Revisiting the Old

The Risk of Flying

Julia had been right. Junhyung needed space from me, a lot of it. Dayoung in turn has been distant with me, no doubt angry with me for how messed up Junhyung has been. Junhyung has slightly more inclined to go out drinking, Julia and Dayoung both assure me they have him under control with the help of Beast, who are also miffed with me.

“I thought you’d be going to that big party with the rest of Cube,” Nichkhun says, I’m seated across from him at 2PM’s dinner table, the other members are out on their own for either their own enjoyment, overseas, or at other schedules.

“Junhyung has been a bit out of control lately, and they all know it’s my fault.” I explain quietly pushing my plate away and over to Nichkhun. “I’m not really hungry right now.” I mutter leaning back; Nichkhun gives me a disapproving look. “I’m not.” I answer as I fold my arms over my chest.

“Melanie,” Nichkhun says softly. “You need to take care of yourself,” He mutters pushing the plate back to me gently. “For my sake, just eat a little bit.” I let out a huffed sigh and take my chopsticks into my left hand, eating a few bites. “It’s not all your fault,” Nichkhun says picking our conversation back up. “It’s mine too.”

“I’ll agree to that.” I state sassily, thought mostly because I do believe that Nichkhun and I share blame in all this. “I’m not supposed to be seeing you.”

“Maybe you shouldn’t?” Nichkhun echoes. I look up dropping my utensils and send Nichkhun an angry glare. “Mel, I’m not even sure what we’re doing here.”

I let out a long sigh, all this feeling to be much more roller-coaster-like than it should be. “I’m not really sure either.” I say back quietly. “When this started again,” I say rubbing my arms slowly, my nervous habit. “I thought it’d be our chance to fix things, for me to be happy here.” I say quietly, “For you to be happy, for us to be happy.”

“You’re not happy?” Nichkhun asks; the hurt very apparent in his voice and on his face.

I shake my head. “I’m happy, I am.” I answer slowly. “When we’re not thinking about why I’m here when most of the company I’m part of is having a party, when we both aren’t reminded of everything that goes on outside of this house, when we see each other and have to act like we’re simply acquaintances or if we’re even that.” I answer sighing heavily.

“I know,” Nichkhun mutters equally distressed. “It was hard before too, sneaking around JYPE, around the guys for a while, it hadn’t been easy back then either.”

“I hadn’t been set on being an idol back then,” I reply, “I liked the classes, the practices, and auditioning, but we both know back then I was more into you than becoming famous.”

“And now?” Nichkhun asks quietly. “Are you more into being famous than you care about me?”

I shake my head and let out a long sigh. “Definitely not, but I think we both know we have a lot more at stake now. There are more things to lose, more people that are affected.” I say carefully. “You told me I would understand more when I debuted, that I would definitely get what you meant if I was in a group. I understand now.”

“Melanie, just tell me what you want then, I can’t keep guessing with you!” Nichkhun says raising his voice, he stares at me, hurt and pained. “I’m not going anywhere, I’m not saying we should go public right now or tell our friends, I’m asking for you to just enjoy what we have going right now and to stop worrying so much about everything else.”

Standing up and collecting my plate I put the leftovers away, one of the others will eat it or I’ll come back to it. “Then I want to go out on a date, I want you and I to go out, drive around and then to come back here and cuddle.” I say simply. “Nichkhun, let’s go on a date.”

Nichkhun gets up, walking up to me, leaning down slightly he presses his lips to my forehead. “I’ll get my keys, you’ve always liked driving around, I don’t have anything to do tomorrow,” He says leading off.

“Neither do I,” I answer following behind Nichkhun as we both pull our shoes on, outside we quickly get into his car, then drive away from the home.

I leave a message for Julia letting her know I’ll be back soon and not to worry, Nichkhun leaving a similar message for anyone of his friends that maybe call or stop by. Nichkhun drives for a long time, we leave the city, we head far out of the city, while I know that this is wrong, I can’t help but find it exciting.

