Wings of an angel

My Brother is in a Band

 

 

We reach the café and we both get out of the car.

“Not a word,” I remind him and he signals that he understands. We enter the café and he winks at me before walking down the stairs to the basement. I can’t help but smile. The fact that we have this secret together that no one can know about is kind of thrilling. I feel like I’m doing something I shouldn’t but it doesn’t make me feel bad at all. Maybe it’s just because it’s all still new and I don’t quite yet understand how this will change my everyday life. Though I’m pretty sure I won’t stop smiling like an idiot in the next few days. Just thinking about Minhyuk being my boyfriend makes me all fuzzy inside. I feel like one of those girls I used to hate because they always talked about how perfect their boyfriend was and how much they loved him. I’m think I’m now one of those girls. I am without a doubt love-struck. Unfortunately I can’t tell anyone how perfect Minhyuk is and how much I like. Except for Ji Hyun. I’m going to tell her about it. She will be happy for me and support us. And most importantly, she’ll keep it a secret.

I walk over to the counter where Ilhoon is standing.

“What took you so long?” he asks and I shrug. “I’m a bad driver,” I say so I don’t have to explain further or come up with a better excuse. “Tell me something I don’t know,” Ilhoon says and I hit his arm. He laughs and ruffles my hair. I push him away while smiling and walk away.

I sit in the corner and do my homework. Or more like I’m trying to do my homework, but I get distracted all the time. By the incredibly hot guy walking around with the cutest smile on his face. If I continue like this I’m going to hate myself by the end of the week. I manage to look away as Peniel comes over and sits down by my table. He looks tormented and guilty.

“Heejin…” he mumbles and looks at his feet. “What is it Peniel?”   

He hesitates for a long while and then reaches down in his pocket. He takes something up and lays it in front of me on the table. It’s a little see-through plastic bag with white powder. My eyes widen as I realize what it is and I look at Peniel’s face.

“I met Danny yesterday and I couldn’t resist,” he mumbles and I squint. I get up, hit the back of his head and scold him with every possible cussword. He takes it all in because he knows he did something wrong. Finally I calm myself down and look at him with a serious expression.

“Have you taken any yet?” I ask and he shakes his head. He looks me directly in the eye and I know he isn’t lying. I nod and put the little plastic bag in my pocket.

“You’re coming with me,” I say and grab his arm. “Where to?” he asks and gets up. “We’re gonna get rid of this together,” I say and pat my pocket. Then I turn around and wave to catch Ilhoon’s attention. He looks at me and I explain that I’ll take Peniel somewhere. Ilhoon doesn’t ask where or why. He just nods and I leave the café with Peniel.

Peniel and I are standing on the shore of Han River. I thought I would make Peniel throw it away where he doesn’t have a chance of getting it back. And where no one else will find it. I look at Peniel and he returns my gaze. I take the little bag out from my pocket and give it to him.

“Take control of it and throw it away,” I say and close his fingers around what embodies his weakness and greatest fear. Peniel swallows and closes his eyes.

“What if it happens again? What if I can’t resist the next time Danny wants to sell me something?” Peniel asks and I take a deep breath. I put my hand on his cheek and gently caress his cheekbone with my thumb. “Rome wasn’t built in one day,” I say and Peniel sighs, “we’ll take it one day at a time and you shouldn’t expect too much of yourself. You’re strong, but only as strong as a human can be. You won’t be cured overnight, and that’s okay. It will take time and I’ll be there every step of the way. I promise.”

Peniel opens his eyes and there are tears in them. But there’s also determination and he turns away from me to face the river. He clenches his fist around the little plastic bag and then throws it with all of his might. It lands in the water far out and sinks. Peniel looks at me with relief in his face and I smile.

“I’m proud of you,” I say and his hair. “Heejin,” he says and I nod, “why are you doing this?”

I frown and ask what he means. “It’s not that I’m not grateful, ‘cause I am. I just don’t understand why you care so much. You haven’t known me for that long but still you act so loving towards me. Towards all the guys actually. You also help Changsub take care of Taekwoon and let him be himself without having to hide. Why?”

I smile slightly and reach for his hand. “I do it because you guys are like family. Scratch that, you’re better than family,” I say and Peniel looks at little taken aback, “I want to protect all of you. Especially because it seems like all of you have had struggles and it hasn’t been easy for any of you.”

Peniel lowers his gaze and looks at his shoes. “It’s true that all of us have had our struggles throughout the years,” he mumbles and sighs, “but it has probably been toughest for Minhyuk hyung.”

“What did you say?” I ask and Peniel shakes his head. “It’s nothing. Let’s go back.”

He pulls his hand out of my grip and walks past me. I wonder what he meant about Minhyuk having had it the toughest. I want to ask Peniel for more details but still I don’t want to hear about it from anyone else than Minhyuk. Though this has made me curious. Just what kind of past does Minhyuk have? And will it be bad enough to change how I feel about him?

 

When Peniel and I return to the café the boys have just closed up. Peniel heads downstairs to change and I see my brother sitting in the corner. He gets up and comes over.

“Is something wrong?” I ask and he shakes his head. “The band is not practicing today because we have some things to take care of,” he says and I nod to show that I understand, “and don’t stay up and wait for me. I’ll sleep at Eunkwang’s place so you have to be alone tonight. Is that okay?”

