Taengoo

The Broken Puzzle

- Taeyeon's POV -

I sat at my desk in my room, as I stared blankly at my phone cover. Two weeks. I should be feeling happy, shouldn't I? Jessica was alive. I said that I really wanted to see Jessica, and I was going to get my wish. She was going to be mine for two weeks. But why, why was I feeling so rotten inside? Was it because I knew that the timer had already started and the days I had left with Jessica were decreasing every second?

I clenched my jaw. Well, if I was going to lose her all the same, why not cherish the remaining time, isn't it? I made up my mind, and I changed her contact name on my phone before I sent a message to her, even though it was midnight soon.

My Love 
Baby are you asleep?

A reply came pretty fast, and I found myself smiling at her reply.

My Love ♥ 
I'm awakeeeee ^^
Can I go look you up?
Huh? Now?
Yeah now.
Did something happen?
Nope. I just want to see you right now.
Cheesy~~~
Ok :)
Where do you wanna go at this time?
Can I go fetch you and then we go to my hotel?
I can't sleep. I need you by my side.
Oh gosh why are you so cheesy today?
But I like that ;)
Okay tell me when you're reaching and I'll wait for you at the usual place!
Okay :) I'm heading out now.
Ok! See you soon love :)
:) :)

I grabbed my coat before I made my way out. I didn't waste any time in getting Jessica and we reached my hotel pretty soon. She went straight for the bed again, before snuggling into the blanket. 

"Baby, is this how it feels like if we live together next time?" She asked, with a blissful smile on her face. My lips automatically curved into a smile as a response.

"Maybe?" I joined her on the bed and snuggled into the blanket too.

We kept silent for a while, as we enjoyed each other's company. The silence was fine. In fact, it was peaceful and so strangely heartwarming.

"Baby." I suddenly pulled her close and she nuzzled up against me, her chin fitting perfectly on my shoulder.

"Mmm?" She replied, and it sent a little tingling sensation to my neck.

"I missed you." She pulled away for a bit and gave me a strange look when she heard what I said.

"What's wrong with you?"

"Nothing's wrong. I love you."

"Tiff was being weird that day too, dragging me around everywhere and telling me she missed me. Seriously, did I like come back from a faraway place or something hahaha."

"Something like that?"

"Huh?" She stopped laughing as she sent me a strange look again.

"You came back from...heaven. Like...you know, you came to me like an angel."

"Woah woah Kim Taeyeon. Your sweet nothings today are way overboard. Did you do something wrong?" I chuckled when I heard her.

"Wait. Or did you do something wrong again?"

Was it something in her blood to always suspect that I did something wrong? Some things never change, do they?

"You're upset when I'm being all cold and weird, and when I'm hot and sweet you're upset too. What is it that I should do, my Royal Highness?" I teased.

"Wait... Honestly. Did you bring me here so that you could do naughty things with me Kim Taeyeon?!" I let out a laugh when she exclaimed.

"Any other day, I would probably be blowing kisses on your neck by now, stupid. I really just want you by my side tonight. I wanna fall asleep with you beside me." Because I really missed that. I really missed falling asleep with Jessica in my arms. When I felt a sour feeling in my nose, I quickly shook away all those sad thoughts.

"You're...awfully sweet today. Do you know? I love you Taeyeon. I'm so glad to have you in my life. I must have done something so good in my previous life to deserve you."

"No. I don't deserve someone as good as you, you know?"

"Don't be silly. I'm not good. You are. You're such a sweetheart."

"Baby..."

"Yeah?"

"I love you. And I will always love you. Remember that."

"I will always love you too." She beamed a smile at me before making herself comfortable in my arms again.

***

- Story view -

Jessica woke up before Taeyeon did, and the girl smiled as she traced her girlfriend's features with her eyes. Lovingly, she caressed Taeyeon's face, gently brushing the back of her index finger against her the older girl's cheek. Taeyeon stirred in her sleep when she felt the touch, but she didn't wake up, and Jessica found herself trying to suppress a laugh at how cute she was.

