Minhyuk's surprises

My Brother is in a Band

 

 

We all leave the apartment and walk to the parking lot. The boys brought their van with all the instruments. But we can’t all fit into it so I suggest that I’ll drive separately in my own car. Minhyuk says he’ll go with me and even though Ilhoon looks dissatisfied he doesn’t oppose. I then get into the driver’s seat and Minhyuk takes the passenger seat. He looks excited and I can’t help but smile because of his enthusiasm.

But he’s strangely quiet on the way to the club. I wonder why he wanted to drive with me in the first place.

“Heejin-ah,” he suddenly says and I look at him shortly. “What is it?” I ask and stop at the red light. “Are you going out with someone at the moment?” he asks and I’m surprised by the sudden question. And it’s a personal one as well.
“No I’m not,” I reply and he smiles. “That’s good,” he says and I frown. “Why is it good?” I ask and he smirks. “Because I want you all to myself,” he says and I’m not sure I understand, “the light’s green.”

I look at the stoplight and just like he said it’s green. I keep my eyes on the road while I drive. What did he mean by having me all to himself? I don’t get it.

“Minhyuk, what did you mean by what you said?” I finally ask and look at Minhyuk out of the corner of my eye. “I mean exactly what I said. I’m interested in you and want to be close to you. I won’t let anyone take you away,” he says and my grip around the wheel tightens. “Are you saying that… that you like me?” I ask and Minhyuk confirms that, “but you can’t.”

“And why is that?”

We have reached to nightclub and I park the car. I turn my body towards Minhyuk and look him straight in the eye.

“If you really liked me, you wouldn’t be able to admit it so easily. You would be nervous and struggle to find the words. If you can say it so boldly your feelings definitely aren’t true or in any way real,” I say and Minhyuk tilts his head. “I’m just very certain about how I feel and I’m not embarrassed by it. And the best way to be with you, is to tell you how I feel so you can start liking me too,” he says and I frown. “I still don’t believe you,” I say and get out of the car. Minhyuk also gets out and leans over the roof of the car. “Why?” he asks and I look at him with an indifferent gaze. “Because guys who can say they like a girl so easily are without a doubt players. They have done it so many times to lure girls in that it doesn’t bother them anymore. The word ‘like’ has completely lost it’s meaning to them so they use it without actually feeling anything,” I say and close the door violently, “so my conclusion is that you’re a player and probably just want me to jump into bed with you. But I’m not interested in being one of your one night stands so I won’t fall for your tricks.”

I start walking towards the entrance and Minhyuk quickly catches up to me. “You haven’t considered that I actually mean what I said and just doesn’t have a problem admitting it?” he asks and I shake my head. “Nope,” I say and he sighs. “I guess I just have to convince you then,” he says and before I can comment on that, we enter the nightclub. Loud music and shouting voices makes conversation difficult and I just decide to continue this later. We make our way through the dancing bodies on the dance floor till we reach the stage. Somebody who works here leads us to a room behind the stage where the rest of the members are. As soon as I step in, Ilhoon takes my hand. He trembles a little and he uses his thumb to lightly press against the back of my hand. That’s something he does when he’s nervous. It’s a habit he has had since we were kids. He would always take my hand and use his thumb like this to relieve his tension. And as a response I would lace my fingers with his and gently squeeze his hand. Then he would know I’m there for him and that he has my support. This time isn’t any different and he looks at me with an affectionate smile.

“It’s good to have you here,” he whispers so only I can hear him. “You know I’m always here for you,” I say and he nods. “I know,” he says and gently kisses my forehead. A guy walks in and says it’s time to go on stage. Ilhoon lets go of my head and the guys do a cheer. Then my brother comes over again and gives my neck a quick light kiss.

“Wish me luck,” he says and I smile. “You don’t need it,” I say and he winks before following s to the stage. I leave the room and walk out among the crowd to see the show. I don’t know where Ji Hyun and Ji Min are since they weren’t in the room with the boys. They’re probably just standing somewhere in the crowd and I can always find them after the show. Just then the boys step on stage and find their instruments. Then they start playing and the crowd cheers loudly. I on the other hand just stand quietly and watch. I look at my brother and feel really proud. The big smile on his face and the obvious satisfaction in his eyes make my heart flutter. His joy is my joy. And it’s not just him. All the members look happy when they play. The moments when they enjoy themselves the most, is when they perform together. They’re having fun and that’s transferred to the crowd. The audience is having fun with them.

The song ends and a new one begins. During the song a guy comes over and tries to dance with me. I ignore him and just keep looking at my brother. The guy doesn’t give up though and when the song ends he puts his arm around my shoulder.

“I haven’t seen you here before,” he says and his breath stinks of alcohol and menthol cigarettes. “I have only been here once before,” I say while I politely remove his arm. He then puts his other arm around my waist and pulls me close. He leans his face close to mine and I try to pull away.

“So you’re unfamiliar with the place. Maybe I should take care of you,” he whispers suggestively in my ear and I feel disgusted. “Let me go!” I say and fight to get away. “Woah woah, calm down. Somebody could get hurt,” he says and tightens his grip around my waist. He then runs his nose over my cheek while smelling my skin. I’m about to hit him but suddenly he’s pulled away by someone. The person turns the guy around and hits him in the face. As the guy stubbles to the side Minhyuk appears in front of me.

