Now, Wake Up

The Broken Puzzle

- Story view -

It wasn't a good 2 o'clock in the afternoon before Jessica finally opened her eyes, with a throbbing headache which she felt soon after. It took her a minute or so before she realised that she didn't recognise the place that she was in. Slightly shocked, she sat up with much difficulty as she scanned the room. "Argh..." She held her head as the pain intensified.

It wasn't too long after when the door opened, and a familiar person stood at the entrance. Tiffany. Jessica didn't know why but she heaved a sigh of relief, seeing someone she knew so well. "Hey..." She called out weakly.

"Hey sweety, you're up, finally." Tiffany smiled gently, walking towards Jessica.

"I feel like my head's exploding... Is this your place...?"

"Where else?" The slightly younger girl flashed an eye-smile.

"That explains the pink, again." Jessica chuckled a little, before her headache overcame her again. "Ah . Anyway, why am I here? What happened? I don't remember ever making my way here..."

"You went drinking, remember? You can at least remember that right?"

"Ah. Drinking yes. But...that's about all..."

"What? You don't remember a single thing?"

"I can't. I had a little too much last night."

"Was something bothering you...?"

"No. Not really, I guess. I just wanted to let myself loose. So...you wanna fill me in about why I miraculously got myself in this pink palace?" Jessica raised an eyebrow.

"Stupid..." Tiffany rolled her eyes at her sarcasm about her pink obsession. "You called. Sorta."

"I'm having hallucinations, Tiff." Jessica said, after a short moment of pause, and Tiffany found herself looking at her friend, wide-eyed, in surprise.

"Hallucinations?"

"I thought... This place smells like Taeyeon." Jessica waved it off almost immediately. "Forget it. I'm being ridiculous."

"Babe..."

"Don't give me those eyes now. I don't need any pity. It makes me feel pathetic."

"I'm not. And you're not pathetic."

"I am. You know why?" She asked, looking right at Tiffany, who then shook her head. "She ditched me after asking me for a chance, and the reason she ditched me was that she couldn't get over her ex-girlfriend. Pretty much someone who is...dead. I should hate her. I should despise her. But I'm not doing any of those. I still love her. I miss her. And I want to be in her arms right at this moment. Tell me, isn't that pathetic?" Tiffany only stared at her, slightly agape because she didn't know how to reply her friend. She wanted to tell her that Taeyeon was leaving that night, but she had promised Taeyeon to keep it a secret. Who knows what was going to happen if Jessica can't find Taeyeon? It worried Tiffany just by thinking about it.

Tiffany was left alone in the house, except for Housekeeper Noh, after Jessica made her way back home. She bit on her lip as she thought hard about what was the "right decision". She understood Taeyeon's fear. She knew that her fear wasn't uncalled for. Yet, the fact that no one could ever predict the future made her feel that Taeyeon should take the risk. Afterall, she was so fond of her two best friends and she loved seeing the two of them together.

She had been the one to witness their progress right from the very start. Taeyeon had been awfully confused when she realised that one day without Jessica's message made her all jittery. That not seeing Jessica's face after more than a few days made her heart sour. That seeing Jessica at any time made her heart flutter. That seeing guys, or girls, hit on Jessica made her extremely furious. That she always wanted to be the one behind Jessica's smile. That she longed for the warmth that she got whenever Jessica held her hand. She was, in fact, scared out of her wits. Tiffany had a hard time trying to convince Taeyeon that it didn't matter a single bit which gender did she prefer, because as cliche as it sounded, love had no boundaries. Taeyeon had tried her very best to stay away from Jessica for a while - her escape mechanism. But it didn't work. In fact, it backfired so badly that it made Taeyeon ten times more confused than she already was, and before she knew it, she took Jessica's kiss one night when she walked her home. And it shocked her when Jessica said "I never expected you to feel the same way..." Tiffany had become their biggest fan from that day onwards. Taeyeon was her pride. Jessica was her pride. Their love was her pride. How then, could she bring herself to see the two lovebirds separate so tragically?

Tiffany thought long enough, before she picked up her phone and sent a message.

Krystal
I need to meet you.
Right now.

***

Krystal bit on her nail as she held the phone to her ears. "Damn. Pick up already!"

