The fortune teller

My Brother is in a Band

 

 

“Come on Heejin it will be fun!” my friend Han Ji Hyun says over the phone and she obviously can’t hide her excitement. “You know I don’t believe that kind of stuff,” I say and sit down on the edge of my bed. “You don’t have to. Just go with me. Ji Min has already said no and I don’t want to go alone,” she whines and I can almost she her pout, “pleeeeeeeease~”

Han Ji Min is Ji Hyun’s twin sister and they are both my best friends. We go to school together and do everything together. Especially the two sisters are inseparable and I don't think I've ever seen them fight. But when it comes to things that aren’t logical and something you can’t prove with facts then Ji Min will have nothing to do with it while Ji Hyun feels drawn to it. That’s why I’m not surprised that Ji Min refused to go to a fortune teller with her sister even when she begs. And that’s why Ji Hyun is now begging me. And even though I don’t believe in fortune tellers and can’t see how it could hurt to go with her.

“Fine I’ll come with you,” I say and Ji Hyun squeals. “Perfect! See you at the usual place in an hour!” she says and then hangs up. I sigh and put my phone in my pocket. I guess I’m still defenseless in front of Ji Hyun’s whining and begging. I have never been able to turn her down when she asks for something like that. But since she has never asked for something more crazy than going to a fortune teller it hasn’t really been a problem.

I walk downstairs to the living room and see my older brother Daehyun sitting on the couch. He is probably studying something our father asked him to. Because our family isn’t like the usual one. I’m born into the Jung family and my father owns a big company where business is going very well. Since Daehyun is the first born son he takes over the company when our father thinks he is ready. And because of that I’m not needed in the family.

I walk over to a big picture of our family that hangs on the wall. Daehyun gets a lot of attention since he is the family’s successor. While me and my twin brother Ilhoon aren’t important enough to be bothered with. But even though our parents never really paid attention to me I always acted like the perfect daughter and did everything they asked me to. I have been playing the piano and violin since I was six and performed for my parents’ friends. When there was a party where my parents had to impress possible business partners they asked me to perform and hoped  my charm would make them agree. Since it was the only way I could help my parents I never complained and just did as I was told. Ilhoon has never been able to do that. He always rebelled against our parents and never did what they asked him to do. Because of that they left him alone most of the time and when we turned 17 he ran away from home. I was devastated but our parents didn’t seem to care. ‘If he wants to make it on his own then I will let him. But if he can’t make it he has to beg for forgiveness and maybe I will accept him into the family again’ was what our father said and then never talked about him again. But I knew that Ilhoon was never coming back to this family. He never wanted this life and didn’t fit into this kind of rich lifestyle. Ilhoon has always been a free spirit and he won’t allow anything to tie him down and decide for him. He wants to do things his way and that’s why he ran away. And I understand why he did it but still I wish he would have stayed. Because even though I act like the perfect daughter I don’t feel like one. I feel like a puppet without any thoughts, wishes and dreams of my own. In this life Ilhoon has always been my connection to my real self. Not the rich girl who does what she’s told. But the one that wants to break free and live for herself. Because of Ilhoon I started my dream of becoming a make-up artist even though our parents didn’t like it. But it has already been two years since Ilhoon disappeared and he hasn’t contacted me once. I guess I will never see my beloved twin brother again no matter how much I miss him.

I look at Ilhoon on the picture. I haven’t seen him since he was 17 and I wonder if he changed a lot. I feel tears in my eyes and look away. Missing him every day hasn’t changed over the past two years and I will probably never stop missing him. I just hope that one day he will turn up on my doorstep. He will smile cockily and say something about how I have become old or even more boring just like he used to. I will hope for that till the day it happens.

I turn away from the picture and look at Daehyun. “Oppa I’m meeting Ji Hyun and after that I’m going home,” I say and he just waves. It’s not that he doesn’t care about me. He just hasn’t got the time to focus on anything else than studying so he can take over the company. And besides I’m used to being ignored whenever I visit this house. That’s part of the reason why I moved out a year ago. My parents liked my desire for independence and bought an apartment for me where they also pay the rent. Something good comes out of having rich parents every now and then.

I leave the house and walk down to my car. The company my father owns sells cars which means I can get a new car whenever I want. This one is a Mercedes and I have had it for two months. I don’t plan on changing it in a near future.

I start the engine and drive away from the castle like house that I grew up in. A place that has never felt like home.

After parking my car I start walking down the streets of Hongdae. I spot the café where Ji Hyun wants to meet. She is already there and gets up as soon as I walk in.

“I can’t wait anymore so let’s go!” she says and grabs my hand. She starts pulling me out of the café and down the street. She stops in front of a building that looks empty.

“Is it here?” I ask and Ji Hyun points to a staircase that leads down to a basement, “down there?”

She nods and starts walking down the stairs. I hesitate because it looks kind of creepy. “Come on Heejin,” she begs and I sigh before I follow her. As we step into the room I can see that it’s lit up only with candles and there is a heavy smell of incense. In the far end of the room a woman is sitting on the floor behind a small table. She has wrapped herself in a lot of colorful fabric and she has a lot of earrings and rings on her fingers. As we step closer I see that she has a piercing in her nose. She looks just like how I always imagined a gipsy.

“Welcome young ones,” she says and smiles. I’m somehow relieved to see that her teeth look normal. She probably doesn’t look like this all the time and has a normal life beside this.

“Sit down,” she says and Ji Hyun and I kneel on two pillows in front of the small table. The fortune teller finds a deck of cards and spreads them out on the table with the backside up. Then she looks at me and asks me to pick two cards. I shake my head and say that I only came along to watch.

