Fate strikes

My Brother is in a Band

 

 

The next morning I have to go to school. I feel lazy but I can’t stay in bed and skip. So I get out of bed and drag my sleepy body to the bathroom. I look at myself in the mirror and admire my new haircut. Ji Hyun really did a great job. She dyed my hair blonde, made it curl slightly and gave me bangs. I like it a lot. And now my hair color won’t be the reason I meet my so called fate. Not that I believe that fortune tellers words anyway.

After I’m done getting ready for school I leave my apartment and walk down to my car. While driving to school everything red catches my attention. Red buildings, people wearing red clothes and even the red stoplight. If I’m going to be like this the entire day I will definitely go crazy.

Finally I reach the school and hurry into class. I sit down next to Sehun and he looks at me with a raised eyebrow.

“You have crazy eyes,” he says and I run a hand through my hair. “I feel crazy too,” I say and he tilts his head. “Why? What happened?”

“We visited a fortune teller yesterday and Heejin was told she will meet her ‘fate’ today,” Ji Hyun says as she sits down by the table in front of us. “Fortune teller?” Sehun says and frowns, “but you don’t believe in that kind of stuff.”

“Exactly so why am I acting like this?” I ask but I’m not sure who I’m asking. “Just forget about it. It’s just bull with no trustworthy proof,” Ji Min says and sits down next to her sister. “But you can’t prove that it’s not true either,” Ji Hyun protests and the twins start a discussion. “What did the fortune teller say that freaked you out?” Sehun asks and ignores the twins. “Just something about the color red and wings,” I say and start massaging my temples, “it’s probably nothing and I’m freaking out for no reason.”

“Then just stop thinking about it,” Sehun says and I scoff. “Easier said than done.”

Just then the bell rings and our teacher steps into the classroom. The twins stop discussing and everyone turns to the blackboard. I guess I just have to focus on other things to forget about a person I will probably never even meet.

After school’s over I decide to go into town. I’ll show myself that this whole fate thing isn’t real. When I reach town I park my car and walk up the street. I pass by a large assembly of people. I can hear someone play guitar and I guess people gathered to listen. I can’t see the person because of all the people but he is playing really well. And trust me, I know what I’m talking about. I don’t only play the violin and the piano. I can also play electric guitar. My brother Ilhoon started playing bass when he was 13 and to support him I started learning to play electric guitar. Just because Ilhoon left I didn’t stop practicing. Another thing my parents didn’t approve of but I still did it because of Ilhoon. He always made me do things I thought I wouldn’t do. That’s a part of why I miss him so much.

I pass by the assembly and walk a little further until I reach a building. It’s empty and closed off. And it’s mine. My father gave it to me and asked me to start up any kind of business. He said it would be good for me to start my own business and earn my own money. He also pays the rent and he probably still expects me to do something with this empty building. I take out the keys and unlock the front door. I step inside and leave the door open. There is nothing in the room except for a counter. I sigh and think about what I can do with the place. As I’m thinking I suddenly hear running footsteps outside the building. Then a guy stops out front and runs in.

“What are you doing?” I ask and he just asks me to keep quiet before he hides behind the counter. I’m about to ask him to leave when I see police officers stop in front of the building. They look around for a bit and then move on. I wait thirty seconds and then walk over to the counter.

“They’re gone,” I say and he lets out a sigh of relief. “That was close. They almost got me this time,” he says and gets up. “This time? So it’s not the first?” I ask and he grins. “Not exactly.”

I look a little closer at him. Even though it’s kind of warm outside he is wearing a hoodie with the hood up so I can’t see his face clearly. He is wearing tight black jeans and converse. He looks quite normal but still seems a little weird. I can see that he is caring a guitar case on his back and I remember hearing someone play guitar earlier.

“The police don’t like you playing on the street without permission?” I ask and he shrugs. “I thought this was a free country,” he says and rolls his eyes, “and who doesn’t like music?”

“I hear ya,” I say and he looks at me for real for the first time. “So what are you doing here anyway?” he asks and refers to the empty building. “Well since I own this place I have come to figure out what to do with it,” I say and he raises an eyebrow. “So you’re a rich girl?” he asks and I snort. “It’s not something I’m proud of but yes I am.”

He grimaces and says: “I normally don’t get along with rich people.”

“We seem to get along fine,” I say and he thinks about it. “That’s true,” he mumbles and then smiles, “my name is Lee Minhyuk by the way. Sorry about the late introduction.”

“I’m Jung Heejin,” I say and return the smile. “Well Heejin it was nice meeting you but I have to go now. My band is probably waiting for me,” he says and my eyes widen a little. “You have a band?” I ask and can’t hide my fascination. “Yeah I do,” he says and looks very proud because of that fact, “you should come hear us. We’re playing tonight at a nightclub called R&R.”

I smile wryly and say: “I’ll think about it.”

