Breaking Point

The Risk of Flying

It’d taken me a long time to calm down enough to move to my bed to sulk. I’m able to fall asleep easily, something I’ve always been pretty good at. I wake up too soon from a dreamless sleep and find the energy and motivation to take a shower.

For a while I stare at my reflection, the red eyes, sleep dazed look, and the overall somber mood I seem to be emitting only serves to remind me of why I feel like I do. I’m not sure how long I’ve been staring at my mirror image, but tearing my gaze away eases me enough to start getting ready to take the shower I want.

“Hey,” I hear Julia say while knocking on the bathroom door. “We’re going to get some food and just hang out or something with everyone, hurry up!” She says loudly.

I jump surprised from the sudden intrusion. “Just go without me,” I call over the sound of the water. “I just got in. If I’m hungry when I get out I’ll meet you guys wherever.” I say hoping she just goes with it. While it isn’t a lie, I’m not exactly in the mood to go out after last night.

“Are you sure?” She calls back not sounding at all put off by what I’ve said. “Jaebum picked the usual place, if you decide to come.” She says after a minute. “You better not be blowing us off so that you can sneak into Cube to practice either!”

“No, just a lazy kinda day you know.” I say trying to sound like I’m relaxing and enjoying my shower. “I’ll text you if I decide to show up.” I say simply.

Julia either deciding not to comment or not noticing says, “Alright then, we’ll see you when we see you. Bye Mel.”

“See you later Jules.” I call back extremely relieved I don’t have to suffer the ordeal of telling my best friend quite yet that I’ve been hurt so much that I can’t bare it, to the point that physically it hurts, the ache isn’t just something I can ignore, it’s something I should have spoken up for a long time ago.

For a while I just sit in the shower wondering what I should do next, how I should act around the others, what I should say to Mark the next time I see him. I wonder about how things will change, how things will play out when Mark and I split publicly and to our friends. How will they handle it? I mean I’m obviously going to respect Mark’s desire of not wanting to see me; I’ve come to care too much for him to make him miserable. I only wish I’d refused him about faking this relationship.

Finally getting out I get dressed and do my makeup, leaving all bundled up and with my face obscured I end up walking around Seoul alone enjoying the solitude of being in public and not bothered by anyone. I ignore the few texts I get, all from Julia asking to see if I’m sure I won’t be joining them for the afternoon. It takes me a while till I final decide to respond and tell her I’m positive, that I’ve found something else to do to occupy my time. Telling her I’m just recharging on alone time.

I spend the whole day wondering if Mark went with them; my thoughts keep circling back to last night and how I had an entirely different conversation with Mark than I had wanted. This is entirely different than the life I would have had ten years ago, but then again, ten years ago things were simple. Ten years ago I’d still believed in happy endings, not to say that I don’t now, just that they’re much harder to come by it feels like. The stories, songs, movies, and adults never tell child-you how much work it takes to get a happy ending and that any kind of mistake, big or small, can ruin your happy ending or delay it for years. We’re never given these warnings; it isn’t until we get older that we realize just what it takes to get that desired happy ending.

Maybe I just need a break from everything, some distance to get some perspective on everything, Mark isn’t everything, he’s one guy and I sure as hell can’t force him to do anything he doesn’t want to, I wouldn’t and don’t want to. Already making my mind up, I quickly head back to the dorm.

Pulling out my suitcase I start packing some clothes, a week’s worth. I make sure I have my wallet and cash, my traveling essentials.

When I’m finally done I head to Cube, Dohyun and Junhyung will be discussing Euphonious’ comeback there, making sure everything is in order for us to have our comeback in early spring. As I arrive at Cube I quickly make my way to Euphonious’ practice room, as I enter both are rather immersed in the conversation until I get their attention.

“It’s a surprise to see you this early in the day; I’d have thought you and Julia would be busy recovering from your fun or out having more.” Junhyung muses with a smile on his face. The smile quickly drops when I shrug my shoulders. “Did something happen, Melanie?”

I nod my head and let out a deep breath. “Oppa, I want to ask you a favor.” I say directing my attention to Dohyun, Euphonious’ manager.

Dohyun is looking at me just as seriously as Junhyung is. “Sure, go ahead and ask.”

“Julia and I each have a week’s worth of vacation, right?” I ask keeping my expression calm, even if I’d rather be at the dorm crying and trying to figure out where I’d gone wrong with everything. Dohyun nods his head slowly. “Could I use my week now?” I ask finally.

Dohyun frowns, but nods his head. “Yeah, I suppose you can.” He glances at me before looking over at Junhyung who has a confused look on his face. “I suppose you’re all ready to go then.” He says getting up. “Do you know where you’re going to go for a week?”

