My Sister

The Broken Puzzle

- Krystal's POV -

I swallowed my saliva as I looked at the box on my desk. A certain kind of sadness was overwhelming me, when I saw the contents inside. Tons and tons of letters, little accessories, photos, the ring box containing her couple ring with Taeyeon unnie, and on top of them all, her phone. It was the first time I took the box out in two years. Gently, I picked up the phone from within the box. It looked almost brand new. I found myself biting hard on my teeth when I turned the phone over and looked at the cover.

"Cute, isn't it?" Jessi waved her phone in front of me.

"Woah. Taeyeon designed it?"

"Mind your manners."

"We aren't even speaking in Korean now... Fine fine. Taeyeon unnie."

"Yes she designed it! Let me show you how it looks like when they're put together. Look!" She scrolled through the photo gallery in her phone and showed me the photo. It was really cute. Jessi's cover had a chibi version of herself with the words "one and only" on top, while Taeyeon's cover had a similar chibi version of herself with the words "love". When the two covers were put together, it was as if Taeyeon and Jessi's characters were holding hands.

"You're so lucky to have a talented girlfriend Jessi."

"Excuse me. You mean, she's so lucky to have me."

"Oh I can't be bothered with you. I wanna go talk on the phone with Taeyeon unnie. Buzz off."

"WAIT WHAT?! I TOLD HER I'M CALLING HER. COME BACK YOU BRAT." I made a dash to the living room when the sister gave chase as I frantically tried to call Taeyeon unnie.

"YOU CAN'T CATCH ME! Hello? Taeyeon unnie? Yes yes. Oh. No Jessi said she's letting me call you."

"YA JUNG SOOJUNG HANG UP RIGHT NOW. TAEYEON AHHHHHH!"

My heart felt so congested. Taeyeon unnie treated me like her own sister. In fact, there were times when my sister got angry at her for spoiling me, even though my sister herself was spoiling me so much on her own.

I jumped when my door suddenly clicked open. Shocked, I quickly put the phone back into the box and covered the lid.

"What's that?" Sis asked.

"O-oh nothing. I was clearing my stuffs. Sup sis?" She didn't look quite convinced but she shrugged it off.

"Oh... I was just...you know...thinking about stuffs."

"Stuffs? Come on sit down." I walked to my bed and sat down as I motioned her to join me, which she did. "Did something happen?"

"Not really..." She said, after she hesitated for a few seconds while she bit her lip.

"Then what's the matter?"

"It's just...recently...I'm getting a lot of...images in my head."

"Images...? What kind of images?"

"Like...people in my life? Their faces are always blurred but it's a really...special feeling. Like...like they're very important to me or something. But I can't make out who they are..."

"Any...specific example?"

"Mmm... There's one that really gets me. It's just...someone...protecting me and I just...keep crying. It appeared quite a few times in my dreams..."

"Huh?" I raised my eyebrow. Someone protecting her and she just kept crying...? I didn't quite know what she was talking about. "O...kay... Hmm, any more?"

"And... There's this... I don't know it's really weird. I could see...you? And...someone? A girl? With...her sister or something. I can't see their faces... But it was a...erm..." Jessica furrowed her eyebrows and I found myself staring blankly.

"Unnie unnie." Taeyeon unnie and Jessi both turned to look at me. "Oh sorry. I meant Taeyeon unnie." The sister rolled her eyes and went back to eating her kimbabs.

"Yes?" Taeyeon unnie smiled.

"Unnie did you see the new Samsung phone?"

"Hmm? You mean this?" Taeyeon unnie held up her phone and my eyes widened in envy.

"Gosh yes! You already got it?! I heard it's soooo good!" I blinked my eyes a few times and gave her that look.

"Hahaha okay okay I get it. I'll buy you one tomorrow." She let out a laugh.

"YAY! TAEYEON UNNIE YOU'RE THE BEST!"

"YA JUNG SOOJUNG! Taeyeon ah don't listen to her. Stop spoiling her." Jessi turned and yelled at me before talking to Taeyeon unnie and I pouted.

"Haha you're going to end up buying for her anyway. What's the difference?" Taeyeon unnie teased.

