk or text her man.  She didn’t want to disturb his sleep because he has not been sleeping much lately.  He would be busy in the studio most of the time, working on tight schedule. She would not want to distract him and let him focus on his work. 

He has been delaying on the album because he was not satisfied with the quality. He works hard at finding new sounds and wanting it to sound fresh and make it beyond expectations of the fans. He always puts more than his best in his music. He’s been getting a lot of exposure with the people he met touring other countries. He would want that to reflect in his music.  Jihyo doesn’t mind much when he is busy with work. She used to but she understands it’s important to him and makes him who he is.  Over the years she had grown an admiration for the way he works on his art.

She gets a few hours off every day in between her photo shoots. She explored the city and went to every place Gary listed down for her.  The places he went to when he was there last year. She took photos the way he did.  She thought to be sweet and have similar photos of the trip to show him so it feels like they went on the same trip.  She was already missing him looking at the notes and pictures he prepared for her trip.  Despite his tight schedule, he managed to compile all the things she needs for the trip.  He included cute photos of himself which made her laughed out and smiled with hint of tears in her eyes.

He called but she was busy and could not answer his calls on few occasions. She texted back when she’s done but always too late to catch his free time. They can only text with delayed replies and it’s making him upset not getting much attention from her.  He is used to her spoiling him with constant communication.  She would always be available when he is overseas. But now that it’s the other way around, it’s a different case.

She received a text just when she was going to sleep. It was already past midnight and she had a full day. She texted back with the happiest smile on her face in her sleepiness. “Facetime now?” and a few seconds after she sent the text reply, Gary was calling her on facetime. She answered the video call.

“Honeeyyy!!! I miss you so much” she had tears in her eyes.  Gary was suddenly trying to hold back tears too. He felt guilty for being upset with her.

“I miss you too much. A few days but it’s like hell without you here. This is the first time we’re on video call. Talk about being busy!” He saw her and knew she was tired and sleepy. “Did they treat you well there?” He was worried about her.

“Your sister came over to the studio to catch me before she went on her work trip.  We didn’t have much time to catch up but she’ll be back before I go back so I’ll spend some time with her later” and she goes on to tell him about her days there for the next 30minutes.

“Oh yeah, your friend Ryan came over to the studio to see me…” She saw Gary was surprised to hear that. “Oh? He didn’t tell me he was going. I didn’t tell him you’re there either. I don’t really talk about us to friends I rarely hangout with but I guess all my friends know I am with you”

“I guess so… He came to take me out for lunch today. Since I was free, I went with him.” Gary was a little upset that she just thought of bringing him up after talking for so long.  And what made him more upset was that the handsome American-Korean friend of his didn’t tell him he was going to see her. “Wait.. are you upset?” Now, Jihyo was worried. Gary doesn’t like her getting to friendly with other men. But she thought she was far from home and his friend was nice to keep her company.

“No… I just don’t like the idea of you spending time with a handsome guy when you’re lonely… and I am not there.. he must be very charming and fun and…”

“You’re jealous!” she laughed it off. He failed to cover it up. “I know him. Girls go crazy because of his good looks and sweet talks.. you’re lonely..”

“Come on!” She’s feeling a little annoyed with his insecurity. “He’s just being nice.  He knows I am your girlfriend. And by now, you should know that I wouldn’t think of him or any other guy that way. Now, I am upset.” She definitely wasn’t smiling.

“Let’s just not talk about him OK.” He learned from past experience not to take it further when she’s upset. “You’re tired and I am tired. Let’s call it a day. You go to sleep right away and get a good rest.” She calmed down. She knew Gary was upset but keeping it cool so she thought she should at least do the same too.

“Ok honey.. you get a good rest too. Goodnight.” She said smiling and waving to him.

“Good night, baby.” He blew her a kiss and waved goodbye with a weak smile.

….

“Areum, can you please come to the airport this instant! Gary oppa is not picking up his phone” Jihyo sounded anxious. Areum reached the airport. Jihyo called Gary before she boarded the flight and he said he was going to stay home and pick her up in the morning.  She had been calling since she landed and he is not picking up the phone.  She was upset at first but after a few attempts, she is worried.  He said he had been sick a few days before.

