Confirm, Deny, or No Comment?

The Risk of Flying

It has now been three weeks since my private life was thrown out into the open; Cube on my behalf is suing for defamation, invasion of my private life, slander, and the men who claim to have had a relationship of any kind with me, but did not. Since they’ve released several statements defending that it’s normal to date and to have relationships, all of which adds up to me still being thrown into the spotlight for something I don’t care to be in.

“How can you not know what to get Julia?” I ask Mark amusedly. “She told everyone what she wants for her birthday.” I say finding all this to be a bit unnecessary.

Mark rolls his eyes at me. “I know that, but everyone basically got all of what she wants anyways. Just help me pick out a shirt she’ll like.” Mark says in a rather exasperated kind of way. “I’m not really good with this whole shopping for other people.”

“Let’s get this over with.” I say with a smirk on my face.

As it turns out Mark is rather good, he’s picked out several shirts that Julia likes, and I say likes because she already has them. “Are you sure you’re not secretly Julia?” I question as he picks another shirt my roommate owns already.

Mark sighs annoyed. “I’m not, why does she own so many clothes?” He asks frustrated as he places the shirt back on the rack.

I shrug my shoulders finding this whole experience to be extremely amusing. “Just keep looking.” I tell him as I shop for myself, seeing as I’ve had Julia’s gift stashed away for weeks. “I’m sure you’ll find something.” I tell him optimistically.

Eventually Mark does find clothes that Julia in fact does not own and she would love. “Alright, I’ll get her these three shirts.” Mark says relieved. I follow behind happily, “Aren’t you going to get that dress?”

“Naw, they don’t have it in my size.” I tell him while shrugging my shoulders. “Besides, I have enough dresses that I rarely wear.” I admit cheekily. Looking around the store I notice a girl that’s been in a few of the stores that Mark and I have been in. I glance to Mark nervously as I notice a girl staring at both of us rather intently. “I think she knows who we are or at least one of us.” I mumble to him looking down at the ground, pleading silently that if she does recognize us she is either a fan, and if she isn’t she only recognizes Mark. I can’t even begin to explain my hatred of running into antis in person.

“Well we better get out of here cause she’s making her way over to us,” Mark says as he hurries to pay for the garment. I look at the people behind us in line anxiously as the girl tromps right up to us, adverting my gaze to the bag being handed to Mark as she makes a loud clicking sound with .

“You don’t have any shame, going around and dragging other people’s name through the mud with yours.” The girl states obviously addressing me, her tone is condescending and hateful. “Isn’t it bad enough that Cube has to be associated with you?”

Mark grabs my hand and tries to get me away from the commotion that she’s drawing to us. “I’m sorry,” Mark mutters to me. I know that he hadn’t thought something like this would happen, hell I didn’t think it would.

The girl though is far from being done as she states loudly, and being the first and only person to do so in this kind of setting to me so far, calls me the one thing I’ve feared most. “Melody you’re nothing but a , sleeping your way into this business right? Who did you have to do to get accepted under Cube?”

I’m shocked as Mark stops dead in his tracks and turns around. “What did you just say?” He asks sounding rather angry. “Melody is extremely talented and in no way that vulgar term.”

The girl simply scoffs. “And what’s it to you? Are you her special friend too?” The girl asks while crossing her arms. “I personally like GOT7, but it’s a mistake to hang out with that so much. Don’t be surprised if you suddenly find that she’s abandoned you for someone else.”

I bite my lip nervously as people have zeroed in on us, I notice several people filming the interaction. I tug on Mark’s arm nervously. “Let’s just go, it doesn’t really matter.” I plea worriedly, hating this kind of attention, hating that this is happening at all.  I don’t want my troubles to invade on Mark or GOT7 at all.

