With Close Friends

The Risk of Flying

“Melody, is that really you?” Jackson teases as he hugs me tightly. “Where on Earth have you been?!” He asks grinning at me rather pleased, tugging me to sit next to him while Cheonmi takes the spot next to Mark.

I find myself very aware of him now, ever since we started getting along more. “Oh you know, resting up.” I say smiling bashfully, my resting up and recharging flashing through my mind rather happily. I turn to him and smirk, in Cantonese I say, “Congrats on finally breaking through her shell.”

“All thanks to a certain someone being AWOL for the last couple weeks,” Jackson shoots back sounds slightly annoyed. “Don’t think I buy this resting bit you’re trying to sell.”

“Hey, I thought we talked about this,” Mark says annoyed, Cheonmi having a similar expression, “No secret Cantonese talk in front of everyone.”

I nod my head and smile instead. “Sorry,” I say smiling; Mark however just nods and turns back to Cheonmi picking their conversation back up. I frown slightly from the treatment, Mark and I both agreed to be a bit friendlier even with others around, at least I thought we agreed to it.

“So where have you been?” Jaebum asks curiously. “Julia, Dayoung and Cheonmi all say they hardly saw you while you were resting.”

I glance to my three friends and sigh, “I’ve been otherwise occupied and enjoying my free time.” I say simply while shrugging my shoulders. “I’ll be around more now.” I explain with a grin.

Jackson simply rolls his eyes but nods his head. “Well when you’re ready to say it, we’ll be here.” He says sassily while throwing an arm around me. “After this we’re heading back to your dorm for drinks.”

“You sound eager to get this dinner over with.” I state while smirking at my good friend. “I highly doubt you need anything to help you have fun.”

“Well, believe it or not, we’re going to this anyways.” Jackson says grinning rather pleased. “Anyways, we’re only grabbing a small dinner; the main course will be at the dorm.”

“Glad I was informed.” I state sarcastically to Julia who simply waves her hand off at me. Our food is brought out and as stated it is a considerably smaller meal than we usually get. “Jackson, I swear I will not tolerate you stealing my food.” I tell him as I protect my food. “Knock it off before I knock you off.” I say laughing more as Jackson pokes my side attempting to loosen my defense on my food.

“Jackson, would you mind passing the sauce?” Cheonmi asks, barely audible over Jackson and I. Jackson, however, quickly coming to his senses takes the little bowl by his elbow and hands it over across the table to Cheonmi. Jackson’s face has flushed slightly. To say I am highly amused by this is an understatement, and it’d seem everyone else is just as amused.

Jackson spends the rest of the meal making sure to pay extra attention to Cheonmi, who in turn attempts small talk with the guy. “Jackson, the conversation would go on if you’d give longer replies.” Jaebum says exasperated as Cheonmi exhausts her chosen conversation topics, within minutes since she interrupted our play fighting again, settling for awkward conversation between Jackson, Mark myself and her. Well, mostly just Jackson, Cheonmi and me, Mark only talks to Cheonmi or Jackson.

Jackson takes his hat off and runs a hand through his hair. “Right, sorry,” He mutters to said girl who smiles at him cutely.

I lean over to Dayoung and grin. “I think I found my next ship.” I as Jackson stumbles with his words and Cheonmi listens intently.

“I know what you mean,” Dayoung says grinning. “They’re so cute and awkward, versus the other side.” She says.

Confused I look around trying to figure out what she means. “You mean the completely comfortable and equally adorable Dayhoon?” I ask seriously, much to her amusement.

“No, but Jules and Cheonmi get it.” Dayoung says grinning rather happily. “Anyways, I’m full.” She announces quickly avoiding me questioning her about this other ship.

We all follow Jaebum and Julia out, getting in quickly to the two cars and heading back to our dorm. Checking my phone I can’t help but grin. “So what do you and Jackson discuss about in Cantonese?” Dayoung asks curiously. “And so quietly too, it’s the only time I’ve ever seen Jackson serious and quiet.”

Looking up from my phone I shrug my shoulders. “Mostly whatever or whoever is present,” I answer casually. “Sometimes about our troubled counterparts,” I answer simply. This quickly settles any questions.

“Wait, Jackson’s counterpart?” Julia asks with a slight frown. “Who is his?”

I point back Dayoung, Cheonmi, and Julia; simply just rolling my hand around while pointing. “Whoever he’s having a hard time with at the time usually. Jackson’s changes from one of the members to someone at JYPE or something, it just depends.” I answer evading the truth.

“Mostly just you two complaining then,” Dayoung sums up with a chuckle. “Why Cantonese?”

