Deal

The Broken Puzzle

- Claire's POV -

It's been a week since me and this girl called Taeyeon started talking, and honestly, there was this warm fuzzy feeling I get whenever we text.

Taeyeon
Hey hey hey hey :)
Hey Claire!
What are you doing?
Nothing much. Practising for a gig.
You do music?
Yeah I do :)
How about you? What are you doing?
I don't do much. Hehe. I just help my dad a little bit here and there.
No I mean...what are you doing now?
Silly you.
Oh! I'm just reading a book. Do you read?
Used to.
I'd read whatever my friend wanted me to.
Other than that I don't.
What kind of books do you read?

***

A month passed by really quickly as I got closer to this girl. She was growing on me, to be honest.

Taeyeon
Are you awakeeeeee?
I ammmmmmmmm.
Can we hang out?
SURE. I AM SO BORED. WHERE SHALL WE GO TO?
HOW ABOUT THE CAFE WE TALKED ABOUT THE OTHER TIME?
OKAY.
WHY MUST WE TALK IN CAPS?
I'M EXCITED.
ME TOO.
TIME?
MEET YOU THERE AT NOON.
OKAY.
YOUR TREAT IF YOU'RE LATE.
WHY SHOULD I?
BECAUSE I SAID SO.

***

- Taeyeon's POV -

It has been a little while since I last met Tiffany up. We were both so busy. Or should I say, I had been really busy hanging out with...someone. Even right at this moment, I was texting that someone, when Tiffany was sitting opposite me at our favourite restaurant. But honestly, she herself was really busy too, in my defense.

Claire :)
I know right! Yesterday I was talking to a client and he was all bragging.
I swear I almost punched him.
Easy easy!
Guess I shouldn't mess with you huh?
I don't wanna risk having a bruise on my eye.
Hahaha were you intending to mess with me?
Oh I dare not, Your Highness.
Stop this nonsense Taeyeon! Hahaha.
What are you doing now anyway?
I'm at this cafe with m

"You really have got to stop smiling to yourself Taeyeon." Tiffany suddenly spoke, and I stopped typing.

"I'm not." I denied, and I locked my phone.

"Have you been dating?"

"What? No."

"You're behaving like... Okay. Come on. Who is it?"

"No one Tiffany. Stop bugging me."

"Let me take a look at that."

"NO! GET OFF! Ya. Give it back." I glared at her when she managed to snatch my phone away. Luckily, my phone was passcode protec...

"Claire? Who's that?" Wait. Tiffany had my password. Shucks!

"Just give it back!" I stretched and snatched it back, annoyed.

"So who's Claire?"

"..."

"Taeyeon."

"..."

"Kim Taeyeon who's Claire?"

"TIFFANY SERIOUSLY!"

"Who is she?"

"Promise me you won't make a big deal."

"Okay I promise."

"You didn't even think."

"Okay. Mmm... Okay I promise."

"Whatever. Well...I went to a social event a month back and I saw someone who...looks like Jessica."

"Taeyeon you can't be serious. Looks like, Taeyeon. Looks like."

"I know. I just...couldn't stop myself from making friends with her."

"Taeyeon please. You loved Jessi. Don't just...date anyone because she looks like her."

"Tiffany I'm not dating her. I just made friends with her."

"Did you even look at how you were smiling to your phone?"

"I'm really not dating her. I will never betray Jessica."

"No Taeyeon that wasn't what I meant. You probably should start dating again. Just...not for the reason that someone looks like Jessi."

"Gosh Tiffany look. I'm not dating her because she looks like Jessica. And, I'm not even dating her."

"Do you know that just now, you looked exactly like how you did before you and Jessi got together? Taeyeon please don't make such a mistake. Don't hurt yourself and someone else just because...of looks."

"Tiffany. For the last time. I only made friends with her. And, she had a guy with her at the event when I met her. Who knows if she even swings that way. So if you're intending to go on about how I'm gonna get together with her just 'cause she looks like Sica, then I'm leaving."

"Okay okay relax. So...how is she like?"

"You won't believe it. She looks identical to Sica. Even her voice!"

"Taeyeon were you...hallucinating or something...?"

"Quit staring at me as though I've a mental problem. I would show you if I have a picture."

"Then you're gonna show me a photo of you and Jessi right."

"Tiffany Hwang what's your problem?"

"Haha I'm kidding... So what's it like now?"

"We're just talking. We really hit it off well. NOT because she looks like Jessica, for the last time."

***

I watched in amusement as Claire ate slices by slices the cucumbers on her plate. It was like watching Jessica eat cucumbers, deliciously, which honestly was impossible.

"What are you staring at? You want a piece?" She poked her fork onto a slice and held it in front of me.

"Ah no it's fine. Remember when I told you that I had a friend who really looks like you?"

"I do. What about her?"

"She hated cucumbers to the core. She would stay at least a metre away from any cucumbers. It was really funny."

"Oh really? Anyway, I've been wanting to see. Show me a photo of her!" My eyes widened a little at her request, but I mindlessly took my phone out and scrolled through my gallery.

