The Boss

One Shot: Loving Kang Gary

 “Are you doing ok? Is it getting better?” It’s the third time she called and it is only 2pm. It was her lunch break. “My dear… you called 2 hours ago. Even if my condition improved, it wouldn’t be much within that short period.” He was groggy from his interrupted nap. The silence was too long that Gary finally woke up and changed his tone. “But to answer your question, I am feeling much better because I am hearing your voice right now.”

He has a way with words. She was smiling looking into the mirror in her dressing room. She was going to be upset but his words turned it around. “I am really sorry I can’t be there to care for you…”

“It’s OK… It’s actually good that you’re not around…”

“what??” She heard him chuckle and knew he was going to kid about it.

“If you’re here with me, I am pretty sure I’d have to work my back somehow and it will definitely get worse.” She got what he meant and laughed softly. “So you don’t want me to go see you?” She tested him.

“Noooooo!” He can never beat her at this game. She always gets him in the end.

“I’m going to see you in two days. Make sure you get better. Don’t force yourself during practice. I’m sure the fans will understand.”

“Yeah, I am not going to move much… It’s going to break me if I do.” He sighed. He hates it when he’s not able to give fully on stage.

“Think about it this way… I am going to be so worried if you get hurt any more than this. You wouldn’t want me to get distracted and drag this movie shoot right?” she . “I’d want to finish it on time so I can actually rest and make up for lost time with you.”

He was smiling brightly to the ceiling. “I want you to come back soon. The time you come back here, you’re already busy with work here and I only get a few hours every week. I am still ok now but I am not sure if I am going to be OK with it in a few weeks.” He continued whining while she giggled and responded to him with her sweet and cute words.

They are apart yet they make the best of technology and communicate whenever there is time. She learned that he doesn’t like being ignored by her. She will make sure she calls him during her break. Now that he’s not well, she wanted to make sure he is doing ok recovering. She knows he is stubborn when it comes to compromising his work for his own good so she has to remind him often to take care of himself.

She ended the call and her brother was already eating lunch on the couch behind her.

“Come and eat, you have another hour to eat and get ready for your next scene.” He opened her packed lunch for her and she moved to sit next to him.

“Thank you for agreeing to this job… I am really happy that you’re here with me.”

“Gary hyung wanted me to take care of you. I had to come.”

“I’ve been offering you to work with me but you didn’t want to come back. You liked it so much in New York. What did he do to you?” She was curious. She never asked before but thought it the best time to ask.

He scratched his head. He knew she was going to ask him someday. He didn’t think that jihyo would accept it he said he just prefer to listen to Gary compared to her. He decided on speaking the truth.

“You know back when I was younger and you weren’t that famous, before I went to study in New York…” she nodded her head. “We were big fans of Leessang and the other few acts. Of all of them, remember how we use to fight who gets Gary as our most favorite?” He chuckled remembering their foolish game fighting over who gets to have Gary on top of their list”

Jihyo smiled remembering the good old times fighting with her little brother. She has Gary at the top of her list now.

“I grew out of it as I grow up… I forgot why I liked him so much back then and when you were working with him on the show, I didn’t really watch much but when I watched him, it just felt good.. you know like when we remember how ice cream tasted like and that joy we had during the rare occasion we had ice cream. It kinda feel that way. He reminds me of good old times and I wasn’t that lonely living in New York. He’s like a brother I never had” Jihyo’s eyes were as round as they could get because she was surprised that her brother was so fond of Gary.

“Why didn’t you tell me you’re still a big fan of his?”

“Hahaha! I didn’t know all that until he came to visit me at my apartment in New York the last time he went.” She gave his address to Gary so he could bring some things from home to her brother. Gary didn’t say much about it and so did her brother.

“Actually… he stayed the night at my place. He wanted to get away from the entourage to rest.”

“He did??” She thought Gary probably think it’s nothing big and forgot to tell her.

