Changsub’s secret

My Brother is in a Band

 

 

In the following week the guys use the basement whenever they have time. It’s a little hard to find days where all of them have time because most of them have to work. And three of the members still go to school, but like Ilhoon said, they don’t really show up for class and the teacher couldn’t care less. So much for higher education. But I on the other hand attend school every day and after my last class I hurry to my store and go down to the basement. Whoever doesn’t have work at that time will be there practicing. The only one who is always there is Changsub. He doesn’t go to school and he doesn’t have a job. His parents are rich and he comes from the same background as Ilhoon and me. Like Ilhoon he ran away because the lifestyle didn’t suit him. There is a rumor going around among the fans of BTOB that Changsub ran away for another reason too but they don’t know the exact reason. When I asked the band members none of them would tell me. I guess Changsub himself will tell me when he feels like it.

After school on Friday I hurry to the store and down to the basement. Changsub is the only one there and he looks up when I enter.

“Hi Heejin,” he says and I nod as a greeting. “No one else here?” I ask and he shakes his head. “Just you and me,” he says and adjusts his drum kit a little. He is about to start playing when I hear a voice from upstairs.
“Do you hear that?” I ask and Changsub listens. I hear the voice again and it sounds like it’s calling Changsub’s name. I glance at him and it looks like he heard it too. We both leave the basement and walk upstairs. In the middle of my store is a girl who looks like she is only a few years older than me and holding her hand is a little boy, probably not older than five. I guess they got in here because Changsub left the front door open. The day after the boys made the basement their practice room I made a copy of the key for all the members so they could let themselves in whenever they wanted. Though they usually come in through the backdoor.

I don’t recognize the girl or the child so I look confused at Changsub. When I see his face it’s obvious that he knows them. He takes a few steps forward without taking his eyes off of the little boy.

“Do you have any idea how hard it was to find you? I had to go to one of your members’ workplace to find out where you were,” the girl says and Changsub finally takes his eyes off of the boy and looks at her.

“Why were you looking for me in the first place?” he asks and his voice is calm, not giving a hint to what’s going on inside his head. I really can’t figure out what’s going on and who these people are or what their connection to Changsub is.

The girl sighs and pulls the boy in front of her. “I was looking for you because you need to look after Taekwoon,” she says and I’m guessing Taekwoon is the little boy. “Why? When we last saw each other you said you would take care of him by yourself,” Changsub says still showing no emotions. “Things changed since then,” she says and Changsub raises an eyebrow. “What changed?” he asks and the girl bites her lower lip. “I have a boyfriend now,” she mutters and doesn’t meet Changsub’s gaze, “I don’t have the time for him anymore and since you don’t have school or a job I figured you could take him. Your parents still send you money right?”

Changsub is silent for a few seconds and then he sighs. “Yeah they do. But do you really think that just because I have money and time, I can take good care of him? The way I live is not how a child should grow up.”

The girl also sighs and the boy’s hair. “You can take care of him. You are his father after all.”

My eyes widen and I gasp for air. The little boy is Changsub’s son!?

Changsub runs a hand through his hair and glances at the little boy, who looks right back at him with a gaze that seems way too mature for his age.

“Please Changsub. I know you love him and I know you will take good care of him,” the girl says and gently pushes the child towards Changsub. Taekwoon looks up at his father and then puts his little arms around Changsub’s thigh. Changsub looks surprised and none of them say anything. Then after a few seconds Changsub looks at the girl with a determined look.

“I’ll take him,” he says and the girl looks relieved. “Thank you,” she says and gives him a light kiss on the cheek, “I would stay a bit but I have to go to work now.”

Changsub nods and after saying goodbye to Taekwoon she leaves. Changsub removes his son’s arms from around his thigh and crouches down in front of him. Changsub tells his son that everything is going to be okay and that they are going to live together from now on. Taekwoon nods and then Changsub gets up again. He looks at me for the first time since we got up here and I don’t really know what to say or do. Changsub puts a hand on his son’s back and gently pushes him forward while walking towards me. They stop in front of me and I can’t help but feel a bit awkward because I feel like I witnessed something I shouldn’t.

“Well now there is no reason to hide it anymore,” Changsub says and puts his hand on top of Taekwoon’s head, “the girl from before is my ex-girlfriend and this is my son Park Taekwoon.”

I look at Taekwoon and smile as friendly as possible. I have never been good with kids. I look back at Changsub and ask: “Why are you not together with her anymore?”

“It just didn’t work,” he says and shrugs. “So you haven’t seen Taekwoon since you broke up?” I ask and Changsub shakes his head. I look at the little boy who seems surprisingly calm everything considered. “So what are you gonna do now?” I ask and Changsub bites his lower lip. “I guess I’m going to get a job and do whatever it takes to take proper care of my son and be a good role model.”

With those words he takes Taekwoon’s hand and leaves the store with him. On the way out of the door they walk past Minhyuk who is on his way in. He looks confused but doesn’t ask Changsub anything. Instead he walks over to me and asks: “Wasn’t that Changsub’s son Taekwoon?”