"Here."

"Woah?! We look IDENTICAL." She was staring at me afterwards, her eyes almost popping out.

"I know right. That explains why I was staring at you like a psycho the first time we met."

"Hahaha yeah. You looked like a complete psycho."

"And that was why you didn't want to meet me again and ran off without leaving your number?"

"What? No. I was really in a rush. But I'm really glad we met again!"

"Yeah." I smiled as I said.

"So...was she your...girlfriend?" I was halfway putting the pasta into my mouth when she asked and I froze, with the noodles dangling between my mouth and my fork. I quickly regained my composure and swallowed my food before I attempted to talk.

"Yeah..."

"Do I...remind you a lot of her?"

"The first time we met, you did. But you two are really different. Take the cucumber thing for instance. So it's fine now. You're you." I gave a toothy grin.

"Did you two...break up?" My smile faded as I swallowed my saliva.

"We...didn't. She uh...passed away."

"Shucks I'm so sorry! I didn't mean t-"

"It's okay. You didn't know. Let's not talk about me. How about you? You're straight aren't you?"

"Oh that... I'm not sure. Hehe." I found myself smiling again when she giggled.

"What nonsense. How can you not know?"

"I've never dated. So... I don't know. I may be straight, or maybe not. Are you trying to hit on me again?" She teased.

"Haha I'm not. I swear I never intended to."

"Am I that unattractive?" She pouted.

"What? No! Don't be silly. You're a gorgeous woman. I just didn't want you to think that I'm tryna...hit on you or something just because you looked like...her."

"It's okay. It's a natural thing isn't it? Plus, I do have to agree that we look identical. Just remember that I'm Claire!"

"Yeah yeah I won't forget." I grinned as I ate a piece of mushroom.

"I won't be surprised if we date though." I choked on that mushroom when I heard what she said.

"What?!"

"Hahaha chill! I just said I won't be surprised. I mean, you look good with her in the photo. Since we look alike, it feels like we'll look good together too."

"Are you like flirting with me now?"

"I'm not. I've got better taste."

"Seriously Claire!" I laughed as I gently smacked her arm, and she laughed along too.

We kept silent for a while as we ate our food, but a thousand thoughts were running through my mind. "You probably should start dating again." Tiffany's words rang in my mind repeatedly. But I wasn't over Jessica yet. Wouldn't it be wrong?

"Claire."

"Hmm?"

"I'm just thinking about it. It's not anything serious. But if, let's say if, we do date, won't you be worried?"

"Hahaha so you do want to date me? Well... Worried about what?"

"Worried that...I'm just...treating you as a replacement...or something like that."

"Oh. Mmm... If we really date, I guess it's inevitable that it's gonna happen, that you see her in me. I probably wouldn't mind for a while. But as time goes by, I think you and I both know that you have to be clear that I'm Claire, and I will always be Claire. And if we really love each other... I don't see why not."

"Mmm..." I nodded as I took a sip of cider.

"What. Are you like really considering dating me?"

"Haha we're so open about this here that it's funny. I don't know. I don't want myself to want to date you just because you look like her. I'm still...unsure. But we really hit it off very well, and there's no way I can deny that."

"Do you want to hear something honest?"

"Yeah sure."

"I'm interested in you Taeyeon."

"Woah. Is that a confession?"

"No. That's just a statement." Claire grinned as she took her glass up and downed the remaining cider inside.

"Can I...ask why?"

"I don't know. The way we talk? The way we...just...fit. I don't know." She shrugged.

"Well then, let's take a little more time to know each other better before we decide on anything, alright? Can I reserve you for now?"

"What? Do I sound like I'm a table in a restaurant?"

"Hahaha I take that as a yes."

"I'm reserving you too."

"Okay deal."

"Deal."

***

Claire :)
I'm home. Are you? :)
Nope. On the way. Go and have a shower and grab some sleep!
Don't text when you're driving! Let me know when you're home.
Kkkkkkkkkk :)
:)

After another 20 minutes, I finally reached home after the dinner with Claire.

Claire :)
Home!
Sleep earlier alright :)
Great! Ok take care :)

Without changing my clothes, I threw my phone carelessly beside my pillow and collapsed onto the bed. I turned to look at the photo frame on the desk. Jess... I met someone who looks like you. I don't know if I'm falling for her, or am I falling for you all over again. I miss you. When I see her, it's like...seeing you back in my life. But you know what Sica, she loves cucumbers. It's funny isn't it? I bet you would tell me to stay away from her because of the cucumbers. Have you been well? Are you watching over me in heaven? So...what should I do now Sica? Is it really time for me to try dating someone again, like Tiffany said? Are you the one who sent Claire to me? But you and Claire are so...different. Remember how I said anyone could tell it's you by the way you type? Claire types just like me. The nerd style, as you would name it. It's cold tonight baby. Can you make it a little warmer? It's hard to fall asleep. When it's so cold. And when I'm missing you so badly.

 


© Sky Blue Tales