5 October 2013

Bridge the Spectrum

 

5 October 2013

Cars filled with families drove through the front gates of St. Angela’s College. The sky was clear and blue, warm sun clashing with the autumn chill that had already begun to roll through the campus. Trees were only beginning to change shades, losing their deep green sheen. The lawns were manicured, their curbs running directional banners to parking. Balloons and ribbon bows curled around lamp posts, swaying in the breeze as they welcomed children and adults alike to Homecoming Weekend.

Youngwoon blanched at the large gates, steering his glossy black car around the curving driveway leading up to the school. “Seriously, it’s way too pretentious.”

The slim man sitting in the passenger seat just chuckled. His hair was black and feathery, crescent-shaped eyes glinting with amusement. A dimple pressed one corner of his smiling mouth. “Don’t be so mean. It fits Ryeowook, I think.”

“Being pretentious?” he cocked an eyebrow.

Leeteuk slapped his shoulder. “Stop it. You’ll hurt his feelings,” he chuckled, eyes wandering out the darkened windows. There were already games set up all around campus, as well as refreshment carts filled with different drinks and snacks. Mascots of different animals walked around with advertisements hanging from their necks and balloons in their covered hands. “Are any of those their school’s mascot?”

“Nope.”

He laughed, covering his mouth as a bunny waved at their car. Rolling down the window, Leeteuk stuck his hand out, waving back. Youngwoon immediately snatched his friend’s wrist, yanking him back inside.

“Oh my god, why are you so embarrassing?” he grouched.

Leeteuk just laughed harder. “That bunny was so cute! C’mon, don’t be so moody.” He smiled at Youngwoon. “I know you’re excited to see your little brother. He’s always had it hard after all. If I was his brother, I would be worried about his well-being too.”

Sighing, Youngwoon turned into the parking lot. “He just has a habit of feeling more than thinking. Everything he says and does is honest, even at the risk of losing his family. Teuk…you know better than anyone how good a kid Ryeowook is.”

“That’s why you should calm down. He’s fine. If he wasn’t, he would’ve already called you crying or showed up at your doorstep with his little backpack, sobbing and begging to resign from college.”

They climbed out of the car, walking toward the dorm. Families passed them and proceeded forward by them. Music blared through the speakers from the stadium and the garden, sending the waves rippling through the campus. Youngwoon spotted Jongwoon standing outside of the dormitory. The RA was handing out fliers of some sort, chatting with various people who passed by.

Their eyes met and Jongwoon quickly bowed, flashing a smile. “It’s good to see you again,” he greeted, before turning to Leeteuk and bowing once more. “Very nice to meet you. Ryeowook told me all about his older brother’s best friend. I’m glad your military service went well.”

“Oh, thank you,” Leeteuk smiled easily, returning the courtesy. “Youngwoon went on and on about how great Wook’s RA is, so you must be him.”

Jongwoon nodded, looking slightly flustered. “I’m so happy to hear that.”

Youngwoon shoved Leeteuk who stumbled. “You’re so loud all the time!” he snapped, ignoring the male’s amusement. “Anyway, where’s the kid? He should be here to greet me properly.”

“Ah, actually…”

 

Kyuhyun yawned as they left the dining hall. The festivities had been growing more and more raucous with each passing hour. Although Eunhyuk had warned him about the excitement of Homecoming Weekend, he hadn’t really expected so much random entertainment. Everywhere he looked, there was something going on or food being served. The air stank like a county fair.

His eyes trailed around at the people he had eaten lunch with. They were all very easy to get along with and they still remembered him from last time. There was Kibum – who he thanked again for letting him stay the night, and Donghae – the guy Kibum clearly wanted to get with, Shindong – Eunhyuk’s roommate, and Siwon – an RA of Kibum’s dorm. They had introduced themselves as floormates, though they didn’t seem particularly close to the group of friends Eunhyuk had formed. Then again, watching Kibum, he could see that the guy had a knack for making friends. More and more, Kyuhyun wished he had dragged Henry along with him. The kid probably would’ve had fun.

Then again, perhaps G-Dragon would’ve refused to let him go. That seemed a likely response.

