The Secret Flight

One Shot: Loving Kang Gary

“Get up! I am picking you up in 30 minutes!” Her manager’s voice sounded upset. He had been calling her for the last 10 minutes. He was already in his car on the way to pick her up and the moment she answered, he knew she just woke up.

She sat on the bed, looking towards Gary on her side. Fast asleep, flat on his back. “Good morning..” she whispered and kissed his cheek. Her normal morning routine when he is around. She didn’t want to wake him up. She knows he needs his sleep.  She got out of bed and went to the bathroom for a quick shower and changed into her airport clothes.

Her manager was already calling when she was checking her handbag for her passport. “Coming down now” She hung up and turned back to look at Gary still deep in his sleep. She went to his side and pulled up the blanket to cover his bare chest. She reached out to touch the side of his face, leaning down for a peck on top of his head.

She knows he’ll be upset she didn’t wake him up. She also knows he’ll be upset if she wakes him up and don’t have time for him before she goes off. She would rather make it easy by not waking him up. She took his notebook by the bedside table and scribbled “See you when I get back. Love you.” She marked the page with the pen and placed it on her pillow beside him.

 

“Right on time!” He smiled because she would normally come down 10 minutes later if she wakes up late.

“He is going to be so mad seeing me missing when he wakes up” She said settling down in her seat next to him. “What?? You didn’t wake him up??” Her manager was surprised. She shook her head. “You are so dead!” He laughed at her. He knows Gary will be upset for a few days and Ji Hyo will be miserable trying to make up to him.

 “I know” she sighed. “Let’s just get this work done and I’ll deal with it later.”

Gary woke up 3 hours later to find his woman missing from his side. He took his notebook. She would normally write in his notebook when he is sleeping. She would normally write love notes for him to look at when he’s working during the day. He would look forward to those notes as they don’t come that often. Only when she wakes up earlier than he does or sometimes she would write in front of him if she is feeling extra special and wanted him to know it.

He opened the marked page. “Damn! I forgot she’s going today” And he is upset she didn’t wake him up to say goodbye. He looked at his phone. Knowing her flight time, he knows she is already on her way to Vietnam. He sighed, threw his phone to the side and lay back in bed. Calming himself down.

He took his notebook and flipped through it to see her past notes. He smiled and laughed softly remembering her writing it and how he felt reading it. “Why are you so sweet and cute??” he was talking out loud to the ceiling. “Do you know that you’re making me more obsessed with you??” he sighed again.

He put the book away. Moved himself to lie on her pillow,  breathing in her scent. He pulled the blanket up enveloping himself in her scent.

Jihyo was restless in the flight.  She can’t sleep. She was worried about Gary waking up. She was watching the movie on the screen in front of her but can’t seem to follow the story.  Her sister is already napping beside her. She looked out the window and only blue skies with stretch of white clouds. It’s beautiful but it reminds her of him more.  She shut the window screen and took out her phone, plugged in her earphone.

Smile spread out on her face. She was watching videos from yesterday. The videos he took of them hanging out doing dorky things together during the day. The last video was of him in bed. He was filming himself with her phone while she slept beside him. She didn’t notice it was in her phone.

“Hello, baby… you’re asleep right now so I have to talk softly” he chuckled “I feel like telling you how much I love you but you’re deep in your sleep…” and he continued talking about how he feels. He stopped talking when she turned to lie on his chest and hugged him in her sleep. His hand automatically hugging her close. She had never seen how she sleeps, or how he is with her while she sleeps. She loves how natural she hugged him in her sleep and how Gary responded to it.

“Ok… I have to stop this before I wake you up… “ he started singing random words that came to mind. “you’re my sunshine… sunshine…” and continued with humming a melody and the video ended after he kissed on top of her head. She felt a tug at the bottom of her heart. She had not reached her destination and she is already missing him. But unlike him, once she’s working she can shut out other things. Just not with him around.

The moment she walked out of the plane, people are already waiting to her out. Her work starts right away. It ended really late. She checked her phone from time to time the whole day but nothing came in from Gary. It was already late and he has yet to contact her.  She dialed his number.

“Hello, honey…” she started the moment it was answered. “Jihyo ssi…” It was another man’s voice. His manager. “He is in the studio working right now. Do you want me to call him?”

“No, it’s ok. How is he doing?”

“He was by himself in the studio and suddenly he called JungIn to come right away… By the look of it, I think he is in the middle of composing a song.”

“That’s good. Just let him do his work.  You don’t have to tell him I called. When he’s writing, better not distract him with me. I’ll call him tomorrow.”