Time passed as both girls stayed in their positions, Jessica's eyes never leaving the girl. Taeyeon finally woke up, and when she cracked her eyes open, she was welcomed with a bright smile from the girl she had loved all her life. She rubbed her eyes as she wondered if this was a dream.

"Good morning sleepyhead." Jessica gently knocked Taeyeon's head with her knuckle.

"Ouch! Hey!" Taeyeon groaned as she rubbed her head.

"I wasn't even using my strength you whiny kid!"

"Oh shut up..." Taeyeon naturally pinned Jessica down as she put a hand over her stomach, hugging her from the side.

Jessica laughed as she rested her head on Taeyeon's and the two of them enjoyed each other's embrace on a beautiful morning. It wasn't a good thirty minutes after, before Taeyeon spoke up.

"Baby?"

"Mmm?"

"What do you wanna do?" Taeyeon asked, as she sat up and pulled Jessica up a little so that the younger girl rested comfortably in her arms.

"Do what?"

"That's what I'm asking you silly." Taeyeon gently tucked Jessica's hair behind her ear.

"Huh? I don't get it. Why the sudden question?"

"Nothing... I was just wondering, is there anything that you really wanna do with someone you love?"

"Someone I love?" Jessica grinned as she looked at the older girl. "I think that's you?" She giggled after saying.

"Hahaha yes. And for me, that's you. Always you."

"Liar! There was someone else before me." Jessica pouted.

"Why can't you just accept everything I say?" Taeyeon playfully glared at her. "I'm telling you, it's always you."

"I spoil the moment don't I?" The younger girl giggled yet again. "Okay. For me, it's always you too."

"Silly you." Taeyeon said as she ruffled her hair. "So...you haven't answered my question."

"Something I really wanna do huh?" Taeyeon nodded. "Hmm... I don't know. I didn't quite think about it. Why?"

"Tell you what. Let's..." Taeyeon climbed out of bed as she walked to the dressing table and grabbed the complimentary notepad in the room and two pens from the table before she joined Jessica on the bed again.

"What are you doing?" Jessica was confused, as she looked on.

"Let's write down the things we can think of. Things that we would wanna do together."

"Kim Taeyeon is something up your sleeves again?" Jessica's eyes narrowed as she eyed Taeyeon suspiciously.

"Look, I'm just tryna be...romantic okay! Don't do it if you don't want t-" Taeyeon was about to retract her hand which was offering Jessica one page of the notepad when Jessica snatched it.

"Okay okay! You need to work on your patience baby. You're way too short-tempered!" The older girl didn't answer as she looked away, unknowingly pouting. Jessica laughed as she climbed forward and hugged Taeyeon from behind. "Don't be mad at me you!" When Taeyeon still didn't reply, the younger girl put her paper aside and then started tickling her, getting her to surrender immediately.

"Gosh get away from me!" Taeyeon squirmed as she kept laughing.

"Tell me you're not mad at me any more!" Jessica wouldn't stop.

"NO!"

"Fine then! Let's see how long you can last."

"GOSH OKAY OKAY I'M NOT MAD ANY MORE. STOP PLEASE! AHAHAHA BABY!" Jessica finally stopped her tickling as Taeyeon panted.

"I'll see if you dare to be mad at me ag- Mmm!" Jessica was halfway smirking over her victory when Taeyeon suddenly turned and pushed her down on the bed, capturing Jessica's lips with her own. She pulled away after a while, as she maintained eye contact with the younger girl.

"It feels like a really long time since I've last seen you, baby." Taeyeon said, as her eyes showed how much she was longing for the girl she thought she had lost. With a gentle tug, Jessica pulled Taeyeon into her arms this time, letting Taeyeon lie comfortably in her embrace.

"You know, it's strange that I always get a familiar feeling when I'm with you. Like...you're just meant to be here. Is that what they call fate?"

"I call it love."

"I love you, Taeyeon. Forever and always."

There was another period of silence as they just stayed in each other's embrace. Then, Taeyeon spoke up again. She had never felt such an urge to talk to someone. She almost didn't want to stop, at all.

"Baby?"

"You're calling for me for the millionth time today sweety. Yes?"

"Do you...have some kinda...nicknames or something?"

"Nicknames?"

