But, Baby, It's Cold Outside - Sunggyu/Sungyeol

Vignettes

Prompt: It’s Christmas. Your OTP is in a relationship and they haven’t told everyone yet. They’re under the mistletoe.

 

This is not what I should be working on. I started this before the holidays and then I got distracted, but now I've finally finished it (three weeks later). It can be considered canon even though it's not explicitly stated.

 

 

 

Sungyeol can call Sunggyu a lot of things (half of them not to his face), but spontaneous is not one of them. So when he finds himself under the mistletoe (put up by Dongwoo at the dorm’s entrance with the coerced help of Howon) with Sunggyu's puckered lips moving closer and closer, Sungyeol is sure he's having a nightmare. Or Sunggyu's drunk.

"What the hell are you doing?" Despite the panic in his voice, Sungyeol doesn't make any moves to avoid Sunggyu's mouth. There is something a little thrilling about risking getting caught. No one else knows about what the two of them get up to when they’re alone—about the feelings they’ve developed. And Sungyeol would like to keep it that way for just a little bit longer.

Sunggyu lets out an almost inaudible scoff. "I would think it was obvious," he answers, pulling back slightly.

Sungyeol glances up at the mistletoe and then down at Sunggyu. His heartbeat starts to slow down as a smile makes its way onto his face. "I think you're running out of excuses."

"Is that a no?"

The smile never leaves Sungyeol's face as he shortens the distance between him and Sunggyu. He wraps his arms around Sunggyu as they kiss slowly. It had been weird the first time they'd kissed. It was unexpected and a little impulsive on Sungyeol's part, but they'd both liked it. And then it kept happening. And now they're kind of in between being friends and more than that. They haven't gone on any dates yet; they just don't have the time, but they seize opportunities to be alone with each other and in a way it's almost the same thing. (Even if their stolen moments are mostly spent with their mouths practically glued together.) Sometimes they just lay together (or sit or stand or lean against each other) enveloped in a comfortable silence. And that's enough.

“Oh my God.”

Sungyeol and Sunggyu both freeze at the sound of Sungjong’s voice. They pull apart to stare wide-eyed at each other as if they’re both hoping they’d imagined it before their heads turn towards the sound. Sungjong is standing in the doorway of the foyer with his eyebrows up to his hairline. Under normal circumstances everyone can agree that Sungjong has the best poker face out of the seven of them. But this isn’t a normal circumstance.

The silence stretches between them, punctuated by Woohyun’s obnoxious singing of Christmas carols (he’s forgotten most of the lyrics so there’s a lot of mumbling and ad-libbing) and Dongwoo’s loud laughter from the living room. Sunggyu speaks up first. He clears his throat as he steps away from Sungyeol. “There’s no way you’ll pretend this never happened, is there?”

Sungjong schools his face into a neutral expression and crosses his arms. “If that’s what you want,” he answers coolly. Sungyeol lets out the breath he’d been holding. He feels more than sees Sunggyu relax next to him. “I’ll even act surprised when you two decide to tell everyone else. Consider it my Christmas present to you.”

Sungyeol’s relief is short-lived as a thought occurs to him. “Wait, does that mean you didn’t get us anything?”