“I was alone before you moved in so I’ll be fine. Just call me so I know you’re safe,” I say and he agrees to that. “Oh and by the way, Minhyuk said he wasn’t feeling well so I said you would give him a ride home. He’s waiting for you outside.”

I raise an eyebrow but don’t ask any questions. Then the rest of the band comes up from the basement and they all leave. I on the other hand head outside to find Minhyuk leaning against my car. He smiles as soon as he sees me.

“Ilhoon said you weren’t feeling well, but you look fine to me,” I say and Minhyuk smiles mischievously. “That’s because I’m totally fine,” he says and I squint a little. “So you lied. Why?”

“Because I wanted to spend some alone time with you,” he says and gets in the car without further explanation. And he even takes the driver’s seat. I walk around the car and get in the passenger seat.
“Are you driving?” I ask and he nods. I don’t even want to discuss it with him. Because I too want to spend some alone time with him. I hand him the car keys and he drives the car out from the parking lot.

He parks the car behind the apartment complex where I live.

“Do you want to spend alone time here?” I ask and he nods as he turns the car engine off. He gives me back my keys and get out of the car. We enter the complex and take the elevator to the 31st floor. He follows me to my apartment and I open the door. He walks in as if he lived here himself and throws himself on the couch with the remote control. He zaps through the channels on TV while I make some dinner. Somehow it all feels very natural. Is if we have been living together for months or even years. I smile to myself and give him some food.

We spend the rest of the evening cuddled up on the couch. We watch movies and talk. I don’t think I have been this happy in a long time, if ever. Maybe except for when I found Ilhoon in front of my apartment. Nether less I enjoy every moment with Minhyuk and don’t want him to leave. But it’s getting quite late and finally I manage to get up from the couch.

“I have to go to bed so it would be best if you went home now,” I say and Minhyuk gets up as well. “Why bother going home when I can just sleep here?” he says and my eyes widen. “Mwo!?” I exclaim but Minhyuk just smiles and enters my room. I quickly follow him and find him lying on my bed. “What are you doing?” I ask and he shrugs. “Getting comfy. Want to join me?” he asks and I grimace. “Look, I can accept the fact that you want to sleep here. But can’t you at least sleep in Ilhoon’s bed?” I ask and Minhyuk shakes his head. “If I sleep there he’ll know I’ve been here and then we’ll get caught,” he says and I bite my lip. That’s true. Ilhoon’s not stupid and he’ll figure out what’s going on if Minhyuk sleeps in his bed tonight.

“Fine. You take my bed, then I’ll sleep on the couch,” I say and turn around to leave the room. “Forget about it,” he says and grabs my arm. Then he pulls me down on the bed and puts his arms around me. My back is against his chest and I fight to get out of his embrace. But apparently he doesn’t plan on letting me go.

“Don’t be shy, Heejin. I’m your boyfriend and this is normal. So stop fighting it and let me hold you,” he says and tightens his grip around me. I try one last time to get free but fail.

“Just for a while then,” I say and can imagine Minhyuk’s triumphant smile. “That’s more like it,” he says and I begin to relax. Soon my eyelids get heavy and I yawn. I turn around in Minhyuk’s embrace and rest my head against his chest. He kisses the top of my head and I smile. I get even sleepier while I’m listening to his steady heartbeat and breathing. Soon my conscience slips into a deep sleep while I still have a smile on my face.

 

When I wake up I’m alone in the bed. Was it all a dream? Has Minhyuk never been here? I look around and see a T-shirt on the floor. I recognize it as Minhyuk’s and smile. He’s here. Then I look at the clock on my table. It’s six in the morning. I still have one and a half hours before I have to leave for school. I get out of bed and realize I’m still wearing the same clothes as yesterday. I quickly change into something more comfortable. I put on a pair of shorts and an oversize T-shirt. Then I leave my room and see Minhyuk standing in front of the picture window. He’s not wearing any t-shirt and his back is completely exposed. Which reveals something that makes my heart skip a beat and my breathing to stop. On his back is a tattoo of big beautiful folded wings. It looks like they are coming out from between his shoulder blades. I step forward and close up the wings look really realistic. As if Minhyuk would be able to spread them and fly away. I gently touch his back with trembling fingertips. A shiver runs through Minhyuk’s body and I wonder if it’s because of my touch.

“What do you think?” he asks and I smile slightly. “They’re beautiful,” I say without even realizing it. But looking at them something suddenly makes sense. The fortune teller’s words. She said that someday I would understand what the wings meant. Now I understand. Everything falls into place and it can only mean one thing. Minhyuk is the person I was fated to meet. But I also remember something else the fortune teller said. That the person I was fated to meet would either be the best or the worst thing that could happen to me. While my hand is resting on Minhyuk’s back I can feel his heartbeat against my palm. Though I’m very happy now it could all change. I still need to find out if Minhyuk is my savior, or if he’ll ruin me. 

 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

So now the wings were revealed ^^ What do you think? Is Minhyuk good or bad for Heejin and what do you think his past could be all about? 

And it would mean a lot if you would comment, upvote and subscribe ^^ I'm always in need of feedback :D