"Yeah. Like, what your parents call you, or your sister, or your friends or something. Your sister probably calls you by your name?"

"Hmm? Why do you think so? My sister just calls me sis. My parents call me Claire. Friends wise...I don't really have friends. My friends are all around my sister's age and they're all younger than me so they just call me unnie. Some business partners call me Miss Janson and all... But no, I don't have a nickname I think. Why?"

"Ah... I was just curious."

"How about you? I know Tiff calls you TaeTae at times right? Honestly it's a little mushy. Hehe."

"Haha is it? Well...I get called a whole lot of different names. TaeTae by Tiffany yes. And then names like Tae, Taeng... I got called ahjumma before because of my laughter. And then ByunTaeng because they said I was a byuntae... And..." Taeyeon had a strange expression as her words trailed off.

"Uh-huh?"

"Well..." Taeyeon contemplated for a while. "Taengoo. I kinda really like it."

"Taengoo...?" Jessica meant it as a question, but Taeyeon felt that warmth surged through her body as she heard that nickname she hadn't been hearing since more than two years ago.

"Yup."

"That's like really cute! Taengoo Taengoo. Hahaha I shall call you that from now on!"

"W-what...?" Taeyeon didn't know what she was stuttering.

"What? You don't like it?"

"Ah no no! It's fine. I love it. Alright. Only you shall call me that then." Taeyeon managed to smile. "So...shall we get started on the things we wanna do?" The older girl smiled.

"Yup!"

Half an hour passed and Jessica happily clicked the pen on her hand as she finished her last word, only to realise that Taeyeon was mindlessly looking at her.

"What? You're done?" Jessica asked.

"Yup. Let's look at it!"

The two girls laid the two papers side by side.

"KIM TAEYEON!" Jessica yelled when she saw Taeyeon's paper.

1. Marry you
2. Everything my baby girl wants to do :)

Taeyeon grinned as she gave a peace sigh. "Hahahaha let's look at yours!"

1. Ride bicycles! ^^
2. Have a picnic and fly a kite
3. Cook together omnomnom
4. Yacht~
5. OVERSEAS TRIP :D :D :D

"Kim Taeyeon. I was racking my brains trying to think of things and all you wrote was... 'Everything my baby girl wants to do'?!"

Taeyeon didn't say anything. Instead, she smiled as she collapsed back onto the bed. She missed Jessica being like this for so long. She had thought that she would never get to hear her voice again, let alone hear her complaining to her.

"Kim Taeyeon I'm talking to you!"

"Baby."

"What?!"

"Thank you."

"What...?"

"For...uh..." Taeyeon was already feeling the tears starting to form. "For coming back to me."

"T-Taeyeon ah..." Jessica crouched over to take a better look at Taeyeon when she saw the tears in her eyes. "What's wrong...?"

Taeyeon didn't reply again, as she shook her head and smiled. She gently reached out as she traced Jessica's hair. "You're beautiful, you know that?"

***

Krystal frowned as she put her phone down. She didn't know if this was going to be a good idea. It wasn't long after, when the doorbell rang. She slowly stood up and started walking, and she casted a look at her mother who was in the kitchen, before she moved to the door. When the door was opened, a smile greeted her. It was the second time she had seen this girl after two years.

"Unnie... Come in." She gave a bitter smile as she let the guest in. "Mom...? Erm..." She called out to her mother after closing the door.

"Yes Krys! What is the mat-" Mrs Jung's jaw dropped when she saw the visitor.

After all the shock, Taeyeon and Mrs Jung sat at the dining table, while Krystal waited at the couch in the living room. Mrs Jung couldn't take a proper look at Taeyeon. She knew that she had done her wrong, even if that was to protect her dear daughter.

"Mom... No... I mean... Mrs Jung..."

"Taeyeon ah... Mom wa-"

"Please...hear me out first..."

"Okay..."

"Mrs Jung I erm... Before I got to know the truth... I was dating someone... And her name is...Claire..." Mrs Jung's eyes widened in shock when she heard what Taeyeon said.

"..."

