The White Notebook

The Broken Puzzle

- Story view -

Taeyeon didn't know why and how her legs were carrying her at full speed as she dashed out of the office. Deep inside, she knew that it wouldn't be possible to catch up with Jessica, especially after taking all the time to read the notebook, but she still tried her best as she ran. She was panting heavily when she finally reached the lobby, and as expected, Jessica was nowhere in sight. Then, it struck her that Jessica might have driven here.

"Carpark." She muttered to herself before running to the carpark, taking the stairs because she didn't want to waste the time waiting for the elevator. She met another problem when she reached the carpark. Which one exactly, was Jessica's car? She brushed her fingers through her hair as she ran around, hoping to catch a glimpse of the girl that she was so worried about.

She heaved a huge sigh of relief when she caught sight of Jessica who was sitting inside a car, her left arm supporting her head while resting on the window ledge. She took slow steps towards the girl until she was right outside the window. Taeyeon knocked on the window gently, and Jessica jumped before she turned to look at her, her eyes widening when she registered the familiar face. When Jessica snapped out of her trance, she removed her arm from the ledge, silently permitting Taeyeon to open the door, which the girl did.

"Hey... Uh..." Taeyeon found herself at a loss of words now that she had caught up with the girl. "You know what. Come out."

"What for...?"

"Please?"

Furrowing her eyebrows, Jessica complied. She never could turn Taeyeon down whenever the girl said 'please'. Well, except the times when she told her to leave. "What now?"

Taeyeon didn't reply. Instead, she took Jessica's right hand since her left hand was injured, and walked her to the front passenger seat.

"Taey-"

"Sit. Alright?" Jessica found herself blinking a couple of times at how the Taeyeon in front of her was suddenly so different from the Taeyeon she saw barely an hour ago. "Please?" Again.

Jessica was utterly confused, but she did as she was told. Taeyeon made her way to the driver seat after that. The two of them stayed silent in the car for a moment, before Taeyeon suddenly let out a breath and then stretched a little as she reached for the seatbelt on Jessica's side. Jessica didn't know why she didn't stop Taeyeon. The older girl tugged gently at the seatbelt and was about to secure it across Jessica, when abruptly, she landed a peck on Jessica's lips, before she clicked the seatbelt into the lock after that, as if the peck never happened. Jessica stayed frozen where she was, shocked by her sudden action, not forgetting how her heart fluttered, like the good old times, for that brief second.

"Why did y-"

"You look really pale. Why did you even do that when you already know that you have anemia...? You really... You were trying to kill me instead of yourself do you know that? I'm gonna bring you to the hospital, now. Listen to me just for once. Please, Jessica." The third time. The third 'please'. Jessica stayed silent after that, allowing Taeyeon to bring her anywhere she wanted.

Jessica had her wound cleaned and bandaged not long after, and the both of them made their way back to Jessica's car. They were walking side by side, but it felt weird. Jessica was holding back from hooking arms with her, while Taeyeon was holding back from locking her fingers with Jessica. Taeyeon was heading straight for the driver seat again, when Jessica finally spoke.

"Taeng... I'll drive you back to your office. You don't have your car with you."

"No. I'll get you home safely."

"But your car i-"

"I can take a cab. It's not the time to worry about me."

"But Taen-"

"Please." Jessica was once again defeated, for the fourth time that day, just by one word.

The journey back to Jessica's home was a silent one. When they finally reached, Taeyeon opened the door immediately and stepped out, only leaving behind a few words, before she gradually disappeared out of Jessica's view.

"Please take care of yourself, Sica. I'm begging you."

***

It was three hours after Taeyeon had left Jessica's side, and she was dead worried about the girl. She had been contemplating whether to send her a text or not. In the end, her worry got over her.

My Love 
Hey... Are you feeling better...?

She mindlessly tapped her fingers on the table as she waiting anxiously for a reply. But when she got a reply, she realised how awkward it really was between them.

My Love 
yeah. thanks..

Taeyeon racked her brain to think of a reply, and she mustered a lot of courage before she finally sent the message.

My Love 
I'm sorry...
I'm really sorry...

