All good things

My Brother is in a Band

 

 

Everyone, except Ilhoon has come to visit Minhyuk, and the room is kinda crowded. But Minhyuk enjoys it immensely and it’s good to see him laugh, even though he sometimes grimaces because the wounds hurt from all the laughing. I’m not sure why Ilhoon is the only one who hasn’t showed up. I haven’t talked to him yet, and I feel like I needed the space. But now I’m ready to face him and talk it through with him. I just hope he shows up eventually. Suddenly I hear the mention of my name and return my attention to the room.

“I never expected you two to be together,” Changsub says and looks back and forth between Minhyuk and me, “I didn’t see any signs of it.”

“Then you must be blind, ‘cause everyone else had figured it out,” Eunkwang says and Changsub looks very surprised by that information. “Really? All of you knew?” he asks and they all nod. It’s also the first time I see confirmation that they all had a hunch about Minhyuk and me. It’s a miracle that Ilhoon didn’t figure it out on his own. Or maybe he had a suspicion and just didn’t want to believe that I kept it a secret and lied to him about it. Either way the truth is out to everyone and we never have to hide our relationship in front of the band again. 

“They say that the more you try to keep it a secret, the more obvious it gets. And since we’ve known Minhyuk for a while, most of us could see how he changed after he met Heejin. He just looked at her in a way he didn’t look at anyone else, and always found an excuse to be close to her. I’m shocked you didn’t notice, Changsub,” Peniel says and first looks at Minhyuk and then me. I meet his eyes before I glance over at Minhyuk, who is already looking at me. It’s interesting to hear how others see Minhyuk because they notice things about him that I wouldn’t. Like the way he acts around me, compared to how he is when I’m not around. And they way he looks at me, also when I’m not aware of him. These guys know him and they noticed that change in him, while I only know the him he became after we met. But on the other hand I also know a Minhyuk that they don’t. The loving Minhyuk that he had to hide from his friends because they couldn’t know about us. They have never seen how we are when we’re just the two of us and don’t have to hide our feelings. But now they can see it, because we don’t have to hide it anymore. And just then I feel the complete relief of knowing I don’t have to look over my shoulder all the time and be aware of my actions around Minhyuk when the others are around. I can hug him and kiss him whenever I want without worrying about anything. I can take his hand and look him in the eye without having a nervous feeling in my gut. I can’t hold back a smile and Minhyuk returns it as if he has read my thoughts and feel the same relief. Just then the door to the room is opened and to my surprise Ilhoon steps in. We all look his way and he stops in his tracks. He looks at all of us and asks: “What?”

Out of the corner of my eye I notice that several of the guys smile wryly at Ilhoon, except for Minhyuk. I can’t really read his expression, the only feeling I can clearly identify in his eyes is determination. But for what? Ilhoon steps further into the room, but before he can say anything Minhyuk gets out of bed. We all look at him in surprise as he steps in front of Ilhoon and look him straight in the eye. I get a nervous feeling that he’ll do something stupid, but instead he falls to his knees. Ilhoon looks uncomfortable seeing his his hyung like that, and tries to pull him up, but Minhyuk refuses. 

“I have something I need to say and you have to listen, because it’s important to me,” Minhyuk says and Ilhoon stops struggling with him. “Fine, I’ll listen.”

We all look at him in silence, but Minhyuk focuses solely on my brother. “I know I did something you told us we shouldn’t do and I’m sorry for that. I never meant to cross you or disrespect you in any way. I didn’t plan on dating your sister, but my heart didn’t really give me a choice,” Minhyuk says and I think he looks at me out of the corner of his eye for a brief moment, “I fell in love with her and I couldn’t stay away, I knew that from very early on. And I was willing to let her have her way and keep it a secret from you, because at least I could be with her. I’m sorry you had to find out this way, and I know you don’t like your sister dating me, but I hope you can look past it and think of your sister’s happiness and your friend’s happiness.” Minhyuk look very intensely at Ilhoon and then bow his head. “Please, Ilhoon, I love Heejin, and she loves me, so can’t you accept our relationship? Or at least give us a chance?”

I stare at Minhyuk, on his knees in front of my brother, begging him for his acceptance. And without giving it a second thought, I walk over and get on my knees next to Minhyuk. I too bow my head and say: “Please, Ilhoon.”

I look a bit to the side and meet Minhyuk’s eyes. All I see in them is unconditional love and affection. I know that no matter what happens he’ll always be by my side. So if Ilhoon won’t accept us being together, then it’ll come down to a choice again, but this time I’ll choose differently. From now on I’ll always choose Minhyuk.

