The Aftermath

The Risk of Flying

I wake up the next morning and with Nichkhun’s arm draped over me. I internally curse myself, we shouldn’t have done this. This complicates things; has the tendency to do that. I feel rather nice contrary to the complications that will arise from this. I allow myself to relax and push the troubling thoughts away.

“Your phone is buzzing,” Nichkhun mutters, his fingers running over my bare skin. Obviously he’s been up for a while, and as close as we’ve always been, Nichkhun knows I’m up and have no chance of falling back asleep. His hands gently massage me and tempt me rather successfully to stay in bed.

“That’s not fair.” I mumble sinking back into the bed, turning around to scoot closer to him. “We shouldn’t have.” I continue to mumble as kiss his chest. So many temptations and so little time, Nichkhun sighs contently his arms snaking around me comfortably.

“I know,” He mutters back quietly. “But just for a little.” Nichkhun says. “Just for a bit,” He says pulling me even closer. “Your phone is buzzing again.” He says, this time I hear it. “It’s probably someone wanting to know where you are.”

“What should I tell them, huh?” I tease as I snuggle closer, even if I know I shouldn’t, even if I know I should answer I decide to forget for a little bit longer. I’m rather happy with where I am, I’m rather content here in Nichkhun’s arms in his room. Things seem far away and not at all pressing. When it rings again I let out an irritated sigh. I untangle myself from Nichkhun and the bed, walking over I pick my phone up off the ground by my clothes, I pick one of Nichkhun’s shirts and slip it on. As I sit back on the bed Nichkhun’s arms snake around my waist.

“I’ve always like this look.” He says teasingly.

I roll my eyes as I answer my phone, a smile very much so evident on my face. “Hello,” I say having checked to see who called.

“Where the are you,” Comes Julia’s voice, while she does sound angry I’m not about to poke the bear and lie to her. “I’ve been covering for you since last night when you didn’t come home! Junhyung is on his way to Cube to meet us so we can get your official statement about what happened last night!”  She hisses.

I jolt upright, realizing that it would of course be soon after the whole elevator thing for Mark and me to give official statements. “Can you pick me up? I’ll be dressed and ready to go; I’ll explain when we get back to the dorm.” I say getting up and pulling my then pants on.

“Fine, text me where, bye Mel,” Julia says hanging up. She sounded pretty pissed; she must be if she just hung up without waiting for me to say my own goodbye.

I look back to see Nichkhun watching me get dressed, a lazy smile splashed across his face. “You mister always seem to get me in trouble.” I say sighing heavily, though smiling as well. I hand Nichkhun my phone, “Could you text Julia the address, she’s coming to pick me up.” I explain feeling the weight of everything coming right back to me as I’m forced to face reality again. I find my last piece of clothing, my bra and put it on before heading out I check to be sure I’m decent while Nichkhun sends the text message for me.

“Chansung is home and so is Junho if that’s why you’re taking so long to leave my room.” Nichkhun says, as I turn I see him now in a pair of shorts and a white t-shirt. “Come on, I’ll show you so you can finish getting ready.”

I follow behind Nichkhun, once we’ve brushed our teeth, me using a spare tooth brush; I’m then lead out to the living room where not only Chansung and Junho are, but Wooyoung too.

This is the part I’ve always hated. Coming out to see roommates after a very obvious night of intimacy, “Do you have time to eat?” Nichkhun asks walking by them casually; I follow behind and nod my head. “Something quick I take it.”

“We made something, you can have some Mel.” Wooyoung says from the couch. “You too Hyung,”

Nichkhun rolls his eyes but gets out two plates, “I know you aren’t a fan of this part,” Nichkhun whispers, leaning down he feathers kisses on my face. “I’m sorry, I know.” He says sweetly. This is exactly why I’d gotten so swept away. Nichkhun is sweet, caring, loving, a complete and total gentleman, and he’s forgiven me for every mistake I’ve ever made, understood and helped me through tough spots. The fact of the matter is Nichkhun is a dream boat. The only problem is that Nichkhun isn’t just my own dream boat; he is a lot of girls’ own version of a dream.

“It is fine,” I whisper smiling rather warmly. I sit between Chansung and Nichkhun as I eat, trying to get a decent amount eaten before Julia gets here.

When the door does eventually ring, Wooyoung gets up to answer it with. “Melody, it’s Julia,” He calls back in English, I smirk at Nichkhun as I get up, feeling a bit bad about having to go like this, feeling guilty about last night.

“I’ll see you later?” Nichkhun asks getting up to walk me.