“HaHa oppa…” HaHa was up and cooking breakfast at home. “Can you please go over to my place and see if Gary oppa is there. He’s not answering my calls, I’m just worried if something happened to him.. You know where the spare key is… can you please check?”

“Hey.. calm down.  I’ll go up right now and I’ll call you back.”  HaHa was worried too. It was unusual of Gary to not turn up when it concerns Jihyo.   Gary had dinner at his place last night and he did complain of a headache.

As Jihyo was walking to the VIP arrival lounge, HaHa called. “The love of your life is just fine.  He was sleeping. He’s getting ready to pick you up now. Told me to tell you to wait for a bit” Jihyo was infuriated now that she knew he was ok. “Just tell him to continue sleeping. Areum’s almost here.” She hung up and HaHa knew she was upset.

Gary was rushing putting on hist shirt and spraying his perfume. “Hyung, Areum’s there for her.  She said for you to continue your sleep…” He chuckled. “She sounds upset” And Gary gave out a loud sigh. And laid back on the bed. “I dreamt I picked her up!” and HaHa was laughing out loud.

“I’ll go now… good luck making up!”

….

“I guess you’re coming home with me?” Areum asked the moment she saw her sister’s unsmiling face. “Yes.. and I’m jetlagged. I am so not ready to argue with him, I’m sleepy and groggy.  He was sleeping at home, apparently. He was so sure about being here yesterday although I told him I can have my manager do that. Now, I have to call you because my manager would be nagging me if he knew no one was waiting for me at the airport and I was left alone to wait.”

“So now, I have to hear you nag about him too?” She was pointing it out to her with a smile. “Sorry, sis. I forgot about you. Sorry to have you rushing here so early.”

“It’s OK. I have an early appointment at work.  Just in time to be there if I send you to  home. You can rest there while I work. You would be asleep and don’t need me there anyway.”

Jihyo went straight to the bedroom and landed herself on the bed.  She was too sleepy. 

Gary tried calling her so many times but it went to her voicemail.  It’s very normal for her phone to run out of battery after a long day out so he is not surprised it didn’t get through.  He called Areum.

“Oppa, I’m busy right now. But unnie is at my house probably sleeping. Gotta go.” She rushed the phone call with what Gary wanted to know.  She is used to it. Gary is used to this situation too. It’s normal of her to go to Areum’s when she’s upset with him.  He normally gives her time and space for her to cool down. He had the day free so he can spend time with her. But since she’s not making herself available, he went straight to the office. Might as well get some work done and distract himself.  Otherwise he’d be calling her every five minutes.

“Hey! I thought you wanted to take the day off?” Minjung patted his back the moment he walked in and saw Gary sitting at the table. “She’s sleeping at home. Decided to come here and finish off those office works.  I told the staff to get some food. Let’s eat before we start working. I’ll be off later in the evening.” He doesn’t feel like explaining the real situation but his manager is used to it and knew what must have happened.

Gary was his cheerful self among the staff. He wanted to cheer himself up.  He was missing her badly and she’s near but she won’t see him. He has not been shaving for a few days, waiting for her to come home and attend to him.  She would always nag him about not shaving and will always do it for him.  He loves her nagging him on it and the fact that she takes good care of him afterwards. He does it every time they are apart just so she can come back and shave it off for him.  He posted a picture of his puppy face on instagram so she could see him when she wakes up.

Jihyo woke up in the evening to so many notifications on her phone, most from Gary.  She read and smiled. She can never be upset with him for too long.  He has a way with her. She would end up going to him most of the time. She checked on her instagram while drinking her juice and almost choked when she saw Gary’s post. “That face!” she knows that face well. She dialed his number.

“Hello, baby” he sounded excited and very happy that she giggled. “Hello, honey” He heard her smiling.

“Did you sleep well without me?” His voice melts her heart right away. “I would have slept better with you but you didn’t turn up” she gave it to him softly. “Sorry baby… I seriously dreamt I picked you up and we’re already home”

“Yeahh I read your text.” She had accepted his explanation and forgave him. “So when are you going to come to me?” The words he’s been waiting for. “Righ away! Get ready, I’ll be there in 20 minutes!” He grabbed his car keys and walked out of the office to his new Bentley parked downstairs.