“But your fate is calling for you young one,” she says and I frown, “your aura is very strong and great things will happen to you very soon. Don’t you want to know?”

“I’m good,” I say and am about to get up. Ji Hyun grabs my wrist and looks at me with begging eyes. “Just this once,” she whispers and I sigh. “Fine. But I’m not believing any of it,” I say and look at the cards on the table. “Let your hand hover over the cards and pick two that feels special or different than the others,” she says and I struggle not to roll my eyes. But I do as she says and one of the cards actually feels a little warmer than the others. Even though it’s probably just my imagination I pick it out and the fortune teller takes it.

“One more,” she says and once again a card feels a little warmer than the rest. I pick it out and she takes it. None of us have seen what the cards are yet and the fortune teller puts them down on the table still with the backside up. Then she turns the first card over and it shows a person in the middle of a ring of circles in different colors.

“The Universe,” the fortune teller says and looks at me, “do you have anything that holds you back? Something that prevents you from realizing your dreams?”

“Your parents,” Ji Hyun whispers excited, “they hold you back. Or rather you hold yourself back because of them.”

“I guess you could say that,” I mumble and the fortune teller pushes the card a little towards me. “This card means that you should achieve your goals and watch your dreams come true. There is a lot more to you than what you let people see. If you let go and let yourself live the way you really want then you will find great happiness and pleasure. You will find yourself feeling complete and in balance.”

“See! I always told you that you need to do what you want and not what your parents want you to,” Ji Hyun says and I bite my lip. Anybody could say that because a lot of people stand in their own way. This means nothing. She hasn’t told me anything that can convince me.

The fortune teller turns the other card and then frowns.

“This is a rare card,” she says and looks at me, “give me your hand.”

I look at Ji Hyun and she just nods. Then I reach out my hand and the fortune teller takes it in both of her hands. She closes her eyes and takes a deep breath.
“The card tells me that your fate is drawing very near. Someone who will take a special place in your heart will soon show himself,” she says and Ji Hyun squeals. “You’re going to meet your true love!” she says and the fortune teller shakes her head. “Not necessarily a lover,” she says still with her eyes closed, “the person you will meet is going to change you forever. This person could either be the best thing or the worst thing for you.”

I frown and Ji Hyun clears . “Who is he and when will she meet him?” Ji Hyun asks. “The person will have a connection to someone close to you,” she says and I wonder who it could be. Someone Ji Min or Ji Hyun knows? Or maybe someone my other close friend Oh Sehun knows?

“I see the color red,” the fortune teller says and I raise an eyebrow, “something either on him or about him will be red. Or maybe something in the surroundings, when you meet for the first time.”

Red? Hopefully it doesn’t have anything to do with blood. I’m going to stay away from accidents and the hospital for a while. Unless he is the worst thing that could happen to me and he kills someone close to me. I’m scaring myself for no reason. This woman is just a con artist and doesn’t even know what she is talking about.

“I also see wings,” she says and this time I can’t help but roll my eyes, “I’m not sure if it’s wings in the literal meaning like bird wings or just a metaphor like the wings of an angel. I just see a pair of beautiful wings and someday you will probably understand what the wings mean.”

“So I need to look out for an angel with red wings?” I ask and the fortune teller finally opens her eyes. “Whether you believe me or not I will suggest that you keep your eyes open. Because you are going to meet this person tomorrow.”

I squint and pull my hand out of her grip. “I’ll remember that,” I say sarcastically and get up, “Ji Hyun we’re leaving.”

“But she hasn’t read me yet,” she complains. “And she’s not going to,” I say and pull her up. I bow to the woman out of good manners and then pull Ji Hyun out of the basement.

“Heejin let go!” Ji Hyun says when we’re back on the street. I let go of her and turn to look at her. “Does she really expect me to believe that nonsense?” I say and scoff. “But think about it for a second,” Ji Hyun says and I look away, “she said something about the color red right? Right now your hair color is red.”

I frown and look at her out of the corner of my eye. “Yeah and she could see that so that’s why she said it. On my way home I will go to your house and have you dye and cut my hair,” I say and Ji Hyun sighs. She wants to be a hairdresser and she has a lot of products at home. She can easily cut and dye my hair. Besides her and Ji Min’s mother owns a mall where she can get everything she needs for free. Just like Ji Min who wants to be a stylist can get all the clothes she wants. And the sisters have an older brother like me who has to take over the family business so the twins can do whatever they want.

“That’s not the point!” Ji Hyun says but I refuse to believe the fortune tellers words, “then what about the wings? And the fact that it can symbolize an angel?”

“What about it?” I ask still without looking at her. “Have you forgotten about your birthdate?” she asks and my eyes widen a little, “you’re born on the 4th of October. Angel day. The fortune teller doesn’t know that.”

“Luck,” I say but doesn’t sound so sure anymore. “And what about the fact that it’s someone connected to a person close to you? If it’s still about angels then it can only be Ilhoon. Since he is your twin he is also born on Angel day.”

“You know I haven’t seen Ilhoon in the past two years. This has got nothing to do with him,” I say and sound more hostile than intended. “If you refuse to believe then it’s your problem. But in any case I would keep my eyes open tomorrow if I were you.”

“Well you’re not so I’m not going to think about it,” I say and run a hand through my red hair, “now let’s go. I need to change my hair color asap.”

While walking down to my car I can’t help but feel weird inside. Is it really possible? Could this person really show up tomorrow? And if he does, how is that going to affect my life?

 

 

 

 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

So here is the first chapter. What do you think? How do you think Heejin is going to meet her 'fate'?
Let me know in the comments and don't forget to subsribe :)