Junho and Chansung shaking their heads at us, “Melody is at JYPE all the time, hyung.” Chansung says casually. “Or do you mean back here around the dorm again?”

“Yeah, Melody you’re always welcomed here.” Junho shoots back. “Come back any time, even if it’s to see Nichkhun.” He says cheekily.

I laugh, stopping Nichkhun from saying something to them. “The same for mine and Julia’s dorm, you guys should come around for dinner, Julia is a great cook.” I say as I leave the living room.

Wooyoung and Julia both watch Nichkhun as he leans down and kisses me good bye. “I know, I know,” Nichkhun says smirking at me. “I’ll behave, I promise.” He says playfully when I give him my usual look about skinship in front of others.

“I’ll call you later,” I say as Julia and I leave.

We walk silently to the car, Julia obviously being a bit peeved with me. “So how exactly did all that happen?” She asks once we’re in the car. “Because I thought you were just going to talk with him.”

I lean back a wonder the same thing. “I was honest with him, Julia, I’m sorry.” I mutter knowing this whole mess has just gotten bigger now.

“You look happy there with him,” She says quietly, “You looked rather at home. I know you have this whole thing about not wanting to be in love and not wanting to be tied down by something as ‘trivial’ as love, but Melanie, you looked really happy.” Julia says sincerely and it scares me for a moment that I’d looked at all like that. “Anyways, let’s get you back to Cube, I brought a change of clothes, Junhyung is waiting in the third conference room with some people from JYPE and Mark.”

“I’ll change and head up there then.” I say quietly. “Jules,” I say feeling myself waiver. “When we get back, we have a lot to talk about don’t we?” I ask quietly.

“Yeah, we do.” Julia says seriously. “I’m not mad, I’m just worried. You’ve kind of put a huge bump down, not for us as group or even as friends, just I don’t know what exactly will happen to you personally.”

 

As I get out of the car and head into a bathroom to change I consider the damage done, how I’m afraid all over that I’ll get lost in Nichkhun, that there is the possibility all over that we could be together again, and this time I won’t have any excuses not to fall in love, not to let myself be happy with Nichkhun. For the time being I decide to focus on the now, Nichkhun isn’t the pressing matter, it’s this meeting about Mark and I getting stuck in an elevator.

As I walk into the conference room, I pick up on how casual everything is, Mark is sitting quietly texting on his phone, and Junhyung is talking to some of the public relation staff at Cube and JYPE.

I take a seat next to Mark, the only open seat. “How are you feeling today Melanie?” One of the PR people asks me.

“Fine,” I answer giving a smile, though I feel troubled here in this room. Once everyone is sure Mark and I are comfortable they ask us about everything leading up to Mark and me getting on the elevator and why we were. “Mark was walking with me to get my phone, Julia, Jinyoung, Jackson, Cheonmi, Jaebum, Mark and I all made plans to hang out last night after we finished the events.” I explain.

“I went with Melody to get her phone; she’d left it in the dressing room on the ninth floor.” Mark says. “We were between the sixth and seventh floors when the elevator stopped; we fell back and hit our heads on the wall.” Mark says calmly.

“We used the emergency phone to let them know what was going on, we called our friends to let them know we were stuck on the elevator and that it’d be a while until they would be able to fix it.”

“What did you both do in the mean time?” Another person asks.

Mark answers this. “We played games, talked; we took a short nap, and just waited.” He answers truthfully.

“Afterwards,” The same person asks.

I let out a sigh, frustrated by how long this is taking. “We got off, walked down to the first floor with Julia and Jinyoung.” I state. “Then we were greeted by our other friends, Junhyung-oppa and Nichkhun-sunbae,” I leave out Henry and Himchan, and I remember to use honorifics. “Nichkhun-sunbae escorted us to see the paramedics that were called, he escorted us back and then we all went home.” I answer.

“What did the paramedics tell you?”

Mark sighs as well, sounding equally as frustrated. “That we should rest, take it easy. GOT7 and I will be taking a short break before we continue on with preparations for our comeback.”

“As will Euphonious,” I state repeating what Julia told me as I changed. “We want to be able to give all that we can and be sure we’re in our best shape before taking on our next album.” I say honestly.

We’re questioned a bit more before we’re both released, Junhyung stays back a moment before catching up with us. “Julia already headed back to the dorm, I’ll drive you back,” Junhyung says, turning to Mark he smiles. “Do you need a ride?”

Mark nods his head, glancing back to see all the reps talking in the conference room still, “If it’s not any trouble.”

Junhyung shakes his head. “None, come on let’s get you guys back home.”