“Where are you taking us?” I ask excitedly looking around; the world dark outside, only a few other cars are driving as well, more traffic is heading towards Seoul.

“The beach,” Nichkhun answers simply. I watch him in the dark, his face faintly lit up by the small amount of lights given off by the dashboard. “I promised you before.” I feel significantly less excited now, I’m worried. I’m worried that this is a goodbye trip. A trip to say goodbye to Nichkhun and I as we are, that this is the last hurrah before we have to be strangers. “It’s not what you’re thinking.” Nichkhun whispers. “I wouldn’t do that to you.”

“It feels like that,” I answer quietly. “It feels like you’re just going to tell me goodbye once we get back.” I say quietly, it’d felt like this when Himchan and Henry broke up with me, when they told me it wouldn’t be good for either of us to continue like we were. “You promise?”

“I always keep them, don’t I?” Nichkhun responds, his hand taking mine. “I remember when you demanded rather childishly that I take you before you debuted, and if I couldn’t I be the first person to take you after.”

“You did take me before though,” I answer remembering the trip rather fondly, we’d spent a whole day there, running around a beach, sitting in the sand, eating ice cream, doing a lot of summery things and having fun. “I’ll have you know; you only spoiled me and made me more willful than I had been.” I add on chuckling.

“I could never tell you no.” Nichkhun says happily. “I couldn’t fight against anything you wanted; I got just as lost in you as you fought not to get lost in me.” He says simply. “I never minded anything you wanted; I haven’t been able to stop myself since I met you.”

“Is that a tone of regret?” I ask playfully. I’m completely aware that if I asked Nichkhun for something and so long as it was reasonable I usually got it. He really did spoil me, protected me, cared for me, and loved me.

“You know it isn’t.” Nichkhun answers chuckling, “It’ll be a bit cold, but we can watch the waves and sunrise in my car.”

“We could do a lot of things in your car.” I answer with a smirk, I feel Nichkhun tense slightly at my suggestion. “I’ve never done anything in a car before.” I tease.