“We talked a lot. We’ve never met but we bonded like brothers. He even told me he was so in love with you and how insecure he was about you. I guess he didn’t have anyone to talk to about you, he was missing you and I was there. We talked of you. A lot!”

“Seriously?? Why didn’t you tell me before?”

“I thought he would have told you and you’d ask me if you wanted to know more. You never asked so I assumed he told you and you had nothing to ask further or he didn’t want to tell you for some reason”

She finished eating and looked at her watch, still a lot of time before they call her on set. Her brother knew she wants all the details now that she knew.

“He told me he was worried for you. How he was torn between living it out in the open or keeping you a secret.. torn between making you happy and keeping you safe. It was a long talk he even told me of how you broke up and got back together. I told him you would know how to take care of yourself since you’ve been through a lot and he should just do what he feels right. What he said made me more of his brother than yours…”

“What did he say?” She was really curious.

“He said that he had seen you go through so much and had contributed to you living a hard life for some time.. He said he would not want to see you go through it again. He said it’s time you get your reward for all those time.. it will be selfish of him to see all your hard work put to waste because of him and that you should be enjoying the best life has to offer… He’d want to be a part of you at your best. Then, he suddenly put his arm around my shoulder and humbly asked me for a favor. I agreed to it.” He finished his explanation with a proud smile curving on his face.

Her face is still anticipating more from her brother. “Then??”

“So I did as I promised. I told him to let me know when he needs me back here and 2 months back he called me up and asked me to come back here and work for him.”

“Just like that?? I have been asking you for years and he did in a day and you’re on standby for his instruction??” She didn’t know if she should be upset. Her brother laughed nervously.

“He talked to me about being an adult and responsibility.  He was really cool about it that it made me want to be like him. He didn’t force it on me but made me realize things I never did. I told him of my plan and he didn’t look down on me, he was really supportive. He promised to be my brother.” He was telling her with admiration for her boyfriend. She was touched.

“Besides.. He is paying me to take care of my own sister. He let me use his bachelor pad and all I had to do was take care of his shoes and clothes there… and I get to hang out with him when you have other schedule. He buys me good clothes, good food. He gives me great life advice. I could not have asked for more”

“Yaa! It sounds like you’re taking advantage of him now.. You get all the perks.”

“He’s teaching me about his business too… He said I should get to know people while I accompany you here so I can help out with the Halyang brand here. I convinced him to open up the store here” He was proud of his achievement with his future brother in law.

Jihyo was left speechless. She didn’t know her brother and boyfriend get along too well. She knows why Gary did what he did.

...

 

“Oppa… I’ll be going back tomorrow and head straight for filming. I’ll see you there.” She texted him the night before not knowing that she won’t be seeing much of him.

Gary was excited to finally see her but that morning the PD called. They made special arrangement because he was not fit to film. They blindfolded him and took him to a boxed cabin. The mission was for the other members to search for him. He was thankful they considered his condition and gave him a bed for him to rest. He missed Jihyo but the thought of the team accommodating him made it ok to miss her for a few hours more.

She went on set and was frustrated that Gary wasn’t there.  The PD explained to them of their filming plan and she knew why Gary didn’t answer her text or call that morning, At least she was relieved to know he’s actually OK and filming.

Luck was on her side because Gary described well. They’ve walked and cycled through the areas too many times to not know it by heart.  She knew Gary could have given better hints but it would be too obvious. But she knew anyway. She navigated far better than the GPS that Jaesuk had to hint for her to not get more obvious. She just wanted to get there fast.

The moment she got there, both were trying hard not to show so much of their happiness upon seeing each other.  During a short break she went to him.

When filming ended the members were all excited to update Jihyo on what they were up to when she was away.  Gary watched them and smiled.

“Guys.. since you’re here… Let’s go up to my place and we can chat there comfortably.” Gary offered his place.

