First Present

Bridge the Spectrum

 

They ran until their legs were shaking and the streets were faintly lit. Ryeowook had no idea where they had run off to, having let Kyuhyun drag him along. If the latter hadn’t been death-gripping his hand, he was sure that those gangsters would’ve already caught and beaten him.

Snow had only just begun to sprinkle down again as they stopped on a sidewalk, panting. Ryeowook clutched his own chest, white puffs of breath blooming in front of his lips. Laughing and coughing, he glanced over at Kyuhyun who didn’t seem to be in much better condition.

“We good?” Ryeowook gasped.

“Yeah, think so,” he swallowed, cheeks bright red. His scarf was undone, exposing a sweaty neck. Kyuhyun exhaled loudly. His eyes lifted and wandered around the area. “I’m not sure where we are.”

“Me neither,” he shook his head. Ryeowook looked up, searching for a vantage point to pinpoint their location. “Parking garage.” Unable to explain, he inhaled deeply over and over again, grabbing Kyuhyun’s hand and leading him toward a towering dark structure at the end of the block. There were a few cars parked in the above ground lot, each floor spiraling higher and higher.

Quickly catching on, Kyuhyun allowed himself to be led, pounding on his chest to calm the racing of his heart. He must’ve been kidding with himself when he thought all of that dance practice had made him super fit. His current condition was only slightly better than before.

Then again, a part of him was having fun – probably because he had already gone delirious. His stomach felt so empty and his head was light. The sheer ridiculousness of the current situation was also taking its toll on his mindset. Of all the ways he had imagined spending the winter holiday, this was not one of them. Running away from bad people with Kim Ryeowook was never part of the plan. More than that, why was he even there?

Was it really just luck?

“Here,” Ryeowook suddenly said, veering into the parking garage. They navigated through the semi-darkness to a lit doorway with a sign hanging above it that read: Restroom

Fluorescent lights struck him immediately, making Kyuhyun wince. Frowning, he slowed his steps as Ryeowook released his hand. The latter leaned over the sink, cupping his hand as water poured into his palm. Drinking it up fervently, his shoulders relaxed and a look of pure bliss crossed his face. Kyuhyun copied him, almost at the sweetness of the tap water pouring down his parched throat. Life seemed to fill him again with each gulp and he was positive that Ryeowook was experiencing the same heavenly sensation.

Cold water splashed Kyuhyun’s cheek and he winced.

“Here, let me help you.”

Kyuhyun looked up to see Ryeowook wiping his mouth and walking over to a cabinet in the restroom. A first aid kit was on the top shelf. Dragging it down, he walked back over to Kyuhyun, nodding for him to sit on the counter top.

“I can do it,” he offered, reaching for the box.

“That’s too pitiful,” Ryeowook grinned teasingly, “just let me do it. I’ll feel guilty if I let an injured person fix himself up while I do nothing.”

Grudgingly, Kyuhyun nodded and edged his way onto the counter, leaning forward for Ryeowook to clean the wound on his cheek with rubbing alcohol. They were quiet, Kyuhyun’s eyes never leaving the slightly flushed face of his savior.

The silence stretched.

Ryeowook slid the alcohol soaked cotton down to the corner of Kyuhyun’s mouth, gently dabbing at the cut and scratches made by his father’s knuckles. Flinching back, he lowered his eyes finally, bitterness filling him at the harsh memory. How was he supposed to go home to that? His parents probably hated him.

Just a bit ago, he had been thinking it was better to be out on the street than with his family, but now that there was no immediate danger, he had reverted back to disdain.

“Why were you there tonight?” Kyuhyun finally spoke, lifting his eyes to Ryeowook who was unwrapping a band aid.

“I could ask you the same thing,” he returned, giving him a look. Grudgingly, Kyuhyun smiled. Ryeowook carefully applied ointment to the cotton patch before pressing the bandage to the cut on his cheek. His fingertips slid across the plastic surface, smoothing out the wrinkles delicately. “I was at Hyungsik’s house. Halfway home I realized that I forgot…,” Ryeowook paused, unsure whether to say that it was his scarf or if it was a borrowed scarf. Shaking his head, he went on, “Well, I forgot something and was headed back. I got lost on the way and stumbled across a crazy college kid messing around with some gangsters.”

Kyuhyun smiled wryly. “Subtle.”

“You were not.”

He couldn’t stop the laugh that bubbled up. Blood rushed to his cheeks at the teasing and his eyes scrunched slightly from embarrassment. “Why weren’t you with your family? It’s Christmas Eve.”

“Again,” Ryeowook thumbed a smaller bandage onto the corner of Kyuhyun’s lips, “I could ask you the same thing. Answer some of my questions, please?”

“Sorry,” he sighed. “I wasn’t picking a fight with them. I was looking for a place to stay the night, but on the way I got into some trouble with those people.” Kyuhyun stood up as the other male put away the first aid kit. “Remember when I told you this morning that my dad found out about the music major change?”

Ryeowook nodded, heading out of the bathroom with Kyuhyun right behind him. They walked through the empty parking garage, taking cold stone steps up to the top floor. Glassless windows allowed moonlight and stark white skies into the shadowy stairwell. “You never told me what happened.”

