7 December 2013

Bridge the Spectrum

 

 

7 December 2013

It was quiet, except for that song which seemed to grow louder and louder until both of them were drowning. The pressure was warm, closing around them until nothing else seemed to exist.

Losing Sungmin felt so far away.

Being trapped by her felt like a broken dream washed away.

And in this very moment, standing with Ryeowook felt right.

“Keep your eyes closed, okay?” Kyuhyun spoke softly, sliding his hands away to gently turn the male around. Obediently, Ryeowook still had his eyes shut, his breaths coming out slow and steady now. Listening to the melody, Kyuhyun placed his hands on either side of the other’s head, fingertips brushing faintly in his hair. Slowly, he rested his forehead against Ryeowook’s, voice low and silky.

Your comforting scent fills the room

He caught his breath, closed his fingers over the backs of Kyuhyun’s hands. The latter continued singing, privately…softly.

in the flowers scattered around

Because I’m afraid one day I won’t be able to feel it

Warm brown eyes fluttered open, a chin tilting up slightly as their bowed gazes met. Ryeowook stared unabashed at the face which had faded from memory, slowly watching as nostalgia lessened its haze and gave him back one particular sunset.

I want to take hold of even the air that you were in

As Kyuhyun fell into silence, the little smile on his lips remained.

You are so very far, so very far

Ryeowook felt his heart jolt, body shaking ever so slightly at how honestly the lyrics tumbled from his lips.

To be honest I miss you every day

A small smirk cut Kyuhyun’s expression and Ryeowook couldn’t stop himself from laughing, smacking the back of the male’s hand lightly. The melody drew them back in, their bodies inching closer together until the tips of their shoes touched.

Even the very small, very small trivial things

make me think of you every day

Ryeowook sat on the well-lit stage, his mind far away as he sang until his voice echoed throughout the theatre. The audience below clung to each note as if he were delivering a divine message. His eyes were caught on someone though as he wound toward the end.

There, sitting front row and returning the gaze was Kyuhyun.

A day becomes months

It seems that even in my heart too a new spring has come…

He felt his fingers catch on his pants at the words, mind fluttering back to before the show had begun. But it was okay, because all of it was blending together. This song was one continuous time stream.

Kyuhyun’s breaths were shorter, fingers sliding a little deeper into Ryeowook’s hair, curling around his ears to hold him closer. He couldn’t stop his erratic heartbeat, lips quivering so softly.

You are in such a far away, far away, far off place

I believe to you every day is spring

Every day is another day to fall in love, to open your eyes and see the person who makes sense of an answer you can’t recall. That’s what Ryeowook thought, at least. He pressed his head harder against Kyuhyun’s, their noses brushing faintly.

On a far off day, a very far off future, if you see me again

And somehow, the smile they shared was only to be shared between them. Kyuhyun closed his eyes, as did Ryeowook. Their breaths mingled as the final line found itself freed.

Through the spotlights and static, they shared that twinkle of amusement – of affection, that couldn’t be properly understood yet.

“Tell me we were always together…”

A phone rang.

But even the cheering couldn’t tear them apart as it became a muffled noise filling what gaps existed in their shared spotlight.

 

“Who said you were allowed to sing that well?” Youngwoon ruffled his little brother’s hair, hugging him tightly.

Behind him, Leeteuk watched on, chuckling softly as he held a bouquet of sapphire blue roses. Ribbons and pearls burst out of the extravagant present. “Congratulations,” he grinned, opening his arms accept the hug Ryeowook was aiming for. He squeezed the small boy, kissing the top of his head.

Moments later, all of his friends were barreling into him and his bouquet, laughing and cheering. Eunhyuk grabbed him first, followed Donghae and Kibum. They were smiling maddeningly, mussing up Ryeowook’s clothes and hair. From the corner of his eye, he saw Kyuhyun who met his gaze behind a puffy looking red scarf.

Somehow, a laugh bubbled up inside of Ryeowook and he pointed at the large cloud of knitted wool. All of them turned to look at what he was indicating and immediately Eunhyuk started laughing too. “Why is it so big?” Ryeowook managed betweens giggles.

Kyuhyun blinked, looking offended. “My scarf is warm! That’s what matters!”

“You’re such a grandma,” Eunhyuk scoffed, snatching his wrist and dragging him into the huddle of excitement.

All of them started bouncing again, talking over one another in their attempts to say what their favorite parts of the performances were. From behind Ryeowook, he felt two arms wrap around his waist, pulling him out of the tangle of limbs. Squeaking, he turned his head, seeing Hyungsik smiling at him.

Quickly turning around, he threw his arms around the tall male, hugging him tightly. “You found it?” Hyungsik murmured against his ear, holding him close.

“Yeah…,” Ryeowook mumbled, buzzing with energy, “I think I did.”

“Oh, sorry, that’s mine,” his hands fell and his body pulled away. Kyuhyun watched, his own arms dropping in response as he tried to calm his quickening heart. Answering the call, Ryeowook turned slightly away, only now feeling the heat crawling up his face and pulsating where the warmth of Kyuhyun’s fingers lingered.

