Crybaby

The Broken Puzzle

- Story view -

"T-Tiff..." Krystal finally said something after a minute of silence.

"I really...I really hoped that you would tell me you aren't Krystal..."

"How did you...get my number...?" There was yet another awkward pause, and Krystal's fear came true when the Tiffany's next words reached her ears.

"I got it from your sister."

"Y-you...you found out...?"

"Just what are you thinking? What are you people thinking?!" Tiffany started to raise her voice.

"Tiff I... So...Jessi knows...?"

"She didn't know that I took your number."

"Okay... Then...how about...Taeyeon unnie...?"

"Taeyeon unnie? You actually still know that she's your Taeyeon unnie?"

"Tiffany..."

"She doesn't know yet. But she will know, if you don't meet me right now. You have got tons of explanation Krystal. I hope you have a good reason."

"I... Okay I'll meet you now."

***

Krystal arrived early and sat there as nervousness began to fill her. She looked anxiously outside the glass separating the cafe and the road outside and she jumped when she heard the screech made by the chair opposite her. Unknowingly, she swallowed her saliva as the face she hadn't seen for two years or so came into view. She found herself looking down after a while, unable to hold the eye contact with Tiffany.

"Spill it. Every single thing. I'm telling you I'm really holding back from punching you now, or hitting you, or anything along that line. So tell me everything before I really do."

Taking a deep breath, Krystal told Tiffany the truth. Every single bit of it. Tiffany's expression changed from an angry one, to a surprised one, to an absurd one, and towards the end, a sad one.

"You mean...Uncle Kim and mommy...know about it too...?" Tiffany felt choked when she realised that Taeyeon's parents were among the people who hid the truth from Taeyeon. Krystal nodded, her eyes were so full of sadness.

"Tiff... I really wanted to tell Jessi the truth... But mom she..."

"I...understand... She just really loves Jessi... I really understand but...but Taeyeon..." Tiffany didn't know how to continue her sentence, or how to describe the feeling in her heart. She understood the love Jessica's mother had for her daughter, yet she couldn't understand how she could heartlessly tear apart the two lovers. When the image of Taeyeon crying over Jessica came up in her mind, she couldn't help but to feel enraged once again, at the hurt the Jungs had given her best friend, yet at the same time, she knew that it was painful for the Jungs too. Tiffany was really about to tear her head apart.

"Actually...how did you meet Jessi again...?" Tiffany found herself to be at a loss of words when Krystal popped the question. Should she tell her that Jessica and Taeyeon were actually dating? No, that would bring a whole new level of chaos.

"A social event." Tiffany decided to take over Taeyeon's story instead.

"That was coincidental... And... Tiffany... I know we're s... And I know what I'm gonna say next will make me sound even more like an ... But...can you please...keep this from Taeyeon unnie...? I'm against the idea too. But...we're already at this point... Shouldn't we just...let them live their own lives like how they have been doing for the past two years...?"

"Krys. I do understand, but I...can't forgive you guys. And now you're telling me to join you and hide this from Taeyeon. Do you know how much she has been suffering? Do you know how much she blames herself for Jessica's supposed death?"

"I-I know... But...she can just...live her life without Jessi right...? Since she already thinks that Jessi is gone..." Krystal really wanted to kill herself for saying something so inhumane, but it was for her sister's sake, even though she herself was against the idea initially. Tiffany on the other hand was about to suffer from a mental breakdown. She was still trying hard to digest the information, and then now she had to stop herself from blurting out the fact that Taeyeon and Jessica actually somehow met each other and as if it wasn't dramatic enough, they were already dating.

"I need time to digest all these. I won't tell her anything now. But I can't promise you that I'm not gonna tell her. You have my word though, that if I'm telling her anything, I'll let you know first."

"Thanks Tiffany..." Krystal knew that this was the best she could get, and she had no complaints. "And...Jessi too... Please...don't tell her anything..."

***

Tiffany held the phone to her ear, as she sighed. She let out a slight smile when the call got connected.

"Yes Tiff!"

"Hey. Are you free?"

"Hmm? Now?"

"Yeah now."

"Guess I am. What's up?"

"I'm kinda...bored. Do you wanna come and walk my dog with me?"

"I don't mind! But are you okay? Did something happen?"

"Nothing. I just need some air. Too many things on my mind recently."

"Uh-huh... What things?"

"Well the usual stuffs... Work and all..."

"Did you quarrel with your boyfriend or something?"

"No no I didn't. It's just...okay I miss you."

"Haha is this the real reason? Why didn't you just say so from the start? Where do I go? Your place?"

"If you don't mind. And do you want me to go pick you up?"

"It's okay I'll get there myself. Be right there Tiff! I miss you too hehe."