She didn't get a reply this time, and she figured that Jessica was probably really disappointed in her by now. Sighing, she took out a new little white notebook, and started writing in it.

***

It was pretty early in the morning when the doorbell sounded. No one in the Jung family was awake yet, and the housekeeper was out doing grocery shopping. When nobody answered the door, the doorbell rang yet again.

"Argh!" Jessica frowned as she covered her ear with her pillow.

The doorbell kept ringing, and Jessica was getting more and more irritated by the minute.

"JUNG SOOJUNG!" Krystal wasn't someone who was easy to wake, usually, but somehow Jessica's threatening scream this time shocked her awake.

"Okay okay I'm going!"

"GO RIGHT NOW! AH IT'S SO ANNOYING!"

The doorbell finally stopped a while after, and Jessica assumed that Krystal was handling the guest well. She was about to fall back asleep when someone knocked on at her door.

"Gosh! WHO IS IT?! IT'S 8 IN THE MORNING FOR GOODNESS SAKE!" She yelled, obviously annoyed.

The door slowly creaked open and Krystal popped her head in.

"WHAT NOW JUNG SOOJ-"

"Taeyeon unnie..."

"I DON'T CARE WHATEVER TAE... What...? Who? Taeyeon? She's here?" Unknowingly, Jessica sat up straight.

"Uh... Was. She was here."

"What d'you mean by that? She's gone?"

"Uh yeah. Something like that."

"So, she came to deliver the papers? Or milk?" Jessica rolled her eyes.

"She did come here to deliver something. But it's not the papers or milk. It's this." Krystal took lazy steps towards her sister as she passed her a small paper bag. Jessica furrowed her eyebrows when she took out a little white notebook from within the paper bag.

"And...what is this? A user guide?"

"Jessi. I don't know what it is. I'm as sleepy as you are now and I'm not catching your humour, or sarcasm, or whatever. I'm going back to sleep." Krystal was about to leave the room when she stopped. "Oh by the way... Taeyeon unnie looked kinda...terrible."

Jessica frowned as the door clicked shut and her eyes fell onto the the little white notebook once again. She was surprised, when she turned to the first page, because on the left page was a copy of her entry in the little blue notebook, and on the right...

DAY 1

Hi Jung Sooyeon. So basically you're telling me that you made me a fool, isn't it? I'm sorry for those words I said... Yes, I can sense that I'm dead. But don't kill me...please? Sorryyyyyy :(

It was...Taeyeon's...reply...? Utterly taken aback, she flipped the page and continued reading. It was the same format, a copy of her own entry on the left, and a new entry on the right.

DAY 2

You're feeling better? That's great...

WOAH WHAT? ICE CREAM? Are you done being angry with me...? Can you bring me there? :) My treat. Okay? I'm not an idiot, by the way. Stop calling me that.

 

DAY 3

You can kill roaches for Tiff the next time ;) You're not a killer, silly. 

 

DAY 4

Sica ya I miss you too :( You're not a loser. I am. Shucks. You really sent someone to track me down didn't you? No wonder I felt eyes on me wherever I went. SO IT WAS YOU. Don't worry. I didn't ask them to paint me like one of the French girls. I painted them like one of the French girls... Hehehehehehe ^^v 

 

DAY 5

At least she could make you do that. You never did that for me ㅡㅡ I remember I got kicked off the bed once when I cooked your favourite breakfast and wanted to wake you up to eat them together.

 

DAY 6

I miss you too...

So...that's...all? Seriously Jung Sooyeon. Don't you have more things to say to me? >:(

 

DAY 7

Are you even sure? Didn't Yoona tell you how you looked like E.T. when you cried over The Notebook? :P 

 

DAY 8

No you aren't talking to the wall. Here I am. I took a little long, but here I am. It's okay. I'm now talking to a little white book :D I find it cute. Why did you even find it stupid? But in any case, I'm back. I'm back, Sica ya.

// Sorry... Let me sing you a song...? I promise you I'll sleep at 4.18am tonight. And was it on purpose? 4.18? Like, your birthday? ㅡㅡ

 

DAY 9

Hahahaha daddy Jung's the best! (Y) AND I AM BACK. STOP CALLING ME AN IDIOT YOU . 