“Where are you?” Hyungsik asked through the phone, the sound of audience members crowding his voice with static.

“I was just practicing a bit,” he responded, “Everything is fine. Did you get a good seat?”

He chuckled. “Yeah, I did. I’m so excited to see you! Everyone is here with me too, if you can hear them.” Sure enough, Ryeowook caught the sound of his friends. “Eunhyuk said he got front row and refuses to move, so he’s not here,” Hyungsik explained.

“That’s okay! I’ll just watch him during the entire performance.”

“I’ll tell him you said that,” Hyungsik laughed.

Ryeowook mumbled his goodbyes and then turned around, expecting to see Kyuhyun, but he was already gone.

“Hey!” Henry’s voice jolted all of them, acting like a key to break their embrace.

Separating, Ryeowook waved back, immediately receiving another bone crushing hug. “You were amazing!” Henry gushed, eyes filled with admiration.

“That was amazing.”

Everyone turned, the hallway filling with hushed and poorly hushed screams of excitement as G-Dragon strode toward them. He was no longer wearing his exhibition clothing, opting for a black pea coat with a thickly fur lined collar, a mostly plain sweater and dark jeans. It was almost obvious to Henry and Kyuhyun that their mentor was already getting ready for bed.

Stifling their laughs, Henry approached Jiyoung first, giving him a hug. “Don’t forget that you were amazing too! I almost forgot that you were a superstar,” he teased.

“Yeah, yeah,” Jiyoung scoffed, smiling fondly nonetheless. He turned his attention back to Ryeowook though. “I think you may have beaten me with that voice and song of yours,” he watched the student flush bright red, but didn’t stop, “Next time, we’ll talk more.” Smoothly, he slid his business card into Ryeowook’s pocket, nodding once at him before herding Henry away. “Don’t stay out too late, Kyuhyun!”

The younger male made a face, not replying to the taunt. Glancing over at Ryeowook, he nudged his shoulder. “Don’t look so dumbstruck,” Kyuhyun murmured, chuckling.

Blinking and shaking his head, Ryeowook reached into his pocket, looking at the card in awe. “This is incredible…”

“G-Dragon has been looking for talent,” Kyuhyun explained so only they could hear, “he told us that he’s got something planned for this coming semester, but I don’t know exactly what yet.”

“Oh really? Wow,” he trailed off, barely catching his breath at the opportunities that seemed to be opening up for him. “What’s it like—”

“—you two are really friendly.”

Kyuhyun and Ryeowook stopped, turning around to see Eunhyuk eyeing them. Laughing a little, Ryeowook shook his head, attempting to explain, “Well, we sort of had a bonding moment earlier. I was panicking about my performance and Kyuhyun helped me out.”

“Ah,” he grunted, still skeptical.

Kibum patted Eunhyuk’s back. “I agree with you,” he grinned cheekily, “they act like they’re in their own little world. It’s a little annoying, don’t you think?”

“Very annoying,” Eunhyuk teased.

“I think it’s cute,” Donghae remarked, confused. “But I guess it’s also a little lonely for us.” At that, Kibum burst out laughing, throwing his arms around the male. Donghae laughed along as well, though he still wasn’t sure why.

Hyungsik closed his hand around Ryeowook’s, leaning over his shoulder. “Let’s go celebrate with everyone,” he kissed his cheek, hugging him with his free arm. “Kibum made reservations, right?” he looked over at his friend.

Nodding and coughing a little, he said, “Yup!” Glancing over at Youngwoon and Leeteuk, he quickly added, “There’s extra room too! Would both of you like to come?”

Leeteuk chuckled. “You kids go have fun. We’ll have Ryeo all to ourselves once winter break starts.”

“I wanna go!” Youngwoon huffed.

Leeteuk slapped his arm, frowning at him. “Let them go be young! We’re already old men!”

“Maybe you are! I’m still hip,” he argued.

Sighing, he led Youngwoon toward the door after throwing Ryeowook one more smile, “We’ll see you soon. Good luck with everything okay? I’m taking him back to the hotel.”

“Thank you for coming!” he called, waving as his brother grudgingly left.

“You know, I’ve been wondering for a while now…,” Kibum began as they all headed toward the exit, “but why is your brother’s fiancée always so busy?”

Ryeowook smiled. “She’s a flight attendant, so her schedule is super erratic. When she is around though, I really like it. I mean, Teukie-hyung is the best of course, but she’s a nice woman.”

“Is he a close family friend?” Hyungsik inquired.

“Yeah, Teukie-hyung used to live next door and he and my brother were friends before I was even born. I’m pretty sure he was at the hospital when my mom was pregnant too,” he stated, thinking about it, “Wow, he really is part of the family.”

Kyuhyun just listened silently, soaking up the information. He didn’t really know how to explain it, but even these mundane stories seemed interesting. Just being near Ryeowook felt like the right thing to be doing. Whatever it was about the male, he couldn’t pinpoint, but there was definitely something drawing them together. And even if he wanted to deny it, he had no way to – hell, everyone else seemed to notice too.

Eunhyuk tapped his shoulder, voice low. “Hey, did something happen? You look…better.”

A smile formed on his lips. “Yeah, I feel good.”