Mark looks at me and frowns. “It does though,” He whispers, his attention snapping back to the girl as she makes another snide remark about my promiscuity. “It matters to me because we happen to be close.” He states firmly. “Melody hurting hurts me.” He says rather annoyed as he has had enough of the whole situation and leads me out of there.

~~~

“They’re really mad.” Mark says while sighing, “But that girl was just so annoying.” He says while running his hand through his hair.

I grab both hands and hold them. “Thank you for that.” I say quietly.

Mark simply smiles at me as we wait for verdict about what happened yesterday. Needless to say the videos went viral and everyone is convinced that Mark and I dating. “I’d do it again.” Mark says quietly.

“I wouldn’t ask you to.” I say simply, Mark’s hand is holding mine as we sit nervously outside of this particular meeting.

Mark and I sit in silence as we wait. I glance over at Mark while biting my lip. “I did it because I wanted to, don’t you dare apologize.” Mark says quietly, smirking slightly, probably from my surprised expression. “It’s written all over your face.” He says poking my forehead. “It really doesn’t bother me; someone should have said something in your defense a long time ago.” He says quietly. “I’m sorry…” Mark mutters.

“I wouldn’t have wanted anyone to stick their neck out for me like this, but it means a lot to me that you are.” I say while squeezing his hand a little tighter. This isn’t something that I’m ever going to forget. “Besides, none of this is your fault, don’t apologize.”

“I didn’t want you to think that’s what everyone thinks. It isn’t, people are just afraid to contradict anyone else at this point.” Mark says while letting out an irritated breath. “I’d do it again for you.” Mark says seriously.

I simply squeeze my friend’s hand tighter. I look up as the doors open, Mark and I both standing as a couple people exit the room, Mark and I are waved in and shown two seats. “At this point the rumors have blown up, between you and the others always being together and the elevator accident people are sure you there is more to your relationship than friends.” A man says, one of the ones from the elevator incident I think.

Both company presidents are here and looking at Mark and me both very seriously. “While it would be beneficial to your case Melody-sshi, it’s unfair to Mark and the rest of GOT7.” Jinyoung-sshi says seriously. “Though Mark and the others have expressed their willingness to help you previously.” I snap my head to Mark frowning. Jinyoung-sshi chuckles slightly. “Something I’m assuming you weren’t aware of, regardless, in this situation you have a few options.” He says leading off looking over at Hong Seonsaeng-nim.

“You and Julia will be pushing back your comeback,” He states carefully. “As far as the relationship, we’ll follow your discretion. Whether you’d like to confirm, decline, or not say anything.”

“Declining, Confirming, or staying silent is beneficial in this situation, Mark has stirred up empathy for you Melody.” The man from before states, he lists the possible benefits of each choice, the downfalls, and everything that comes with what we both decide to do.

Mark glances at me a moment and then back to the others in the room. “Could we have a few moments to discuss it alone?” He asks. We’re given head nods, the next thing I know Mark takes my hand again and leads me out of the room.

“What’s to discuss, we deny it.” I say frowning. “Mark, I don’t want you or the others to be drawn in by all of it. It’s bad enough that Julia is suffering with me!” I say angrily.

“That’s why we need to talk about this.” Mark says while crossing his arms. “The guys and I already talked about this; we’ve talked to Julia, who said you’d say no.”

“About us faking a relationship?” I ask frowning even more. “Is that what got me in this mess? The fact that I’ve dated so much, and that I’ve slept around?”

Mark sends me an unamused stare. “You told me that it wasn’t like that.”

“It wasn’t.” I say frustrated from everything happening. “But that’s exactly how it’s being portrayed and how it’s being perceived.”

Mark sighs and pouts slightly, “I’m not suggesting it because it’s our last option. I’m suggesting it because it could help.”

“Or it could kill nine careers.” I say seriously. “Stuff like this can completely eliminate GOT7 and Euphonious.” I say worriedly.

Mark smiles at me in that sure kind of way. “It won’t, you’re worth the risk Melody.” I stare at Mark, the sentiment shocks me. “Don’t look so surprised.”

“I am surprised.” I say quietly. “Mark this could ruin you.”

He sighs and lets his arms drop to his side, quietly with a serious expression Mark says, “It could save you.”

“It might not.” I add on quietly as I rock on my feet.

“It might not ruin me.” Mark counters.