They are familiar with his home. They used to hang out there a lot before he got very serious with Jihyo. Even Gary himself is rarely there after that.  He uses it to store his things and to do some studio work in private. Sometimes he entertains guests there. Jihyo’s brother stays there now. He has other homes he frequents. A posh apartment he bought near HaHa’s is where Jihyo currently lives with him. It’s their home but known to others as Jihyo’s place. He has a small villa by Han River two hours’ drive out of the city, often used on days they need privacy.

Jihyo went in the van and sat next to him in the back, finally getting to hug him. He kissed the side of her face when it took too long for her to let go. She wasn’t letting go. “Good to see you back.. Gary’s been so miserable the past week.” Jaesuk finally saw Gary smiling brightly. He took a seat in front of them. They didn’t say a word but stayed in each other’s arms during the short drive home.

Gary sat at the end of the couch while Jihyo and Kwangsoo got drinks and snacks ready for the others.

“When’s your  flight back Jihyo?” Jongkook asked while she sat leaning back against Gary’s chest. Gary automatically turned to breathe in her scent and hugged her close, a normal scene to those close to them.

“It’s tomorrow.. in the evening.” Her hand squeezed the hand on her waist. She knows he get tensed every time she mentions going away. “But it’s going to finish soon. Hopefully we can be done by next month and I get my schedule free to welcome the new year.” She was already beaming happily imagining the time off work.

“Yeah… it better end soon. Gary looks so gloomy when you’re not around.” She held up her hand to his cheek. “He got me in the project so he can’t really complain now. He's the boss, I follow his orders.. most of the time.”

“I got you that project because I know I can just go there anytime I want… I didn’t know I’m going to get injured and be stuck here.” He made that cute face he made when he whines and everybody laughed at him.  Gary never liked showing his weakness but he is surely weak when it concerns his girlfriend.

They spent the next 2 hours updating each other on their life and events before heading home.  Jaesuk had to leave for his next appointment and they all took their leave wanting to give the couple some alone time. The moment Jihyo closed the door he pulled her to him for a long kiss that had her swooning.

“I miss you too” She spoke up when he finally let go of her lips. He leaned his forehead against hers. “but… let’s get us cleaned up and then we can catch up on lost time.” She pulled him to his bedroom to set up the Jacuzzi. He stood by and watched her with a smile.

“You know… I love it when you’re around.. you make me feel like a king. You take good care of me and spoil me. That’s why I get miserable when you’re not around.” She was drying his hair after she was done dressing herself.

She saw him trying hard to put on his pants. She bent down and helped lift his legs into his pants. “You have no idea how hard it is to wear my pants in the morning. Thank God you’re here.” She smiled and didn’t speak much. She held out her hand and pulled him to walk to the living room and sat him down at the corner of the couch. She cooked dinner while he went through his phone to check his work emails.

“Ok.. you can put away the phone now. Eat this..” She’s already spooning the porridge and blowing on it for him. She fed him and he obediently ate with her as they talked.  She was quite upset when he updated her on his practice and going out with friends because he was supposed to rest and recover.

When she was done cleaning up the kitchen, she sat by his side facing him. She took his right hand and he turned to face her with a curious face. When things like that happen, she will talk about something serious.

“Oppa…” She was calm so he was not that nervous. He crossed out jealousy on his list of possibilities. “Why didn’t you tell me you spent the night at Moonie’s when you were in New York?”

“Oh!” He didn’t want to tell her but she knew anyway. “I needed time away from all the people I have around. We got to talk til late so I asked if I can spend the night…”

“Tell me the truth.. Moonie told me what you talked about. I just want to hear it from you. Please..”

He smiled and pulled her to sit across his lap so he can face her better.

“You told me how much you missed him before. You always talk so fondly of him and how worried you are of his future and how he was enjoying life without a definite plan. I wanted to know what he was up to so I can convince you he is fine and you don’t have to worry.”