“New York City, I’d like to get away from Seoul for a little bit.” I say honestly, even if I’m not interested in explaining why I want to get away, even if it’s only for a week.

Dohyun sighs getting up. “So you’re really just here for your passport and to let me know that you need a break.” He says walking pass me, “I’ll get your passport, but Melody you know that you’re not gonna escape anything really, right?”

“I just need to get out for a little.” I whisper while nodding my head. “I know I’m just putting it off, but I need to get out.”

“I’ll be right back,” Dohyun says simply leaving the room.

Junhyung gets up and walks over me, a frown very evident on his face. “What happened?” He asks gently his arms stopping short of pulling me into a hug, he looks away and sighs. “Look, we’re friends and being close to you I know that you haven’t told Julia yet.”

“I’ll text her when I get to the airport.” I say calmly. “Besides she and everyone else are probably still enjoying their lunch. I don’t want to ruin that right now, they’re all really happy.”

Junhyung simply nods his head, and then asks, “This is about something more than that bull scandal, right?” I nod my head before looking away from Junhyung. “Just be careful alright? You need to check in since I happen to know you’re going to take the time to be alone. Once a day, you got it?” Junhyung says seriously. “No excuses.”

“Once a day, letting you know where I am and what I’m up to.” I say repeating his rules, the implied and stated ones. “I’ll be fine Oppa.” I promise him.

Before the conversation and delve any deeper Dohyun comes back in, my passport in hand. “Alright here you go, I’ll put the paper work in, and you need to be back by the tenth. You got that? January 10th.” Dohyun says seriously. “I’m sure Junhyung already gave you a set of rules, but just be careful and remember to check in.” He says handing me my passport and then a tablet. “It’ll be easier to just use video chatting to check in with us here, alright?”

“Got it,” I say easily slipping the tablet into my carry on. “I’ll see you guys next week.” I say simply leaving after saying thank you to both men.

“Bye Melanie,” Both say as I leave. I know I have a limited time to get everything sorted out before I have to come back and face the reality of whatever situation I’ve thrown myself into, but I’m also looking forward to being in a city where I could just be another face in the crowd.

 

After getting through security I leave Julia a voice mail when she doesn’t answer, as expected really. “Unnie, I’m going to be gone for a little. I already got the Okays from Junhyung and Dohyun-Oppa.” I tell her calmly. “I’m going to be in New York for a little and I already promised to do check-ins every day. I’ll be back sometime on the tenth and then you can beat me up or make me do all the chores that you want me to. Unnie,” I say quietly. “I’m really sorry I’m going away so suddenly, but I promise to be back. I just…” I pause taking a deep breath to keep me from crying right now. “I just needed to get away for a little.” I say finally. “Bye Unnie, I love you and I really am sorry. I’ll see you when I get back.” I say before hanging up.

~~~

Waking up on Cheonmi’s bed with Dayoung and Cheonmi I stretch, my head throbbing slightly. “Let’s get food.” I say as I grab my morning bag to get dressed. “Yah, you two better be up and getting ready by the time I’m done with my shower.” I tell the girls irritably when they only groan in response.

I take a quick shower, mostly because I know we’ll have to stop to pick up Melody, otherwise we’ll never hear the end of us going out for food without her.

After getting dressed and stepping out I see both girls waiting for their turn to shower. “I’ll go last, I insist.” Cheonmi says falling back on her bed. Dayoung frowns and stumbles her way to the bathroom next.

Walking down the hall and into the living room I see Jaebum, Jinyoung, and Jackson all where we left them when we decided to go to sleep. “Get up, we’re going to get food,” I say kicking Jinyoung lightly with my foot. “You guys will need to pick up Mark, kay?” I say as I head back after the get up looking around slightly confused with everything.

“We’ll meet you guys wherever, we’re going to go back to the dorm to get ready first. Just call to let us know when you’re ready.” Jaebum says lazily and in a rather cute morning voice. The boys gather their things before leaving, Jackson getting a cute kiss from Cheonmi as well.

“Sure thing,” I tell them easily. I wait patiently for Dayoung and Cheonmi to come before we have to go wake sleeping beauty. “How are you feeling?” I ask Dayoung curiously as she slumps onto the couch next to me resting her head on my shoulder.

“Tired,” Dayoung pauses a moment before she sits up, “Why do you think Mark and Melody left early?”

I shrug my shoulders. “You can never tell with those two.” I say while shaking my head. “They could have wanted to talk alone or something.”

Before Dayoung or I can continue Cheonmi comes out dressed and ready to go. “Let’s hurry, I’m hungry.” Cheonmi whines walking pass us to get her shoes and jacket.

Getting up I follow behind with Dayoung trailing after me, the three of us quietly make our way to my car. “Any ideas for lunch?” Dayoung questions as we get in my car, I pull out heading towards my dorm.

Cheonmi yawns before voicing her opinion. “We should probably let the guys picked since we picked dinner last night and then when we went out last time too.” She says while shrugging her shoulders. “Besides Jaebum was whining last time we went somewhere with western food.”

I smirk rather fond of teasing the guy. “Hey, we miss the food we got back in America!” I defend mine, Mel, and Mark’s choice. “But you’re probably right, best to let them pick where we go. Mind shooting them a text?” I say as I merge into another lane.

“Cheonmi let them know we’re almost to Jules and Mel’s place too.” Dayoung says yawning as well. “Geez, I’m more tired now than when we promote.” She mutters while snuggling into her seat.

Dayoung and I are giggling as Cheonmi texts Jackson; she’s completely focused on their conversation, which has Cheonmi rolls her eyes as we enter the dorm. “They want to go to the usual place.” She informs us. “Mark isn’t going to come, he isn’t in the mood.”

I frown while shaking my head. Hearing the shower running, knocking on the door and then saying “Hey, we’re going to get some food and just hang out or something with everyone, hurry up!”

“Just go without me,” Melody says over the sound of the water. “I just got in. If I’m hungry when I get out I’ll meet you guys wherever.” She explains simply.

“Are you sure?” I ask trying to tempt her into hanging out with us, it’s fun and if Mark’s not going, I am a bit worried about Melody also not wanting to go. “Jaebum picked the usual place, if you decide to come.” When she doesn’t answer I figure she’ll work the stress out at Cube. “You better not be blowing us off so that you can sneak into Cube to practice either!”

“No, just a lazy kinda day you know.” She says teasingly. “I’ll text you if I decide to show up.” Mel says compromising with me.

“Alright then, we’ll see you when we see you. Bye Mel.”

“See you later Jules.” Melody says cheerfully.

