Then there were Four

The Risk of Flying

Mark and I walk off the elevator on the sixth floor, both of us acting to be extremely pissed, Julia comes running up to me and hugs me tightly. “Oh my god, are you alright? We all came back as soon as Mark called us and told us  what was going on!”

“About the only good he’s done.” I mutter hugging my friend tightly. “But yeah, it was just really annoying to be stuck in an elevator.” I tell her as she pulls away, Julia however proceeds to check me for any unseen injuries that I would have somehow missed.

“We both hit our heads against the wall when it stopped suddenly.” Mark mutters to Jinyoung when he asks. “I’m fine, it wasn’t anything too serious.” He says calmly.

Jinyoung doesn’t say anything for a minute, “I don’t know, you seem kinda different now that you’re off the elevator.”

“Tired?” Mark offers as he rolls his shoulders. We walk the remaining floors down with Julia and Jinyoung, the others having been stopped at the lobby. “Anyways, I’m thinking I’d rather just go back to the dorm and sleep.”

“Are you sure,” Julia asks Mark, her voice showing nothing but concern. “We could just change out plans, we don’t have to go clubbing.”

“No, no, you guys should go,” Mark says calmly. “I’ve had enough excitement for one night.”

Jinyoung glances to me, “What about you Mel, are you going to go crash back at your girls' dorm?”

I nod my head, honestly feeling tired. “It’s been a long night, too much has gone on you know?” I say as we finally make it down to the lobby, once in there I see that the doors have been blocked off, and several people are coordinating with staff from the building and those running the event that had been going on the last couple days. “Please tell me that it isn’t press being kept out.” I say feeling drained enough as is.

As the other comes running up to us all asking how we both are I look over at Julia, “It got out. It happened sometime while the six of us just got back here, Cheonmi, Dayoung and Jaebum barely managed to get through the door before the flashes started going off.” She explains while shaking her head. “It was crazy; Jinyoung, Jackson and I called the others from our car letting them know we should head back, and then suddenly all these other people came running up and it turned into this madhouse.”

“Melody,” I hear a rather breathless Junhyung call, turning around just as he runs up to me he hugs me tightly. “Dayoung called, are you alright?” He asks, sounding very worried about me. “Do you know what happened?”

I simply hug Junhyung back, feeling rather relaxed as Junhyung rubs my back. “Oppa, I’m fine.” I say gently and soothingly. “No harm done, well other than loss of time.” I say as he lets go of me. “Just tired now, you know?”

I can feel people watching us very carefully, Julia grabs my hand tightly, “We’ll get you guys all back home, there will be an official statement tomorrow morning from JYPE and Cube,” Junhyung explains to Mark and I.

I hear another voice calling to us, one I kind of wish I wasn’t hearing, with the windows blocked off and reporters kept back it’s just whoever was here in the building at the time. “Melody, Mark,” Nichkhun says running over out of breath, “Are you both alright?”

I feel several people stiffen at the arrival of Nichkhun, one of them being Junhyung. “Yeah, we’re fine.” Mark says calmly. “No harm done.” He repeats sounding less and less enthused.

“I’m fine,” I say when Nichkhun turns to me; I know immediately that Nichkhun has been worried out of his mind. “Oppa,” I say calmingly. “We’re both fine, it wasn’t so scary to be stuck in an elevator.” I say trying to make it sound like not such a big deal, mostly because to me it wasn’t.

“Jeez,” Nichkhun says finally breaking, pulling me into a hug. “It was scary for everyone else.” He mutters. I wrap my arms around Nichkhun tightly. “You’re sure you’re fine, you didn’t bump your head or attempt to strangle Mark?”

“Hey, why would I be the one to attempt to strangle someone?” I ask playfully, “Mark would have been just as likely to strangle someone.” I tease as he lets go, running his hands down my face checking very carefully that I am ok. “Oppa,” I say taking his hand in mine. “I’m alright.” I promise him.

“If Melody says she’s alright, then she is.” Junhyung snaps.

Nichkhun withdrawals his hand, he glances behind me to Junhyung, I look around the group to see everyone watching very carefully as Nichkhun walks over. “I’d been worried about Mark and Melody,” Nichkhun says. “I care for both very much.”

“As do I, but you don’t see anyone fawning over Mel or Mark like you just were.” Junhyung says jealously.

