Iced Americano

The Broken Puzzle

- Taeyeon's POV -

"Are you sure?" I asked Claire yet again.

"Yes I'm sure. You said you wanted to catch that movie."

"I know. But you're dead tired. Don't even try to say you're not 'cause you obviously are." I frowned a little.

"I'm tired, but I'm fine. I wanna watch the show too. Let's just go, alright?" She put an arm around me and I couldn't help but to smile at her.

An hour quickly passed after the movie started. Expectedly, when I turned to look at her, she was asleep. I automatically grinned as I looked at how adorable she looked. I don't know how long I sat there watching her, and then she woke up in shock and caught me looking at her. "You said you were fine. But look who's sleeping away." I teased. "I wasn't sleeping. I was thinking about the storyline." She argued.

"I was thinking about the storyline."

When the flashback struck, I didn't even know I was staring blankly at Claire until she tapped my hand gently. "Taeyeon?" "A-ah yes... Right... Haha..."

- Claire's POV -

I woke up in shock when I heard a sudden sound from the movie. When I opened my eyes, I found Taeyeon staring at me.

"You said you were fine. But look who's sleeping away." She was having that idiotic grin on her face.

"I wasn't sleeping. I was thinking about the storyline." I said whatever excuse came to my mind.

"I was thinking about the storyline."

Wait. Did I...say something like that before...?

***

Taeyeon was awfully quiet after the movie as we walked quietly, hand in hand, along the streets. I held back from speaking, since she didn't look like she wanted to talk. We kept walking, for probably about 20 minutes, and then I finally spoke up.

"Taeyeon ah. Is something bothering you?" She turned to look at me in shock and it looked like I broke her train of thoughts.

"No... Claire... I'm just...not feeling quite well. Can we head home for today?"

"What? Are you okay? Where are you hurt?"

"No don't worry. I'm just probably tired. Let's just go home. I'll be fine after a rest."

"Alright. Then... I'll take your car and fetch you home."

"What? Then what about your car?"

"Don't worry. I'll take a cab down here later to fetch my car. You're more important."

"No. I can drive. I'm not feeling that bad. I can still drive."

"Are you sure...?"

"Yes. Don't worry about me alright? I'll be fine. Let's go."

I looked at her, concerned, but I respected her decision all the same.

- Taeyeon's POV -

We drove alongside each other until we finally separated at a junction. However, I didn't head home. I parked somewhere near a walkway by the river, somewhere I always frequented when I had too many things on my mind, before making my way to my regular bench. Sitting down, the million thoughts which had been attacking me since a while ago came back. Something was wrong. Everything was too much of a coincidence. How could Claire look exactly like Jessica? Even if they looked identical, how could she sound exactly like Jessica too? What she said in the cinema kept replaying in my mind. Was I out of my mind to even suspect that Claire was indeed Jessica? But Jessica was gone since 2 years back...

I bit my lips as I thought hard. I never had the chance to attend Jessica's funeral because mom said that her parents were devastated and seeing me at that time would only infuriate them who had to deal with the loss of Jessica. But that meant that maybe...just maybe...Jessica wasn't dead? Plus, Jessica's family moved away to God knows where after the accident and I never heard from them ever since. Dad said that they used their authority to cover up the loss of Jessica. I furrowed my eyebrows as the possibility of Jessica actually being alive suddenly seemed high. Was I going crazy?

***

2 weeks went by quickly, and in the 2 weeks, I had tried very hard to ignore those thinkings which were constantly at the back of my mind. Those thinkings that Jessica might still be alive, and might actually just be Claire. I knew it was pretty much impossible. But I knew that I love that girl too much to not hold onto any hope that came up, even if the possibility of it being true was really low. I finally made my decision, to find out the truth, and I asked to meet her at our favourite cafe, our as in me and Jessica.

I arrived really early, an hour earlier actually. I was feeling restless and jittery. What would I do if she was really Jessica? Why did she acted like she was Claire? But then again, if she really was Jessica, then she could never lie to me, plus, the way I saw it from Claire's eyes, she wasn't hiding anything too. Nonetheless, why was I so sure that she was my Jessica? The thoughts kept running until I felt a hand slightly brushing past my shoulder and when I looked up, Claire was smiling at me as she moved towards the seat opposite me.

"You're here early." She commented, as she put her bag down.

"Yeah. Shall I order?"

"Yup! Can I have a ca-"

"Can I order for you today?" I was acting weird, and I couldn't help it.

"Huh? Oh... Sure." She looked a little surprised.

"Can I get you an iced Americano?" Jessica's favourite. Kim Taeyeon, just stop being so weird won't you.

"Well... Sure, why not."

I ordered an iced Americano for her and a vanilla latte for myself and while I was waiting at the counter, my heart started pounding really quickly. I couldn't meet her eyes when I brought our drinks to the table. I just sat down and sipped the coffee, letting the silence overcome us.

"Taeyeon." Before I could even say anything, Claire spoke up.

"Yeah?"

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah. Why?"

"You just look so...out of the world these days..." Alright. I probably should just cut to the chase.

"Claire. Actually-"

"Taeyeon?" I didn't get to finish my words as a familiar voice sounded from the entrance behind Claire. Looking towards that direction, I saw Tiffany approaching.

"I wasn't expecting to bump int- GOSH!" Tiffany exclaimed when she turned to look at Claire who happened to look at her too. Claire jumped at her loud voice and Tiffany quickly snapped out of her trance when she realised that her reaction had shocked the girl.

"T-this... I... The resemblance is...uncanny!" Tiffany managed to tone down, but she was naturally loud, so it was still...loud. She told her friends that she would join them later and then almost automatically, she took a seat beside me and continued to stare at Claire. "Tiffany stop doing that you're being creepy." I nudged her. "It's okay! I bet I really look like Jessica." I could only see Tiffany's jaw dropping yet again after she heard Claire's voice. "Tiff." I reminded, and she closed , slightly embarrassed. Taking a deep breath, she extended her hand. "Hi! You must be the legendary Claire! Sorry for the shock. You really look like my friend. Anyway, my name's Tiffany. I'm her best friend." Tiffany smiled and Claire shook her hand. "Don't worry about it! Nice to meet you Tiffany. But...what is it about being...legendary...?" I separated their hands on purpose and smacked Tiffany's arm. "Don't mind her. She's just being annoying. And Tiffany, it is obvious that I am busy right? Aren't you supposed to be with your friends?" I dropped her THAT look. "Ah haha okay okay. Have fun girls! Claire you look gorgeous, by the way." She winked at her and Claire laughed, while I rolled my eyes at the annoying best friend.

"She's cute." Claire commented, before she took a sip from her iced Americano. "What? Gosh no." I rolled my eyes yet again. "So Taeyeon, what were you saying before that?" I had only managed to take my mind off the matter but all of it came right back when Claire asked. I had no idea why but I lost all that courage suddenly. "A-ah... I wanted to say that actually it was because I..." Come on Taeyeon. Think. Think!

"Was on my period."

Gosh. Great job really, great job. You totally deserved a hi-5 right there, on your face Kim Taeyeon.

 


© Sky Blue Tales