 

DAY 10

Are you still...mad at me...? :(

P.S. I'll make food for you any time, okay? I wasn't in anyone's arms, Sica. All that was in my mind was you. Really. But just maybe, my hands were on other people... I AM KIDDING. 

.

.

.

DAY 37

Tiff doesn't even swing that way. You don't stand a chance. Plus, I'm sure if she dates girls, she's gonna date me first :)

P.S. I MISS YOU I MISS YOU I MISS YOU BUT FOR THE LAST TIME I AM NOT AN IDIOT. 

.

.

.

DAY 56

Yes I was in Japan. You're such a sasaeng. Well... I swear I never had the intention to buy them. But I just thought of you and...yeah, I bought them. Does that appease you just a little...? :)

Jessica quickly peeped into the paper bag when she read this entry and indeed, there was a pack of Tokyo bananas, and she found herself laughing, before she switched her attention back to the notebook.

DAY 63

Hey... I probably...really screwed up that day... I'm sorry Sica ya... But I was happy to see you again... Really... :(

Just like how she had left an extra message for Taeyeon, Jessica hesitated a little before she flipped to the last page. There it was, one more message.

Baby... Never in my life will I ever not want you. Please. Please don't forget that. I'm sorry that you had to give the notebook to me. But no, it wasn't because I didn't want you any more. It was because I wanted you too much. I miss you, Sica ya. I miss us. Listen to me.

I love you.

You can't say that I don't. You can't say that you think that I love you, and that I actually don't. Because I do. You know that I do. You were saying those things to spite me, I know. I know I'm a jerk for saying all those things... Baby I just need you to know that I'm really scared. I don't know if you can understand how it feels like. I can't lose you again. I really can't lose you again. I can't afford to put you in any kind of danger, just to be with me. And just to make sure you're safe... I'll willingly let you go. It hurts. Don't think that I'm feeling fine. It hurts so much. My mind is in a whirl now... I wish you knew how much I want you back in my arms. I wish you knew how much it pained me to see your reaction each time I said something cruel. I wish you knew how much I regretted not being able to protect you from harm. There are so many things I wish you knew... And that excludes the fact that I love you, because it's something that you already know, and you can't even deny it.

You got me. Jessica Jung you got me when you gave me the notebook. You got me when you told me that I didn't want you any more. I could feel your words ripping my heart apart. Sica ya...I want you and I've never wanted anyone else after you stepped foot into my life. And now I don't know what I should do... I meant it when I told you that you're worth everything. But I'm scared. I don't care if anything happens to me. It's you I'm worried about... I'm scared... But... I feel like I can't let you go any longer... But can you give me some time...? That uneasy feeling isn't disappearing. But can I hold your hands while fighting it...? Can I still hold on to you this time...?



Taengoo

Jessica found tears welling up in her eyes, but she knew that they were not tears of sorrow. Without hesitation, she picked up her phone and started to type, although the content of her messages didn't exactly tally with the smile on her face.

Taeyeon 
where are u?
u're meeting me for dinner tonight.
i'm not taking no for an answer.
our restaurant at 7pm.
try not turning up.
i'm not even kidding.

 


[A/N] THE PECK :D Okay, I've gotta cool it. Now now, the mood for this story has been gradually improving, isn't it? :) I certainly hope so. Jessica still has her strong and unique personality, but in this chapter, you saw that when it comes to Taeyeon, there's still something that makes our Miss Jung become soft-hearted. That one magic word from Taeyeon - please. So, did anyone manage to correctly predict what was going to happen in this chapter? If not, what were you expecting? Also, is there anything/anyone you want to see in the last few chapters? Let me know. I'm waiting :) (My silly character-comments are still ongoing, if you wanna join in the fun. Hehe.)

Once again, this story is really coming to an end soon. So if you like this story and you wanna read more stories (especially TaengSic stories) from me, do visit my list of stories here and subscribe to the stories which you are interested in. I'm currently in preparation for a few one-shots/multi-shots and one alternate universe drama. I'll be off for now :)

© Sky Blue Tales