“I promise our music will be worth it. Drinks on me if you come,” he says and I chuckle. “You know just how to tempt people,” I say and he grins. “But I really have to go now,” he says and walks towards the exit, “make sure to come tonight!”

He waves and as he steps outside he pushes the hood back and flaming red hair appears. The color red.

 

On my way home I can’t stop thinking about that red hair. It can’t possibly be what the fortune teller talked about. It just can’t. But I'm conflicted. I really don't want to see that guy again, because I'm afraid that it will turn out to be true. But on the other hand, I do want to see him again and try to confirm that he isn't my so called fate.

I walk into the apartment complex and take the elevator to the 31st floor. As I step out I see a person sitting in front of an apartment. It looks like the person is sitting by my front door but I can’t come up with someone who would visit me now. I walk over and as I get closer it turns out the person is sitting in front of my apartment. It looks like a guy but I can’t see his face. I stop up next to the person and clear my throat to get his attention. He raises his head and looks at me. I drop what I have in my hands and stare back at him.

“Have you gotten clumsy since the last time we saw each other?” he asks and picks up the things I dropped. “Hoon-ah…” I whisper and don’t believe my own eyes. Ilhoon stands up and smiles cockily.

“Long time, no see, my dear sister.”

I can’t stop staring at him. Can it really be Ilhoon? Is it really my brother? I reach out and touch his face. He is real.

“How?” I ask in a subdued voice. “You mean how I found you? I assumed you were still attending the same high school as when I left so I went there and asked for your address. And I was relieved to discover you’re not living at home anymore. Because that could have been awkward,” he explains and I lower my hand. “Then what are you doing here?”

“I have come to ask the only person I can trust for help,” he says and points at my door, “but do you mind talking about it inside?”

“No problem,” I say and I enter the password. The lock makes a sound that means the code is accepted and the door opens. Ilhoon walks into my living room and puts the things I dropped on the coffee table. Just then a little miniature pincher comes ambling and sniffs Ilhoon’s leg.

“And who might this be?” Ilhoon asks and points at my dog. “Ilhoon, meet my dog Hyungnim,” I say and Ilhoon chuckles. “Hyungnim? Seriously?” he asks and I shrug with an innocent look on my face. “Well hello there, Hyungnim,” Ilhoon says and pats his head. Then Hyungnim turns away and goes back to my room where he was probably sleeping.

“So what is it you need my help with?” I ask and Ilhoon turns around to look at me. “When I ran away from home I had no plans and no idea what I was gonna do. But then I saw a band playing in a bar and I knew that that was what I wanted to do,” he says and I can see where this is going, “so I decided to start my own band and a year ago I finally succeeded.”

I sigh heavily and run a hand through my hair. “I’m gonna ask again. What exactly do you need my help for?”

“Well.. the band isn’t really getting any gigs and we don’t have much money. And because of these problems we don’t really have time or even a place to practice so we can get gigs. Since I’m the leader they expect me to come up with a solution. And when it comes to money I could only think of you because mom and dad would kill me if I asked.”

“So it all comes down to you guys needing money,” I say and he nods. “Well we also need a place to practice and I need a place to stay because I couldn’t pay the rent where I stayed before.”

“You haven’t changed at all. You’re still a trouble maker,” I say and Ilhoon doesn’t deny that. “And if you haven’t changed either then you will help. Because you’re an angel,” he says and looks at me with begging eyes. I close my eyes and take a deep breath.

“Okay first things first. You can stay at my place since I have an extra room and you don’t have to pay anything,” I say and open my eyes. Ilhoon has a big smile on his face and before he can thank me I continue. “Secondly about a room you can practice. I think I can help with that too. Father gave me an empty building he wanted me to make a business out of but I still haven’t done that. It has a basement that is almost soundproof and I’m sure you can practice there without disturbing people next door.”

“Really?!” Ilhoon asks and can’t hide his excitement. “Yeah that shouldn’t be a problem,” I say and he smiles widely. “I really only have you, Heejin,” he says and I shrug, “now that all that’s taken care of, how about you give your brother a hug. Since I am the most gorgeous man on earth.”

I roll my eyes and say: “I would rather beat you up or even kill you.”

“Don’t do that! I’m an endangered species,” he says and I can’t help but chuckle. I walk over and let him put his arms around me. I still fit perfectly into his embrace and there is no place where I feel more secure than in my brother’s arms.

“I’ve missed you,” I say and hide my face by his shoulder. “I’ve missed you too my dear sister,” he says and kisses the top of my head, “and I’m sorry I never contacted you. I was afraid you would hate me because I left you.”

“I know why you left and I understand. I just wish I could have seen you every once in a while.”

“Yeah who wouldn’t miss this face?”

I punch his ribs but he just laughs. “This time you better not leave me behind,” I say and Ilhoon my hair. “I won’t. I promise.”