Love has many faces

My Brother is in a Band

 

 

I step into Minhyuk’s apartment and look around with a cautious expression. It’s a typical apartment for a guy in his early twenties who lives alone. In one end of the room is a TV with a worn out couch in front of it and next to the TV is a shelf with movies and video games. In the opposite corner is a small kitchen with only a few counters, a fridge and a small stove. And of course a rise cooker and a microwave, because you can’t live without that. There’re only two doors besides the front door and I’m guessing one leads to his bedroom and the other to the bathroom. Coming from a rich family I have never been in such a small dirty apartment. But I can’t help finding it kind of charming. It actually looks like a person lives here. Not like my parents’ house that looks like a house from a commercial. Those commercials normal people look at and know they can never live there. Minhyuk’s apartment feels more comfortable than any other apartment I have been to.

Minhyuk walks to the kitchen and asks if I want something. “Do you have tea?” I ask and follow him. “No,” he says without even looking through the cabinets. “Coffee?” I ask and he shakes his head, “why would you ask if you know you don’t have anything to offer?”

“To be polite of course,” he says and I roll my eyes. “Then just a glass of water.”

“Coming right up!” he says and fills a glass. He hands me the glass and I take a sip. Then Minhyuk and I sit down on the couch. I look around in the apartment again.

“So you live here alone?” I ask and he nods, “what about your parents?”

Minhyuk’s expression darkens and he looks away. I feel like I asked something I shouldn’t and the atmosphere gets kind of awkward.

“I’m sorry,” I say and he shakes his head. “Don’t be,” he says and smiles strained, “it’s just that my parents aren’t really… around.”

“Do they not live in Seoul?” I ask and he bites his lower lip. “It’s not that. It’s just… it’s complicated,” he says and I understand his allusion. “I get it. I won’t ask anymore,” I say and he looks relieved. To lighten the tension I get up and walk to the shelf next to the TV. It’s filled with play station games and my eyes widen when I see a certain game. I take it out from the shelf and show it to Minhyuk.

“Can we please play?” I ask with puppy eyes. He looks at the Tekken 5 game I’m holding and he grins. “Sure. But don’t cry when I beat you,” he says and I snort. “We’ll see who cries. I’ve played with Ilhoon a lot during the years and I’m sure I could go pro by now,” I say cockily and Minhyuk takes the game out of my hand. “Then this will be entertaining,” he says and starts the game.

We play for about an hour and we’re head to head. In the end I win 10 to 9 wins. Minhyuk demands a rematch and I promise to come back and play against him again. Then I get up and ask him to drive me back to my school. I have to get my car and then we have to go to the café. He agrees and we walk down to his car.

An hour later we walk into the café and Minhyuk walks right down to the basement to change into his uniform. I find Ilhoon behind the counter and ask him how it’s been with the café. He tells that the café is slowly getting more known and that we have had a couple of costumers. Not many, but the number is increasing. I’m satisfied with the results and look around. There’re a few costumers now and it’s mainly girls. Some of them are probably here because of the boys. I have even seen some of BTOB’s fans come here just to see them. It would be nice if the guys could gain a little popularity while working here. Even if it’s just a little.

I see Eunkwang sitting in a corner by himself and I’m guessing he’s on his break. I walk over and sit by the table. He looks up and smiles.

“How was school?” he asks and kind of reminds me of a parent. “You know, the usual,” I say and play the scene where Minhyuk dragged me out of class in my head. I smile wryly and Eunkwang raises an eyebrow. He doesn’t ask why I’m smiling though. Instead he asks about my friends.

“Are you alone today? You normally always have someone with you,” he says and I shrug. “They’re busy I guess,” I mumble and Eunkwang nods. “That guy friend of yours hasn’t been here for quite a while now,” he says and I sigh. “That’s because unlike me and the twins, Sehun’s the oldest son in his family and he has to take over his father’s company in the future,” I say and run a hand through my hair, “now that he’s attending his senior year in high school his father wants to prepare him. He’s busy with additional classes and his father also gives him some private lessons about the company. He probably won’t be around very much from now on.”

“That’s too bad. You two seem really close,” he says and I nod. “After Ilhoon he’s the person closest to me. He has been there for as long as I can remember and he has always been by my side. But I fear that we’ll grow apart when he enters the business world. I’ll never be a part of that world and we won’t be able to see each other as much.”

Eunkwang frowns and asks if Sehun’s okay with that. “He doesn’t have much of a choice. From the moment he was born, his life and future was decided for him. There’s no easy way out of the world he lives in.”

Eunkwang clicks his tongue and leans back in his chair. “What does his father do?”

“He owns the most famous hotel in South Korea,” I say and Eunkwang raises an eyebrow. “There’s a lot of money in that business,” he says and I agree, “so if you marry him in the future you’ll never have any financial problems.”

My eyes widen a little. I’ve never imagined Sehun and I together like that.

“It’s not like that between us,” I say with a serious expression, “it has never been and it never will be.”

