The Kiss That Wasn't His

One Shot: Loving Kang Gary

Gary parked his car near her block and called her.

“Baby, I am here.  Come quick before somebody sees me here”

“Oppa, give me 5 minutes... Can you please wait? Can you please miss me for 5 more minutes?” She talks so sweetly, he can’t help but smile. Laughing softly into the phone he said “I can only hold on 5 minutes.. any more than that, I’ll die from missing you”

“OK I’ll hurry now… If you die, I’ll have to hire a driver… driver is so hard to find these days” She pretended to sigh and he burst out laughing.

….

In 3 minutes she was already downstairs,  Gary saw her walking towards his car.  She was wearing a faded skinny jeans and an oversized white T-shirt. She had her cap, sunglasses and face mask on to avoid people recognizing her.  Even the guards don’t know she lives here.  It’s a posh apartment set in a posh neighbourhood where privacy is very important.  Many celebrities live in the area unnoticed. Gary smiled at the sight of the familiar figure.  He drove closer so she doesn’t have to walk so far. He stopped the car right beside her.  She was on the phone.

Switching her phone from her right hand to the left hand, she continued talking while getting in the car.  Gary watched her.  She looked at him, smiled, and was back into the conversation with her manager. Gary started driving while she talked about work. He looked straight ahead, focused on the road. Suddenly Jihyo’s left hand reached out to touch his right hand on the middle console. She turned his palm upwards and caressed it with her hands a brief moment before intertwining her fingers with his.  He turned to look at her, she smiled and his hand with her thumb. He smiled and turned his sight back on the road while tightening the hold on her hand, he brought their hands close to his lips to give a kiss on her hand and resume their original position on the middle console between their seats. Jihyo continued to talk for another 5 minutes and put away her phone after putting a reminder on her calendar about what she just discussed with her manager.

She slightly turned to the left so she face Gary. Leaned her head sideways on the head rest.  Gary always made sure the seat is adjusted to her preference every time he picks her up. She knew because he did this time because Kwangsoo went with him to the gym earlier this morning. He always adjusts the seat backwards because of his height. Gary will always make an effort to adjust it before she goes into his car. 

“Aren’t you tired, love?” She asked softly.  Her right hand now replacing her left hand, holding on to his free hand. He glanced at her for a brief moment because the car is moving fast. He squeezed her hand in his. “A little,” that deep soft voice vibrates inside her heart. “but since you sat beside me here, I am recharged! You know you’re my power charger! But you look tired… if you’re tired, we can cancel and go some place nearer.”

Jihyo reached out her left hand to his cheek, caressing his smooth cheeks with the back of her fingers. He stopped as the traffic light turns red. He turned to look at her still leaning on her side, looking tired but still smiling at him. “It’s OK Oppa, I’ve cleared my schedule for the next 3 days, I can rest when we reach there.. I have you to recharge me now, I’ll be better in a bit”.

He looked at the traffic light counter in front of him 20 seconds to go. “Let me charge you..” He bends his head towards her and kissed her softly.  She kissed him back.  Suddenly the car behind honked. It’s green.  He quickly moved forward with the car.  “That was too quick to be considered a recharge, I’m still tired, oppa” He felt like parking the car on the road side and giving her a long kiss but it’s a busy road. Someone will definitely come knocking on the window.

“Sorry, baby.  Why don’t you nap while I drive.” He stopped at the side of the road, turning on the car signal. He reached to Jihyo’s other side to recline the seat for her, leaning over her, he was close.  When he was leaning back to his seat, she stopped him half way to plant a kiss on his lips. “Thank you, love” He answered with a kiss on the lips and one on the forehead before getting back on the road. He glanced at her whenever he can to see her sleeping, worried that his driving might have made her moved and uncomfortable for her. Her grip on his hand is loose indicating she is asleep. He put her hand on her lap to make her comfortable.

At the end of the 3 hours drive, they reached the villa on top of the hill.  Several private villas were spread on the 3-kilometer stretch.  This is his private villa.  He bought this when they started dating again after the 7-month breakup.  He learned a lot when they broke up.  He took control of his life, change his priorities, became a better man.  He won her back with his love and his changes. She loved him before and never stopped.  She broke up with him because they are hurting each other too much. They were both hard headed. They didn’t communicate well, they didn’t have time as they got busy with work. He was so in love with her, she became his obsession and he wanted to give up his hard work just so he can live normally with her.  She wished she could do that as well.  She had more sense when he’s running low on it. She had to make the call.  She broke up with him. 