My eyes widen as I look at him. “You know Taekwoon?” I ask and Minhyuk nods. “Once Changsub was very drunk and told me everything about his son. He even showed me a picture his ex-girlfriend sent to him.”

I hesitate for a while before I ask if he can tell me what Changsub told him. Minhyuk also hesitates for a while and then nods.

“Five years ago Changsub and Sunyoung, that’s the name of his ex-girlfriend, had been dating for about a year. By then Sunyoung realized she was pregnant and Changsub’s parents found out about it. As you know Changsub is from a rich family, like yourself, and they weren’t very happy about it. Rumors spread in the world of rich people and they didn’t want others to know that their son would have a child at an early age. Especially not when the girl was from a normal family and they weren’t even married. They felt embarrassed so they asked Changsub to make Sunyoung have an abortion,” Minhyuk says and I gape. “How awful,” I say and Minhyuk nods. “Because of that Changsub started hating his parents and ran away with Sunyoung. After Sunyoung had given birth to Taekwoon, Changsub instantly loved him with all his heart. But when Sunyoung broke up with him, he said that she should take care of their son. Changsub didn’t feel like he could give Taekwoon what he deserves.”

I feel tears in my eyes. If I ever felt like my life was hard it’s nothing compared to what Changsub went through. I will never look at him the same.

“Changsub still refuses to see his parents though they keep sending money. They never once asked about their grandchild and Changsub doesn’t tell them anything either,” Minhyuk says and sighs, “but Changsub never once forgot about Taekwoon. He thinks about him all the time and he adores that child. There is no doubt in my mind that he loves that boy with all his heart and only wants the best for him. That’s the reason why he stayed away. He didn’t want to be a bad influence on Taekwoon.”

I feel a tear run down my cheek and I quickly wipe it away. “So now that he’s going to take care of Taekwoon and find a job, do you think he’ll leave the band?” I ask and Minhyuk shrugs. “I honestly don’t know. But no matter what he chooses, I’m sure the members will support him in any way possible,” he says and I nod in agreement. And then I suddenly have an idea.

“It’s perfect,” I say and Minhyuk looks confused. Going from a gloomy expression to a bright smile is also a bit weird I guess. “What is?” he asks. “If Changsub needs to get a job, take care of his son and practice with the band I have the perfect solution,” I say and Minhyuk looks more and more confused by the second. “And what is that?”

“He can just work here!” I say and Minhyuk looks at me as if I should be looked up somewhere in a straitjacket. “You know that this is an empty building right?” Minhyuk says and I scoff. “Of course I’m not stupid,” I say but Minhyuk doesn’t look convinced, “I’m going to make this store into a café and have Changsub work here.”

A bright smile then spreads across Minhyuk’s lips. “That’s perfect!” he says and finally joins in on my excitement, “then can I work here too?”

“Sure!” I say and then get another idea, “actually all of you should come work here! Then you can work during the day and all get off work at the same time. Then you go right then to the basement and practice. It’s perfect!”

Minhyuk agrees with me and we quickly call all the members to tell them about my idea. All of them agree to work at my café when it’s done and they all think it’s a great idea. Then I call my father and tell him about my plans to turn my empty store into a café. He is excited that I finally decided to do something with what he gave me and he promises he will get it done as quickly as possible. I make sure to tell him to leave the basement alone and then I hang up. I suddenly feel really excited about this idea and can’t wait for the café to get done. And more than anything I can’t wait to tell Changsub the good news.

 

That night Ilhoon comes home late and I stayed up to wait for him. He is surprised to see me sitting on the couch as soon as he walks in.
“I thought you were asleep,” he says as he walks over. “I can’t sleep unless I know you’re home and safe,” I say and he grins. “You're hopeless,” he says and gently kisses my forehead, “but if you didn’t care about me who would.”

I smile and watch him as he walks to the kitchen that’s connected to the living room. “By the way I want to thank you. Once again you helped out my band. Good job manager,” he says while he looks in the cabinets for food. “I was going to make something out of the building anyway and this seemed like the perfect solution,” I say and he chuckles. “You’re right about that. My dear sister only gets good ideas. You got the brain and I got the looks. And after all, brains aren't everything.”
“Are you insulting me right now?” I ask and am not sure how to interpret his words. “On the contrary my dear sister, it was a very big compliment,” he says and I frown. “I will probably never understand you or your sarcasm,” I say and Ilhoon smirks as he takes a bite from a loaf of bread. “That is one of your many charms,” he says and I roll my eyes. “That’s fine Ilhoon. Now go read a book with pictures.”

“I hate you,” he says and I can’t help but smile. “I love you too,” I say and he makes a mocking grimace that only makes my smile wider. Ever since Ilhoon moved in, my life has become brighter and a lot more fun. I can’t wait to see what will happen next in my new hectic but exciting life.