"Ya. I'm not going to buy for her."

"It doesn't even cost that much. For your information, you bought her the Burberry coat when she said she wanted it for Christmas. And then you bought her the Lakewood guitar because she said she wanted to learn it. Then you bought her all the albums of Girls' Generation because Hayeon told her that I bought them for her and Krystal in turn asked you for them. Last but not least, you even bought her the Chanel wallet she wa-"

"Okay enough Kim Taeyeon. I don't need to hear any more. Spoil her for all you want. I'm out of this."

Taeyeon unnie chuckled and she gave me a hi-five while Jessi rolled her eyes.

"Krys? Krys!" I got out of my trance as she waved her hand in front of me.

"S-sorry? What did you say?"

"I said, it was like...we went out on a picnic or something. Did we?"

"W-what? Er... Well... Not that I know of. You're getting weird images huh."

"I know right... Heol..."

I turned to look at the box of Jessi's things on my desk before turning away as I let out a sigh.

***

- Taeyeon's POV -

My hands were in my pockets as I walked towards my car in the shopping mall's carpark when I felt someone hooking their arm with mine. I didn't even have to turn before I smiled. The girl tightened her arm around me as she steered closer.

"Ahchoo! Excuse me... Ahchoo! Excuse me... Ahchoo! Argh!" I couldn't help but to laugh when Claire sneezed non-stop. "I-I think I should stay away from you." Claire was about to let go when I pulled her back.

"No no no no no. You stay right here. I'll keep you warm."

"But I-"

"Shut up."

"Yes Young Miss Kim..." She pouted and I pinched her cheek.

We retrieved the car really quickly and turned up the heater in the car to keep her warm. I finally brought her for a drive after I promised her the other time.

"How do you even know such quiet roads?" Claire asked, amazed, in a very nasal tone.

"I like going for drives. And I don't like it when people are around."

"Then what about m-"

"You are an exception, of course." I turned to look at Claire who was smiling away, happy that she got the answer she wanted.

I randomly took a Girls' Generation disc, which Hayeon left in my car so she could listen to it when she's on my car, and played it as we sped through the quiet roads where there was only us. Her phone rang and she took the call, but I didn't pay attention to it.

"Hey?"

-

"Yup yup?" I smiled a little as I heard her overflowing cuteness.

-

"Yes. Much better!"

-

"I'm just hanging around."

-

"I know."

-

"Soup? What soup?"

-

"Oh it's okay. I don't really like that."

-

"Nope it's fine."

-

"Yes I will."

-

"Yup. Love you too Krys! Bye!"

Subconsciously I stepped hard on the brake as the car forcefully came to an abrupt halt and turned to look at her.

"Gosh Taeyeon!" Claire's hand was over her chest as shock took over her face when she looked at me.

"W-who was that?" I was trying to keep my voice stable as I asked her.

"Huh? The phone call? My sister. Why?"

"Your...w-who...?"

 


[A/N] Wow... I'm so glad to hear from more of you after Chapter 16: One More Chance! Thank you so much. It means a lot to me :) Can I continue to hear about what you think about the story? :) So on a personal level, story aside, apparently about 2/3 of you actually would still want to know the truth while the other 1/3 would want to leave it to fate? I myself was thinking about it and I decided that I belonged to the 1/3. If I ever know that being with me somehow endangers my partner's life, I don't think I can still stay by my partner's side :( But on a side note, I've already somehow planned the rest of the story. Are you ready to join me as the real story unfolds? ;)

P.S. Should I give you a slight hint? In my rough plan, there were some words I scribbled that went like

"Leave while I'm still being nice."

Now now. Who, exactly, do you think was the one who said that? Jessica (or Claire hehehe)? Taeyeon? Tiffany? Krystal? Ailee (how random)? Wanna make a guess? ^^
Oh, and please imagine an evil smirk on my face ;) Do stay with me though!

And and and! TaengSic lovers, if you still don't know about my TaengSic three-shot (now with an additional bonus chapter) 'Dear Jessica' and one-shot 'Listen Till The End', it's time you check it out. (They're already completed. So don't worry about cliffhangers!) Pretty please? :)

© Sky Blue Tales