I smirk at her and simply stick my tongue out. “Faster, Jackson and I are still clumsy in Korean.” I answer simply. “We don’t have to think about it like we do when we speak Korean.”

~~~

The walk up to the dorm is quick seeing as Julia neglected to tell me, “Well it might not be okay for us to have all these people over.” She says calmly. Which I find highly ironic seeing as the usual worried one is now suddenly carefree and I am worried about what could happen.

“What do you mean you’re not sure?” I ask as we open the door, as we enter each of us shedding ours shoes off in the entrance hall I watch as Julia drags me with her to the kitchen. “Ah, right. You love drinking.” I say while shaking my head as Julia pulls out some shot glasses to compliment the vodka we just bought.

“Correction, I love having fun.” She says sassily. “Besides we can’t do this in public right now, if we all get caught like we would no doubt we’d all be saying hello to curfews and rules, more than we already have.”

“Because getting caught in our dorm is better,” I say smirking as I take some of the glasses. “When did we even get these?” I ask as I set them down on the table in the living room where everyone is piled around.

Julia simply taps her nose and winks at me. “All in good time my pupil.”

“I’m not so sure,” Cheonmi says as I hand her the shot glass now filled with vodka, “I heard about Dayoung getting drunk at Junhyung’s celebration party…” She says worriedly while leading off and sending worried looks around the table.

Which of course prompts Jackson to turn to Dayoung and grin, “That sounds like a fun story, why don’t you tell it?” He asks Dayoung who is now shaking her head with a very definite look.

“From what I hear, Dayoung got very drunk.” Julia says smirking. “And she starts using English more.” I turn to my friend and raise a brow. “I happened to have a nice conversation with Hyuna while we went out drinking a few days ago.”

“Have I ever told you about how I’ve always wanted to meet Hyuna-Sunbae?” Jaebum says jokingly while nudging Julia.

“And I want to meet Junho.” Julia quips back with a smirk.

It’s at this point that they turn back to look at me. “And we all know that the person who can introduce you is Mel.” Jaebum says with a smirk. “Hyungs are fine with us, but they all like you a lot more.”

“A ton of guys seem to like you.” Mark quips, the first words he’s said to me really. “What’s your secret?”

Cheonmi looks at Mark nervously. “Mel is just really likeable.” She says obviously trying to keep us from fighting; I oblige and just shrug my shoulders.

“I’m just asking, seeing as the four of her ex-boyfriends turn up worried sick, half of them at each other’s throats.” Mark says baiting me.

I let out a deep breath, pouring myself a drink I glance back him, the others have gone silent and watch. Downing the drink I watch Mark carefully, we obviously won’t be getting along sober. “Yeah well, I broke up with two of them and then the other two broke up with me.” I answer simply. “I’m not sure why they still like me so much Mark, but maybe it is just like Cheonmi said, maybe I’m just that likeable.” I say coldly as I pass the bottle around to the others.

Mark nods his head, though he still seems upset. “Guess so,” Mark says while drinking how own shot, “Seems like people just can’t get enough of you.”

Before I can ask what he means by that he’s poured me another shot. “How kind of you,” I say holding the glass up and thanking him for it.

After a few more shots we’ve all started talking again, we started on the beer, Dayoung and Cheonmi are giggling with Jackson about stage costumes. “Dayoung is a lightweight.” Julia says chuckling, the both of us barely buzzed.

We both glance to Jaebum and Mark, looking like they’re in the same as us. “Looks like the lightweights have been found.” Jaebum says smirking as he drinks a beer.

“Probably should have gone easy at first rather than diving right in.” I say motioning to the bottle of vodka, “So three is their limit, no fourth next time.” I say smirking rather amused at the group all giggling and grinning and going on and on about stage costumes and other things they find amusing. Jackson quickly starts them telling an amusing story. “And another fine reason as to do this in the comforts of our dorm,” I tease good-heartedly.

“What are your limits?” Julia asks Mark and Jaebum. “And more importantly how are you guys getting back to your dorm?”

Jaebum turns to Mark with a slightly alarmed look. “Looks like we’ll have to call someone to drive us back,” He mutters leaning back on the couch. “Well I can handle a bit more before I’m completely under.”

“Same,” Mark answers slurring slightly. “What about you girls?”

I chuckle and swish the bottle’s contents around a bit. “I’m a long ways from losing control, Julia too.” I say chuckling. “Though, Julia can handle way more than I can.” I say amusedly as Julia simply drinks her own booze. "Though, I should have been a bit more careful with that.” I say motioning to the vodka again.

“I may have a nice tolerance for this kind of stuff; honestly it’s been a while since I last really got to drink.” Julia says sighing. “Next time when we’re all like this we should play a game of quarters or maybe truth and dare when we’re all drunk.” She says chuckling.

At the mention of Truth, I glance at Mark, he’s done the same. “Sounds like fun,” Mark says smirking slightly. “What’s the time?”