"Okay call me when you're here!"

"Right!"

Tiffany ended the call with a smile on her face. She still couldn't quite believe that Claire was really Jessica. When they first got to know each other, Tiffany didn't like Jessica, given Jessica's reputation in school. But somehow, Taeyeon managed to convince her to make friends with the girl and it was then when she realised the true meaning of "never judge a book by its cover". Jessica was cold to people she didn't know, or disliked, but she was really warm and caring to the people she cherished. She became one of Tiffany's closest friends. After Taeyeon and Jessica revealed that they were dating, she became even closer to Jessica since she was her best friend's girlfriend. They hung out so often that there were times when Taeyeon got jealous and they would end up teasing her about it.

When Jessica turned up, Tiffany found herself running right into her arms, locking her into a tight hug.

"Woah woah woah. Did you miss me that much?" Jessica laughed as she hugged her too.

"I really missed you. I really really missed you..." Tiffany blurted out. When Jessica heard her sniffling, she pulled away from the hug in shock and held Tiffany by her shoulders.

"Hey hey what's wrong with you? Tiffany what's wrong?" Tiffany looked back at her dear friend who was all worried now and the emotions got over her as her tears flowed uncontrollably. "Okay okay... It's alright you don't have to explain. I'm here, okay? I'm here. Hush now you crybaby." Jessica pulled Tiffany into her arms and patted her back.

"You look ridiculous for heaven's sake. Stop crying you crybaby!"

Jessica frowned when a sudden image flashed past her mind. Did I say that before? She wondered. But she didn't manage to think for long because Tiffany had only stopped for a while before she abrupted started crying again, and she wouldn't let go of Jessica no matter what.

They took a long walk and both girls had a great talk before they returned home. Early the next morning, Jessica received a message.

Tiffany ^^
Hi babe! Breakfast?
Oh my gosh you're acting weird. I don't mind breakfast but what's wrong with you?
Did you and Taeyeon quarrel or something and you're tryna make her jealous?

Tiffany on the the other hand chuckled because she really wanted to reply "she used to get jealous the whole time" but she didn't. They somehow still fixed plans and met up.

Tiffany walked the streets with Jessica like how they used to. She brought her to their favourite ice cream parlour before Jessica lost her memory where they had strawberry ice cream. Jessica had wanted chocolate mint but Tiffany refused to let her get it no matter what, only telling her that she wasn't in a good mood and Jessica should just do whatever she was told. They also visited In-N-Out Burger. Tiffany knew that Jessica used to have cravings for it once in a while. Jessica was really bewildered by Tiffany's weird actions the whole day especially when she had refused to let her pay a single cent for anything but she had let it go because Tiffany was dear to her and she figured that she would just go along.

They were having iced Americanos in Tiffany's car when Jessica finally decided to find out the reason behind Tiffany's weirdness the whole day.

"What's with the iced Americano? Taeyeon didn't let me order what I want the other time too. It's kinda...tasteless?" Tiffany had to hold back a laugh. Please, iced Americano was your favourite, she internally told Jessica.

"Really? I thought it clears your mind because it's refreshing."

"I'd really need some clearing of my mind though. What is wrong with you Tiff? You have been weird the whole day."

"Really? I didn't think so."

"Come on. Did something happen? You're worrying me."

"Ah don't worry a single bit. I'm fine. Trust me."

"Then why are you being like this today...?"

"Like what?"

"Like...dragging me around everywhere?"

"I drag you around every time."

"No as in...to...specific places."

"We were just passing by..."

"You drove an hour to get to the ice cream parlour itself. That's called passing by...?"

"Okay, I just had cravings for those food. Do you complain like that when Taeyeon brings you around to places?"

"I'm not complaining! I'm just really concerned about you."

"Haha I'm just kidding. Don't worry I'm really fine. Let's just say...I'm...making up for lost time." Tiffany eye-smiled and Jessica's frown deepened because she couldn't understand her friend yet again.

"Huh...? Making up for lost time?"

"Well I mean, I'm usually tied down my work so I don't really get to hang out with you like that."

"Not really...? We hang out a few times like this every month...?"

"Ah maybe I'm just getting old and I need more time away from work. Stop asking now let me drive in peace."

"Haha you're such an idiot. Can we go to your place?"

"Today? For what? To see Prince?"

"Yes! You made me walk him with you yesterday and now I'm missing him."

"Haha okay okay we'll go there then." Tiffany smiled as she looked at the side mirror before making a U-turn. "It's so great to have you..."

Jessi...

Tiffany completed her sentence internally.

 


[A/N] I'm just curious... Who actually wants Taeyeon to know that Claire is Jessica? Or do you find it more interesting for Taeyeon not to know instead?

© Sky Blue Tales