1 year later

My Brother is in a Band

 

I walk into the salon and greet my colleagues that I pass on the way to the staff room. The salon is already bustling with clients having either their hair or make-up done early in the morning. It’s one of the most popular places around here and lots of celebrities use us regularly too. It’s already been three months since I started working here and I enjoy every moment. I finally managed to achieve my dream of becoming a professional make-up artist. I’m still seen as someone in training since I’ve only worked as an assistant before coming here, but they said they saw potentiel, when I applied for the job and they agreed to give me a chance. I’ve learned so much since I started and I know I still have much more to learn. I walk into the locker room and put my bag in my locker. I check my phone and smile when I see the background. It’s a picture of me and the band celebrating the release of their first album 7 months ago. It turned out that the members had already written several songs together that they had never played in public, as they always performed cover songs. But they had 9 complete songs written with score and lyrics and everything that just waited to be recorded. They had saved them for when they hoped a label would sign them, so they could record their own songs, and not just songs chosen by the label. But since they decided they didn’t want to sign with a label in the end, we had to take matters into our own hands. So, we rented a studio for a couple of months and after learning how to work all the equipment required to record the members singing and playing, we started working on an album. We recorded everything for all nine songs, and then with the help of a professional, we worked on editing everything to sound as put together as possible. And so after 5 months of hard work, we finally stood with a finished complete album in our hands that we somehow managed to make ourselves. Label or no label, we can get their music out there. And whether one person, ten people or 100s of people listen to it isn’t that important. If just one person can appreciate their hard work, it was all worth it. We had a few copies made and a few places agreed to sell them for us. The café had been closed while we worked on the album, but we all went back to working there when it was completed. We sold a few copies of it there too, since some of our regular customers come by just to see the guys. When I got the job here at the salon, Ilhoon took over management of the café, though it’s still registered in my name. If father found out Ilhoon was associated with the café in any way, he would shut it down. I know he’ll never go to the café or ask me about it, so as long as Ilhoon’s name never appears anywhere near it, father will never find out. I put my phone in my pocket and walk out to meet my first client of the day. It’s a woman in her mid to late twenties and she asks for a natural no make-up make-up look. It’s what most ask for these days, so I’ve seen my colleagues do it several times already and I’ve done quite a few myself too. Still, I never get tired of doing someone’s make-up and see them feel more confident when they leave. I begin with cleaning and prepping her skin, before I start with the base make-up. After giving her flawless looking glass skin I move onto the subtle eye make-up. It has to look like she isn’t wearing any eyeshadow, which is a feat in itself. With every of a brush I watch the girl in the chair transform from tired to glowing. I clean up her eyebrows, put some brown mascara on and then a natural lipstick. After finishing her make-up she seems very happy with the result and thanks me. As she leaves, the girl from the reception comes over towards us. 

“Heejin, you have another client,” she says and I look at her with a confused expression. “But… my next client isn’t scheduled for another hour,” I say and she smiles at me. “This is a special client. He asked for you specifically.”

I look even more confused, but as soon as I see my client, everything makes sense. “Hi, sis,” Ilhoon says as he comes over with a big smile on his face. “I thought you looked alike,” the receptionist says before she goes back to her desk. Ilhoon plops down in my chair and starts turning around in it. “Nice place,” he says while letting the turning chair give him a view of the whole salon. I put my hand on the back of the chair to stop it and look at my brother.

“What are you doing here?” I ask and he smirks. “You know the band has a show tonight and I thought I might look extra fine for this one,” he says and I can’t hold back a chuckle. “Someone you want to impress?” I ask and he shrugs with a grin. I shake my head with a smile and turn him towards the mirror. “Better make you irresistible then.”

I start prepping his skin and he appears to enjoy the pampering. “How’s the songwriting coming along?” I ask as I apply moisturizer to his skin. “Eunkwang is spitting songs out as if his life depends on it. In a month’s time we will have enough for one album if not two if he keeps it up.”

“He does have a knack for writing both catchy songs and soulful songs,” I say with a chuckle and Ilhoon nods, “sometimes when I manage the playlist for the store, I play some of your songs, and the response has been good. Some customers have even asked about the artist behind the songs and wanted to look you up. I would say you’ve done quite well considering you don’t have a management company behind you.”

Ilhoon smirks, and repositions to a triumphant posture. “I told you, didn't I? I knew we would be fine on our own. Besides, who enjoys the kind of fame where you can’t even walk on the street? This suits the band much better,” he says and I shake my head with a smile. “Of course, you know best,” I say and he nods in agreement. “Ain’t that the truth.”

We talk a bit more about the plans for the new album and the concert while I finish up his make-up. The band wants to start recording in the near future, so the café will have to close down for some time again and we have to come up with a good reason for that if father starts asking questions. Closing it for months twice in the span of a year might catch his attention. I also want to be part of the process, so we have to coordinate with my working schedule for some of the days. 

After finishing his make-up I let him look in the mirror and even though he doesn’t say it, I know he’s impressed with how I’ve improved. 

“Well, I’ve looked worse,” he says and I sigh with a smile. “Good enough I guess,” I say as he gets out of the chair. 

“Room for another walk-in client?” I hear a voice I would recognise anywhere and can’t stop a smile from spreading across my face. “Well, I’ll always have time for this special VIP client,” I say before turning around but when I see the person my eyes widen.

“You… it’s… uh… red?” I stumble over the words without being able to form a sentence. Minhyuk laughs and walks over until he’s standing right in front of me.

“Do you like it?” he asks and refers to the part of him that I can’t look away from. His flaming red hair. 

“But… it’s… why?” 

Minhyuk smiles and takes one of my hands in his. “I can’t take anymore of this nonsense, so I’ll see you guys at the concert,” Ilhoon says and makes a quick exit. I still can’t take my eyes off of Minhyuk’s hair that looks almost identical to the day I met him for the first time.

“Hey, my eyes are down here,” he says and points towards his face. I finally manage to divert my eyes and look at his face. “What did you do?” I whisper and he looks really amused.

“Well funny story,” he says and runs a hand through his hair, “Jihyun told me about a time you and her went to a fortune teller and she gave you some very interesting information.”

I blink a few times and look at his hair again for a short moment before returning to his eyes. 

“When you would meet your fated person, the color red would be present, and wings would play a part too,” he says while reaching his free hand over his shoulder to touch the top of his shoulder blade where the tip of his tattoo is placed. He smiles and gives my hand a squeeze. “Who knew we were fated to meet.”

I can’t help but smile too and pull him closer. “Technically I knew we were, I just didn’t want to believe it at first,” I say and he chuckles. “It does sound a bit crazy and made up, but maybe there is some higher power pulling strings somewhere,” he says and I shake my head with a smile. “Fate or not, I’m just glad we met and that I fell in love with you. My life hasn’t been the same since you entered it. And I wouldn’t change it for anything,” I say and lean in for a kiss. “I love you too,” Minhyuk says just before our lips meet.