Tension

Of Gravity, Acceleration and Motion

Sehun’s heart plummets when they’re finally standing in front of his house. He’s not ready to let go.

“Yah. Hyung, I think you should stay.” Sehun doesn’t think that’s really necessary but he just wants his teacher to hang around.

“Mmm...” Minseok contemplates. “Nah~ I think I can manage with my umbrella.”

As if on cue, the sky lights up for a split second. The roaring thunder follows in pursuit. Then, the rain becomes torrential. A sudden gust of wind took its toll on the umbrella, turning it inside out.

Minseok laughs at his misfortune but Sehun pulls him inside, saving them both from the bad weather.

“I told you. Let’s just wait for the rain to subside.”

“But is it okay?”

It’s definitely okay! Sehun almost answered but thankfully, he catches himself.

Sehun’s house looks grand outside and the interior is anything but simple. Though the walls are white and neat looking, the furnishings are sophisticated and rich in details. The living room is just the size...no, bigger than his whole apartment. A wide plasma T.V. is positioned on the wall. Below it are the speakers, DVD player and some game consoles. On either side of it are two cabinets that seem one with the wall. They hold a lot of CDs that look like they are rarely touched.

“Sehun-ah, where are your parents?” Minseok absentmindedly asks Sehun who have just closed the door behind them.

“I don’t know. I’m not really sure where they are. Maybe, they’re out of town. Or worse, out of the country.” Sehun blandly answers.

“So you live here all alone?” Minseok feels bad about asking too much. And he also feels sorry for Sehun and his family’s state. While Minseok and his family are always keeping in touch to know each other’s condition, Sehun doesn’t know how and where his parents are.

“You can say that. Anyway,” Sehun changes the topic. Honestly, his relationship with his parents is rather a touchy topic. He’s used to not seeing them. He also convinced himself that it’s perfectly normal until most of the people around him come waltzing in, rubbing on his face that it’s not. Jongin is one of them. But he’s thankful because Jongin’s parents treat him as their second son. And that’s more than enough compensation for what he doesn’t have. “Do you want to eat?”

 “I’m not really hungry.” Minseok answers as he eyes every CD on the cabinet. There are too much but one title stands out the most. He pulls the casing out.

“You want to watch that hyung?” Sehun is suddenly standing next to Minseok, drinking a glass of water. Oh please, say yes hyung. Please. Please. Please! He prays incessantly.

Minseok looks outside. Well, it doesn’t look like the rain would die down that fast. So, he shrugs. “Can we?”

Sehun smiles to himself and moves to set up everything. “Why would I even ask if we can’t?” This is the best day ever! Sure, he got into an accident but he’s (a little bit) thankful for that. He might be going crazy. Where is his sanity? Where? Sehun doesn’t want to retrieve it anymore. He’s fine being crazy, foolish, or whatever if it’s for his teacher.

While Sehun does all the work, Minseok sits comfortably on the couch. Atop the end table behind the couch where he’s at, he finds a family picture. Sehun looks really young in the photo. Perhaps, Sehun was around five or six when the picture was taken. Their family looks very happy. Both of his parents are good-looking. No wonder Sehun is like that. But where is this family now?

Minseok returns the frame on its place when Sehun have completed his job. A bowl of popcorn, plastics of salty snacks, and a bottle of coke is on the coffee table in front of them. They agreed to turn off the light for a better atmosphere. When everything is set, Sehun takes a seat next to Minseok, legs crossed while hugging a throw pillow.

For Minseok, the movie they’re watching is absolutely heartbreaking. It’s about a mentally challenged man and his sole daughter and how they stayed optimistic even through the obstacles and the fact that the father is imprisoned for a crime that he clearly couldn’t, wouldn’t and didn’t do. It’s the first time he felt different feelings all in two hours. He ineffectively hides it by eating a lot of popcorn.

