Why Wouldn't I?

The Broken Puzzle

- Taeyeon's POV -

"Hey. You okay?" Her voice snapped me out of my trance. That...voice...

"Je...Jess..." I stuttered as my eyes were fixated on her. Jessica. It was Jessica. But...her eyes... They looked so....so unfamiliar. She smiled. But something was wrong, somewhere.

"Hey erm... I think you've got the wrong person. I'm Claire. Anyway I hope you're fine! I really have got to go. Bye!" She flashed a smile before turning to go.

"No wait! Wait up!" I managed to stop her once again.

"Yeah?"

"Erm...can we...how do I get to meet you again?" She chuckled when she heard what I said.

"Well, we'll meet if we meet. Maybe we'll meet at some event again? Haha don't go bumping into everyone sweety. Bye!"

"But I-" I couldn't finish my words as she ran off and disappeared out of sight. Kim Taeyeon. Are you having some sort of a brain damage right now? Your Jessica is long gone. Don't go crazy just because she looks like her. Well but...she really looks identical. No wait, but Jessica is gone. Argh whatever!

***

A few days passed, and dad was finally back. I lightly knocked on his door and he permitted me to enter. I sat down on a chair opposite him, with his desk separating us.

"Yes my dear? You rarely come in at this time."

"Mmm... Dad... Uh I was just wondering if you have the guest list for the Samsung Partners event last week?"

"Hmm? Did someone manage to catch the eyes of my dear daughter?" Dad laughed as he took off his spectacles.

"Dad..." I gave him a cold stare.

"Hahaha alright alright don't stare at your dad this way. I'm afraid I don't have the guest list. I was just given the invitation. What happened?" If I were to tell him that I saw Jessica...okay no, someone like Jessica, he would probably just think that I'm having a mental breakdown or something. Because...even I suspected I was having a mental breakdown to even think that it was Jessica that I saw.

"Oh... Nothing. I just thought I saw a college friend." Well, at least I didn't lie.

"Oh? Who?"

"Uh, I can't remember the name, that's why I kinda wanted to look at the guest list."

"Ah..."

"It's okay then. Go get busy with your work dad. I'll get going."

"Okay."

I stood up and was about to go when I stopped, and turned to look at my dad.

"Dad."

"Hmm?"

"When's the next social event that you have to go?"

"Mmm... I have one 2 days later, two the next week, and one more after that for this month. Don't worry I'll let Hayeon go. Trust that little brat to ask you to take her place just to meet her idols."

"Ah no dad. That wasn't what I meant. I was thinking...maybe I can go or something... I mean, that's if you don't mind..."

"What? Taeyeon am I hearing you right? Did you just offered to go?"

"Well... Yeah... But hey dad, it's just for...a few times. If I don't like it then Hayeon will have to do it for the rest of her life."

"Haha wow wow. Alright, sure. Go ahead. Here. These are the invitations." Dad straightforwardly passed me a few cards.

"Wow. Just...like that?"

"You know that the reason I always send Hayeon is because you and Jiwoong can't be bothered about these events, don't you?"

"Uh-huh..."

"So if my Taeyeon wants to go, which is honestly quite a miracle, why not? I just hope it will help you...open up a little, Taeyeon. Afterall you used to be the one I send..."

"Dad... Let's not go there, okay? I'll let you know how the events go and whether I'd wanna go for subsequent events. Thanks dad. I love you. Don't work too hard alright? Your health is more important to us."

"Yes madam." He smiled, and I found myself smiling back too.

***

I landed on my bed with a thud, tired from socialising. It was the third event I had attended, after the Samsung Partners event, that is. No luck. No luck at all.

I heard a knock on my door. "Who is it? Come on in." I shouted. Dad's face came to view as he walked towards me and sat at the foot of my bed.

"Hi daddy!"

"Look at you dirty little fella. Shouldn't you change out of your clothes and remove your make up before you sleep on your bed like this?"

"Dad I'm tired... Please don't nag at me..." I pouted.

"Haha stop sulking you little brat. You know it doesn't work on your mom so you're using it on me instead right? Ah and, I heard that you stayed throughout the events? Did something happen to you?" Dad gave me a teasing weird look.

"Stop being sarcastic dad. I was just...bored."

"I thought you would feel even more bored if you were there." He couldn't be more right, actually.

"Okay daddy don't disturb me any more now go go go! Just goooooo." I stood up and pushed him out of the door as we laughed.

I lay on my bed yet again as I wondered, just why was I doing all these?

***

It had been an hour since I got seated. My patience was running thin. It was the fourth event after the Samsung Partners event. The fourth, and the last, I supposed. This was a stupid idea afterall. I had thought that perhaps I would be able to meet...what was her name...ah, Claire if I were to attend more events. But it turned out that I was just wasting my time. Plus, my patience had been tested long enough. Even if, even if I see her, it's not Jessica, and it never will be. Just why was I being so crazy for? I figured out, I had enough.