The ride is awkward and very quiet, Mark only talking to give instructions on how to get to GOT7’s apartment complex. “It is right here, thank you sunbae for the ride,” Mark says as gets out. “I’ll see you around Melody.”

As soon as Mark is in the building safely Junhyung gives me an exasperated look. “Nichkhun, you dated Nichkhun?”

“Yes, I dated Nichkhun,” I state slightly annoyed. “I don’t see why it matters.” I answer not at all understanding why Junhyung is irritated with me. “I dated lots of other guys before I dated Nichkhun or even Henry.” I state not at all ashamed of the statement.

Junhyung drives, he seems upset and very angry with my choice. “It’s just seeing the other three like that, seeing them still so concerned and worried like me,” Junhyung says leading off. “They all still love you.”

“Junhyung,” I say slowly wishing the car ride wouldn’t last this long. “I think it’s time for you to start seeing other girls, to meet more people.” I say slowly and very carefully, “Even if it’s just making new friends.”

“You mean it’s time to really move on.” Junhyung states seriously, “To let go of you.” His voice is cold and seems void of anything happy. I’m worried about Junhyung, while I want to stay close I know that might not do what I intend. “Melanie, you’re saying to forget there being a second chance for you and I as any more than friends.”

I let out a deep breath, considering how I should answer, I think about last night, I think about Nichkhun, I think about what I’d told Mark in that elevator. “Junhyung, there won’t be. That’s not where you and I are heading anymore.” I answer in a sad voice, and I am sad.

“I can tell you didn’t go home last night, you have this refreshed and recharged look, even if it’s toned down by stress and everything going on. You went home with Nichkhun, didn’t you?” Junhyung asks as he pulls up at a red light.

I don’t say anything, I’m not sure how I tell him that I had, though I’m sure my silence and inability to deny it is speaking for me. Junhyung and I don’t say anything for the rest of the ride, I can tell he’s hurt, that he’s sad, that Junhyung wishes he never asked, and that he wishes I wasn’t in the car. That Junhyung is furious with me for a lot of things.

Junhyung stops in front of the dorm. “I’m sorry,” I say trying to figure out how to put it all into words. “I really am.” I say finally, unable to form any other sentences. Getting out of the car I watch as Junhyung doesn’t even wait for me to get in the building, he just heads off.

I walk slowly into the building and once inside I quickly get on the elevator and wonder how I’d let this mess get this big. Inside I find Julia sketching on the couch, a worried look plastered all over her face. “I take it you and Junhyung talked on the way home.”

“We did.”

Julia sets the sketchbook down, patting for me to sit next to her. “What happened last night exactly? You said you were going to talk to Nichkhun and then you end up just staying the night?” Julia asks quietly. “Did you sleep with him?”

“Yes, we started talking and I ended up being very honest with him, told him why I broke up with him.” I say sighing heavily. “Nichkhun leaned over and we kissed, I let go and just went with it. I told him to take me home with him.”

Julia asks the same question I’m asking. “So what happens then? Was it just a moment of weakness, a one night kind of thing or will it become regular; are you two going to start dating again?”

I shrug my shoulder completely unsure what last night had meant for Nichkhun and me. “It’s like you said, I’d been happy, I woke up happy, felt happy, but that was ignoring all the problems that come with this. Jules,” I say quietly. “What if this is my second chance to make things right with Nichkhun?” I ask feeling guilty about Junhyung. “And how do I fix things with Junhyung?”

“From what I can tell, you and Junhyung are destined for being friends Melody. Junhyung seems pretty mad at you as is.” Julia says while sighing. “I think it’ll be best if you just let him sort through it on his own.”

“I figured as much,” I mutter leaning over onto her shoulder. “I told Junhyung it’s time for him to really move on.” I mumble quietly, Julia wraps her arm around my shoulder patting it gently. “He knew I slept with Nichkhun last night too.”

“It probably is for the best that you don’t seek Junhyung out for a while. Just keep everything for work.” Julia says soothingly. After a few minutes pass Julia asks, “I’m just curious, but do you ever have drunk ?”

I let out a short laugh, I grin at my best friend. “I try not to, not when I’m single and when I’m seeing someone I like it better when we’re both under the influence thank you.” I say sassily. “Jeez, I do have standards you know.”

“I do, that’s why it’s fun to tease you.” Julia says grinning rather pleased. “Besides, you’ll need all the giggles you can get; I have a feeling things are going to be a bit rocky.” Julia says as we settle back down on to the couch.


 There shall be more Mark soon! ^^