For Sehun, it’s just another movie. He doesn’t really know what it feels like to have a father. Yes, his father is well but he can’t feel his presence. Perhaps, they may have been close when he was still a child but in this part of life he calls ‘now’, they’re not. Sehun might have even forgotten about his parents’ existence if not for the pictures hanging around the house and some framed and unmoved on desks and cabinets. The feeling of his parents slipping from his fingers is the only thing he knew. But even that is a vague memory. He just woke up one day, parentless and alone. So, he just can’t find the desire to cry over a simple movie. But as he hears someone sniffling near him, he might understand, because that person grew up in a close-bonded family. Silently, he hands Minseok a box of tissue that is conveniently placed on the table.

Minseok gladly accepts it and dabs his cheeks. “Yah. Are you laughing?” He asks Sehun who is currently beaming at him.

“Of course not.” Sehun replies shortly. Why would I laugh?  He asks himself. He’s just thankful to the movie for letting him see an unexpected side of Minseok: the Minseok who cries over a heart-wrenching movie. And he feels like falling deeper and deeper but he has surrendered a long time ago so it’s okay. “It’s just-“He leaves it hanging and Minseok doesn’t bother to pick it up again. It’s just that you’re wonderful in every aspect. I don’t know. Instead of saying that, he settles on rubbing at the small of Minseok’s back. “I’ll keep it a secret hyung.”

“Sehun, I swear-“ Minseok lets the warning hanging in the air. “Yah. Stop that!” He wiggles out of Sehun’s reach and throws him a glare.

Snickering, Sehun retracts his hand and places them on his lap but, inwardly he misses Minseok’s warmth. Somehow, he feels like hugging this cute hamster-like being. “You’re funny hyung.”

Minseok might have said a proper threat if his attention isn’t stolen by the glassy windows. The rain is dying down. “Well, I guess it’s time to go.”

Sehun’s smile drops a little. “Aww...I want you to stay.” He whines playfully but deep inside, he means it. And he’d stop Minseok even if he has to kneel down and beg. He wants to keep him badly.

Minseok plays along. “Ah, my little Sehun-ah, I’d like to but you know I can’t.” He coos. Then, he proceeds to ruffling Sehun’s soft hair. He’s completely oblivious to Sehun’s reaction.

Sehun feels like dying from Minseok’s endearing act. His heart is pumping five times faster than usual and he could hear it drumming in his ears. He fights his inner desire to hold that hand in place and never let go. He might die any second.

They stand up at the same time and made a bee line to the door. Sehun opens the door for Minseok. At the gate, they stand facing each other. Minseok is already outside, an umbrella shielding him from the rain while Sehun is on the other side of the gate.

“I swear if you tell them that I cried because of that movie, I’ll kill you. I swear it will reflect on your assessment card.” Minseok half-heartedly threatens Sehun.

“I’ll keep it a secret.” Sehun promises. Well, why would he spread it? It’s a secret that only they know. And he wants to keep it that way. He won’t go around telling it to anyone. Somehow, he feels special because he has discovered a different Minseok. Minseok isn’t just a kind Physics teacher anymore (and he loves it). There’s more to Minseok and he wants to know everything about him. He wants to keep him badly.

Absentmindedly, Minseok reaches up and cups Sehun’s face. As if that isn’t enough to stun Sehun, he leans closer, tilting his head to the side.

Sehun can’t think properly. This is bad. Sehun, wake up. Is he...Is he going to...  

“Thank you Sehun-ah.” Minseok tenderly smiles to the kid. Eventually, he draws back and turns to leave.

Too bad, it isn’t what Sehun expected. But for now, he can deal with it.

It’s already been a minute since his teacher has left but he’s still standing on the same spot. Sehun touches lightly where Minseok has touched him. He’s completely blank but he can’t erase the smile tugging at his lips. And when the Earth’s gravity pulled him back, he only knows one thing. What he’s feeling right now isn’t simple as the word like. It’s more than that. 

 

 

 

---

A/N: ufufufu I updated after a few hours. Don’t you love me? LOL.

I tried writing an ‘almost kiss’. I really tried. Ugh. I’m just not good at it. I’m sorry. T.T

So...How about a confession in the next chapter and reversing their state? *smiles like a Cheshire cat*

I was wondering...WHERE THE EFF IS LUHAN? Where is he? Huh? Where? LOL