“I guess we’ll have to fix that then.” Nichkhun answers back with a slight chuckle. “I really can’t tell you ‘no’.” Nichkhun mutters, a faint smile on his face.

~~~

“You wrote something rather happy, even the melody is cheerful.” Julia says after reading my latest songs, a big change from the last song I wrote.  “Something good must have happened over the weekend.”

“It’s just some songs, I was in a good mood,” I answer simply ignoring her attempts to get me talk about the date Nichkhun and I took over the weekend, the trip that was supposed to be a quick pop by the beach quickly turned into a rather adventurous weekend at a little beach house we rented. “Did he talk to her?” I question curiously.

Julia looks around nervously before nodding her head. “I didn’t tell either one of them that it was your idea.” She says sighing heavily. “If Dayoung found out I’m not sure how she’d react, and well I think we can both agree on how he’d react.”

“I understand why they’re mad at me.” I say simply, I understand that it’ll take time for us to be like before, if we can be like before. I know I not only hurt Junhyung, but Dayoung as well, and I’d argue even Julia.

“Anyways, are you coming tonight? The others have been texting you, and asking me why you aren’t replying.” Julia says smirking after changing the subject. “I hope it doesn’t conflict with any plans this time.”

“No, it doesn’t.” I answer while sticking my tongue out at my best friend. “I’m coming. We’re heading there after we finish with our review right?” I question, Jules and I are sitting patiently outside of Junhyung’s room, his recording room.

Yup, we’re just meeting for a quick dinner and then for anything else that we can come up with before we have to be back at our own dorms.” Julia answers gleefully.

Before I can ask about what she means anything else, Junhyung comes up and directs us to follow. “Melody, you first.” He says as I enter the room last, nervously I place the CD with my four songs on it. Instead of playing it for everyone in the room, Junhyung plays it for himself. He moves along slightly to my songs, though I can see him trying to resist it. I sit with Julia as I watch Junhyung listen to my music, when he finishes it he takes the CD out and holds his hand out to Julia. While he sets up Julia's Junhyung gives his review. “It’s a bit cliché at some parts, the lyrics and melody have a good strong foundation, though some of the words are a bit off in the bridge, good happy songs though.”

Junhyung repeats the process again with Julia’s four songs. “I know, we’re opposite this time.” Julia says from her seat nervously.

“Your lyrics are good, the melody is a bit strange though, mostly in the beginning, you get a better feel for it by the time the first verse ends in the first and third songs, your second and fourth songs are solid, and I think they should be on the next mini-album.” Junhyung turns to me this time, “Along with your song from our last review.”

With that Junhyung gets up and leaves, the two of us bow following Junhyung out of the room. While Junhyung heads down the hall towards Beast’s practice room Julia and I head towards the lobby. “So that was strangely short.” I say while sighing.

“Yeah, he’ll probably call us back later this week. Junhyung has been pretty busy lately with Beast and Prodigy.” Julia says slowly. “Anyways, Jinyoung can’t make it tonight, something about motherly duties and we’re picking Dayoung and Cheonmi up at Prodigy’s dorm.”

“Sounds good to me,” I answer excitedly as we get in Julia’s car. “We’re going to the usual place for dinner right?” I ask while leaning back in my seat.

“Yup, we’ve become creatures of habit.” Julia says while starting the car, “So, tell me more about this weekend with Nichkhun.”

I fight off a smile at the mention of his name; I’ve been a bit lost in Nichkhun, and in plotting a future date and possible relationship for Junhyung. “We drove out to the beach, sat in his car for a while before we both decided it’d be fun to spend the weekend there instead of coming back and doing nothing since we both aren’t busy with schedules.” I answer watering it down.

“Because I believe that’s the whole story,” Julia says sarcastically then giving a quite chuckle. “I think it went more like you both did some stuff in the car and then decided you wanted a more suitable scene for those kinds of hanky-panky activities.” Before I can object or confirm anything Julia cuts me off. “Look, you my friend aren’t giving off any anymore; in fact I’d say you are at the opposite side of the scale.”

I shake my head knowingly at my best friend. “Okay, so you got me,” I say grinning. “I am rather pleased with things and they so happen to involve said things, but we are being careful so no lectures.”

“Why would I lecture you on such activities which I know absolutely nothing about, as far as I know you’re off on long runs or find inspiration and exploring this expansive city.” Julia says while winking at me. “I just thought you might want to share, and seeing as you did share I am not obligated and rather happily deny knowing anything should anything come up.”

“Oh you’re a doll.” I mutter chuckling. Something I love about our friendship, she won’t let me sink for any of my indiscretions, but if a rumor does come up she’ll deny it a hundred percent. I’d do the same for her. “What about you? Any steamy secrets?” I tease grinning at my friend. “Perhaps a few unmentioned past boyfriends?” I ask curiously, just as she is about mine.