Her friend wrote the script to her recent drama based on their story.  How they were so in love, they lost sense of reality. When they realized, it was too late to fix, they had to split. Work, however, kept them near although not close.  That distance provided the chance for them to learn of each other. Gary never gave up on her. He was very upset initially, then he realized they were both wrong. He worked so hard to prove himself to her. He did. She too, learned a lot about him.  She appreciates him more.  She now see all the little things he does.  He had always been thoughtful when it comes to her. She was too absorbed in her work, she was lacking as his girlfriend.

Gary unfasten his seatbelt, leaned over to slowly unfasten her seat belt.  He brushed her hair to the side to better reveal her forehead and planted a soft kiss there while talking softly to wake her up.

“Baby, we’re here. Wake up, love” he kissed her eyebrow, kissed her nose, she’s starting to wake up.  He kissed her lips and her eyes open.  She lifted her head to kiss him back and smiled while he moved backwards. He got out of the car, went over to her side to help her down from the Range Rover. Once on her feet, jihyo hugged him tightly “I missed you, oppa.  I missed this place”.  He hugged her and led her to the villa.

Gary had called the housekeeper to stock food and drinks in the house the day before.  Plenty of food to last a week in the house. They cooked together, had s simple lunch and decided to just hang in the house since it’s getting dark.  The only have 3 days.  They’d have to go back and film Running Man by Sunday.  Sunday is to prepare for the next day’s shoot.

“Oppa… this is probably the best investment you made.”

“Why? Investment wise, the building in Gangnam is the best.”

“This house is the reason I love you more each day”  Gary was staring at her. “If it wasn’t for this house, you wouldn’t love me as much??” She cuddled closer to him on the bed, laid her head on his heart. “I don’t think I would even know I could love you more… This house is like our secret hideaway.  Where we communicate best. Where we settled a lot of our issues” She lifted her head to look him in the eyes.  He was quite timid today… but very romantic and sweet. She kissed him and put herself to lie on top of him.  “I wish we can just be free and live our lives normally. I want to go to the movies with you, I want to bring you to the parties, I want you to come watch me on stage.  I want you to be a part of my success.  I want people to know the girl behind the songs. I am a man that shares with the world.  This is so hard Jihyo… I am tired of pretending I don’t care for you.  I have to rely on kwangsoo to protect you in public when I wanted so much to hold you close.  I am not being your man. It’s hard to watch other men take care of you instead. Because I know I can do that.  I had to steal a peck on the cheek and you worry so much about the contract. Do you know how hard it is for me?? I want the world to know I am yours. I want the girls to stop flirting with me. I had to be a jerk to those girls” He sighed.  Jihyo caressed his eyebrows with her thumbs, her hands holding his face. “I know you can do all that for me. I am sorry.. you’ve been faking it on camera for so long it must be hard on you.  A few weeks more then, I am off the contract. We’ll discuss about my new contract tomorrow. Right now, let’ just enjoy this moment”. He flipped her over and started raining kisses on her.  It was a blissfull night.

Jihyo woke up at 2am to find Gary missing from her side. She went out searching for him. He was sitting at his creative spot, writing. “Oppa, why are you here at this time, can’t it wait?” She placed herself on his lap, her arms around his neck. “I had this inspiration from watching you sleep.  I didn’t want to turn on the light and disturb your sleep so I came out here” he said caressing her back and kissing her. “Can I read?”  He handed the paper to her. “You are a hopeless romantic Kang Gary! Do you really smell my scent on the blanket?” he nodded. “Let’s go to bed... I need to cuddle”

The days went on so fast when they were doing nothing but lazing around the house.  They can just sit silently without talking for hours.  Gary would often read while she watches TV.  They would sit on opposite ends of the long sofa, their toes would just touch at the end, doing their own thing.  When Jihyo falls asleep, Gary will put his book aside and lie down next to her so she can sleep on his chest.  She told him she prefer sleeping on his chest compared to the pillows. 

They had discussed her contract.  He said he doesn’t mind however it goes because he trust she will know by now what she should and should not do.  They have ruled out the rules when they got back together last year.  Days for them are normally not as peaceful as this.  She spends most nights at his place, only some nights when she has work or when they argue and no one would give in, she would go back to her place.

 

Tuesday.

PDs briefed them of what to do.  This time they are providing script for the opening. The moment the PD said it would be a couple race, Gary was nervous.  He gets nervous because Jihyo will be jealous if he gets too friendly with the girl he is paired with.  And he will be jealous too but he tries to control it. 