“Yes, you’re right. Better let him do his thing first. He had been stuck on it for so long. By the way, are you ok there?” His manager is a dear friend to Gary.  He takes good care of him and always cares for her too. “I just finished work and on the way back to the hotel now.  I’ll be really busy tomorrow so if he complains, please calm him down. I’ll try calling again tomorrow night”

“No problem… I’ll watch him for you. Take care and get home safe. He needs you.” She smiled. Everybody around him says that to her a lot. She could feel their love for him.

….

“Jihyo ssi… He’s out drunk on the couch. I just reached your place.” It’s his manager again picking up the phone. “He was partying with his friends?”

“Yes. But I think he is missing you.  He had been calling me Jihyo on the way back.” Jihyo had to laugh. “I think so too… I have not been in touch with him since I got here. I’ll text him so he can read it when he wakes up tomorrow. Thank you for taking care of him, Min Jung ssi.”

She texted him right away. Sent a selfie of herself for him.

He woke up late with a hangover. Checked his phone and he was smiling at it looking at her photo.  He simply replied thank you. He just wanted to know he is still upset.

Jihyo looked at her phone and saw the reply. She got his message. She knew he was upset. She was already on her way to the airport. She dialed for him. “Hello, honey…” She was nervous when he answered. “I am on my way to the airport now… I’ll see you soon?”

“I am going to the studio in a while… I may be coming home late... you just stay home and rest ok. We have filming tomorrow.” He was upset. But when he heard her voice he could no longer be upset. He talked softly. “How was your trip?” he wanted to know.

“As usual… working all day.” She is already smiling knowing Gary is no longer upset with her. “I called you both nights.. The first night you were in the studio. The second night you were drunk. Best part is... you didn’t return my call when you saw me on your call log” He chuckled. He knew she called. He was ignoring it because he was sulking. “I am sorry” she apologized because she knew the reason he didn’t call.

“Yes… I am upset. But just get back safely and we’ll talk. I am upset but I miss you more than anything else right now.. So just come back and we’ll fight later.” She was touched.  But he is implying that she had to make it up to him when she gets back.

….

She waited for him to get home and fell asleep out of exhaustion from the trip. She woke up at 2 am and he is still not in bed beside her. She checked her phone. He called. And texted.

“Sorry… I am not coming home tonight. I am still working in the studio. You have an earlier call time tomorrow. I arranged for the staff to pick you up. I’ll see you at the set.”

She was too sleepy to be upset so she continued to sleep. Gary had just finished up for the night and was too tired, he slept on the couch.

Minjung shook his body to wake him up. “Wake up! You have one hour to go to the set. Go shower” He handed him a towel. “I’ll get your clothes ready and leave it on the couch… I’ll get your car ready” He was shouting for Gary to hear from inside the bathroom.

He was late. They were already seated in front of the camera ready to shoot. He apologized to everyone and went to the only available seat beside Jihyo. He touched her back to greet her. He can’t do much more than that in front of all the production crews. Jihyo forced a smile. He saw that. She was upset. He decided to wait until they finished filming the opening.

They were acting out the office drama. When it as her part, she was telling the manager she spent the weekend sleeping to get ready for work. Fitting for the ace. Then, Dong Wan decided to make it a little juicy by creating an office scandal “I heard you spent the night with Gary…”

“Nope… I spent the night with another girl. I meet her on Monday” True enough, he wasn’t lying. He was with Jung In making music last night. He only met her on set just before they started. It’s a Monday. Jihyo smirked at his words.

HaHa noticing something out of ordinary between the two fired it up “So you’re the carefree Hollywood couple now??” to which Jihyo didn’t bother but Gary signaled for him to shut up. HaHa instantly understood his bestfriend is in trouble.

When the filming ended, Jihyo quickly got out of the room. Gary went after her into the changing room designated for her. Her sister is already in the room ready with her change of clothes. “10 minutes!” one of the PDs shouted for them all to get ready as fast as possible.

“Baby, are you angry?” She glared at him. She was upset he didn’t come home last night but just when she had forgiven him, he came out with that “other woman” talk.

“Go find your other woman… You’ll need one for filming. I have to hurry and find my other man as well” Gary didn’t expect her to be so upset. It was meant as a joke. He came to her expecting sweet words.

“Fine! I miss you too, by the way” he shut the door a little too hard when he walked out.

She watched him and got more upset. She expected him to make up to her. She sat down and sighed.

“That was too harsh to be talking to him like that…” She realized her sister had been watching. “he came in here for you… why are you so sensitive this morning?” She sighed again.

“I waited for him but he didn’t come home last night. I haven’t seen him in days. He came this morning and said he spent the night with another woman…” Areum handed her the clothes to change into. “But you know very well he doesn’t do that… not anymore.”

“But he was saying it in front of everybody… that’s not a joke if somebody else thinks differently”

“Who are you worried about? All the people here won’t be thinking that… you’re worried about how your fans may think now??” It struck her. She was actually worried about how the public would perceive their relationship.