Before I can intervene I’m again pulled into a hug. “People have probably already asked, but are you alright?” Himchan’s deep voice asks; his hug being just has tight as Nichkhun and Junhyung’s.

“Yes,” I say chuckling slightly, part of my mind reeling seeing as three fourths of the idols I’ve dated have arrived on the scene, I know that all four were here today, I’m not sure when or if any of their respective groups left earlier or were still here by the time Mark and I got stuck. “I’m alright, you know, this is a bit more traumatic.” I as he lets go, rubbing my cheek affectionately.

“Oh god,” I hear Julia say, I look over to see both Nichkhun and Junhyung watching and holding their tempers.

Himchan glances behind me and chuckles. “Looks like all of us are coming to see you.” He jokes, “Battle of the EXs,” He mutters playfully in my ear.

I can’t help but laugh. “Oppa, you’re no help at all.” I say while shaking my head and smiling rather happily. Himchan had been extremely playful and funny, something I’ll always love about him. Though I feel a lot leave me as I see Henry running over too. I never considered that all four would ever meet with me present. I kinda of thought this would never be a problem, obviously, I should have prepared for something like this.

“Christ,” Julia says as Himchan is gently shoved by Henry. “All of them,” She mutters while shaking her head. I’d send a glare or something, but seeing as she isn’t wrong and I am too wrapped up in the fact that they’re all here and all concerned is a bit more pressing to me.

“Henry,” I say completely surprised by his arrival.

Henry simply chuckles and pulls me into a hug. “How are you, are you hurt?” He asks in English. “I was just about to leave when they locked down, then I hear them talking about two people being stuck in an elevator!” Henry explains quickly.

“I’m fine, came out unharmed,” I say smiling, hugging him tightly. “It’s been a while.” I mutter quietly, “A long time really.”

Henry pulls away and grins. “Well you know, busy lifestyle, I’ll be back for a while once I start promoting here though, should be pretty soon.” He says excitedly. “Mel, we should grab lunch then, well you know when we both have time at least, you’ll have to tell me how everything has been.”

I nod my head smiling at him. “That sounds really good; I can’t wait to listen to your new songs.” I say smiling. “And to hear all about what you’ve been up to.”

Before anything else can happen I feel Julia tap my shoulder, “Not to intrude, but it’s kinda is what Himchan said,” She says nodding back. “Battle of the year is going on behind you.”

“Ah,” Henry says sounding a bit taken back. “I take it your EXs.” He says teasingly.

I blush nodding my head, hitting his arm as well. “Shut it, you and I both know.” I say pouting. “Excuse me while I attempt to defuse the mess this whole elevator has stirred up.” I say excusing myself. I catch Mark’s eyes and I can tell immediately this is no longer an act, he’s pretty pissed off. I, however, do not have time to ask why. As I approach the now group of three, Henry following behind rather cheerfully, I try to figure out what to say.

“Nichkhun, Junhyung, Himchan,” I say slowly to them as Henry stops right next to me. “This is Henry,” I say politely.

“Nice to meet you,” Nichkhun says holding a hand out, which Henry shakes, along with Himchan and Junhyung following the lead set. The four of them all seem to be sizing each other up and getting a idea for how exactly they think about each other. I am still pretty stunned by everything going on, I mean the four of them all together and looking at each other and then me expectantly.

“Kinda something I never thought would happen,” I say glancing at the three men all watching me, “Getting stuck in an elevator, I thought that only happened in the movies.” I say casually, their eyes trained on me as if waiting for something. I’d never been very keen on talking about my other relationships to my current boyfriend, so this is the first time that they’ve all really been confronted with this kinda of thing, and the worst of this whole situation is that it’s all of them.

Henry glances to Himchan, “So kinda weird to meet like this,” He offers up.

Himchan nods his head. “Just a bit, I mean, I kinda always knew who exactly you guys were.”

Nichkhun nods his head, “Hard not to, we all have the same look.”

Junhyung nods his head, obviously not enjoying this, Himchan and Henry, however, are quite a bit more amused than Nichkhun and him. “Melody, we should get you back to the dorm, you’ll need to get some rest.” Junhyung says using his I’m-your-mentor-voice.

Nichkhun beats Junhyung to it though, “I’ll take you to see the medics that have been called.” He says while putting an arm around my shoulder, Nichkhun walks towards Mark who gets a similar treatment.