“Hey Kibum,” Kyuhyun called. The man in question turned around, slowing his pace until they were working side by side. “I forgot to ask earlier. Did your roommate finish that song?”

“Oh Ryeowook?” he grinned, “Yeah. After you helped him out a little, he wrote like a madman for days on end. He’s putting the final touches on the song.”

“Do you think he’ll let me hear it later?”

Kibum paused, looking rather uncertain. “Well actually, he has to help with Homecoming Weekend since he’s part of the Theatre Club. That’s why he couldn’t hang out today. Also, tomorrow he told me that he’ll be out all day with his brother. How long will you be here?”

“Until about six in the evening tomorrow,” Kyuhyun responded, seemingly depressed by the news. “I really wanted to meet him this time. His song has been stuck in my head ever since,” he admitted with a slight smile.

“Wow,” he laughed, “I’ll be sure to tell him that. He’ll probably freak out from the compliment.”

“Is it a compliment?” he blinked, “It’s the truth.” Kyuhyun looked around. “Then maybe I’ll see him tonight back at the dorm?”

Kibum’s brow furrowed. “I thought Eunhyuk wanted to take you to local club. He’s been raving about how he’s wanted to see this DJ perform for the longest time and you’re the only one who actually enjoys clubbing, you know, aside from Donghae.”

Disappointment rushed through him. Well, that certainly . He had never felt so dismayed before. It almost felt like rejection – almost. Only one person had ever really rejected Kyuhyun, but he didn’t like thinking about it. She was part of a shaky past he’d rather never revisit, if possible. Only during those dark moments when he felt the world shaking beneath his feet, did he dare open up those doors again.

Brushing off the discomfort, he sank back into conversation, attempting to forget both his rising memories and the words Heechul had spat at him the night before.

The scolding on love hadn’t been to deaf ears. He had heard them loud and clear, knowing full well that he was stupid for continuing to be with Sungmin. It was the same argument over and over again. They were trapped in an endless cycle.

Looking up, Kyuhyun saw his group chatting with one of the mascots. It was a cow, with big black eyes and pink cheeks. The costume was clearly one or two sizes too big. Around the person’s neck was a dry-erase board. Tied to waist was a belt holding various colored balloons, all of them bouncing against his back, tugging upward as if trying to drag the poor mascot off the ground.

“Well looks like I was wrong,” Kibum laughed, struggling to contain himself. He waved at Kyuhyun to come closer. “This is my roommate. He’s currently stuck helping the Theatre Club as an entertainer.”

Ryeowook swatted at the male who ducked and latched onto Donghae. A muffled voice came through the bulbous head piece, but nothing was discernible. Shoulders sagging, he flipped his dry-erase board around and scribbled furiously despite the taunts Eunhyuk and Donghae kept throwing at him.

“I think he looks cute,” Siwon remarked, smiling pleasantly.

“You’re saying that because you have to,” Donghae dismissed flatly, pulling on Ryeowook’s floppy tail. A sharp kick to the shin forced him away. Pouting, he wrapped his arms around the younger one’s waist, resting his head on his shoulder.

“I am not! He’s very cute!” the older male argued.

Ryeowook flipped his sign around, pushing it at them to read.

All of you are jerks!

Go away!

Without further ado, he swiveled and stomped off, Donghae still clinging to him. The older man whined, holding on with all his might as Eunhyuk and Kibum collapsed against each other in laughter. Kyuhyun watched the pair walk off, wondering how he should feel.

That odd person in a cow suit was Ryeowook – the creator of his favorite song, the writer of lyrics that played games with his soul, the composer of a musical score he knew without knowing.

What a horrifying disappointment.

***

The sun was setting quickly over the brick buildings. There was barely anyone else in the music wing, most of them off to dinner or elsewhere. Ryeowook tossed his sign onto a prop table in the practice room. It had been turned into a club preparation room just for Homecoming Weekend. A piano sat by the window, dust particles floating in the haze of orange and red light.

Ryeowook let out a long sigh, his face drenched with sweat. He tossed the cow head into a bin labeled: WASHING. There were several other animal heads already there and he wondered just how many of his club mates ditched out on their duties halfway through the day. Had he been the only feel to stick with it until the end of activities?

