The complications of Risks

The Risk of Flying

With help from our very nice sunbaes in 4Minute, we managed to rent out an event hall for the party; we didn’t even have to worry about getting decorations or anything, someone last minute canceled and Hyuna was able to swoop everything up. With music playing and the numerous people that actually came, and the people they brought the whole idea was well worth it.

I glance around from my spot on the second floor at the first floor. “Our idea evolved into something totally different than what we were expecting.” Julia says coming next to me. “Though I guess it helps that Hyuna took a very active interest in this whole party idea.”

“Well you know how she likes having fun.” I say as I glance over my shoulder at Mark. It’s kinda weird, I’ve found myself to be extremely aware of him, glancing to see where he is, us being friends seems a bit surreal. I smile at Julia, a bit impressed that whichever of the three convinced the other two to dress up as anime characters. Jinyoung, Jaebum and Julia came to the party as Kakashi, Obito and Rin, Jackson and Cheonmi as Wendy and Peter Pan, Ilhoon and Dayoung came as Jack and Sally. “I like the whole ninja thing you’ve got going on.” I tease my friend good-naturedly.

“You know, you and Mark are pretty cute together.” Julia says while sipping on her punch. “I mean aside from your no romance thing you have going on.” Dayoung happens upon us and grins at me encouragingly.

I glare at my friend as I eye Mark across the room talking to Ilhoon, Cheonmi and Jackson. “We’re friends, besides I’m pretty sure I’m not his type.” I mutter before sipping my drink. After all Mark and I have only just now figured out how to get along most of the time around the others and have it not get weird. That’s ignoring the fact that I’ve drunkenly made out with him, soberly checked to make sure we’d drunkenly kissed. Needless to say, I’m pretty sure since he hasn’t brought it up since; it wasn’t really a big deal to him.

“Oh right, his type isn’t mind-blowingly beautiful, it’s more drop dead gorgeous. It isn’t like you’re either of those or anything, or that you’re intelligent and can get him to talk more or anything.” Dayoung says joining the conversation. “You’re totally not his type.”

“Melody isn’t whose type?” Jaebum ask joining in as well, walking up with a cup of punch with Jinyoung on his tail. “Cause I kind of find that hard to believe.”

“S-shut up, and it doesn’t matter, I’m not looking for anything like that. Right now I just want to figure out this whole being famous job stuff.” I say trying to steer the conversation away from me and dating, specifically me and Mark dating, because that would not end well.

“Melody thinks she isn’t Mark’s type.” Julia says filling Jaebum and Jinyoung in. “Which Dayoung and I believe to be complete and total bull.”

Jinyoung sends me this apologetic look. “Agreed, but if Melody doesn’t see it then it really doesn’t matter.”

“Even if the chemistry is there,” Jaebum chimes in while nodding his head as though this whole topic is actually valid. “But you know, you do that, sort your life out.” He says addressing me.

Jinyoung smirks at me before turning to the rest of the group. “Mark has a possessive streak to him, he gets pretty jealous, I bet if someone were to try and worm their way in he’d put an end to it real fast.”

“I’m leaving seeing as I’m obviously not included in this conversation.” I mutter walking off, I find myself sitting next to Mark listening to his talk about super heroes with Ilhoon and Jackson, which they are very into.

“You make a really great Gwen,” Cheonmi says nudging me as the boys go on and on. “You look troubled.”

I shake my head and force a smile. In all reality, I’ve had what Jinyoung said stuck in my head. “Just thinking, enjoying the party?” I ask her smirking slightly, I glance around to the other people that Ilhoon and Julia thought to invite. A lot of people from Cube, JYP, even some of the people she knew from YG, not to mention her bugging me to invite anyone from SM that wouldn’t be at the SM party.

All in all there is way more people here than I thought there would be. “You’re not supposed to be thinking too much at a party.” Mark chides me; I blush from the close contact, and partly that he’d heard what I’d said.

“He’s right,” Cheonmi says smiling at me; she gives me this sort of envious look before glancing to Jackson who is too enthralled with the conversation to notice.

I send my friend a knowing smile winking slightly. “Ilhoon, Dayoung is looking for you, something about a kiss or something.” I say weeding out the distraction, well part of it, but I’m pretty sure I can get Mark to catch on.

He instantly says his goodbyes and heads off in the direction I’ve pointed him out in. I place my hand on Mark’s and tug him to follow me. “Help me get some punch,” I say nodding over to Cheonmi biting her lip slightly.

“Sure thing,” Mark says smiling over at Jackson. “We’ll be back.” He says nonchalantly to Jackson who is now smiling at Cheonmi and waving us off without even a glance or acknowledgement of what we’ve said.

“They’re definitely well on their way to being a couple.” I say as Mark leads us through people and eventually out to a balcony.

“I agree; Jackson hasn’t shut up about her lately.” Mark says. “It’s funny because whenever I bring it up or even Jinyoung he just gets this kinda determined look and denies it.” He says while shaking his head.

I glance at our hands realizing I’m still holding his, I tug mine away blushing slightly. “Cheonmi does the same thing, she mentions Jackson more, but you know our shy friend.” I say looking down at the sidewalk below us, people walking by unaware of what’s going on inside.