“Okay okay you two get up, you’re making me uncomfortable,” Ilhoon says and Minhyuk and I get up. Ilhoon looks back and forth between us and then he sighs. “For you to fall on your knees, how do you expect me to forbid you from being together. How was that even my right from the beginning? I don’t like it, but I guess I don’t have to,” Ilhoon says and then looks at me for a while before he speaks again, “I love you, Heejin, and I want you to be happy. Lately you’ve seemed very happy and I assumed it was because of me. But apparently there was more to it than me. That doesn’t matter though, because as long as you’re happy, I’m happy. No matter who it is that makes you happy, I’ll make an effort to accept it, even if it’s one of my band members.” Then Ilhoon turns his attention to Minhyuk and his eyes turn a bit colder. “I don’t doubt your feelings for my sister, so I won’t stand in your way. But if you ever hurt her in any way, I will kill you,” he says stoically and Minhyuk swallows before he slowly nods. Then Ilhoon pushes his way past Minhyuk and takes a seat in one of the chairs. Minhyuk gets back to bed and sits on the edge. He touches the area where he was shot, and I hope it didn’t make it worse that he went down on his knees. He seems happy enough though so it can’t be that bad. 

“Oh and by the way,” Ilhoon says and we turn to look at him, “you’re back in the band. It just doesn’t work without a lead guitarist.”

Minhyuk smiles widely and everyone seems relieved to get their band member back. That reminds me of some good news I never managed to tell them because of all that’s happened lately.

“Guys, I have something to tell you,” I say and now everyone’s attention is on me, “Sehun knows a guy whose parents own a record company in China that signs artist who can promote in both Korea and China. He talked to his parents about signing you as a band.”

Everyone appears to be holding their breath, waiting for me to come with the verdict. “They said they want to meet you and talk. If they like you, they will sign you and let you promote as BTOB without making changes.”

It’s quiet for a while as if they’re all letting it sink in. Then a roar of cheer and high-fives break out and I can’t help but laugh at their reactions. Even Ilhoon jumped up and joins in on the cheering. I watch them talk about how much their looking forward to the meeting, trying to prepare for what to say and which songs to play to make the best impression. They even start discussing what they should wear to look their best. I don’t join in on the conversation or in any way try to interrupt. This is their moment and they should enjoy it, because there still is a chance that Luhan’s parents won’t sign them. But right now they get to celebrate that at least they have a chance of making it. Their first ever chance to sign with a company. Even if it doesn’t happen, it’s still something. I just really hope for the best for them. They deserve it.

 

A few more days pass before Minhyuk is finally discharged from the hospital and gets to go home. I insist that I should stay with him for a while and he doesn’t protest, instead he encourages the idea. I’m still not sure exactly where Ilhoon and I stand and whether or not he will come back and stay at my apartment or if he’ll continue to stay wherever he’s been since he found out about Minhyuk and me. I won’t talk to him about it yet though, since all my focus is gonna be on Minhyuk the coming days. Taking care of him and helping him heal, so he can be ready for the meeting with Luhan’s parents. I got a call from them the day after I told the members about it, and we arranged a date two weeks from now, because they’ll be in Seoul then. The members panicked a little when it got a lot more real and they wanted to practice right away. But Minhyuk wasn’t exactly in shape to practice then, and he probably still isn’t right after getting out of the hospital. I tried to tell him that, but it’s obvious to me that there’s no stopping him. So, we go right from the hospital and straight to the café so they can practice in the basement. I watch Minhyuk closely and a couple of times he’ll grimace while playing because of pain, but it doesn’t stop him though. He seems to enjoy himself too and it’s good to see him back in his element. When Ilhoon threw him out of the band, I feared Minhyuk would never get to do this again. Play with the band and have fun with them. So, I’m really thankful to Ilhoon for taking him back. They play a couple of songs before they take a break. Minhyuk puts his guitar down and comes over to me. He sits down and lets out a sigh.
“Are you okay?” I ask and his bangs away from his forehead. “Did you bring the pain killers?” he asks and I know it’s bad if he has to ask for them. I take the pill glass from my jacket pocket and give him two. “You don’t have to push yourself too hard. Remember you should be able to perform in two weeks from now,” I say and he nods, though I’m not sure he’s really gonna take it more easy anyway. I give him a bottle of water and he downs two mouthfuls with the pills. 

“I just don’t wanna be a burden to the band by not practicing,” he says and leans against me, leaning his head against mine. “I’m sure you’re the only one who would think that. You literally just got out of the hospital after being shot. You can cut yourself some slack, because I know that they will,” I say and he sighs. “A nap actually sounds really good right now,” he mumbles and I smile wryly. “Let’s get you home to bed then,” I say and he straightens up. We both get up and look to the members who stayed in the basement. “We’ll try again tomorrow,” I say and they nod. Minhyuk and I are almost out the door when Eunkwang suddenly speaks. “Hey, Heejin?” I stop up and turn to look at him. “It’s nice to see you’re so good to him. It assures us all that he’s gonna be fine,” he says and I smile, “and it’s nice you don’t have to hide your relationship anymore. You’re actually cute together.”

I blush and he laughs at my reaction. While walking up the stairs I can’t help but smile at Eunkwang words. It is really nice to be able to be around the band without holding back with Minhyuk. And knowing they all support us makes it all a lot easier too. I guess a tragedy had to hit us before things could change for the better. And they definitely have changed for the better. If they sign a contract and get to debut, everything would be perfect. Except for one thing. I still have to make up with my brother.