I shake my head worriedly. “Would the rest of the boys be okay with this?! Would Julia?” I ask Mark a bit louder. “I’m not going to agree to something like this unless they’re all on board.” I say while shaking my head. “Hell, I might not even be on board even if they are.”

“We can ask them. They’re all here waiting anyways.” Mark says seriously. I look away from Mark and shake my head again. “You know you really are a Flight Risk.”

My mind is trying to process just how much Mark means to me and how much I have to mean to him. “You’re a very steady pilot.” I counter. “If everyone agrees we can do whatever you want.” I tell Mark calmly. “Confirm, deny, or say nothing. I’ll leave it up to you.” I say looking up at Mark.

I follow behind Mark as we texts everyone to meet us outside the meeting room. I let Mark do all the talking, I let him list out everything that we were told in the meeting. “Melody won’t go through with any of them without everyone’s approval.” Mark says seriously.

“Confirming it could definitely cause quite the uproar.” Julia says seriously. “It could distract from the drama some of those kids are trying to kick up, and it could soften the backlash.”

“I agree.” Jinyoung murmurs. “Though this is also a personal sacrifice for both of you,” He adds on. “You’ll have to really sell the relationship, appearances, talking about each other, dates, everything, can you both do that.”

Jaebum glances over at the others. “What about you guys?” He asks BamBam, Youngjae, and Yugyeom. “What would you be okay with doing?”

BamBam glances at me then the others. “I’m okay with Hyung if he confirms.”

Youngjae bites his lip. “I know,” I say quietly. “It means lying to a lot of people, a lot of people who love you.”

“And you.” Yugyeom says honestly. “People still love you.”

I smile at him and shake my head. “Not right now, they’re too busy shaming me.” I say seriously. “If you’re not comfortable with it, it’s okay to say it.” I tell him not at all bothered by his hesitance. “It’s more important to me that everyone states what they want Mark to do.”

“You’re important to me.” Julia says seriously and in an angry tone. “I know it bothers you more than you lead on.” She says breathing heavily. “I’m okay; I’m not bothered by any of this at all! You’re more than your past, more than what people who don’t even know you think of you. Melody put more stock in you dammit.” Julia says while walking over to me and jabbing my shoulder a bit roughly. “You’re amazing; you’re a talented artist, songwriter, singer, rapper, dancer, and person. You’re amazing.” She says poking me with each word. “Can you please stop trying to protect everyone from you, we’re all here because we love you.”

“I think Hyung should confirm.” Yugyeom says quietly. “Noona, you gave me a lot of great advice before. You might not remember this, but before you left JYP you stuck up for me when some older trainees were making fun of me. You told me that I had a lot of potential, that I’d definitely make it, just to work hard and be diligent about what I needed to do to accomplish what I wanted to do.”

I look down at my feet, “I hadn’t realized it was you.” I say quietly.

Yugyeom smiles at me. “Noona you’re a major reason why I decided to stay and keep training. I want you to keep working so you can do what you want, I could never think less of you. I know what kind of person you really are.”

Jackson who’s been oddly silent walks over to me and wraps me in a big hug. “You’re important to me.” He says simply. “You’re a real friend and I know that this has been eating you up, but everyone thought it’d be best not to talk about it with you, that you’d only brush it off.” Jackson’s grip tightens on me. “I thought it was wrong, you’ve been hurting and I’ve just wanted to hug you all this time. I’m okay with whatever everyone decides, none of this changes the fact that you’re my friend.”

“Jackson’s right,” Youngjae says smiling at me. “We’re all friends this changes nothing between us.”

Jaebum smiles at me. “I think you have your answer Melody.”

I feel tears spring to my eyes; I wrap my arms around Jackson, hugging him tightly. “I love you guys.” I mutter into Jackson’s shoulder. “I always will.” I mumble as I feel a hand on my back, as I pull away from Jackson I glance at Mark and wipe my tears away. “I’ll never be able to repay you for any of this.”

“I just want you to be happy.” Mark says honestly as he pulls me into a hug. “Come on, let’s go in.” The others follow in behind us, taking the seats next to us, Mark holding my hand through the rest of the meeting.

“We want to confirm.” Mark says confidently.


I have had this idea for a while now
I'm glad I've gotten to the point where I can introduce it.
As always I hope you guys are enjoying the story so far!
Another update today because it's Friday, I have another chapter and
it's snowing outside where I live. c:
I have perfect writing weather!

Till next time my ducks.