“Don’t worry… at the rate you’re revealing it, I am pretty sure your fans are quite convinced you’re real by now.  Just get changed quickly. Go to him before you go to your guest”

By the time she walked out of the building, Gary had driven off. She’ll have to meet him at the final location. She her work mode and drove to her mission place. Seeing the Indie group of musicians reminded her of Gary and his group of friends. They are so happy and supportive of each other. She can see Gary’s joy when he’s doing music in their faces. She felt at ease with them. She enjoyed their company.

At the final location she was positioned far away from Gary which enabled her to steal glances his way.  He noticed her glances. He decided to make her jealous by being extra sweet with the female model and the rest of the models.  He knows she doesn’t think herself beautiful although he tells her often.  She feels inferior when he’s surrounded by beautiful women. 

She was jealous. She decided to not look and just enjoy her newfound friends’ company. He was even flirting with the pretty judge sitting in front of her. Seeing her, he thought that he had done too much. She is definitely not happy.

He wanted so much to walk right up to her or just stand next to her. His only chance was when she won. He took the prize and handed it to her himself instead of passing it to Jaesuk whom looked on in confusion.  He figured Gary needed that moment and let it go. But Jihyo wasn’t looking at him. She was avoiding his eyes.

“Cut!” the PD shouted and he went to her briefly. “Say your goodbyes to them and wait for me please… I’ll send them out and come back for you, baby” he whispered sweetly. She wasn’t smiling but nodded.

He went to the models and posed for a few pictures before sending them off.  On his way back, he saw Jihyo still taking pictures with her team.  Jihyo felt him looking and turned to see him. He was telling her he was going in to change using his hands. She got the message and quickly turned to the guest before they get suspicious.

She went into her changing room.  Gary was the only one in there. He stood up when he heard the door knob turning. When she walked in, he went straight at her and pulled her in a tight hug. She was hugging him back. “I miss you so much, I would have cried if you weren’t here waiting for me”.

“Let’s just stand like this for a while. I miss holding you close like this” After a while he felt his chest getting wet. He leaned back and saw her in tears. His right hand held up her chin so she look at him in the eyes.  He was smiling lovingly at her. “I’m sorry I didn’t go home last night. I wanted you to get a good rest. If I had gone home last night, you wouldn’t get any rest.” She was laughing when he kissed her. She ended the kiss before it gets too far. But Gary was already kissing down her neck.

“Oppa.. stop it. They’re closing this place, we have to get out soon.” She pulled his face up. He rested his forehead against hers, closing his eyes trying to calm himself. She freed herself from his embrace and went to her bag for her change of clothes. He saw her oversized white shirt and pictured her in it.

He snatched it out of her hand. “Don’t change… just wear that t-shirt…” She saw it in his eyes.  “That bad?” He nodded desperately and she laughed out loud.

“Let’s get out of here now before it’s too late” she pulled him out of the room. Areum was outside waiting to pack up after her. “Aren’t you changing?”

“No, I’ll just wear this. You didn’t pack my inner wear… the shirt is too sheer.”

“Oh My God!” Gary was trying hard to distract his mind, both hands pulling his hair. “Why do you have to mention that??” He was reciting the multiplication table while the two sisters laughed watching him.

HaHa hit him on the back. “What the hell are you doing??” He knew what he was doing. He taught him that. He laughed too. He grabbed him by his shoulder. “My guests are having dinner at my restaurant. You’ll be coming, Jihyo. One requested dinner with you”.  That was the right distraction. He was in protective mode. “Why does she have to go? They’re your guests!”

“Let’s go.” She held on to Gary’s hand. “Besides, we haven’t eaten out in a while.” She rarely has a chance to eat out with him.  It is not hard to get privacy in restaurants.  Getting to the restaurant in private is the hardest part. “I’ve arranged a van. Get someone to drive your car home, you wouldn’t want people noticing you.” Jihyo took his car key and handed it to Areum to take care of it.

The ride to the restaurant was lively with the two basketball players and a wife. He had calmed down. Jihyo was talking to Sukjin while he looked out the window. He loves looking at the surrounding. He captures the scenes in his mind so he can refer to it when he writes his lyrics.

“We’re here. Cover your face when you walk out of the van.” HaHa reminding his fellow members in the back row. Getting up he kissed her on the cheek. “I love you” He felt like saying it to her. She smiled and locked her fingers between his, pulling him after her. They entered through the back and went into the private dining room.

They sat themselves at the far end of the table.  They’re favorite spot. Facing each other. His legs under the table, leaning against hers and hand holding hers on the table. “This is a group dinner and you treat it like your romantic dinner… I am here beside you, if you haven’t noticed… I exist right here” Sukjin is feeling left out. Gar reached out his right hand and hold on to Sukjin’s hand. “Is this better hyung?” He said romantically and laughed.