A few months ago, she told him she prefers a sedan than cars like his Cayenne or Land Rover because they attract too much attention. So last month, he bought a sedan, in the name of Bentley. “Yaa! I meant a normal Sedan! This is for sure going to have people looking inside wondering who’s in the car!” She laughed it off.  She knows Gary loves his cars and love them expensive. “At least we’re laying low with this car” she joked, comparing the high built of his other cars.

“Hey, I compromised with my choice of cars with yours.. and came to this” He smiled cheekily.  He lives a moderate life, however he goes for the best when it comes to cars, music and woman. “I have exquisite taste… That’s why I am crazily in love with you, you’re the ultimate best!” He explained himself well to her.  At least she’s convinced he loves her a lot to be buying a car he would not buy, given the choice.

He reached Areum’s house as promised with a bouquet in his hand.  He has the door code and let himself in.  Jihyo was asleep on the couch. “Aigoo… It was only 20 minutes and she’s already asleep” He whispered to himself. He sat down beside her and pulled her to sleep on his chest. In her sleep, she had her arms around his waist and snuggled up to him, He let her sleep, enjoying the peace and holding her in his amrs. He was already writing lyrics of that moment in his mind. He was typing away the lyrics on his phone single handedly. Jihyo came awake after feeling the small movement. She opened her eyes and saw the phone screen. She instantly knew it was him typing.  She feigned being asleep but read on what he was typing.  She didn’t want to break the flow of ideas coming thru him.

The moment he put down the phone, she whispered “That’s really sweet..” He looked at her while she got up from his chest. He was blushing. “Your face is pink!” she squeezed both his cheeks between her palms and kiss the pout on his face. “Thank you, love”

Suddenly she got up and pulled him to the bedroom. “Wait, you miss me that much??” She had never been that desperate for him, She looked back at him and got what he meant. “No! it’s not ‘that’! I want to show the things I had from New York, silly”

She proceeded to unpack one of the bags. “Here’s all your favorite things.” He went thru the bag excitedly. “You bought every possible thing I would have bought!” He picked up a sweatshirt and his eyes were beaming happily. “Yeah, they had it restocked, I knew you wanted it… the guy at the store told me you were looking for it… and those few things” she pointed out the rest of the things he wanted.

“Apparently, they watched running man and knew we’re close… Now that I’ve bought every single thing he mentioned you like… That would have confirmed that we are very, very close”

“Hahaha! And I believe you didn’t think of it when you took all these?” She nodded. Guilty as charged. Then, she picked up a thing from another bag. “Ryan bought this for me as a gift… we went shopping after lunch..” He stared at her while she was holding up the bracelet to show him.

“You didn’t tell me you went shopping with him.” He sat down trying to calm himself.  He leaned against the wall and had his head up, eyes clothes trying to breathe normally, controlling his anger. She had seen that before.  He gets very jealous no matter how.  He just can’t imagine her with another guy. She sat down in front of him and held his head so she can look into his eyes.

“I love that you’re jealous when I talk about guys.  Previously, I would have been annoyed but recently, and weirdly, I am starting to appreciate you being jealous. Shows that you’re very much in love with me and very possessive too. “ She kissed him. “I love you just the way you are… you can be jealous all you want and I would talk you into forgetting about it. I would not mind convincing you I am yours every time.”

She stood up and hel out her hand for him.  He reached out and stood up. She hugged him close. And he melted. He hugged her back. “I miss you.” He had calmed down. “You spoil me and I think I am getting worse.  I don’t think I can stand being apart for so long.”

“I know… I am taking care of you now.  Don’t you worry.” She patted his chest showing the thing she’s looking after most.  His heart. “I want to be your muse, I want you to write me into songs forever.”

“And I want you to feature you on my songs. Please at least rap a little on it.  I promise I won’t release it if you don’t like it.”

“I’ll do one song first. Let’s give it a try.” She wanted him to be happy. He was nodding with the happiest smile. “First, take me home.  I want to go home.”

“OK, you pack this bag up while I bring the two bags down. I’ll come for the rest and you”

He gave her a peck on her cheek and was rushing out with the two bags. She smiled looking at him walking out.

She too, could not imagine not having him around. She can never go away. She knows she will always come back to him. She knows he will always be there for her.

 

 

Note:

This was when Jihyo went to New York for the Marie Claire shoot.

Gary posted the unshaved face on instagram and she did post a few photos similar to his previous visits to NYC.