“But when you talked to him, it turned out differently didn’t it?” She interrupted. She knew her brother was living a carefree life. He chuckled admitting the truth in her words.

“He’s just like me when I was his age. But he’s a good guy so he’ll do great if there’s great support. I asked him and he explained what he wanted to do. Sometimes, people may have unrealistic dreams but we don’t have to belittle them. I’ve learned to look at the better side of things so I told him my view on it without belittling it. He is still young, he is unaware of many things so I gave him some advice on how he should approach it and maybe make some changes. He seemed very motivated so I told him I’d support his plan if he is willing to accept my opinion and make changes.”

“and?” She knew there is more to it. He knew the answer she was looking for and smiled. He is actually embarrassed to talk of things he does for people. He is not used to boasting of his good deeds. She smiled looking at his shy face. “This is why I love you… You never talked about things like this. You’re generous and love helping out. I wouldn’t have known if HaHa and Jongkook oppa didn’t tell me. I wouldn’t know if Sukjin oppa didn’t tell me you helped him with his failing business. I had always wondered why they were trying so hard to get us back together. They knew what I didn’t know.”

 

“I wanted him to come back here so you won’t be worried. So I offered him the job to take care of you.  I think he would be the best candidate for the job because he is your brother. I can trust him to do what’s best for you. I worry about you a lot when you’re away in other countries. People may take advantage of you and some may even make up stories about you… with your brother there, people can’t say or do much.” She smiled lovingly. He always has it thought out for her. He makes sure she is protected even when he is not around.

She kissed him briefly. “Thank you, darling. I don’t think I will ever find a better man. Don’t leave me… not when you’ve already made me fall so deep for you.” He pulled her close in a hug. “Everything I am doing right now, I do them with you in mind. I have enough money to have things go my way now. As long as I can afford it, I will do it.”

“Thank you for buying me out of the deal with CJes. You manage my career way better than they did. I make more money and progress with you…”

“But you don’t mind me controlling every aspect of your life? People are starting to say I am a control freak wanting to know every single detail.” He wanted to know what she thinks.

“Of all the people, I’d rather have you be a control freak. Everybody else would control me for money but I know you’re controlling me because you love me.” She his chin to reassure him. “Honestly, I love that you fuss over little things. I love that you got my brother to come back, I love it that you can arrange my schedule to fit yours tho I am not that happy with this China arrangement.” He chuckled and gave her a peck on the lips. “I’m sorry.. I thought of going in and out of shanghai. I even set up a Halyang store there so I have reasons to go there. But I have my treatment schedule now. I’ll try to get better before the song project. That, we’ll get to work together for a few days.”

“China has been treating us well… I am not complaining” And she loves the fact that China prefers them together rather than as individuals.

“Are we done talking? Can we do something else?” He smirked.

“Anything but that…”

“But I miss you!”

“But your back still hurts…”

“I just want to cuddle, it’s not going to hurt my back…” He was fooling with her. And she hit him on his chest.

“Ouch! I wasn’t even going there.. you assumed I wanted seex!” He laughed while she got up and walked away.

“Ya! Where are you going?? Help me up!”

“Get up on your own!” She didn’t even look back and walked on.

“Arrghhhhhh!” he cried out in pain. She immediately turned back and ran to him. “Are you ok?” He caught her in a hug and laughed. He got her again! But she was smiling and letting him hold her.

“Let’s go to bed, we need our sleep...”

Jihyo went back to Shanghai to attend to her busy schedule. Her brother sometimes leave her on set with her team so he can run off to settle Gary’s work for the Halyang store. Gary made him his contact person since he speaks good English and he wanted to expose him to his business deals. He is mentoring SeungMun and he is happy to learn from a person he looks up to.

“Hyung… I went to see the renovation. It’s almost done. I’ll send the video to you. Let me know if you want any changes to it. I am going back to the set right now, Noona’s finishing in an hour and has to attend script reading afterwards. She’ll finish late.” He updated Gary on the phone. He reported everything Gary wanted to know.

