Wouldn't It Be Nice - Hoya/Myungsoo

Vignettes

Prompt: “I fell asleep on your couch after a party, but you didn't complain and made breakfast for the both of us”

 

This was actually supposed to be a longer one-shot, but I couldn't really figure out the plot, so I decided to just post what I wrote here. I've wanted to write hosoo for the longest time; I don't know why I haven't yet honestly. I don't think I'll write any more to this, but I'll definitely try to write more hosoo in general.

 

 

 

Myungsoo always knew Sungyeol was a bad influence. It's amusing to watch most of the time—and admittedly fun when he occasionally joins in—but right now he can only curse having Sungyeol as a best friend. He's not too crazy about the way his head is pounding at the moment. Or the fact that he's definitely not lying in the comfort of his own bed. Instead he's face down on the lumpy couch Howon bought from a friend of a friend. His head is resting on the one throw pillow that came with the chair that Howon always hogs for himself. (Myungsoo's head turns just enough to press his nose against the worn fabric. It smells so much like him.)

"You're finally up?"

Howon's voice is quiet, but amused. And close, like he's hovering right over him. "I wish I wasn't," Myungsoo groans. He cracks one eye open to look at his friend. There's a small smile on his face and Myungsoo can tell Howon is enjoying his pain even if he's not teasing him about it. "What am I doing here anyway?"

"I should be asking you that," Howon sends back. He finally takes a seat, pushing Myungsoo out of the way none too gently. "You should really stop hanging out with Sungyeol."

Myungsoo laughs softly as he lays his legs across his friend’s lap. He hugs the pillow tightly to his chest. "It's a few years too late for that," he sighs wistfully. Sungyeol had wormed his way into Myungsoo's life and unfortunately there's no getting rid of him now.

"Did you walk all the way here by yourself? And how did you even remember my passcode?"

Now that Howon's mentioned it, parts of the previous night are coming back to Myungsoo. Sungyeol had dragged him to some party he'd heard about from someone. And then, of course, came the drinks. Sungyeol hadn't actually forced him to drink, but his goading hadn't helped and Myungsoo has always been a bit too much of a follower in his friendship with Sungyeol than he cares to admit. So, one drink became two and then three until Myungsoo could barely stand up straight. Things get somewhat hazy after that. Myungsoo doesn't know how or when he left the party or with whom. He does remember standing outside Howon's apartment and knocking on the door for at least five minutes. He supposes he must've gotten tired of being polite and just let himself in. Again, the details are fuzzy after that point. He hadn't noticed that Howon wasn't home (not that that would've deterred him) and ended up on the couch cuddling a pillow that smells like his friend.

"I don't remember much from last night," he answers truthfully.

"I wouldn't even be surprised if Sungyeol dumped you here on purpose."

Myungsoo pokes Howon in the stomach with his big toe. "I'm not that bad of a drunk," he argues. He's pretty tame compared to the other guys. Woohyun and Sungyeol get annoyingly loud(er) when they drink. Dongwoo is out after a couple rounds. Sunggyu gets all mopey and clingy. Sungjong gets even bolder than he normally is and a lot less polite. Myungsoo has never seen Howon drunk, so he doesn't know what kind of habits the other has. But aside from that he doesn't think he's that much of a hassle to deal with when he drinks.

Howon swats at Myungsoo's foot, a relaxed smile on his face. "It's like you're sleepwalking," he says. "We never know where you'll wander off to or what you might do."

There is some truth to Howon's words. Myungsoo's feet tend to take him wherever they want when he's too drunk to even know which way is up. Most of the time he ends up near Howon, be it his couch or his lap. Sungyeol strongly believes in those instances Myungsoo's heart is trying to tell him something his brain is too scared to admit. (Myungsoo doesn't want to tell his friend that his brain already knows. Then Sungyeol might advise him to do something stupid like confess his feelings for Howon. To Howon.) "I have to pee," he announces suddenly, standing up so fast his vision goes blurry for a second. That doesn't really help his hangover. Not being in the same room as Howon seems like the best solution at the moment.

"Have fun," Howon calls out to Myungsoo as he hurries past him. He dodges the pillow thrown at his head that had still been in the other's arms. His laughter follows Myungsoo all the way to the bathroom.

The cold water Myungsoo splashes on his face is a welcome relief for his flushed skin. He wets his face a few more times until his heart stops pounding so hard in his chest. It's not the most horrible thing in the world for him to like Howon. The other is a great friend, a great person even. It would've been harder not to fall for him. The thing that's really holding Myungsoo back from "going for it" as Sungyeol would encourage him, is the fact that he has no idea how Howon feels about him. Obviously, he must like him if they're friends. They joke and tease and fight like friends do, but there are also times when Howon goes past what friends do. Maybe it's the way he looks at Myungsoo when he doesn't think the other is looking. (Myungsoo is always looking at Howon, even when it doesn't seem like it.) Or how his touch sometimes lingers for longer than Myungsoo expects from him. But those moments are so few and far between that Myungsoo almost thinks he'd imagined them.

If he was as fearless as Sungyeol he would've already confronted Howon about his confusing behavior. But he isn't. He's afraid of Howon rejecting him and their friendship becoming strained because of Myungsoo's one-sided feelings. Despite Sungyeol’s unflinching promise to rearrange Howon’s face if he breaks Myungsoo’s heart, the younger man isn’t sure he wants to take the risk.

Howon isn't on the couch when Myungsoo finally comes out of the bathroom. Following the smell of fresh coffee, he finds his friend in front of the stove in the kitchen. There's an oblong pancake cooking in the only frying pan Howon owns while a plate on the counter next to it holds a small stack of odd-shaped pancakes. Myungsoo stands in the doorway for a moment, admiring Howon's profile and the concentration on his face. If he hadn't already fallen so hard for Howon, this would've probably sent him right over the edge.

"What's the occasion," Myungsoo asks as he steps further into the room. He can't recall the other ever making anything that didn't say instant on the package.

Howon glances at him before turning back to his task. He adds the oblong pancake to the growing stack and spoons another one into the frying pan. "Well, I figured a full meal wouldn’t be the best for a hangover."

Taking two plates from the cupboard over the sink, Myungsoo brings them to the counter. “So you found the next best thing?”

"Because I'm such a thoughtful friend."

"Whatever helps you sleep at night," Myungsoo snorts.