"It was only until recently...that I found out the truth after I saw too many coincidences... But Mrs Jung... Don't worry... Because... I won't stick to her..." Mrs Jung's eyes flickered when she said that. She never hated the girl, neither did she really blame Taeyeon for the accident. She did everything only to make sure that her daughter could be safe. "And the reason I'm here is...is to tell you that I understand your decision... That...I might have done the same thing to protect someone I love so much..."

"Taeyeon ah m-"

"And..." Taeyeon suddenly stood up as she walked towards Mrs Jung.

Without warning, she dropped to her knees as her tears fell. Mrs Jung immediately stood up as she fumbled to make Taeyeon get up.

"Taeyeon ah what are you doing?!"

"Mom... I...I'm sorry I couldn't protect Jessica... Mom I'm sorry..." Her words brought tears to Mrs Jung. She adored Taeyeon, and she had almost treated her like one of her daughters.

"Taeyeon ah please get up... Please don't do this..."

"Mom..."

"Get up..." Taeyeon slowly get up as she weakly sat on her chair again, and Mrs Jung cupped her hands with her own.

"Taeyeon ah listen to me... You're so dear to me... You're so so dear to me... I'm sorry for doing this..."

"No... I'm the one who is sorry..."

"I really don't know what to do now about you two now that you have met her again... I..."

"No... It's okay... I've made up my mind. I want her to be safe as much as you do. Thank you for giving her a new life..."

"Taeyeon..."

"I wanna bring her overseas for one last time... I just...need to ask for two weeks from you. Two weeks to make a proper closure... I'll let her be after that... I promise..."

"I..."

"Please..."

"Taeyeon... The thing is I'm not even sure if breaking you two apart is what is good for her..."

"It will be. We're just...not meant to be. I just need that two weeks... That's the only thing I ask for..."

"I... Okay... If that's what you want..."

"Thanks... Thank you so much..."

The two of them fell silent for a while, until Taeyeon spoke up.

"Mrs Jung... I think...that's all... I shall get going..." Taeyeon stood up to leave.

"O-okay..." Mrs Jung stood up too as she followed behind Taeyeon, and Krystal quickly rushed forward.

"Unnie..." Krystal tugged at Taeyeon's arm when she was at the door.

"Hmm...?" Taeyeon smiled at the little sister.

"Sorry..."

"Don't be silly..." She let her hand slide down Krystal's hair. "I didn't get to tell you this that time. But Soojung ah, you've grown up so much in two years... I'm always proud of you." Krystal couldn't reply as tears welled up in her eyes. Taeyeon gave a smile, before she turned to leave.

"Taeyeon ah." Mrs Jung suddenly called out and Taeyeon stopped in her tracks as she turned back to look.

"Bring Butler Oh with you. He will keep you two safe..." Mrs Jung gently smiled, and Taeyeon nodded as she smiled in response. "And... I'll pay for all your travel expenses... Just...enjoy yourselves. That's the only thing left that I can do for you, Taeyeon..." Taeyeon found herself running into Mrs Jung's arms as both of them cried.

"Mom... Please take care of yourself... Tell the girls to bring you to the doctor whenever you feel your chest pains or dizziness or anything... Anemia isn't a trivial matter..."

"What should I do to make up for the pain I've given you my kind hearted kid..." Mrs Jung patted Taeyeon's back as her tears flowed uncontrollably.

 


[A/N] This is a shoutout to all those who commented, I just wanna give you a big thank you. Every single one of your comments keeps me going, compliments and criticism alike. Unlike my one-shot/multi-shots which are subscriber-only, I didn't make this particular story subscriber-only because I really wanted to know whether it was good enough for people to want to continue reading. So, thank you to everyone who subscribed, and also those who upvoted :) Remember that I'm always waiting to read about what you feel about each and every chapter!

"It feels like if I keep writing, I'll be able to keep talking to you. It's so silly, isn't it?" Hehehe let me take a reference from my 'Dear Jessica' and dedicate it to all of you readers! ;) Oh, and I'm just curious. Is there anyone who would make the same decision as Taeyeon, if you were in her shoes? I got a feeling I would... But probably only after a second time I get her injured. I'm kinda selfish like this, isn't it... :/

© Sky Blue Tales