 

~~~

 

“Christ,” Julia says taken back, I glance to her and see what she means immediately. It isn’t just Junhyung or Nichkhun-hyung coming to check on Melody but Himchan and Henry as well. I can tell by the way they all look at her that they’re the men she used to date. They all have a similar look to them, an alike expression as they look at Melody, and then when they look at each other a similar jealous and annoyed look with each other.

“What’s going on there?” Jackson asks watching on completely interested by the small group talking, him being a bit oblivious to the obvious. Julia glances to him and then back to Melody, who is obviously trying to keep her head. “They’re all big names more or less.” Jackson says.

“You’re looking at the four men Melody has dated rather exclusively before debuting, at least the most recent ones, the famous ones.” Julia says calmly, sounding just as Melody had said, amused. “It’s really crazy that they’re all even talking to each other like that.”

“Why?” I ask calmly trying to keep my temper from flaring up.

Julia sends me a strange look. “Melody is very discreet; she’s not big on revealing who she’s dating to anyone really. This is their first time finding out who exactly she’s dated. Mel told me that she never told them about her previous relationships, she doesn’t like messy. One mention of the other and she thought it'd get messy fast.” I look back, studying the four men all watching Melody intensely, Junhyung and Nichkhun seem to be the most heated of the four, while Himchan and Henry look a bit more amused than the other two by the talk they are all having. “From what I can tell, the two that are more okay with how things turned out are Himchan and Henry.” Julia says.

“Wait,” Jinyoung says looking from Melody and her EXs to Julia. “Melody dated Nichkhun-hyung?”

Julia nods her head. “Mark knew,” My friend says smirking at me. “I’m curious about how you knew to be honest.” She asks curiously as the others all look at me with the same curious eyes.

Jaebum looks at me as Dayoung rests her hand on Cheonmi’s shoulder. “Not now, besides we shouldn’t be saying anything right now, it’s a bit risky.” I say quietly. I glance around to find that it really is just us, but you can never really tell.

“Well incoming,” Dayoung says quietly, “Nichkhun is coming with Mel in tow and she looks just as furious as he does.”

Julia, Dayoung and Cheonmi both gasp slightly; before any of us can ask Nichkhun-Hyung walks right up to me and wraps an arm around my shoulder tightly. I’m tugged to follow, quietly wondering what was said and why they gasped.

“You ing pissed him off,” Melody hisses. “Dragging Mark and me off like this is just rubbing it into his face.”

“Well I can’t help it,” Nichkhun-Hyung says sounding equally pissed as Melody. “We can discuss this later; right now you both need to be checked out.”

Melody just crosses her arms over her chest. I just walk silently deciding not to comment or take any of this in. I thought I could handle knowing that Melody has dated rather extensively, but it just pisses me off to see the all there and crowding her and they all still obviously harbor feelings for her.

 

~~~

 

After a thorough check-up Mark and I are released, Nichkhun escorting us to lobby where everyone is still. Junhyung, Himchan, and Henry haven’t left; they’re sitting silently on benches, Junhyung glaring angrily off to the side.

“Goddamn it,” I mutter as I walk ahead of the two and rush over to Dayoung, Julia, and Cheonmi. “How mad is Junhyung?” I ask in a very hushed tone.

Dayoung glances to her brother and then to Nichkhun. “Well, I’ve never seen him this mad about anything other than me, so I’d say he’s pretty furious.” Dayoung admits quietly. “He’s been glaring at the floor since Nichkhun you and Mark out.”

“Muttering some unkind words,” Julia says watching as Mark joins Jinyoung and Jaebum, the three boys taking seats further down. Nichkhun takes one next to Henry, his bad mood intensifying as he does so. “I’d say that Nichkhun and Junhyung are still a bit hung up.” Julia says sighing heavily.

I nod my head feeling bad about the situation. “Don’t,” Dayoung says squeezing my hand. “They just need to look pass all that and be thankful you both are okay.”

I glance to Mark and I can tell he’s furious as well, not as apparent as Nichkhun or Junhyung, but still it is there. “It’s really weird to see them all together.” Julia says quietly in her hushed tone.