He was sitting next to Jihyo. She heard him sigh and looked his way. She knows how he feels. She can’t help it, she gets jealous. She might not show it on the show but she’d be upset with him when they finish filming. They had agreed that it is ok to get jealous but to not drag it too far. It is good for them. They are sometimes playful, making each other jealous while filming just to have a couple fight to make things interesting in the relationship.  Jihyo likes it when he talks so sweetly to make up.  Gary loves it when Jihyo becomes nervous when he is upset, she’d be so worried that right after filming she’d stutter her words because she can’t find the right words to explain herself. He thinks she is cute like that.  It shows she cares a lot to be in that state.  He is very fragile despite the tough exterior.  She knows it because she had seen him cry. It was heartbreaking to see that strong guy crying. He went through a lot in his past. He was shattered and picked up the pieces.  Cracks remain. She has to handle him with care.  She doesn’t want to see him breakdown again. They were back together after agreeing to take it slow. For 3 months, they dated and talk without committing to the relationship.  But one day, he can’t hold it in anymore.  They were at his place, hanging out in the living room.  She was busy texting on the phone and he suddenly broke out into this long confession. He was insecure, he was afraid of losing her.  That sight was so sincere and she felt like a hand was squeezing her heart so hard it hurts. That was nearly one year ago, the day she committed to being his girlfriend. Then, he cried happy tears.

They kept their distance during filming.  PD told them to avoid having MC moments because it will take away the attention from the other couples including theirs.  Gary was fine with it.  He was paired up with a beautiful y girl but he didn’t want to do much, he just went along so that they are consistent with the other couples.  Jihyo was carrying on just fine.  Until the PD decided a twist. They set her up for a pickled radish kissing game. Gary was already upset at the mention of a possible kiss. Jihyo saw that.  She also noticed he didn’t stand up to see her. She knows him well enough to know he can’t watch it.  Even in her new drama, he had to watch the kissing scenes with her by his side. And everytime she kissed Jinhyuk she’d feel him tensed up. She finds it cute that he can’t control his reactions. 

They started eating from both ends of the 1-foot jelly.  People were cheering.  When she gets near to her partner, she tried to slow it down so they don’t kiss. To her shock, her partner went in fast and their lips touched.  Everybody was shocked. She glanced at Gary who had no idea what happened. HaHa went to him to tell him what happened.  He was teary.  He had never been that sad on set. She glanced at him to make sure he’s ok.  He was not OK and she panicked. The camera is still rolling, she can’t do anything but carry on the show.  If she goes to Gary now, he is going to break.  She decided it best to ignore him until after filming ends.  HaHa is already there to comfort him.

….

He didn’t wait for her after filming, he told kwangsoo to take her to her house, not his. he said goodbye to MinAh  and went off.  Most didn’t even notice he was gone.  Jihyo went looking for him but could not see him.

“MinAh… Where’s Gary oppa?” She looked worried. “Oh! He just went back. He said he had urgent matter”. MinAh noticed what happened to Gary. With Jihyo’s reaction, she knows what’s going on between them. 

…..

Jihyo called Gary but he didn’t answer.

Jihyo: Oppa, I am sorry…

He read but didn’t answer.

Jihyo:  Oppa… please.. I tried to stop.. he went in so fast. Please talk to me.  I know you’re angry.

Still no answer.

Jihyo: I love you, please come back to me :(

Ignored.

…..

That night everybody was at HaHa’s launch party. Gary was nowhere to be seen.  HaHa was busy as host she didn’t want to bother him.  She went to Jongkook and Kwangsoo to ask if they know where Gary is.  Kwangsoo told her Gary had to go settle a few things with Gil so he will be very late if he  ever makes it. They saw that face turned even more worried.

“Jihyo ya.. You know Gary.  Let him cool off.  Today was hard for him.  You have to understand why he is like that. You never let him do all those things to you on camera but suddenly this came up.  I hate to tell you this but if I am in his place, I would have punched that guy”

“Yes, oppa.. that guy… seriously!” she was angry with her partner but she had to keep her cool during filming. PD was giving her signs to carry on during the filming. “Can’t blame him… he wanted the publicity and our PDs were doing him a favour. The PD played the recording for me after filming ended.  That look on his face breaks my heart.  I have only see that look a few times and trust me, all those times were so painful” Kwangsoo and Jongkook gave her a hug.  Told her to just hang around here and wait for him to turn up.