“Are you okay? He didn’t do anything to you?” he asks with his eyes full of concern. “I’m fine,” I assure him, “though I feel like throwing up a bit because of his words.”

Minhyuk lets out a sigh of relief and is apparently convinced that I’m okay. The guy from before appears behind Minhyuk and he looks angry.

“What the hell are you doing!?” he yells and Minhyuk turns around to face him. “I could ask you the same thing,” Minhyuk says nonchalantly and the guy clenches his teeth, “you tried to hook up with the wrong girl.”

“Oh yeah? Says who?” the guy asks mockingly. “Me,” I recognize my brother’s voice and then he steps up next to me. “Hoon-ah,” I exhale and grab his hand. I stand a little behind him and cling to his arm. The guy looks really angry and I felt intimidated. But with my brother by my side, I feel a lot safer.

“And who might you be? Her boyfriend?” the guy asks and Ilhoon clenches his fists. “No, I’m her brother,” Ilhoon says and the guy frowns a bit, “and I suggest you back off and leave her alone.”

The guy takes a step back and looks at bit uncomfortable. When I turn my head I see that the rest of the band members are standing behind us. Even Ji Hyun and Ji Min have joined them. It’s six guys against one and obviously the smartest thing would be to back down. The guy scoffs and tries to look unaffected when he quickly walks away.

“Thanks guys,” I say and smile at them. “No need to thank us,” Eunkwang says and returns my smile. “Yeah, no one’s touching our manager unpunished,” Peniel says and pats my shoulder. “You’re okay right? He didn’t do anything to you?” Ilhoon asks and I look at him. “Minhyuk came right in time,” I say and Ilhoon looks at Minhyuk. “Thanks hyung,” he says and Minhyuk shakes his head. “Like Eunkwang said, no one’s touching her unpunished. She’s important to me as well,” he says and I widen my eyes a bit. But Ilhoon isn’t bothered by Minhyuk’s words because he just nods and looks at me again.

“I think it’s best if we go home,” he says and I nod. He my hair once and then leads me out of the club. We walk to my car and Ilhoon gets behind the wheel.

“You must have been pretty scared,” he says and looks at me, “you only call me Hoon when you’re scared or flustered.”

I blush a little and look at my hands. “The guy looked pretty angry and I’m sure he’s drunk too. I was afraid he would do something stupid and start a fight,” I say and Ilhoon chuckles. “Don’t worry. The guys and I got your back. We will protect you from anything,” he says and I smile slightly. Then Ilhoon turns on the engine and drives towards our apartment.

 

It’s Monday and today feels especially boring. Normally I don’t have a problem being at school, but today I just wish to be anywhere but here. There’s still five minutes till class starts and I just wish I could go home. I rest my head on the table and sigh heavily. Then suddenly the girls in my class start mumbling and they sound very excited.

“Oh my god he’s so hot!” one says to her friend. “He’s beyond hot! I wonder what he’s doing here though,” the friend responds. “Maybe he’s going to be in our class from now on!” the first girl says and they both squeak from excitement. I wonder if this guy they’re talking about really is so amazing. So I lift my head and follow their eyes. My mouth drops open when I see Minhyuk standing in front of the blackboard. He meets my eyes and a bright smile spreads across his lips. The girls squeak again while Minhyuk jogs up the stairs towards my seat. He stops right next to my table and looks at me. Then he starts packing my things while I just watch. Then he throws my bag over his shoulder and takes my hand.

“What are you doing?” I finally ask and Minhyuk’s smile turns playful. “Taking you out,” he just says and pulls me to my feet. “Where to?” I ask as we start walking down the stairs. He turns his head and looks at me. “Anywhere but here,” he says and I can’t help but smile as I follow him out of class.

We get into his car and he puts my bag in the backseat.

“How did you know?” I ask as he starts the engine. “Know what?” he asks as he drives out from the parking lot. “That I needed to get away,” I say and Minhyuk looks at me. Then he smiles and returns his attention to the road. “Maybe it’s a connection we have,” he says and winks at me. I blush and look away. “Did I say something wrong?” he asks and I shake my head. “You said something very right.”

He chuckles and I smile slightly. I know it’s not very smart to ditch school and I would normally never have agreed to it, but for some reason I didn’t have any problem following Minhyuk out of class. Ever since Ilhoon returned I started to change. I’m doing things I didn’t do before and I don’t care as much about what my parents would say. Ilhoon has always been able to make me feel more free. And that’s the reason why I never want him to leave my side again. I want to be with my brother for the rest of my life. If I just have my brother, I don’t need anything else.

Suddenly the car stops and I look around. I have never been in this neighborhood before.

“Where are we?” I ask and Minhyuk doesn’t answer but just gets out of the car. I get out as well and run to his side. “Where are you taking me?” I ask again and he looks at the building in front of us. “To a very special place,” he says and I ask where that is. He turns his head and looks at me with a mischievous smile. “My apartment.”