~~~

I’m on my way back up with Dayoung and Cheonmi, the three of us having ditched the boys to go shopping after lunch. “Your phone Julia,” Cheonmi says happily carrying her bags.

“It’s Melody; she’s probably hungry and sociable now.” I say letting the call to voice mail seeing as we’re almost to the dorm anyways. Punching in the passcode I open the door, “Melody we’re back.” I call out.

I frown when I notice her shoes missing. “That’s odd.” I mutter noticing not just one pair gone but two or three of them gone, as I look around the dorm noticing some of Mel’s favorite  things are missing too as I make my way to the bedroom, which I find is empty. “Melanie, we’re call in food!” I call out when I can’t find her. Pulling my phone out I roll my eyes, she better not be at the studio. I frown again and listen to the voice mail she presumably left.

Listening to the message, nearly dropping my phone I listen to the message again confirming what I heard. A message from my best friend who sounds like she’s in an immense amount of distress and that she’s running away from things for a week. While I know I should be furious with her for pulling a stunt like this, I can’t. She sounded so upset, so torn up about whatever is going on with her.

“Jules are you okay?” Cheonmi asks when I come storming out of the hall.

My frown deepens as I try to figure out what happened between the last time I saw her and now. I ask how I hadn’t realized she was upset when I talked with her earlier today. “No, we’re going to GOT7’s dorm.” I announce feeling annoyed and all too sure that Mark is the reason that Melody has suddenly decided to take what I’m guessing is the next flight out to America. I’m sure she’s already on airplane back to America. I’m positive by the time I call or even manage to get to the correct airport Melody will have been long gone. “Don’t argue with me right now.” I warn them when they protest going there. “I have something I need to sort out with someone there.” I declare.

~~~

Barging into Mark and Jackson’s room I glare at a surprised Mark. “What the did you do to her?” I demand furiously. Mark looks at me confused looking probably to the group of people behind me and then back to me. “What did you do to Melody last night?” I say clearly.

“Nothing, we talked that’s it.” Mark says rigidly. “I left and came straight here.” He says plainly.

I let out a shallow breath fighting to keep in control of how angry I am. “Then why is she flying to New York so suddenly?” I ask him seriously, I feel the room grow tense, everyone realizing just how serious this is. “Melody got on a flight to America probably about an hour ago.” I explain, having checked the flight schedules for the airports on our way here. “She left a message sounding broken up and like she was desperately trying to hold herself together, so I repeat. What. Did. You. Do. To. My. Best. Friend?” I say each word carefully and coldly. “Because there isn’t any ing way that she’d just go off all willy-nilly like this just for kicks.”

Mark is silent as he looks down at his lap. “We just talked,” He says quietly.

“About what, what could you both have talked about that has her running away?” I ask him furiously. “Mark, she’s my best friend and I have no idea what she’s thinking right now.” I say feeling beyond worried about her. “I’m willing to bet everything I have in this life on whatever you two talked about is why she’s gone right now.” Mark doesn’t say anything; he just hides his face behind his hands. “Fine.” I say turning around and pushing my way through people. “Dayoung, Cheonmi can you get your own ride or something?” I call as I head out of the dorm, I barely hear her say yeah before I’m storming off to the next best source.

I know for a fact that Melody was beginning to realize just how much she likes Mark and that she’s been working on a song for him, I know that Melody was starting to get back to being her old self, the one before all this happened.