"Hello?" Krystal's eyes widened when the line got through.

"Jessi! Where are you now? You need to go get Taeyeon unnie!"

"Huh? Wait. What are you saying? Why do I need to get her?"

"She's flying somewhere. I don't know where. But she's flying. At 8. And it's already 6 now! She's probably checking in in about an hour's time. We've got no time to waste Jessi!"

"What?! I-I will go to the airport right now!"

"Okay I'll meet you there alright? I'm driving."

"Wait what. You got the car?!"

"I...I had to meet someone urgently. Sorry sis you'll have to take a cab or something. Hurry!"

". Okay."

Jessica managed to get a cab within a short time and she began calling Taeyeon, whose phone was already switched off. Her heart began thumping so wildly that, for a short period of time, she felt like she could faint any moment.

***

Taeyeon was at the cafe opposite the airport, sipping hot vanilla latte, hoping to soothe her cold heart. She could feel her heart wrenching, even at that very moment. "I miss you, so much." She muttered to herself, as she looked out of the glass. People were walking around endlessly. She looked at the people entering and leaving the airport, and she couldn't help but to feel sad that in just a moment, she would be leaving this place as well, and the girl she loved so much. It wasn't that she wouldn't return, but she knew that the next time she stepped onto this ground, she and Jessica would be history. Sometimes, especially right at this time, life seemed like chapters of goodbyes. Only this time, it was a goodbye she wasn't able to tell Jessica. "I'm sorry that I loved you, but thank you for loving me." She smiled bitterly, tears slowly welling up in her eyes.

It was then when she spotted a familar figure not too far away from the cafe, running. Jessica? Automatically, Taeyeon stood up from where she was and ran out of the cafe to catch up with the girl. Her eyes widened when a huge truck could be seen approaching the traffic light but Jessica didn't look like she had any intentions to stop. All that was in her mind, was to find Taeyeon. Taeyeon's gut instinct and her protective nature made her run doubly fast as she clenched her jaw. Jessica took a step out onto the path of the oncoming truck when a loud and long honk sounded. It was then that Jessica finally realised the situation that she was in. Her eyes widened in shock as the headlights from the truck blinded her.

Jessica's eyes widened in shock when the glaring headlights reached her eyes. "T-TAEYEON LOOK OUT!"

That piece of memory stunned Jessica, as she stood there, unable to move nor speak a word. In the nick of time, Taeyeon pulled hard at the girl with all her strength. The two girls fell backwards and landed on the floor from the strong pull. Jessica was shaking badly when she turned her head, and it was Taeyeon she saw.

"B-Baby..." Jessica cried as she painfully turned to look at Taeyeon. The girl was unconscious, and her body was covered with blood, her hands still wrapped around Jessica's arms but without any strength. "I...love you..."

-

"Kim Taeyeon." Taeyeon stopped when Jessica called her name.

"Turn around." She turned around.

"Come here." She then walked towards her.

"Closer." And she complied.

"A little bit more." She moved once again, and the two girls were barely an inch or two away from each other.

"Now, kiss me." Taeyeon broke into a smile and mindlessly looked at Jessica, not listening to her this time. The older girl looked at her and laughed slightly. "Then...can I kiss you?" Jessica asked, still smiling.

"No." The shorter girl finally answered as she leaned in and kissed her lips.

"Taeyeon ah, you look...really stunning tonight." Causing Taeyeon to blush a little as she smiled. "Ya... Aren't you going to say something similar to me too?" Jessica looked at girlfriend, annoyed.

"Shut up, my pretty one." Taeyeon shut her girlfriend up herself by planting her lips on hers.

-

"Flowers for the most beautiful lady." Taeyeon grinned as she handed Jessica a bouqet of flowers.

"Thank you! You're so sweet. Wait. Or did you do something wrong again?" Jessica narrowed her eyes as she eyed Taeyeon.

"Can't I be sweet for no reason? Or...do you count staring at your s something wrong?" The older girl let out a cheeky grin before earning herself a stinging smack on her arm.

-

"... That is a freaking pig."

"That's why I said it reminded me of you. HAHAHA."

-

"Jessi don't be such a wimp."

"Shut up."

"It's not even difficult. Just go up to her, tell her you wanna make friends, and that's it. What's so difficult?"

