Happy

The Risk of Flying

To make sure that it doesn’t get out, we tell only the absolutely necessary about Mark and me faking the relationship. So the only people that know are GOT7, Julia, key management people at Cube and JYPE, and of course our circle of friends, which only adds Cheonmi and Dayoung. 

“You know,” Julia says glancing at me from across the table, Dayoung and Cheonmi following her gaze to me. “I think you and Mark will end up really dating.”

I shake my head. “Have you guys ever discussed it?” Dayoung asks curiously. “I mean, I think it’s pretty obvious that you both like each other.”

“I’m sure that isn’t the case.” I say while looking away and blushing.

Cheonmi scoffs. “Melody, he’s doing all of this for you. Mark is pretending to be in a relationship with you to help rally public sympathy.”

“Exactly,” Julia says happily. “Markly has the possibly of being a real ship, well if someone would just admit her feelings.”

I shake my head hating that this is a reoccurring topic. “Can we please discuss something else?”

“Okay, how’s recording for Beast’s next album?” Dayoung asks. “I’ve heard that all the tracks are absolutely amazing.”

I nod my head sighing dreamily about the song Julia and I are recording. “We’ve only gotten to hear the two songs we’re in, but they’re absolutely beautiful.” I say leaning back in my chair.

“Melody is working on a new song that’s really good too.” Julia says looking at me with a smile. “I really like it.”

“Can you show us?” Cheonmi asks curiously.

I bite my lip nervously as I look through my phone; I have a rough recording of Julia and me singing the song. “I haven’t settled on a name for it.” I explain quietly as I press play on the song.

Julia nods her head along with the music, Cheonmi and Dayoung both quickly following suit. As the track ends both girls grin at me. “I really like it; the lyrics are really good too!” Cheonmi says excitedly. “Do you think you’ll get to release it?”

I shrug my shoulders. “Julia and I are only making appearances on variety shows and the like, trying to rebuild our image,” I say sighing slightly. “Since the confirmation of the relationship people’s negative reactions and opinion have become mild.” I say considering everything. Hong Seonsaeng-nim wants things to settle down before we even discuss a comeback.

“It could be a while; things need to settle down first.” Julia says simply. “But it should before the end of next year.” Julia says repeating what our manager told us. “So in the mean time we have time to write more songs, go on shows, and feature in some other artist’s songs, basically anything else really.”

I nod my head, I’ve gotten plenty of offers to go on a few different shows, I’ve been picky about the ones I will and will not go on. I’ve been picky about what I will and will not do in general lately though, depends on press being present, the amount of public interaction, which idols will be on there as well, a large number of factors really.

“Melody, your phone is going off.” Cheonmi says while poking me. I glance at her confusedly as she motions towards the table where my phone is currently ringing. “Your phone,” She repeats.

Picking the phone up and excusing myself from the table I answer. “Hello?”

“Hey,” I hear a chorus of cheers, obviously a recording of some kind.

I chuckle while shaking my head, “Jackson, what are you up to?” I ask curiously.

I hear quite a few laughs. “She’s sassy,” I hear someone comment. “Jackson let me talk to her.” I hear another voice say. “I’m a fan of hers though!” Another protests indignantly. “Yeah well we’re under the same company!” I hear Sungjae’s distinctive voice call out.

“Jackson what are you doing with Sungjae?” I ask chuckling.

I hear a triumphant chuckle. “Hi Noona!” I hear him call excitedly.

“She’s my best friend, let me talk to her.” Jackson says over their voices. “Look, I’m doing this recording with Big Byung and Donnie-Hyung said he’s never met you and something about what did you say again?” Jackson says listening to something that I can’t quiet follow long with.

I frown not at all understanding the situation. “What?” I ask switching to Cantonese, hoping for a more fluid conversation between us. I hear several groans and complaints about the language and not understanding what we’re both saying.

“I’m at a recording, and Donnie-Hyung said he’s never met you and that you and Julia have never come on Weekly Idol, he also says that you can do way better than Mark, which I’m not sure if I should be offended since you’re both my best friends.” Jackson relays quickly and rather smoothly in Cantonese.

“I wasn’t aware we were ever invited to Weekly Idol.” I answer back in Korean. “And Jackson since we’re best friends, you know I’ll answer your calls, unless I’m asleep or busy.” I say smiling slightly.

“Yah, Noona!” I hear Sungjae whine slightly. “I called you first, you didn’t answer my call!” He says sadly.

I shake my head unable to really think of a proper excuse. “I was talking with Julia, Dayoung, and Cheonmi; I wasn’t paying attention to my phone.” I admit with a slight chuckle. “I almost didn’t answer your call Jackson, Cheonmi had to point it out to me actually.”

“Melody-sshi,” I hear an unfamiliar voice address me, “You and Julia will have to be sure to come on Weekly Idol, alright?”

I assume this is either Donnie or Connie from the show. “We’ll definitely have to make this happen; I’ll talk to Julia about it for sure.” I say cheerfully. I listen and chat with the group a bit longer before I turn to see Cheonmi, Dayoung, and Julia all staring at me rather intently. “Ah, I have to go, I’ll talk to you later Jackson, and you too Sungjae.” I say happily. “It was nice to meet you!” I say to everyone else as we exchange good-byes.

“What was that about?” Dayoung asks curiously as I return to my seat.

I smile as I run a hand through my hair. “Jackson proving that we’re in fact best friends to Donnie and Connie.” I explain while shrugging my shoulders. “They want Julia and me to go on Weekly Idol.”

Julia chuckles. “Then we should, it looks like a lot of fun.”