“Nearly two,” I answer checking the clock on the wall. “When your guys’ curfew?” I ask leaning back as well feeling a bit relaxed.

“2:30, we better call someone,” Mark says sounding particularly complain-y. “Jaebum, who do you want to call?”

“Well, Nichkhun is the only one I think won’t murder us.” Jaebum says pulling his phone out, he gets up to make the call. “Hey Hyung,” Jaebum says while walking to the kitchen.

Mark simply downs the last of his drink. “A couple more shots before we’re collected?” Mark prompts.

Julia happily obliges, pouring enough shots for everyone. “Alright, so since seeing as we might all get in trouble when Nichkhun gets here,” She says excitedly. “Let’s enjoy tonight and make a couple more memories.” Julia says as the other come back to the table. Jackson, Cheonmi and Dayoung all taking unsteady seats by the table.

“Yeah, might as well.” I say scooting off the couch and taking a seat on the ground next to them. “Jaebum, hurry up and come back! I call happily; Mark takes a seat across from me, watching me carefully before turning his attention to Jackson, who is in fact babbling.

As soon as Jaebum is seated we throw the drink back and finish off the bottle rather joyously. “Would you quit yelling,” I say giggling at Jackson, while I am not completely drunk, I am far from my better state. We did not at all pace ourselves while finishing the bottle. “I get it; the hat from Girls Girls Girls was completely ridiculous.” I say chuckling, though in complete agreement with the guy.

“But it was so silly; I’m not sure why the stylists wanted to wear it so badly.” Jackson complains, much quieter though. I simply nod my head amusedly while he goes on about it for a while. As the door rings I get up, seeing as Julia is busy in the bathroom with Cheonmi.

Checking to see that it is indeed Nichkhun I got to answer the door. “I see you are all enjoying your days off.” Nichkhun says smirking at me.

“I am indeed; you know I’m not so sure about Cheonmi though.” I say worriedly. “She’s kinda occupied in the bathroom.”

“I can imagine,” Nichkhun says smirking after coming in. He looks around before pulling me into a hug. “How much have you had?”

“Not enough,” I tease happily while wrapping my arms around him. “A little kiss before you collect my friends?” I ask while biting my lip.

“Oh you’re still troublesome,” He mutters leaning down to give me a quick peck. “I better get them back to their dorm before curfew for them.”

“I guess so,” I whisper letting him in. I watch Jackson get slightly annoyed with Nichkhun’s presence, along with Mark.

“Alright, let’s get you all back.” Nichkhun says smirking, and I must say I find it rather attractive.

Mark comes along quietlyas does Jaebum. Jackson though, he puts up a rather big show. “You dated my best friend.” He accuses while pointing at him agitatedly. Jackson’s English is rather sloppy while being drunk.

Nichkhun watches amusedly, while I on the other hand am very focused on said guy. “Did I?” He asks rather curiously, I’ll admit I am too, but I feel like this is one of the worst ways for this to come up. Jackson drunk is a bigger handful than when he’s sober, and everyone knows how wild Jackson is.

“Yeah,” He says while motioning to me. “Melody hasn’t been around so much since we all found out, so can you please start acting less lovey around her, it makes it awkward to be around.” Jackson says ranting, though right after saying found out he’s switched to Cantonese. “Kay?” He asks in Korean.

I shake my head, though honestly I’m feeling rather thankful that Jackson is multilingual in this instance. “I think you should get them home.” I say while helping Jacksons up.

Nichkhun nods his head, Jaebum and Mark taking Jackson. “Are the others staying the night then?” He asks curiously as Cheonmi and Julia come out, Dayoung quickly getting up and running to the bathroom.

“Yeah, Julia and I can handle things over here.” I say calmly, helping Cheonmi to settle down on the couch. “She has her head more than I do.” I explain as I stumble slightly, much to his worry. “You better get going so they aren’t too late.” I say urging them to go, seeing as Mark seems impatient and Jackson is looking a bit more troublesome.

“Alright, well goodnight,” Nichkhun says, obviously being convinced that we’ll be alright. “I’m gonna insist on no more drinking.”

“We won’t.” Julia says chuckling as Dayoung collapses on our other couch. “It won’t be any fun for us all to be completely and totally useless tomorrow.” She jokes as both girls groan at the mention of tomorrow. “Mel will walk with you guys to the elevator.” Julia says gently.

I nod my head following behind everyone, only bothering to slip on flip-flops to walk with them. “What prompted the drinking?” He asks casually and discreetly.

“First time in a long time that we could all hang out,” Mark answers for us after I shrug. “Though I’m not so sure this was supposed to happen,” He mutters while gesturing to Jackson.

“I kinda figured on Dayoung and Cheonmi, but after they started sharing it was kinda hard to stop them.” I say chuckling, “Same with this one.” As we reach the elevator I smile at them and wave. “See you guys later, drive safe.” I say to Nichkhun worriedly.

“I’ll get them home safe,” Nichkhun promises. “I’ll see you around Mel.” He says as they board, Mark nods to me while Jaebum is busy trying to keep Jackson from whispering something in his ear.


The next chapter I promise has a bit of what you guys want.
c;