"Says the one who took a whole year before confessing to her crush."

"Shut up Jessi. At least I still did."

"What if she doesn't even swing that way? Wouldn't I be making a joke out of myself?"

"Seriously. And she's not worth you taking the chance? You're a wimp, Jessi."

"Shut up already. I'm not. And will you show some respect to your elder sister?"

"Prove it then. Talk to her tomorrow and get her number."

"And you think I can't do it."

"Do it then."

"I'll write her number down on a piece of paper and shove it down your throat tomorrow Jung Soojung."

"I'll tell mom."

"Like I ing care."

"Like you ing dare."

"You're asking for a beating Krystal Jung."

-

"NOW EAT THAT."

"MOM! JESSI IS MAKING ME EAT PAPER!"

"GET YOUR BACK HERE YOU BRAT."

-

"What?! You're serious about that? Soojung had to dare you before you even dare to approach me? Bwahahahahaha!" Jessica rolled her eyes at her girlfriend who was laughing her head off.

"I didn't tell you this to be mocked at."

"You...you're so adorable! Hahahahahaha!"

"Now are you going to stop it Kim Taeyeon?"

"I...*huff* I'll try... But *huff* HAHAHAHAHA!"

-

"Marry...me...?" Taeyeon finally popped the question, grinning like a kid who had just gotten a candy.

"You look like I've already said yes. What even makes you so sure?" Jessica looked at Taeyeon haughtily.

"I'm sure no one wants you, except me. What can I do, really. I love doing mankind a favour by taking in a monste-"

"You asked for it." Jessica lunged at Taeyeon as she tickled her, causing the older girl fall backwards while trying to squirm her way out of Jessica's grip. "ARE YOU GOING TO DO IT PROPERLY?"

"I... YES YES I'LL DO A PROPER HAHAHAHA PROPER PROPOSAL HAHAHAHA STOP IT!"

-

"Kim Taeyeon, marry me." Taeyeon smiled as she looked at her gorgeous girlfriend.

"Jung Sica, marry me."

"I said it first."

"It was me. I said it last week."

"I said it in the letter."

"I did too, and I wrote my letter first."

"So are you going to marry me?"

"Are you?"

"Kim Taeyeon."

"Jung Sica."

"Stop being annoying."

"Stop being annoying."

-

"I don't know what I did to deserve such a sweetheart like you Jess."

"Yeah totally. What good did you do to deserve me?"

"Seriously."

"I was just agreeing with you."

"You make me regret telling you sweet nothings, every single time."

"Actually..."

"What?"

"I love you."

"I know."

"You don't."

"I know you love me."

Taeyeon finally composed herself as she glared at Jessica. "WHAT THE HELL WERE Y-"

"But you don't know one thing."

"What?"

"I love you more than life, Kim..."

"T-Taeyeon..." Jessica stuttered, as she completed the sentence from her flashback, before her world went dark.

"J-Jess? Hey! Jess!" Taeyeon patted Jessica's cheek frantically as she unknowingly called out her real name. "Sica ya! Jung Sooyeon get back to your senses! Baby don't scare me!"

 


[A/N] The much awaited... Wait, I shall not divulge anything, lest you read my note before you read the chapter itself. Hehe, I'm so childish like that. As usual, I sure hope you enjoyed the chapter. And I hope too, that you understand the need for my buildup from earlier chapters all the way until the latest scene. This chapter has much less angst and sadness as compared to the previous ones, surprisingly, but yet, not so surprisingly. You will know why, soon. I hope ;)

I'm dead tired now, again, but I felt that I shouldn't keep you readers waiting. I swear that talking to all of you, no matter through direct replies or my general reply, makes me feel alive as an author. I was telling sparksfly7 (who writes awesome stories, I swear you're missing out if you're not reading his/her stories) how much the appreciation from the readers mean to us. I hope you'll always leave comments, so that we can keep talking to each other like that :) On a side note, I had an idea for another AU story the other day. Jessica's gonna be hell cool in it. It's called The Silver Guardian. TaengSic of course, since I love them so much. The first chapter is out but I'll be continuing that story after I'm done with 'The Broken Puzzle'. Oh and don't forget about Unfortunately, I Need You too! ^^

© Sky Blue Tales