Dayoung nods her head enthusiastically. “It is. They’re a handful though. Every time Ilhoon and I go on the show together we’re always bullied into doing Trouble Maker.” She says while rolling her eyes.

“Keeps the Dayhoon shippers vigilant,” I say grinning. On the subject, I consider that the only couple that I know of and know personally, I don't know how they would feel about being out publicly about it. “Dayoung, I’ve never asked, but what’s your stance on going public?” I ask curiously.

Dayoung shakes her head. “At this point, I don’t want to.” She says slowly. “Ilhoon and I had a delicate balance to our relationship before and we finally hit steady ground after everything that happened last year. To be honest, I’m not sure I want my personal life thrown up in the media like that ever again.”

I nod my head completely understanding that. “How do you and Ilhoon make it work?”

“We’ve been spending a lot of time together and it helps, but there are times when we’re both too busy to see each other that I get nervous. Ilhoon is the first boy to make me feel like I do.”

I glance to Cheonmi to see her smiling rather dreamily at the statement. Julia catching the look smiles as well. “Cheonmi, you and Jackson are pretty close now too.” She says casually. “It’s pretty obvious that Jackson likes you a lot.”

She blushes as she looks away shyly. “There really isn’t anything to tell.” She says quietly in a very sweet kind of way. While I’m sure there is something to tell, Cheonmi isn’t ready to share yet. “Melody, while you were on the phone we were talking, and I asked how’d you come up with the song you wrote.”

I look down at my lap and let out a long sigh, Julia had asked me and I didn’t really answer her then when we started recording it. “Honestly, it’s this whole situation, it’s all about it.” I say while shrugging my shoulders.

The girls and I are quiet after the little confession. “You’ll get through this, you know that, right?” Dayoung says after a moment. “It takes a lot to just stick it out this long; you’re handling this really well so far Melody.”

Julia reaches across the table and grabs my hand. “I’m not gonna leave you.” Julia says grinning at me. “You have your wagon hitched to mine.”

Cheonmi gets up and rests her hand on my shoulder. “You’ll definitely get through this.” She says affectionately. “It isn’t gonna be the end of you.” She says completely sure of her words.

~~~

I let out a long sigh, Mark and I are hanging out together, we’re at a café getting lunch. “I wrote a song for you.” I tell Mark while looking out the window. “Maybe more about you, I’m not sure it’s necessarily about you, then again I’m positive it isn’t really meant for anyone else.” I say slowly.

Mark’s hand stopped tapping on the table, looking back at him I find that Mark’s just staring at me. “You’re writing again?” He asks with this shocked face.

I chuckle slightly and nod my head. “I’m pretty sure I wasn’t able to write because I was confused about myself.” I tell him slowly. “I’m not that confused anymore, besides it would seem I’m not really in the position to give anything up anymore.” I say softly with a smile.

Mark smiles at me. “Can I hear this song?”

“Not yet, I just finished it yesterday, once I get it recorded I’ll give it to you.” I tell him simply.

Mark blinks once and then twice. “You’re not going to put it on an album or anything?” He asks confused as I get up, taking our tray.

“No, I told you, it isn’t meant for anyone but you.” I tell him chuckling. “I don’t care if you let anyone else listen to it, but I’m not going to release it. Besides I’m not really allowed to put out any music unless I’m featuring.” I tell him with a shrug.

Mark takes the tray out of my hands; with one hand he drops it off, with the other he pulls me along. I let Mark pull me along. “Where are we going?” I ask curiously as we leave the little café, the two of us ignoring the looks we get.

“For a walk,” Mark says simply. I follow behind quietly looking at all the things Mark wants to show me. “Do you talk to Nichkhun?”

I frown at the sudden topic; I glance at Mark as we walk along the empty boardwalk, the same one he took me to when I needed to get away from everything. “Not really, I’m not talking to any of them.” I tell Mark off handedly. “But I hear he’s seeing someone.”

“I think he is.” Mark says slowly. “Does it bother you?”

I chuckle and shake my head. “I’m happy if he is.” I say quietly. “I rather him find someone that can be happy with him and he can be happy with them.” I explain when Mark gives me this strange look.

“Are you happy?” Mark asks me. “Despite everything and what’s going on?”

I consider this a moment. Things have certainly calmed down, I’m no longer the front page gossip, people still keep tabs on Mark and me, but Julia and I are still not hearing anything about comebacks for us. “I’m fairly happy.” I answer after a moment. “I’d like to put another album together, but not counting that I’m doing a lot better than I was a last month. Are you, are you happy?”

Mark doesn’t take nearly as long to reply. “I’m happy. It’s kind of strange, that this is where we are now.”

“You mean not fighting constantly?” I . Mark chuckles and nods his head. “I think we had to get out of that little dynamic to ever evolve into anything else. I mean better first than at the end.” I say pleasantly. “No matter what, in the end I don’t want to be on bad terms with you.” I admit quietly.

“I don’t want to be on bad terms with you either.” Mark agrees. I suppose this is when I start to accept that I really do like this guy. I’m not quite ready to really say it aloud and that’s strange. Once I realize my feelings I usually don’t go about hiding them, then again, I think that’s what’s gotten me into this mess.

Mark drops me off at my dorm and then heads off, I’m left with thoughts of just how much Mark has done for me these last few weeks, sticking up for me publicly when no one else would, pretending to be in a romantic relationship with me for who knows how long, and for being there for me no matter what, when I want to go out late, listen to my ranting, and basically anything that I’ve needed. It isn’t a one way street though, if Mark ever wants to do something, rant, talk, go for a walk, get advice, anything, I do the same for him that he’s done for me.


Kinda time skipping between parts
o no
To give a bit of an idea of time, it's about  late December/early January 2015 now.
@W@