Costume Change

The Risk of Flying

“So what brought on the no more dating policy?” Cheonmi asks curiously, we’re all happily eating dinner in her practice room, Jaebum, Jinyoung, Mark and Jackson finally conceding to coming to Cube for once.

I glance to her and smirk, “I like you being more assertive,” I turn to Jackson this time and smirk. “Way to go Wang.” I tease.

Jackson blushes and attempts to shoot one back at me, “S-shut up, besides you dodged the question.” He mutters pouting slightly. “Go ahead and answer.” He says in his usual a daring tone of voice.

I turn back to see that despite everyone carrying on with their own conversations as per-usual, but they are eyeing me to see if I’ll really answer. “Because after the casual relationship I was in, I’ve changed since I last dated this certain guy. I sort of dropped the ball with him and it’s not right for what we were doing.” I say ambiguously.

“The you mean,” Julia says brashly, the boys all stop and stare at me as Dayoung and Ilhoon join us.

“Christ, we need warnings before we enter a room.” Ilhoon says flustered a blush coming to his face as he glances to Dayoung nervously.

I glance over my shoulder and smirk slightly, shaking my head at my best friend. “Yeah,” I say confirming accusation. “But I was going to be delicate and lady like; you know respect the other party involved.” I say while sticking my tongue out at her. “Anyways, it wasn’t the right time and I’m not sure when the right time will present itself, and besides I should be independent, no one should feel the need to have to be in a relationship. Being alone can be really good for you.”

“She’s deciding to be celibate.” Julia translates a bit more accurately. “To connect on a deeper level, that’s all she means.”

Jinyoung, Jaebum, Mark Ilhoon, and Jackson are all blushing slightly and looking rather uncomfortable. “They’re trying to decide who she’s slept with and who she hasn’t.” Dayoung says amusedly poking Ilhoon teasingly.

Cheonmi at this statement blushes, “I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have pressed!” She exclaims worriedly.

I shrug my shoulders not really minding it. “It is fine, while I’m not going to share anything really personal about that, it was a fair question.” I let out a sigh eyeing the boys, except for Mark; they’re giving me sort of questioning looks. “I didn’t sleep with just anyone; I had to be in love with them.” I state. Well I suppose a more accurate thing to say is I had to trust them, I wasn’t in love with Nichkhun this last time. I remember how it felt to be love, but that’s about it. “I have to trust who I’m with.” I elaborate.

“Anyways, changing topics,” Ilhoon says slightly uncomfortably. “With Halloween coming up, we should all hang out together, in costumes and what not, have fun.”

“Sounds like fun,” Julia says extremely excitedly. “A little Halloween party for all of us,” She says mischievously.

“Looks like we’re going to be having lots of fun,” Dayoung says smirking; she glances to Jackson and nudges him. “We can do couples costumes just like when we all grouped up for the amusement park!” She says grinning rather victoriously as Julia nods her head in agreement.

I blink momentarily enthused until I remember who exactly I was with the majority of the time. “Wait, as in Dayhoon, Checkson, Jinyoung, Jaebum and Julia, then Mark and me?” I ask slightly skeptical of this whole costume idea.

“Yeah, I’m sure Markly will come up with something absolutely precious.” Julia says smirking. “I kinda like that, Markly.” Julia says to Cheonmi and Dayoung. “Though Dayhoon shall be my ship until I die.”

“What happens if they break up?” Jackson asks curiously. Which quickly earns slaps from everyone around.

“Don’t even joke about that.” Julia says seriously. “If they break up I will personally hold you responsible and be sure to convey this to Hyuna as well.” My close friend threatens.

Mark glances at me and sighs slightly before getting up and taking a seat next to me. “They’re going to be serious about the costumes.”

“I know,” I mutter while pouting slightly. “I’m not too sure what we could dress up as. Though I’m looking forward to what Checkson will come up with.” I muse trying to think what timid Cheonmi and Jackson’s overwhelming charms will come up with.

“Does it have to be couple costumes?” Cheonmi asks curiously while glancing to Julia, obviously trying to get her off her tirade about what she’ll do to Jackson in the event of Cube’s favorite and very secret ship sinks. “It might be better not to right?”

“Definitely not,” Julia and Jaebum dispute immediately. “Matching, it’ll be fun, besides it’ll only be us that see anyways.”

Cheonmi sends Jackson a worried look. “I’m not so sure.” She mutters sounding a bit defeated.

