Friction

The Risk of Flying

“Are they at it again?” I hear Jackson ask Dayoung quietly.

I’d turn around and snipe at him, but let’s face it, it’s Jackson I love the guy. “I was sitting there.” I snap at Mark angrily, this one though. I do not love. Mark I can barely stand. “You saw me sitting there and I’m assuming you couldhear me telling Jinyoung I was getting a water.” I say glaring as he sits comfortable in my seat again.

“Take another seat, I’m sitting here now.” Mark says casually, he glances up at me and sends me a fake smile. “I’m sure you can handle sitting somewhere else, you’re a big girl, right?”

I take a deep breath and walk away; I’m so going tear him apart later. “I am going to murder him.” I mutter under my breath furiously. I head to the door, I need to cool off, and I need more than anything to get away from that egotistical jackass.

“Where are you going?” Jaebum asks me worriedly as he comes in as I’m leaving. “Melody?”

I close my eyes and open them slowly trying to be polite after all I like Jaebum, he’s fun to hang out with, it’s his unruly bandmate that I have a problem with. “I’m going to go find Nichkhun.” I say calmly, I glance back to see Mark laughing at whatever Jinyoung and he are talking about. “So that you guys can stay a seven person group.” I say still trying to keep my temper in line.

Jaebum nods his head and looks behind me, probably at Mark. “Alright, well will you be back?” He asks worriedly.

I shrug my shoulders forcing another smile before I head out. On my way I pass by several familiar people, mostly trainees from when I’d been here at JYPE. I make the familiar way to 2PM’s practice room; in there I find Wooyoung-sunbae and Nichkhun talking about some kind of sport, though I can’t be completely sure. “Oppa, is alright if I chill in here?” I ask after walking in.

Wooyoung looks at me surprised, smiling he waves me over. “Come on in Melody,” he says cheerily. I smile feeling better already.

Nichkhun pats to the seat next to him. “Something happen? I thought you were hanging out with everyone downstairs.” He says comfortingly.

I frown while taking the seat and leaning on him as I usually do. “Mark is intolerable being.” I say, scrunching my nose up, I pause; I know I said it incorrectly. “Mark is…” I say trying to think of how to say it correctly, “Being intolerable.” I say glancing to both questioningly.

“Very good,” Nichkhun says smiling at me proudly. “You’re getting better,” He compliments me while wrapping an arm around me and rubbing my side.

“I’ll just go meet Chansung for lunch,” Wooyoung says smirking at us. “Though Nichkhun is right, you’re getting lots better.”

I frown. “Sunbae-nim, I’m sorry.” I say sitting straight up.

Wooyoung however shakes his head as he stands. “No, I should go meet him, besides Hyung and I were done talking anyways.” He says smiling at me. “Melody-sshi, it’s always nice to see you.” I watch him unsure if I interrupted them. “Seriously, don’t worry about it.” He says patting my shoulder before nodding to Nichkhun. “I’ll see you at the dorm hyung.”

“Bye Wooyoungie,” said bandmate says cheerfully.

I smile at Wooyoung still not sure, but wave as he leaves. “Bye Sunbae-nim,” I say respectfully as he shuts the door. “Did I interrupt?” I ask Nichkhun seriously in English.

“No, but,” Nichkhun says, and then giving me a disapproving look. “You need to speak Korean to get better.” He says dismissively, but in English as well. “What happened? I thought you decided to avoid him.” Nichkhun says sighing. When I first started hanging out with everyone, as per Dayoung and Jackson’s new found friendship, I got along very well. It wasn’t until Mark started little fights. IT quickly became apparent that we were not at all compatible to be in the same room, forget being friends. I can’t stand him, his snide little remarks when I talk or doing what he was before, stealing my seat, teasing me, correcting my Korean in a very belittling way, makes me furious. “You need to calm down, why don’t you vent a little?”

I rest back against Nichkhun while closing my eyes. “I was avoiding him; I didn’t do anything. I got up to get water and he sits in my spot, when I asked for him to move politely he just ignores me.” I say frustrated by the eldest member of GOT7.

“It was just a seat.”

I roll my eyes, “It was the fourth time he’d done it.” I tell him irritably. “I just, I don’t get why he’s like that!”

Nichkhun chuckles while rubbing my side again. “I forget how cute you are when you get fired up like this.” He teases me.

“That is not helping.” I say fighting a smile, when I peek up at him I see him just smiling at me. I break and smile. “Okay, maybe it does help a little.” I say before biting my lip. Nichkhun has always been able to calm me down or rather, make me forget I was angry in the first place.

“Maybe you’re both just getting used to each other; did you know him while you were here?” Nichkhun asks curiously.

I send him a knowing look. “You and I both know how I spent the majority of my time after I came here to JYP.” I say smirking. Nichkhun shakes his head slightly. “What, I was either focused on my lessons or on you.” I say unabashedly.

Nichkhun and I dated for a while; it’d been a fun kind of relationship, and probably the reason why we can be so comfortable like this. “Well you were pretty distracting.” He says smirking at me fondly. “You know, Melody you were never really clear about why it ended.”

I let out a sigh and nod my head. “It was time to move on, we weren’t really moving forward.” I say casually, “Neither of us would have been able to take another step forward, we were kind of just dancing around on the same spot.” I say smoothly.

I’ve always love Nichkhun’s laugh, I still do, I smile happily hearing it again. “Right, you then left to SMent.” Nichkhun says pleasantly, “You were there for a while.”

I nod my head to this; I’ve been a trainee here and SMent before I debuted under Cube three months ago. “My vocals were developed more there, here was kind of just rounding my dancing out more.” I say while shrugging my shoulders.