“Take good care of your noona… Make sure you’re there with her when she’s travelling. I can’t live without her, make sure she comes back to me.” He gets emotional when talking about her to her brother but he always laughs off his cheesiness in the end.

“Hyung… stop it already! I know that already. I really look up to you and want to be like you… but I just hope I don’t become as cheesy as you.” Gary laughed at that. “By the way.. we are going back tomorrow. We’ll be arriving at night. But sorry, I have to take her home to our family for the night. Mom has been nagging us. So you’ll meet her during filming. That’s OK right, boss?”

“Sure… gotta take care of my future in laws too. Tell her I am OK with it.” But normally Jihyo would ask if he wanted to go along. She didn’t ask him. Even when she called before bed, she didn’t ask him to go along when she told him of her plan.

Saturday night he posted a video of him and friends out drinking. He knew Jihyo is going to have access to Instagram now that she’s back in Korea. Jihyo got the notification that he posted online and she opened it right away. She was upset. He was supposed to rest the night before filming and he’s out drinking.

“Moonie ya… “ she showed her phone to him. “Let him be, noona. He’s probably missing you so bad that he had to go out.” He knows Gary doesn’t post things like that unless he wanted his sister to see it. As a man and a brother, he can understand his motive.

“If you want to go back tonight, we can drive back. Mom and Dad is going to bed soon and we’d have to leave very early tomorrow morning anyway. It’s not like we get to spend much time with them tomorrow.”

“OK, you talk to mom.”

“Why me?? You’re the one going back to your boyfriend!”

“You work for my boyfriend, remember?” She dared him to object to that. She knows her brother can’t say no to anything Gary.

“Fine!”

….

It was past 2am when her brother left her at the front door. She went in quietly and heard the shower running. It’s very rare for him to shower in the middle of the night. She went in and changed into her night clothes and sat on the bed waiting for him.

He walked out in his shorts and got a shock.

“God! You freaked me out! I thought you’re a ghost! Why didn’t you turn on the bright light??” He was calming his fast heartbeat while she laughed at him.

“Ya!” He was going to pounce on her.

“Wait! Be careful with your back!” She stopped him pressing into his shoulders. “You got to film tomorrow. Get in bed and lay still.” She sounded serious and he obeyed. He got under the blanket and lay back while she watched him, unsmiling. She got in next to him.

“You went out with your friends when I’ve told you to get home and rest. We got filming tomorrow. You’re supposed to sleep, get enough rest. You’re not supposed to drink..” She was lying flat on her back nagging at the ceiling. “You’re not supposed to bathe at night.. it’s cold and bad for your back..” Suddenly, Gary’s lips were shutting her up. She got lost in it. She forgot she was upset.

“Welcome home, honey” He smiled happily looking into her eyes.

“Oppaaa…” her voice turned so soft he smiled even wider. “Why do you do these? Can you please take better care of yourself? I am really worried for you.” That voice became deeper. He the side of her face lovingly, glancing into her eyes from above her.

“I went out because I was missing you. I needed the distraction. I didn’t drink. I bathed because John spilled his beer on me, I can’t sleep smelling like that…” he was explaining to her calmly and she found it cute and sweet of him. She pushed him to lie on his back and turned to lie on her side facing him. She leaned in and kissed him.

“Let’s just sleep… I am here now to take care of you. I arranged for the production team to reschedule my scene so I can spend a few more days with you. I hope that makes you happy”

“I would have been happy with just tonight. But you just made me very very happy” He reached out for her to sleep on his chest, her favorite pillow. But she didn’t move. “No, dear… I think my weight is going to put pressure on you. I’ll sleep beside you.” She moved close to his side and lay her left palm flat on his heart. She moved her to kiss him on his cheek. She positioned her face touching his.

"This is good too" he murmured.

"Good night, Boss"