I bowed to the people at my table and I excused myself, this time remembering my phone. I couldn't hide the disappointment on my face as I headed for the door. My hand was about to push the door when it opened from the other side.

"Woah careful there! Oh, hey!" Came the voice from the person who opened it. I lifted my head, as Claire's face came to view.

"H...hey..." I managed to say. There was a short period of awkward silence as neither of us said anything.

"So... You uh...aren't in a rush to leave today are you?" I finally broke the ice.

"Ah, no, not at all. I just arrived actually."

"Really? Hmm... Do you wanna...uh...grab a drink at the counter or something?"

"Sounds good! I need a drink."

We didn't say anything as we made our way to the counter.

"Hmm...can I have a...mmm..." Claire was so cute when she couldn't make up her mind. No wait Taeyeon. What are you even thinking. Stop doing this. She's not Jessica. Just order your drink and stop thinking of useless stuffs you idiot.

"Strawberry Berryoska for me please." This was our favourite drink. Actually, hers. I just came to like it, because she did.

"Is that nice?" I turned to look at her when she asked.

"Yeah. You should give it a try."

"Alright then. Can I have a Strawberry Berryoska too?"

Our drinks were ready in no time.

"So how was it Jess?" Oh shucks. Oh. My. Gosh. I wanted to slap myself at that moment as my face turned red.

"Jess? I must really like Jessica Alba to start to actually look like her right?" Claire laughed as she said.

"Uh no... You just...really look like a friend of mine. In fact...you look identical...even...your voice."

"Haha are you trying to hit on me now?"

"Ah no! I was telling the truth! I really...I...uh...."

"Relax! I was just kidding!" I found myself frozen when she playfully smacked my arm.

"A-ah... Haha..."

"So. What's your name?"

"Oh. I haven't introduced myself. I'm Taeyeon." I extended my hand and she shook it. I must have missed Jessica so much. Everything felt like her. Even her hands.

"Taeyeon? Are you a Korean?"

"Ah yes I am. Why? Are you a Korean too?" I raised an eyebrow.

"Yeah!" I guess...that explained the resemblance, a little.

"Actually Claire...erm...I was thinking maybe we can...you know...keep in touch or something... Ah shucks I sound creepy don't I?"

"A little." She giggled. My confidence fell to rock bottom and disappointment began to fill me as I realised that this wasn't going to go anywhere. "You know what? I actually think I have to go. I have someone waiting for me. See that guy over there? I think he's probably gonna report it to the police if I don't join him now."

"Ah... Okay..." What? You have to go...? No... And what...? Someone is waiting for you and...he...? It's a he...?

"Hey?" I snapped out of the trance when she waved a hand in front of me.

"Y-yeah?"

"Give me your phone."

"W-what?"

"Didn't you say you wanna keep in touch?"

"A-ah yeah!" I quickly fished out my phone and passed it to her. She keyed her number in and passed it right back to me.

"Call me or something! I'm off! Nice meeting you Taeyeon." She smiled at me before leaving and I found myself smiling back like an idiot.

***

- Claire's POV -

I was finally making my way to the carpark after I bought the books that I wanted.

"Hey gorgeous. I just thought maybe you would want to have some fun?" I turned to look when I heard a voice that sounded like a young lad.

"I'm not free, sorry." I smiled and turned back to the front as I continued walking.

"I'm sure you have some time."

"I'm really not free. Please stop following me." My smile was still on my face.

"Hey... You're no fun. I'm sure you can do better." I could feel his hand on my arm and I swallowed my saliva, trying to keep my anger down.

"Let go now." I turned to look at him once again, my eyes were threatening this time.

"You're gonna enjoy thi-" Enough. I grabbed his hand which was on my arm and with a swift turn I pinned it behind his back, twisting his arm.

"OW OW OW LET GO!" He yelped in pain.

"I did tell you nicely to let go. But I don't think you understood." I yanked his arm off and he staggered a little.

"You !" He approached me yet again but he stopped when he met my cold, hard glare.

"Really?" I asked as I raised an eyebrow, and I took a step towards him. Staggering, he took a few steps back and when I took another step forward, he ran for his life. "Chhh." I chuckled as I made my way to my car. Maybe mom was right in forcing me to take up some martial arts after the accident. I laughed to myself as I imagined myself to be a superhero. Something like Black Widow maybe?

I had only just started my engine when a message arrived.

(Unknown)
Hey Claire. Guess who? :)

I chuckled as a gut feeling told me it was Taeyeon.

(Unknown)
Hi Taeyeon :)
That was fast.

Ha. I knew it.

 Taeyeon
I thought you weren't gonna contact me.
It's been a while.
Why wouldn't I? Haha.

Wait... That... That message... It...

-----------
Why wouldn't I? Haha.

What was that. This.... I... Who was that?

-----------
Thanks for tonight :) I really enjoyed myself.

What...? Why can't I see the name?

-----------
Sleep well.
I love you so much :)

Who was it? Just...who was it?! Did my heart just...wrenched...? I... This...

 


© Sky Blue Tales