Ripping off the black mittens, he stretched his sticky fingers, wiping them on the furry suit. Reaching around, he tried to undo the ties on the back of the outfit, only to realize that his arms were too stubby and restrained. Struggling, he gritted his teeth and swung his arm back, yelping in pain when he felt his elbow crack. Dropping his arms, he rubbed his sore joint and sat down on the piano bench.

“Ryeowook?”

He lifted his head, smiling faintly when he saw Hyungsik walking toward him. The tall boy was wearing a Theatre Club shirt, a black apron tossed over one shoulder. “Oh hey,” he greeted, getting back on his feet, “How was your shift at the smoothie stand?”

“There were a lot of thirsty people,” Hyungsik answered wryly. He gave Ryeowook a once over before coming closer. “Do you want some help with your suit?”

Nodding a bit too quickly, Ryeowook shuffled around and showed his back to the other male. “I was trying to reach the ties, but I couldn’t get to them…,” he blushed, “sorry I’m so sweaty. I was working in this suit all day.”

“Don’t worry about it,” he shook his head, running his fingers over the surprisingly tight knots. “Hmm…that’s strange. It looks like they got tangled at some point. I think we’ll have to cut them. Do you have any scissors?” Hyungsik looked around the room, grimacing when he saw it was barren. When Ryeowook shook his head no, the tall one nodded. “Alright, just hold on. I’m going to go look for some. Be right back.” He flashed the desperate mascot a smile. “I promise I’ll be quick!”

“Okay…,” Ryeowook mumbled sadly, slumping back down on the piano bench.

Hyungsik disappeared out the door. Barely thirty seconds of silence had passed before he found himself turning toward the keys in boredom. There was nothing he could do anyway. His phone was back at the dorm and the only thing he had to occupy his time was the piano in front of him – not that he minded.

Ryeowook his lips, flexing his fingers before letting them rest against the cool white keys. His shoulder relaxed, eyes closing softly as he played out the slow melody. In the smallest, purest of voices, he sang.

A warm wind is blowing like it was that night

The flowers you lovingly planted have bloomed

Before I know it spring has come again

I still want to deeply sleep like it’s winter

You are so very far, so very far

To be honest I miss you every day

Even the very small, very small trivial things

make me think of you every day

Kyuhyun twirled a t-shirt in his hand, pushing open the door to a building marked: Music Department. He hadn’t expected to lose the others while playing that game. They said they were only going to jump in the moon bounce, but when he got over there, they had already disappeared. Glancing down at the t-shirt he had won, he wondered if it was really worth it.

Lifting it up, he shook it a bit and studied the size. Frowning, he let his eyes skim over the design of a music note bouncing down a staircase made of piano keys. Rainbow streaks curled out of it, spiraling down until it disappeared into the blue fabric of the shirt. “This is too small for me,” Kyuhyun muttered, crumpling it in his hand once more as he ventured down the hallway, searching for someone who might be able to tell him where he should go.

Eunhyuk had texted him saying that they were eating at the café instead of the dining hall. Stupidly, Kyuhyun had agreed to meet them instead of having someone come pick him up. The school wasn’t that big anyway. It couldn’t be super difficult to find anything.

Your comforting scent fills the room

in the flowers scattered around

Because I’m afraid one day I won’t be able to feel it

I want to take hold of even the air that you were in

Kyuhyun slowed to a stop, ears picking up on the soft music lulling through the hallway. There were only a few open rooms in the building’s main floor. All of them seemed to be practice rooms. Was there really a student working right now?

You are so very far, so very far

To be honest I miss you every day

“Is someone there?” he called, footsteps short and silent as he neared the room. His heart was beating, responding to the song. It was a bit different from what he normally hummed, but the resemblance was uncanny. That was the song.

Abruptly it stopped and there was the sound of shuffling. Kyuhyun quickened his steps, catching the edge of the doorway just as messy brown hair and a smooth pale nape disappeared beneath a furry mascot head. He stared at the familiar cow suit, feeling a mixture of emotions. A part of him was still as horrified as earlier, but another part wanted to laugh, while yet another part drowned in frustration.

“You…You’re Ryeowook, right?”