“We got into an argument at brunch. Things didn’t go well. I left my phone behind too so I don’t know what’s going on back home.” Kyuhyun wrapped his scarf around his neck again, feeling the cold air once again tickling his throat. “It’s been a pretty ty day.” Glancing at Ryeowook, he said, “Your turn again.”

“I’m not invited to family gatherings anymore,” he shrugged, “we aren’t close.”

“But…,” he trailed off, not knowing what to say. Was it offensive to ask why? He didn’t know too much about Ryeowook’s family situation, but if he were to put himself in the former’s shoes, what would it be like? Would Kyuhyun really be alright with breaking off all contact with his family? Wasn’t that his current plan? Then again, calling it a plan was definitely a stretch.

If he thought about it, he wasn’t serious at all about running away. Inside, he knew that whatever was straining their relationship right now was temporary. His parents could never disown him. He just knew it.

But maybe that wasn’t the case for everyone.

“It’s really fine,” Ryeowook smiled faintly as they neared the top, “I’m not upset about it.”

And for some reason, Kyuhyun believed that smile. He would never condone the absolute break of a family, but listening to the way Ryeowook spoke, he was positive that whatever complicated family dynamics he bore were perfectly under control. That was enough to satisfy Kyuhyun’s curiosity.

“Wow…,” Ryeowook breathed, eyes widening. He shuffled over to the edge of the parking garage roof, leaning over the thick concrete wall. It hit him at his waist, heels rising off the ground as he tried to see further.

Kyuhyun joined him, grinning at the cityscape laid out below. Different colored lights flashed all around, peering through the blackness. A maze of streets stretched through the map of buildings, slithering like black water. He studied it for a long minute, unable to see the beauty of it. Part of him was awed by the lights, but more than anything, he saw the dirt and grime and absolute pollution.

A snowflake landed on the tip of his nose and he looked up, seeing the white fluff slowly trailing down. Smiling softly, he turned to Ryeowook, seeing the latter gazing up at the sky as well. “I really hate winter,” Kyuhyun remarked, feeling snow melting in his palms.

“Really? I think it’s kind of nice,” he chuckled.

“Spring is better. I get cold too easily, I think,” Kyuhyun admitted. Pausing briefly, he set his hands back on the concrete wall, leaning over it, “But when it’s like this, maybe it isn’t so bad.”

“Normally the wind is the worst part,” Ryeowook added, nodding and trying to tug the collar of his jacket higher up.

“Are you cold?” he laughed softly, watching as his companion who was glaring. “I’m not teasing, it’s a question!” Kyuhyun defended, unwrapping his scarf.

Ryeowook’s eyes widened. “Oh no, keep your scarf! It’s fine. I’m really not freezing. It’s just chilly.”

“Calm down,” Kyuhyun scoffed, “as if I would give it up. You were the one who made fun of my long scarf last time.” He tossed half of the puffy scarf around Ryeowook’s shoulders, tugging it firmly around his throat. “We can share.”

They stood shoulder to shoulder, Ryeowook’s face practically disappearing in the fluffy muffler. “You might be too tall, Kyuhyun,” he stated, looking up at the male.

“I can go look for a stool for you,” he smirked.

Ryeowook kicked him, and Kyuhyun just laughed. Faintly, the sound of bells echoed through the night, growing louder and louder as the pair silenced their voices. They exchanged a look, realizing almost simultaneously what they were hearing.

“Merry Christmas!” Ryeowook blurted, quickly followed by Kyuhyun. He grinned at the latter’s pout. Sighing, he turned back toward the expansive city glinting darkly beneath a fall of snow. “Man…this might be the strangest way to start Christmas…ever.”

“Next year might be even weirder,” Kyuhyun corrected, “just wait and see. I’m always unpredictable.”

“Oh?” he glanced at the grinning young man, “I should probably avoid you at all costs next Christmas then.”

Kyuhyun shoved him lightly, earning a chuckle. Blinking, he suddenly reached into his pocket, tugging out a wrapped peppermint candy cane. “Here, you’re first present of Christmas Day.”

There was a moment of silence before Ryeowook tentatively took it, examining the candy. “Really…I’m making sure that we’re countries apart this time next year.”

“Hey! Is that how you respond to a present?” he frowned.

“I’m just kidding,” Ryeowook leaned his head against Kyuhyun’s shoulder, smiling as he unwrapped the sweet. Stuffing the crinkled plastic into his pocket, he snapped the candy in half, holding it out to the surprised male. “If I collapse from candy poisoning, so will you.”

“You know what, I’m just gonna take back the entire thing,” he reached for Ryeowook’s half, but the latter pulled away laughing.

“Take a joke, Kyu!” he managed to say between giggles, placing the candy in his mouth. “I can’t wait to tell my big brother that the first present I received today was an old candy cane.”

Kyuhyun shoved him again, trying not to laugh. The scarf stretched and pulled them back together as they stumbled over their own feet, gripping the ledge for support. “You’re such a jerk! I’m never getting you another present!”

Ryeowook just smiled, though.

 

 

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Hello everyone! ^^

I just want to say that I read all of your comments and they really spurred me on. I haven't had the chance to reply to them during this hectic month, but I promise I will. I can't thank you enough for the kindness and support. Really.

Thank you again and Please look forward to more updates!