“You sure?” Eunkwang asks and I nod. There is a very good reason why Sehun and I can never be. Eunkwang just smiles and gets up. “I have to get back to work,” he says and I nod surprised. He can be weird sometimes. I watch him walk to the counter and ask Ilhoon what to do. Just then someone walks in and a child voice shouts dad. I turn my head and see Taekwoon run over to Changsub. He grabs Taekwoon and lifts him up. A wide smiles spreads across Changsub’s lips as Taekwoon starts talking about his day. The woman who brought him here comes over to me. Every Monday she brings him here when kindergarten ends. She tells me that Taekwoon has behaved like he always does. I thank her and she leaves. Changsub comes over and puts Taekwoon down in front of me.

“Can you look after him while I change?” he asks and I nod. Changsub hurries down the stairs and I look at Taekwoon. He’s a very special child. He’s silent when you consider how children his age normally make a lot of noise. He also talks in a soft subdued voice and he only seems really comfortable when he’s with his father. His personality makes him seem like quite a peculiar kid, but more than anything he’s extremely cute. 

“Noona,” he says with his soft voice. “What is it Taekwoon?” I say and crouch down in front of him so I can look him in the eyes. “I drew this today,” he says and takes a drawing out from his pocket. He shows it to me and on his drawing is an adult holding a child’s hand. The drawing looks very much like something a child would draw.

“Is that you and your dad?” I ask and he nods. I can’t help but smile while I look at the drawing.

“I think you should give it to your dad. I’m sure he will love it,” I say and give Taekwoon back his drawing. “Really?” he asks and I nod. As soon as Changsub comes walking up the stairs Taekwoon runs over to him.

“Dad, for you,” he says and gives the drawing to his father. Changsub looks at it and smiles widely. “Thanks Taekwoon. It’s very well drawn,” he says and gently ruffles the little boy’s hair. Taekwoon smiles just as widely as his father and he looks proud.

“Dad I have to use the bathroom,” Taekwoon says and Changsub nods. “I’ll wait here,” he says and Taekwoon enters the customer bathroom. Changsub starts towards me and I smile at him.

“He’s a good kid,” I say and Changsub agrees, “he’s seems very mature for his age and he’s smart.”

“I know and I feel so proud watching him. I’m just afraid I can’t give him what he deserves,” he says and I know this is worrying him a lot. “You have no reason to. He’s not starving and he has a place to stay where he feels safe,” I say and put a hand on Changsub’s shoulder, “you two haven’t stayed together for very long but he already loves you. He can feel how much you care and it makes him feel safe and loved. From the few conversations I’ve had with him I can sense that all Taekwoon wants is his father’s love and attention. And you give him that. Your son is fine, Changsub. He’s happy as long as you keep doing what you’re doing.”

Changsub looks at me for a while without saying anything. Then he puts one arm around my shoulder and hugs me.

“Thanks Heejin. That’s just what I needed to hear,” he says and I smile. “Glad I could help,” I say and Changsub lets me go just as Taekwoon comes out from the bathroom. “Ready to go, buddy?” Changsub asks and Taekwoon nods. He takes his father’s hand and then they leave the café together. I look after them with a slight smile.

“He’s an amazing dad,” I hear a voice say next to me. I turn my head and see Minhyuk standing beside me. It’s not the first time he sneaks up on me so I’m not really surprised anymore.

“He is indeed,” I agree and Minhyuk looks at me with a smile. “Are we closing earlier today?” he asks and I’m a little taken aback over the sudden change of subject. “Yeah we’re closing in about half an hour,” I say and he nods. Then he turns around and gets back to work. Weirdo.

An hour later I’m done closing the café. The guys are already practicing in the basement. Except Changsub who will arrive in about an hour. Normally when Changsub gets here he’ll put Taekwoon to sleep on a couch we have placed in the changing room and then he’ll sleep there till Changsub takes him home. Taekwoon isn’t bothered by the music since the soundproof room doesn’t let much sound into the changing room. But without Changsub, the band has a hard time playing without drums so they basically just play a bit for fun. They have had play offs and things like that.

I walk downstairs and decide to check the changing room. Just to see if everything’s okay for when Taekwoon comes to sleep in there. I open the door and freeze on the doorstep. Apparently Minhyuk was doing something before he started changing, because right now he’s standing in front of me shirtless. I can’t take my eyes off of his chest. And not just because of his perfectly proportioned upper body and chocolate abs. I also notice that around his neck is a leather strap with a plectrum. It’s like a necklace. I wonder if the plectrum has significant meaning to him since he’s wearing it around his neck. Minhyuk apparently doesn’t feel awkward with the situation at all because he takes his time putting his t-shirt on.

“Enjoying the show?” he asks and I immediately blush. He laughs and starts towards me. He ruffles my hair as he passes me by and then he continues towards the practice room. My heart skipped a bit because of his touch and for some reason I need to take a deep breath. His presence gives me butterflies in my stomach and his touch makes my entire body tremble. I know what all this mean and I guess I can’t deny it any longer. I hate to admit it. But I guess I’m in love with Minhyuk.