“I like your debut album.” Nichkhun says softly. “Junhyung has really taken care of you.” He continues on, I feel slightly uncomfortable with this statement, but chose not to say anything. “You and Julia really complement each other.”

I grin at this observation. “Julia is pretty great; she keeps me focused most of the time.” I say smiling happily. “She’s been teaching me more Korean.”

“Is it her first language?” Nichkhun asks curiously.

I shake my head. “English, then Mandarin and then Korean,” I tell him easily. “She’s not quiet fluent, but she’s way better than I am.” I say happily.

“I see,” He says easily. Upon hearing a knock Nichkhun and I straighten up just in time as the door opens. “Hello Mark,” Nichkhun says pleasantly while switching back to Korean.

“Hello Sunbae-nim,” Mark says stepping all the way in. “Melody-sshi, could I have a word with you?” He says directing his attention to me. I glance to Nichkhun willing for him to say we’re busy, but he nods for me to go on.

“Sure, it was nice seeing you Oppa,” I say smiling at him as I get up. Nichkhun follows suit, pulling me into a hug.

“Play nice,” Nichkhun then presses his lips to my cheek before he mutters in my ear before letting me go. “We’ll have to talk again, this was really nice Melody.”

I nod my head as the three of us exit the room, Mark and I heading back to GOT7’s practice room and Nichkhun towards the other end of the hall. “I’m sorry.” Mark says reluctantly. “I wasn’t aware I made you so angry.” He says halfheartedly.

I click my tongue, clearly annoyed by the half-assed apology, but seeing as I rather not get into it again with Mark I nod my head. “It’s fine.” I say with the same enthusiasm he used.

For the rest of the way we’re both silent, upon entering the room I see Julia laughing rather happily with the others. “There you are,” She says noticing me. “I missed you.” Julia says while holding her arms open, “My cutie Melody.”

“Actually,” Jackson says in a know-it-all voice. “Melody is my cutie.”

I snap my head towards Mark upon hearing what he’d muttered under his breath. “Actually, she’s Nichkhun’s cutie.”

“What did you just say?” I ask narrowing my eyes at him. Mark shrugs his shoulders before taking a seat back on the couch by Jaebum the pair whispering.

Dayoung quickly gets up, dragging me to the spot between her and Jackson. “I’m going to kill him.” I say in Cantonese to Jackson.

Jackson looks around me to Mark before responding. “Just wait until after we’re done promoting.” He says jokingly back to me.

I chuckle nodding my head to this. “How’s it going with her? Any progress?” I ask discreetly motioning towards Cheonmi, who is talking with Jaebum, Jinyoung, Julia and it (also known as Mark).

Jackson rests his head back and frowns. “No, she won’t even look at me. She doesn’t laugh at my jokes, which are hilarious; I’m not sure what else I can do.”

“Have you tried just saying ‘hi, what’s up’?” I , another reason I love talking to Jackson, he speaks two languages I am completely comfortable speaking in and Jackson loves having fun. “She isn’t that hard to talk to, they can talk to her.”

“Yeah, well she doesn’t seem to like me.” Jackson mutters pouting slightly. “What did he say to make you so upset this time?” He asks while changing subjects.

“I don’t even want to get into it.” I say darkly.

BamBam and Dayoung both look at me curiously. “That’s a scary expression,” BamBam says cautiously.

“You know, the more time you spend with Junhyung, the better you get at doing those looks.” Dayoung says joining in on teasing me. “Oppa makes that same look.”

“So do you,” Julia and I say together, smirking happily to each other. Jackson and I switch back to Korean, though we both send each other looks. “So, Jackson,” I say chuckling as he just bats his eyes at me. “What is that look for?” I ask fighting off from bursting out into giggles.

“No particular reason, just looking at you,” Jackson says ‘cutely’, which just means he’s over exaggerating it. “Why are you giggling?” He asks in high voice.

“Are you impersonating Dayoung?” I ask teasingly as I get a grip, this catches said idol’s attention. “Because I’m telling you now, you don’t hold a candle to her.”

Jackson looks to Dayoung aghast and put off. “I could totally own her in aygeo battle if that’s what you’re saying!” Jackson says indignantly.

“Hyung,” Youngjae says seriously, obviously having overheard the conversation. “You should quit while you’re ahead. Dayoung would kick your and hand it back to you.” He says seriously.

Dayoung chuckles happily. “Though you have me beat at being wild and y.” She offers up happily. I stare at her knowingly; Julia and I both nod our heads. “I know just as much as you do, I’d watch it Melody.” Dayoung says smiling at me.

“I’d never do anything.” I tell her innocently. “Anyways,” I say glancing at a confused Jackson. “I’d say later, but Dayoungie is a crafty one.” I say patting his back. I let out a long sigh as Jackson simply rests against me. “Jackson is my cutie.” I cheer while wrapping my arms around him.

“Aigo,” Jackson says happily hugging me. “I knew it! My charms never fail! Melody is my cutie.”

Julia however isn’t having it, getting up she nudges (by which I mean shoves) Jackson away and hugs me. “You’re dead wrong Wang,” She says seriously. “Melody is all mine, right?”

I blink glancing around at Julia and then look to Jackson. “Right, Unnie?” I say questioningly, well jokingly.  “All yours,” I say firmly when she gives me her look, the don’t-give-me-this- look.

I glance around the room when I see someone walk out suddenly, looking around I notice ‘it’ has left, I glance to Julia and smile, not at all displeased.


 

As far as the timeline goes for those reading/have read the connecting fics
Dayoung's scandal as passed!
Just kinda throwing you guys into the mix of it. ^^
I hope you guys enjoy~!
Let me know what you think!!