Getting up I tug Mark to follow. “The air is getting too scheme-y in here.” I state eyeing my best friends carefully. “We can go and discuss non-costume related things elsewhere.” I say as Mark follows behind me sighing rather relieved.

“I’m not sure I have it in me to hear Jaebum and Jinyoung trying to convince Julia to wear whatever there they have in mind.” Mark says as we leave the room, “Or how awkward Cheonmi and Jackson are.”

“The only normal ones in there are Dayoung and Ilhoon, who are now thinking about Jackson’s rather brash statement.” I note. Both had been eyeing each other a bit nervously. I’m not sure they ever discussed what they’d do if their relationship hadn’t worked out like it did, or what they’ll do if it doesn’t work out later down the road.

“I’ve never heard them argue before.” I say thinking back on all the times Julia and I have hung out with Ilhoon and Dayoung. “They seem pretty solid.”

Mark surprises me with his rebuttal. “And the others never really saw us getting along before a few months ago.”

“Are you saying they fight secretly all the time?” I ask worried about my friends. “What if they’re only going out now because everyone at Cube wants them to go out?” I ask completely shocked by the thought.

“I’m pretty sure that’s not either of their personalities to go along with something like that, unless of course it’s just a huge prank on all of you.”

“I see Hyuna murdering them if that’s the case.” I mutter thinking back on how adamant she’d been about how Ilhoon and Dayoung would definitely end up together. This of course makes me think about how much it bothered Junhyung that his baby sister started showing interest a boy romantically for the first time, “What’s you point about us?” I ask Mark coming back to focus.

“Just that I’m sure they fight, but keep it between themselves, just like how we got along, but only for us.” Mark says.

“That was more about Dayoung and Ilhoon than you and me.” I state smirking slightly; Mark however doesn’t budge on the subject. “Alright then, since Halloween is next week any ideas on costumes?”

“Not a one.” Mark answers in English sounding rather defeated. “I’m not sure.”

“What are you two doing?” I jump slightly from the surprise of running into someone else, but mostly from the fact that it’s Junhyung.

“Just walking, the others got too scheme-y.” Mark answers politely as I stare at Junhyung shocked. “Mel, you ok?” Mark asks nudging me.

Junhyung eyes me warily. “I see; well glad to see at least two of you can stay out of trouble.” Junhyung mutters while heading on pass us. “Melanie, no need to freeze up on me.” He calls over his shoulder casually.

I watch as Junhyung walks off, in his usual chic kind of walk. “Is it weird to see him around all the time?” Mark asks me, brining me back to us.

I shake my head, though reluctantly. “It wasn’t before, now it’s kinda hard.” I say honestly. “Junhyung and I had been really close friends before. Then after Julia and I both got into his group, things ended in a bad kind of way obviously.”

“Hence your no-dating policy,” Mark says simply.

I let out sigh, glancing at him hesitantly. “Aside from Himchan and Henry, the break-ups ended up blowing everything out of the water; it took a long time before either of us were ready to see each other.”

“As most relationships go.”

I roll my eyes and send Mark an annoyed look. “Except for the fact that Junhyung and I didn’t get the adjustment time. We broke up right after we both found out I was placed in his new group.”

Mark sighs while shaking his head slightly. “Let’s talk about Halloween costumes, this is too…”

“Atomic,” I offer in English.

It’s something that I like about Mark and me. Simply changing the subject will lighten the mood, we both can get along, and we both know the boundaries of the relationship. Mark is safe. The thought is a bit strange as I’m not usually one to flock towards safe. I like the wrong choices, but then again it hasn’t exactly served me so well.

“I like super heroes.” I offer up as I try to think of what Mark and I could be for Halloween. “I really like super heroes.” I say sighing happily as I think about the numerous movies Julia and I have now to watch, all involving super heroes.

“I like Spiderman.” Mark offers up.

I turn to Mark slightly unsure of the idea. “We could be Spiderman and Gwen.” Though I’m not sure, I’m sure Julia would tease me for it later, Gwen being Peter Park’s first love and all. “Or Peter and Gwen,” I say slowly just bouncing ideas around.

“I kinda like that,” Mark says slowly. “Fits in with the couples costumes,” He murmurs as we continue to walk along the hallway. “And it is the only good idea we’ve had.”

I smile relieved that Mark does indeed like the idea. “Then it’s settled, we no longer have to worry about what to be.” 




Short chapter because I've been so stressed and so out of my mind that I've decided to do some resetting to my life.
Anyways, I'm hoping to start upating soon again, maybe in the next two weeks or so. @W@
Love you my little cute ducks! <3