Don't Call It a Crush - Myungsoo/Sungyeol

Vignettes

Prompt: We've been nothing but friends for our whole lives but then we played seven minutes in Heaven on a dare and now I think I might actually be in love with you.

So, first off, I didn't have the prompt in front of me when I started writing this so I only remembered the important parts of it (best friends, seven minutes in Heaven, I kinda like you now). By the time I read the actual prompt, I was already close to finishing the story and it would take too much work to rewrite it now. It's one of the longer ones because I got a bit carried away. I like how it turned out. Plus, it was a nice distraction. I should really get back to those unfinished fics I have sitting around. Anyway, enjoy~

 

 

 

The universe is conspiring against him. Sungyeol’s sure of it. Of all the people he could've ended up stuck in a closet with, it had to be Myungsoo. His best friend Myungsoo. His best friend Myungsoo who he's known for practically his whole life. Seven minutes have never felt so long.

“Why are you all the way over there?”

Sungyeol rolls his eyes. They’re literally standing a few feet apart, but of course that’s too much space for Myungsoo. “We’re not actually doing this, are we?” He doesn’t think kissing his best friend will be anything but weird. They’ve seen each other and first thing in the morning before they’ve showered or combed their hair and know all of each other’s secrets. They’ve gushed about their crushes to each other and helped one another score dates. There’s no romantic spark between them. At least, Sungyeol doesn’t think so.

“You were the one who was all excited about it,” Myungsoo counters, taking a step forward. Under the dim yellow light filling the room, his face is serious.

“Well, yeah, but that was when I thought I would end up with someone else.”

“So you’re disappointed that it’s me? You wish I was someone else?”

Either way he answers, Sungyeol doesn’t think he’ll win. He is a bit disappointed that he wound up with Myungsoo. Truthfully, he’d been hoping to end up with Sunggyu. He thought they had a thing going throughout the night, making eyes at each other and whatnot. It had seemed like it was all leading up to them spending seven amazing minutes in Heaven. And yet Sungyeol had spun the bottle and somehow it landed on Myungsoo, who was ironically sitting right next to Sunggyu. Fate had a twisted sense of humor.

But Sungyeol can’t tell Myungsoo that. He can't say he's happy to be in here with him either. Basically, he's screwed.

"Do you want to kiss me?" He figures if he flusters the other he can get away with not answering his questions.

Myungsoo's gaze doesn't waver like Sungyeol had anticipated. In two steps his chest is just barely touching Sungyeol's. He bites his lip as he nods, his eyes dropping to the other's lips before looking back up to meet his eyes. "Can I?"

It feels like all of the oxygen has been out of the room. Myungsoo—his dorky, goofy, sappy best friend—is asking for permission to kiss him. He wants to kiss Sungyeol. It's almost too much to handle. His hands reach out to grab a hold of the bottom of Myungsoo's shirt when he feels like his legs might give out on him. "Okay," he breathes out, giving a short tug to the fabric in his hands to bring their chests flush together. He expects the other to not waste time; the look in his eyes seems to say as much. Yet when Myungsoo finally leans in, he does it at such a slow pace that Sungyeol ends up meeting him halfway out of impatience.

Their kiss starts off slow. The weirdness Sungyeol had predicted is definitely present. It's in the way Sungyeol grips Myungsoo's shirt and squeezes his eyes shut tightly. He still can’t believe he’s really kissing his best friend. Myungsoo is tense against him, his lips pressed to Sungyeol's, neither of their mouths moving. Letting out a long breath through his nose, Myungsoo starts to relax. His arms slip around Sungyeol's neck to pull him closer. He angles his head as he lightly on the other's bottom lip. Sungyeol's gasp is swallowed up by Myungsoo's mouth when he deepens the kiss.

There are so many questions swirling in Sungyeol's head. When did Myungsoo get so good at kissing? (Not that he has firsthand knowledge of his friend's make-out skills.) Why does he like kissing Myungsoo so much? Why didn't they try it sooner? What does this mean for their friendship? They're all valid questions that he mentally promises to bring up when both of their mouths aren't otherwise occupied.

Sungyeol pulls away first. When his eyes blink open, he finds Myungsoo looking back at him. They stare at each other for a moment. Having been friends for as long as the two of them have, it's no surprise to Sungyeol that they've perfected their non-verbal communication. He can tell that Myungsoo wants to kiss him again, but he's waiting for Sungyeol to initiate it. He's more than happy to oblige. He leans down to capture Myungsoo's lips again. The weirdness from the first time is completely forgotten. He kisses Myungsoo like he would anyone else he’s attracted to. And Myungsoo kisses him back with the same enthusiasm. He’s just dipped his head down to leave a mark on the shorter boy’s neck when someone raps on the door. The knocking bursts the little bubble of privacy it had seemed like they were in. Sungyeol reluctantly straightens up and lets go of Myungsoo as the other does the same. They’re both breathing heavily.

“I guess our time’s up,” he says to fill up the silence between them. He’s afraid of the weirdness coming back now that they’re not making out. Another knock on the door turns their attention to it briefly before they look back at each other. It feels like they’re about to leave one world for another. They’ll step through the closet door and the moment they shared will be forgotten. Sungyeol doesn’t plan on letting that happen, though. He won’t let this be a one-time thing that they never speak of again. “Unless you don’t want it to be?” Sungyeol doesn’t want to sound too hopeful, but he doubts his friend minds.

And judging by the small smile that pulls up the corners of Myungsoo’s mouth, he must not. “I don’t,” he admits, shaking his head. He slips his hand into Sungyeol’s and tugs him toward the door. Rather than entering a different world, maybe they’ll just be starting a new phase in their relationship. Sungyeol likes the sound of that a lot more.