“A few, I dated this one guy while I was still in America, things did get pretty heated, but then my parents shipped me off to live with my grandmother in China.” Julia says while rolling her eyes. “And trust me in China; I got away with nothing at all.” She says while sighing.

I sit quietly taking that in, it’s the first time Julia has ever mentioned her family to me. I’m not sure what I should say or even ask. I’m not sure what is ok to ask. “Was it because of the old boyfriend that they sent you to China to live with your grandmother?” I ask quietly.

Julia’s hands tighten on the steering wheel, for a moment she doesn’t say anything, considering her words I’m sure. She speaks very clearly and carefully. “He’d been older than me, enough to make my parents worry and angry, I’d been close to being eighteen, a couple more months and everything would have been fine. I left willing to China so my parents wouldn’t press the subject or report the relationship. I went to China so they’d let him go.” She says quietly. “After I turned eighteen I left and I haven’t looked back since.” Julia says quietly.

“I’m not sure which is better,” I answer quietly, it’d seem both of us had been in similar situations. Julia has never told me why she left to China before, just that she did and she left after a few months of being there, she eventually ended up here with me, neither of us looking back.

Julia smiles at me. “Neither am I, leaving like me or being forced out like you’d been.”

“No need to put it so delicately, I’d kicked out.” I say while sighing. After my family moved to Hong Kong my parents found out about my varied interests and tossed me out in a blind rage, I got a job, eventually told Henry and he’d helped me out and encouraged me all the more to be a trainee. “The martyr or the ,” I say with a heavy sigh.

“You’re not a and I’m not a martyr,” Julia says confidently. “There isn’t anything wrong with you liking men and enjoying yourself. Mel you’re confident and I’m strong, nothing wrong with being ourselves.”

As we pull up to Prodigy’s building I watch Julia carefully, I completely agree with her, nothing wrong with being ourselves. Cheonmi and Dayoung both get in, sensing the tension Dayoung glances at us from the back seat. “We can come back if you both need a minute.”

“No,” Julia says setting off quickly. “Just got a better perspective on Mel and myself,” She explains returning to her usual chipper self.

Dayoung rests a hand on my shoulder. “On that subject,” She says while heaving a heavy sigh. “I’m sorry Melody; I’ve been really hard on you when I shouldn’t have. You haven’t done anything wrong and I should not be angry with you at all. You’re my friend and I know you’re still looking out for my brother.”

I turn around and stare at Dayoung feeling at a complete loss. “You mean it?” I ask quietly feeling relief flood me as my friend nods her head.

“Cheonmi explained how horrible you’ve felt about all this and I just realized that you’ve been purposely avoiding Junhyung outside of work. That and while I was out with my brother Julia brought this girl over and introduced him,” She smirks at me. “While Julia was called away by Minhyuk and Doojoon, I’d been left alone with Henley. Turns out she and you both went to the same auditions at SM a few times. You’re looking out for my brother.”

“I promised him that I always would.” I answer simply. “He said he’d look out for me, as much as I’d let him seeing as we all know that I’m a bit wild.” I say with my signature troublemaker smile.

“So, this is the first I’ve seen you outside of Cube and work since the whole elevator fiasco.” Cheonmi says carefully. “What’s been up with you? Aside from the obvious tension,” She asks just as carefully as Cheonmi always asks anything.

“I’ve been a bit preoccupied by a certain friend,” I answer while biting my lip. “I’m trying to balance career, friends, free time and this other friend still, so I’m still kinda getting the hang of it all.” I say with a smile, my Nichkhun related smile.

“Oh, so old flame spark back up?” Dayoung teases me. “My guess is the ever so attractive Nichkhun.” I bit my lip and smile again, something I’m sure I’ll have to work on if his name ever comes up. “Bullseye judging by the silly smile on your face,” Dayoung says cheerfully.

“Well he does have a certain charm I’ve had a hard time shaking.” I mutter trying to get this silly smile off my face. “Anyways, let’s get off the topic of me and Nichkhun and onto the topic of what I’ve missed.”

Cheonmi chuckles cutely. “Melody, are you being shy about your relationship with Nichkhun?” She asks in a teasing voice, I’m completely shocked by the turn of events.

“Since when have you gotten so teasing?” I ask flabbergasted at my good friend, Dayoung even raises a brow to this as well. “See even Dayoung thinks this is new!” I say blushing from the simple comment from Cheonmi.

“You have been getting closer to Jackson lately,” Julia says calmly. “I think he’s starting to rub off on you!”

Cheonmi blushes and simply nods her head. “He’s not so bad, pretty funny too.” She says quietly.

I smile at Julia rather happily at this development. “Well, I think this is good news.” I say grinning rather pleased with the knowledge of my two friends finally hitting it off.


promise this is still a Mark fic!
It'll get more Mark focused again soon!!!
As I continue to promise.