 

He turned up.. late. She was still there.  She asked HaHa to bring him into his office in the back when he comes.  She waited in the office, behind the door.  She heard someone coming. Heard his voice.

“She’s gone home, hyung.. don’t worry.  This businessman has been waiting for you… he wants a franchise of the restaurant.  Can you talk to him? I have guests to entertain”

“You are always making use of me! Ok ok, I’ll see what I can do.” HaHa waited for him to go inside. The moment the door closed, he locked it from outside. He heard the click sound from the door and turned. Jihyo!

He sighed. He turned around and sit on the sofa. Head bend down looking at the floor.  He can’t look at her face because he’ll be weak and will give in to her.  He wants her to know he is upset.

Jihyo slowly walked up to him, sat on the wooden coffee table in front of him.  She calmed herself, reached out for his face with both hands and lift it up.  His eyes were teary. He turned to the side and she turned him back to face her. She wanted him to look at her. He looked at her. He stared at her. A tear strolled down her left cheek.  No words were spoken. Her hands were caressing his cheeks, her lips landed on his forehead in a light kiss.  She leaned back a little to meet his eyes. “I am sorry I hurt you… I asked the PD to show me your reaction when it happened.. I hate myself for making you that sad. I am sorry..” He is looking at the eyes that are filled with tears. Tears hardly fall from  those eyes, he felt something tugging at his heart. He lifted his hands to wipe the tears.

“damn it!” he was cursing himself. “Please don’t cry..” she was crying even more at that.  He pulls her up as he stands up. Pulling her into his embrace.  Tears soaking his upper left chest. She was sobbing. He leaned back, his right hand cupping her face. He leaned in again to kiss her tears on both cheeks. Looked her in the eyes “You’re crying like a baby! Hahaha” he tried to cheer her up. She was relieved that he can laugh now. She smiled. “I held it in the whole day.. do you know how hard it is to smile?” she spoke softly. “I know” he said in that deep voice, suggesting that he went through the same thing. “I am sorry too… But you know how I can’t control my feelings… I was so upset that you let it happen with some random guy.. You would never do it with me.. it’s frustrating…”

“Oppa… look at me” she straighten his face when he was avoiding her  eyes. “I can do it to random guys easily… there is no feelings involved.  If it’s with you.. It would be so obvious because I will not be able to hide.  I am not such a good actress, I don’t think I can cover it up if it’s with you.”  He smiled his biggest smile at that but continued whining “I want a kiss on Running Man too.. it’s not fair.. he gets to kiss my girl.. and he’s handsome.. talented..” Jihyo kissed him to shut him up. “But I kiss you all the time, handsome!” he blushed and grinned so foolishly. “See that reaction on your face! If I did that on camera, the whole world would know instantly!” He laughed when she complained. Suddenly there’s a click on the door and HaHa came in.

“I came to check on you and heard you laugh, hyung.” He saw the picture in front of him. Both embracing. “I guess you’re fine now. You want to join the party or want to stay and make out in my office?” HaHa laughed at his own joke.

“We’ll go out.. are there many people?”

“Nope.. just the Running Man team.  I moved the party to the VIP room. You can make out there too if you want hahaha”

Gary held her right hand and walked out of the room.  Both entered the VIP room happily greeted with loud cheers and clapping by the group.  They were embarrassed that they all knew what happened. PD came up to him to apologize for that scene, telling him they purposely did that to make it interesting.  He pulled Jihyo tighter into his arm. “It’s OK. I overreacted too.. I am sorry”

…..

He woke up to see Jihyo holding the trophy while she pressed the button to open the blinds to let the sun in. She heard him moving on the bed and turned to look at him rubbing his eyes because of the bright light. “Sorry oppa but the sky is so nice outside.” She walked to the bed and stood by his side to hand him the trophy. He was confused but got out of bed anyway. He took it from her and looked at her for explanation. “You gave me the best kisses. No one can compare to you. I am giving you the award for best kiss!” He laughed out loud.  This woman has a way with him. She does random stuffs like this that makes her so cute.

He pulled Jihyo close “Let’s practice, we are going to win that again next year. I promised the fans” She was laughing and kissing him at the same time.

…..

They’re done with filming.  Gary wanted to take her to the villa tonight but she had already told him in advance she had to settle some work with her manager. She went off right after filming.  He went home alone to pack the things he needs for the villa.  It’s their anniversary tomorrow. Jihyo already know he will be releasing a song he wrote at the villa. He is a hopeless romantic.  He wants the world to know he is in love.  Sometimes she find it hard to control him. She love what he does but she has a contract that is binding her.  She had to have things under control. It should be better in a few weeks when she renew the contract. She hopes the management will agree to her terms.