Before the basketball player beside Jihyo could say anything Gary was already looking at him, faking a glare unconvincingly. “Don’t even think about it, she will not hold your hand” He kidded. “Hold Jong Kook Hyung” Jongkook turned at the mention of his name.  “What??”

“He wants to hold hands while eating… Please hold his hand hyung” Gary adorably pleaded to Jong Kook. “Aissshhh… “Jongkook took his hand and got in the act. “Is this better, honey?” Gary laughed hardest at his joke.

….

He got out of the shower. “I am taking your towel… I’ll get you a fresh one” He dried himself and got into his shorts and white tee. He placed a fresh towel in the bathroom for her before going out the balcony for a smoke.

She sat in the chair beside him. “Oppa, I am hungry… Cook something for me..” He took a last puff and took the ashtray with him. “Sure… what do you want?” She followed him to the kitchen. Hugging him from the back.

“Jihyo ya… How am I going to cook with you hugging me like this?” He released her hands from his waist and pulled her to his front. He lifted her up and sat her on the kitchen island. He leaned in close and she circled her arm around his neck. “So what do you want?”

“Pancakes!” She is being her cute self with him this morning. “Just pancakes?” she nodded.

“Before I start cooking… Let’s talk first…”

“But I am hungry…”

“I want to talk…” She nodded her head knowing well what he wanted to talk about.

“Why didn’t you wake me up before you go?” He asked nicely. Her fingers the side of his face thinking of an answer. “Well… I should blame you for keeping me up that night.  I woke up late” He smiled admitting the fact. “… I was late, If I had woken you up, I’d be even more late because I know I would have to talk you into letting me go…” He nodded agreeing to her again.

“I was really upset when I read your note. Then I calmed myself by reading all your past notes… Then I was missing you…” He kissed the tip of her nose.

“I was worried about you.. I could not sleep on the plane..” She moved her finger down his nose bridge towards his lips. “I watched the videos we recorded. Then, I saw the video you recorded while I slept. It was so sweet I missed you before even reaching there!” She bit on his nose.

“Ya! That hurts!” She was caressing his nose to ease the pain. “Sorry… you’re too cute I can’t help it.”

“One more thing… Why are you so upset when we started filming?”

“Because you said you were with another woman… That’s taking it too far… You weren’t home the night before and you said that. I trust you but I can’t help being sensitive about it.” He gave her a brief hug. “I meant to joke for the show.  And since people are already talking about us being real… I think I should just say something to confuse them. Besides… I was with another girl recording a song… for you.”

“I should go away more often so you can write more songs… You’ve been stuck on it for so long and the moment I go, you got it right away.”

“Noooo! I’d rather write less.” He buried his face in the nape of her neck.

“Let’s get away somewhere.. We’ll both be busy next week onwards…” He leaned back to look at her.  Not believing what he was hearing. “Seriously… Let’s just go somewhere. Remember when we were spontaneous and you took me to some unknown park for a date?” He nodded. “Actually, the song I wrote was about that…”

She was surprised they had the same things on their minds. “Seriously?? Daebak! I love that date. Can we please do it again?” She was begging him with her pretty face.

“Sure.. Anything you want.” She rewarded him with a long kiss.

“I have a friend… he pilots a small plane. He offered to fly me to his vacation home but I’ve been saying no because I was afraid of riding the plane…”

“Can we please go? Please…” She said excitedly. “I promise I’ll hold your hand tight when we fly. It’ll be so nice.”

She spread kissed all over his face in an attempt to make him agree to it.

“OK OK…” He picked up his phone and dialed. “Hyung… Are you free to fly me? My woman wants to go on a date…” He planned it right away while Jihyo listened on excitedly.

“OK, baby… We’ll go in two days.. We’ll spend a night there. Is that ok?”

“YES!!!!” She lift both her hands up in the air. She was too happy. “You’re the best!” She pulled him in for a kiss.

He looked her in the eyes and found his happiness. “You have no idea how crazy I am about you…” He was caressing her face. She saw so much love in those eyes. “The girls at the agency yesterday were really beautiful…” She knows he is going to say something special when he says things like that. “… even the judge is beautiful” she nodded agreeing to his words.

“But to me… no one compares to you. It’s been years and I fall deeper every time.  You’re insanely beautiful, I am obsessed with you.”

“You’re insanely charming and y and kind and romantic, I am crazy for you” She convinced him with her best kiss.

“Can you make pancakes now?” He laughed moving away from her to start making breakfast.

She watched him move around in the kitchen and fell deeper for him.  

“Oppa~~ You know you have a great right?” She knowing he’ll blush every time she mentions it. She fell even deeper.