Extra: Strong Enough

The Risk of Flying

“Do you think that we’ll end up like Dayoung and Ilhoon?” I ask quietly as we watch the now awkward couple avoid looking at each other. “I mean we all thought they’d end up married.” I say to Mark worriedly.

“Are you asking me to marry you right now?” Mark jokes smiling at me, trying to get my mind off the topic, but failing. “Because I think Jinyoung and Julia have our entire wedding planned out.”

“Are you saying that we won’t end up like Dayhoon?” I ask curiously as I glance back over at Dayoung who is now walking away from Ilhoon with a rather upset expression, Yoora quickly walks over to her and ushers her away. Ilhoon having watched looks particularly troubled by this as he hesitates from going on his way.

“Melanie,” Mark says while squeezing my hand, I look over at him seeing a concerned look on his face. “I said I hope we don’t.” I smile at him, though still bothered by how Dayoung explained why they broke up. Just that, things fell apart and wouldn’t be the same for whatever reason. “You’re not going to let up on this are you?” Mark asks softly.

I glance across the cafeteria here in Cube; Ilhoon has joined Peniel while Dayoung was ushered out of the room by Yoora. I glance back to Mark and bite my lip. “How did you wait for me to finally see you? How did you put up with me being oblivious for so long?” I question him warily. “I mean you saw the worst sides of me, the ones I’m hesitant to let anyone see.”

Mark smiles at me and lets out a small sigh. “I couldn’t look at anyone else and see them the same way I see you. You’re been brave enough to be you. When you were a trainee, debuting as a newbie, and even after the scandal of you being a regular person and dating, you were brave enough to get back up and be you. It took a lot to shake you and you did kind of lose you footing for a while, but you bounced back. Melanie I waited because I wanted to be that brave to be me.” Mark says simply as though getting to this point had been a walk in the park.

Mark though as usual pushes my worries away and lets me enjoy the company. “One of these days you won’t be able to talk me down.” I say slyly. “I’m going to be furious with you and we’ll have this huge fight, and you’ll wish you saved up all your good karma for that moment.” I say playfully as I return back to our easy going pace.

“Are you kidding me?” Mark says with a huge grin on his face. “It’ll be the other way around; you’ll be at a loss when I get pissed.”

“Yeah right,” I say smirking. “I’m more than a little bit sure that I can persuade you towards something else.” I say suggestively, Mark in turn blushes and looks away unable to call my bluff. “You’re cute when you get all shy like that.” I mumble with a rather proud grin on my face as I watch Mark.

All my cute boyfriend can manage is a simply, “Shut up.”

While I worry that someday in the future Mark and I will end up like Dayoung and Ilhoon, those fears are pushed back by Mark. I’m completely aware that something might happen between us where Mark nor myself will be enough to push whatever happens away, but I’m hoping we’re both strong enough to endure.


 

I was given the idea a while ago for a sequel for my Life Just Happens story (Ilhoon and Dayoung), one that
I've been very interested in pursing. So this is sort of a peek into that.
Also a bit of fluff for Mark and Melody!
And with that, concludes Risk of Flying!
I hope you guys enjoyed reading this as much as I did writing it.
Thank you all so much for sticking around until the end!
Until the sequel my ducks!