Cheonmi speaks up, which surprises me. “I know everyone has asked, but you are okay right?” In this moment I feel extremely thankful that she is here. “I mean I know they all asked and Julia asked, but what did the medics say?”

“Mark and I are both fine, the bumps on our heads aren’t anything serious, we should both rest though to be on the safe side.” I tell her back, I glance nervously to the four men sitting and all watching me. “Dayoung, do you think you can take Junhyung home? I’m not sure he’s going to be receptive to me.” I say quietly, “And I need to have a rather serious conversation with Nichkhun.” I say darkly.

“Sure, but you know, Junhyung will want to talk to you.” Dayoung says slowly.

I nod my head; I’m not sure what to say to her. Dayoung cares deeply for her brother and I was the one to more or less make him that angry. Dayoung and I walk over to the four men all sitting, Junhyung getting up silently and taking Dayoung’s hand. “Get home safe,” He mutters to me.

Henry and Himchan get up giving me each a hug and kisses on the top of my head. “Stay safe,” Henry says heading off first.

“I recognize that look,” Himchan says glancing over at Nichkhun discreetly. “Don’t be too hard on him, after all from what I can tell they were the messy break ups.” He says kissing my forehead before heading off.

I take a seat next to Nichkhun. “Come on, take me home.” I say gently and quietly to Nichkhun. “We can take the long way home.” I say nudging him.

“Alright, let’s go.” Nichkhun says getting up, holding his hand out to me. Taking it I let Nichkhun lead me through the building. Nichkhun doesn’t let go of my hand on the way to his car, he opens my door and makes sure I get in safely only letting go for the short time until he gets in on his side. “I know, I was out of line, after all we’re not together.”

“I’m not together with anyone Nichkhun.” I tell him quietly. “I shouldn’t be angry with you,” I admit, “But you do understand that Junhyung isn’t just my mentor or ex-boyfriend, we’d been close friends and I ed that up. I love Junhyung, but there isn’t way I can be with him like that anymore. I moved on and I have to make it easier for him.” I say quietly. “He’s my friend and I’m going to make sure he’s going to be okay and happy.” I tell Nichkhun seriously.

“Does that mean I don’t get that?” Nichkhun asks bitterly, his hand tightening on my own. “I love you; I’m still in love with you. You may have the ability to forget, but I don’t. We were good friends too, we still are. Don’t I get to be happy too?”

“That’s not true,” I say quietly. “I don’t forget. I never forget how I feel about someone. You want to know why I broke up with you. The real reason?” I ask feeling angry still, angry that Nichkhun can think I forget. “Will that make you happy?” I ask quietly wondering if I even have th guts to say it aloud to Nichkhun.

“I’ve been asking all this time, haven’t I? Asking for you to tell me why? Asking how you could just leave how we felt about each other? So yeah, Melanie, I do want to know.” Nichkhun says back just as angrily, pulling over into a deserted parking lot of a closed grocery store. “Why don’t you finally tell me the truth?”

“Because I was scared of just falling completely in love with you, because if I’d just gone along with it and let it go where it was going, I would have ended up broken.” I say honestly instead of spouting the 'it was time to move on' or any of my usual excuses. “I didn’t want to end up like that ever again, I promised myself I’d protect me from that, I swore never to just get so blinded by another guy again, I decided to just have fun and not take things so seriously in relationships like I did the first time. I was getting lost in you, I was finding myself falling for you and it scared me to be going back down such a similar road.” I say for the second time tonight and aloud. “I didn't want it to happen a second time, I didn't want to wake up and be stuck missing you more than anything, I didn't want to be the sad sob story girl with a broken heart.”

“I wouldn’t have left you like that,” Nichkhun says gently, all his anger gone. Nichkhun reaches over, turning my head so I’m looking at him. Nichkhun leans over slowly, watching me carefully as his lips find my own, Nichkhun kisses me. I feel the same bursts of feelings and excitement that always comes, then the euphoria washes over me and I let go for just a moment of the fact we’d broken up, I’m worried about Junhyung, that I’m a newbie-idol, that Mark was angry with me, that I’m supposed to go home, I let myself get carried away by Nichkhun again. Just for a moment, but that’s all it’s ever taken.



I wrote this chapter feeling rather amused by what I had going on,
it continued and kinda just turned into what I had.
I promise you guys, this is in fact a Mark
fic. 
Let me know what you guys think~!