She didn’t have work that night.  She needed to go and collect a gift for him. She had it custom made from his favourite jacket designer.  She designed a jacket with an inside pocket on the left side. A platinum ring  attached to a strap inside. Her initials engraved inside the ring. When buying gifts, she can’t compete with him.  He gives her things nobody else does.  He writes songs for her. He plans parties for her even if he can’t attend.  He takes her home to her grandma when she said she missed her. He even buys her manager and staffs gifts on their birthdays.

…..

She reached home near midnight.. She had to wait for the tailor to do alteration to the jacket the way she wanted it.  Gary was already sleeping on the couch, the TV . She puts the bag on the coffee table and sat next to him. Leaned down and whispered softly to wake him up. She loves seeing him sleep.  He sleeps so peacefully.  He was not wearing his tshirt. He moved the cushion he was hugging and she saw something different on his left chest. “A new tattoo!” He heard her and woke up. “Yaaaa, you got another tattoo?? And right on your heart here?” She was upset.  He loves tattoos but she had told him to leave some skin so she knows where to look to see the real him.  He promised to tell her before getting any new ones.

“You’re back!” He looked at where Jihyo was looking on his chest. “Oh.. I meant it as surprise.” He pulled her hand, he sits up next to her. He explained the tattoo to her. He tattooed a symbol that symbolizes her on his heart. “This is so you know, you are permanently here.  Are you still upset? I promise I’ll let you know the next time I plan to get a new one”

She touched the new tattoo and smile to answer his question. She took the bag and gave him her gift “Happy anniversary, love”

“So this is why you were gone just now!” He opened and saw the jacket. He loves it. She knows what he likes. He puts it on. She showed him the inside pocket. “This ring has my name on it. I put it inside because I want you to wear it close to your heart.  If I knew you had a tattoo, I wouldn’t have done this!” she complained. He laughed. “Can I please where the ring on my finger when I am not wearing the jacket?” He was acting cute and cheeky, giving her a back hug. “My gift is at the villa. I thot we were going tonight so I sent it there last week.  I’ll give it to you tomorrow”

….

"It’s nearly noon, let’s go in. I need to see the online sales". He pulled her towards the villa. On the coffee table is a handbag wrapped up nicely.  “wahhhhhhh!!! I wanted this bag but it was limited edition and they didn’t have anymore. How did you get it?? Daebak!” She was jumping up and down when she hugged him. She told him about the bag she wanted after she came home from shopping with her friends 3 months ago.  He remembered!

“I asked a friend in the US to get it for me. This is Kang Gary… I will give you anything you want” He said proudly. He looked at the clock.. 12.05pm. “Ya! It’s already 5 minutes. He his laptop. Searched for the online chart. Opened all his social network accounts to see the comments.

“Oppa, isn’t that song for me? Why haven’t I heard that song??” She pretended to be upset. He picked up the remote, pressed play. She sit and focused on the song.. Every single words of the lyrics.  Smiling the whole time. She took the remote and pressed repeat track. When the song ended she moved closer to Gary for a hug. He was going through his twitter and instagram. Smiling at the comments. Suddenly he shouted “yes!”

“You got number one??” Jihyo was already excited.

“NO.. not yet. This is even better. The fans know it is about you!” He smiled proudly. “Is that so important to you?” She felt bad that she could not give him that. He had to tell the world this way. He nodded happily. “I am sorry I can’t give you that oppa.. I wish I can tell the world too.  I can only hint.”

“It’s OK… this is good too. Telling with my songs like this is not against your contract.  They know. They’re happy for us. One day, I will go around the world and show you to them. Show the woman that had made me the better man.”

She felt warmth spreading through her entire body from her heart. “So this is what I feels like” she whispered to herself so softly, he can’t hear her with the song playing loud.  She made a promise to herself she would make this man happy.  He had been hurt and scarred. She loves him more everyday. 

She lifted her head near his ear and whispered “Oppa, can you promise me one thing?” he nodded, waiting for her next sentence. “If one day I give up on you, can you please fight for me and make me fall in love again? Because I don’t think I can live without you”.  He turned to face her. “I promise. I did it once, I will do it again if I have to”

Instead of saying thank you, she said “I love you too much” He let her have the last word. He doesn’t have to say it. He showed it.