Walking into the practice room I see Dohyun-Oppa and Junhyung discussing plans for our next album. “What happened to her?” I ask them seriously. “Melody wouldn’t just go running off like this for any reason.” I say frowning. “Something had to have happened to her.” I insist near crying from not knowing what’s wrong with Mel.

Junhyung and Dohyun both glance to each other. “She didn’t say, but she’s under a lot of pressure.” Junhyung says half-heartedly. “I’m not sure what happened but she promised to check in, she promised to come back.” He says. Though I feel like he’s repeating it to comfort everyone and himself a bit more of her words, that Melody wouldn’t break this promise, it wouldn’t be like her to just not follow through with them.

“So then we have to wait for her to check in?” I demand angrily.

Dohyun nods his head. “She has the tablet so she’ll video call us when she lands and gets settled in.” He says seriously. “You should get some rest. She’s not going to be calling anytime soon, she’s still on the plane right now anyways.” He says calmly. “I know you’re worried, but Melanie seemed pretty sure of leaving for a little while.”

Thanking both of them I leave, I walk through the building feeling more and more worried about Melody. As I arrive back at the dorm, I get a call from a number I vaguely recognize. “Hello?” I answer feeling drained after the recent events of the last few hours.

“Hi, Julia, I’m on my way up to your dorm.” Nichkhun says in a very calm and even tone. Before I can say anything I jump from someone ringing the bell. Opening the door slowly I see Nichkhun looking at me worriedly. “Jackson called and told me the little that you said.” He explains once the door is shut.

“I really don’t know much.” I say heading to the kitchen table. “Just that she got on a flight to New York, that I missed how upset she’d been this morning.” I say fighting the tears I know I want to let out.

“Melody has always been good at hiding things like that.” Nichkhun says softly.

While true, it doesn’t make me feel any better. “Why’d you come?” I ask feeling far too tired for all of this.

“I think I was hoping you’d been wrong, that Melody had slipped back here.” Nichkhun says softly, him wishing for the same thing I’ve been since I got the voicemail. “I thought she was doing well.” Nichkhun mumbles letting out a long sigh.

“Me too,” I mumble frowning. “She’s supposed to check in when she lands, it’ll be a while obviously.” I say.

“Do you think she’ll be back?” Nichkhun asks hesitantly.

I consider this question and the promise, but I also consider how much easier it’d be on Melody if she just decided to stay, to figure something else out, something not in the spot light where everything you do is judged and dissected. “I think we will be, but I also think she won’t be the same after whatever she and Mark talked about.”

“You’ve seen how they are…” Nichkhun says slowly.

I nod my head wishing they’d just open up and admit it. “I’ve seen it for a while, I think you derailed it for a while, but with just how Melody and Mark are I think that’s really why you two couldn’t work this time around.” I say honestly. “Even with both not wanting to admit it and denying what the other one could feel, it’s like something has to happen between them.”

“I told Mark to just tell her, to admit it and try; it doesn’t do any good to just be friends in that kind of situation.” Nichkhun says softly. “I want her to be happy, that’s all I’ve ever wanted for her.”

“It’s a shame she won’t buy into happy.” I say while shaking my head. After being around Melody so much I know that she doesn’t think lasting happiness is in her grasp, something I wish she’d change her mind about.


 

Alright, so I've written this particular chapter six or seven different ways.
I knew I wanted Melody to either leave for an extended period time or play the fight off as Mark being drunk.
But the latter kind of defeats the conflict, so obviously I didn't choose that.
Anyways, it took me a lot more tries to get this chapter together than it usually does,
a semi-plesant challenge I wrote myself into.
I hope you guys enjoy!