“You’ve been pretty distracted lately.” Mark notes quietly, the sound of music muffled from the closed door. “Like you’ve only been half paying attention.”

I glance to him and smile; in all honesty, I’m trying to not pay so much attention to him. Mark has this weird effect on me and I really don’t want to explore it when I’m not even sure of myself right now. “Just kinda struggling with work is all.” I say quietly. Not a lie at all, I’ve kind of lost inspiration to write lyrics these last few weeks.

Mark lets out a small sigh. “Since you and Hyung broke up?”

Biting my lip I nod my head, though I suspect it has more to do with the night Mark and I out drunk. “A lot went on then.” I mumble unsure how to even address my reluctance to think about what could have occurred and what obviously didn’t happen.

“There you guys are,” Jinyoung says grinning at us. “Dayoung wants to get a picture of all of us before Junhyung makes her leave.” He explains waving for us to follow.

Mark takes my hand before I can react and leads me through the crowd. “Later,” He mutters to me as he stands beside me when we reach Dayoung pushing her phone at Junhyung, demanding him to take a picture for all of us.

 

~~~

 

“So you and Melody were kinda cozy when I found you guys out on the balcony.” Jinyoung says while he and I lounge around the dorm by ourselves. “Kinda sorry I interrupted.”

“Nothing would have happened.” I tell him indifferently. Nothing has happened between us since she kissed me that morning after we hung out just us two. Not that I’ve told anyone, it’s another one of those things about Melody and me, we keep stuff between us. We don’t share it, what happens and what we say is just for us, not to be gossip for fans, strangers, or even our close friends. I like that, it’s Melody and me.

“But you like her?” Jinyoung presses. I roll my eyes and opt not to answer. “Mark she’ll slip away again if you don’t say something to her.”

I glance to Jinyoung debating if I should confide in him or not. “Fine,” I mutter deciding to just go with it and say something on the matter of my not so frivolous crush on Melody. “It doesn’t matter if I like her or if she likes me. I’m afraid—”

Before I can continue on Jinyoung interrupts me. “Of what, Melody is obviously into you, even if she doesn’t realize it! You two would be natural! You’d guys would be perfect together.”

I roll my eyes and shake my head. “I’m afraid of what could happen if we wouldn’t work out, even if we’re natural.” I confess worriedly. “She’s friends with Hyung, even after them breaking up twice.” I say feeling frustrated by their relationship, by how friendly they are, how aloof she is with him, by how she is with Junhyung, Henry and Himchan. “She’s friendly and acts like they never dated, like that time with him never really mattered. It hurts Nichkhun, when Melody isn’t looking he looks pained.” I explain gravely. “I know that isn’t how she sees it, but I don’t want to be in that same positon as hyung. I don’t want to end up casted aside because she needs or suddenly wants something different.”

“So she’ll be around, what’s the point of liking her and not saying anything?” Jinyoung asks confusedly.

I shake my head, he’s still doesn’t get it. “No, Melody and I just became friends; I’ve finally gotten her to talk to me, to be interested in me. I don’t want to go back to us being this or to what we were before. I rather not know what it would be like if we dated if it means going back to being just friends.” I say feeling angry with the words. “She’s too flighty.”

“So you’d rather it all be unrequited?! What if it gets too much? Huh, what if you can’t take it when she is ready to date again?” Jinyoung questions me at bit aggressively. “What happens if she turns to you and tells you about whatever guy she happens to start liking and it isn’t you?”

“You don’t get it do you? They all still love her, they were all left behind anyways.” I say hating the words, hating that they’d date her again, they’d be with her again for the chance to have her. “Melody runs at the first hint things are getting too serious.” I glance to the side feeling a painful sort of jab in my chest. “I don’t want to wake up one day to find out she’s just simply lost interest me or is tried or ready to move on to something else, or even worse that she’s decided on something better for herself, someone or something that doesn’t include me.”

“You’ve given this serious thought.” Jinyoung says after a moment.

I nod my head and glance back at him before covering my eyes. “Since I saw her again; I wanted to make a bigger more permanent impression on her than the first time.” I confess quietly.

“Hence you being horrible towards her.” Jinyoung says while sighing. “You’re making this sound complicated.”

“It isn’t.” I state calmly fighting to keep myself in control. “Being her friend like this saves me from the most pain.”

“It also keeps your from seeing if you both end up happy together.” Jinyoung points out. “You’re not taking the risk to see if the prospect is worth it.”

“Or not worth losing,” I refute seriously. “Besides, at this point it really doesn’t matter.” I say attempting to end the conversation. “Melody isn’t looking to date anyone; she wants to keep things simple.”

“Whatever you say, I still think you’re making a mistake.” Jinyoung says getting up. “But you’re my friend and I wouldn’t want to watch you trying to get over Melody moving on from you, even if I don’t think that’s what would happen.”


I've had this chapter kinda planned out, at least the latter half of it.
Anywyas, let me know what you guys think of knowing how Mark feels and his thoughts.
c:
Until next time my ducks. <3