Variable

Of Gravity, Acceleration and Motion

“I know this may sound crazy...” The man combed his hair with his fingers before saying, “I love you. Can we-“He coughed awkwardly. “May I ask you out on a date?”

The girl was taken aback. She looked lost in a split second but soon, a smile was tugging on her lips. “What took you so long?”

 

“Aish...” Sehun scratches the back of his head from slight annoyance. “Yuck. These movies are too repetitive. Gross. Ugh.” He throws a pillow on the T.V.’s direction and slumps on the sofa.

That is his third romantic movie tonight. Aside from Physics, he has no other assignments so he uses his spare time on watching those too cliché and trying-so-hard-to-be-cheesy films. (Lame) Romantic movies aren’t his style. But he keeps on imagining about confessing his (hopeless) love but he can’t seem to picture Minseok’s possible reactions. So that leads him to watching those annoying movies to have a little bit of idea. It turns out that they don’t really help at all. They are ultimately unbelievable.

The sequence always goes like this: The boy and the girl meet (at times they are already friends). Then, either of them develops feelings for the other person. After that, circumstances lead to another, making one of them think of giving up on his/her feelings. But then, he/she soon realizes that he/she can’t let go so, he/she confesses. And then, that’s when they learn that all this time they have mutual feelings. They’re just afraid of rejection and change.

Sehun knows that it doesn’t always turn out like that.

At one point in time, not everyone can get the one they love. That should explain why there are people who ends up with no one, living with nothing but their kittens or briefcases and suits. And there are desperate folks who take desperate measures and advices just to cope with their heartbreaks.

Knowing that there are no more excuses to escape his assignment, Sehun is about to get his notebook from his bag only to find out that he left it at school. Quickly, he texts Jongin who probably doesn’t care about assignments (even though he always writes them down). After a minute, he receives pictures of the assignment. And as usual, they are still unanswered. Bro, you owe me one. Let me copy tomorrow. >:D Jongin says at the end of the message.

“Die you bastard.” Sehun grits his teeth. He just shrugs his shoulders because he can’t really turn that down. And besides, Jongin will still probably get the answers tomorrow even if he refuses. 

Within fifteen minutes, he’s through with all of it. Yet, he finds himself lying by sending a picture of a random item from the assignments to Minseok. Perfect alibi to text his teacher. He quickly hides in embarrassment and throws his phone somewhere on the couch like it’s scorching hot.

When it rang, he almost died of heart attack.

He scoots closer, quite shocked that Minseok (the love of his life) actually replied! Really, this is like the greatest miracle that can happen! Sehun can’t think properly because he’s giddy all over and he can’t control it. Out of too much feels, he absentmindedly bounces up and down from his place while opening the message. Isn’t this your assignment? Sehun reads.

Sehun is having a hard time believing it, but he’s really dying from too much happiness especially when he received a picture of a sample solution. The example is really written...handwritten...BY KIM MINSEOK! Sehun can’t possibly put into words what he’s feeling right now.

“Hyung...You shouldn’t tolerate me...but you did!” Sehun exclaims jumping around the living room like the madman he is.

Yey~ Thanks hyung! You’re the best! I love you~ :D

That’s what he planned to reply but he deletes the last part before sending it.

Assuming hurts but that concept flies right out of the window as why not and what ifs fill his head.

 

“Jongin!”

Jongin is walking in the hallway when someone calls his attention. That person is his Math teacher. He turns around and meets the teacher halfway. “Good afternoon seonsaengnim.” He greets the man.

“Can you give this to Minseok?” The teacher gives Jongin some books. “And, let him sign here.” He puts a paper on top of the books. “Don’t crumple that or else...”

Laughing nervously, Jongin reads some parts of the letter. “Is this for the fair next week?”  

“Yes.” The teacher affirms. “By the way, how’s the planning? You’re a part of that committee, right?”

“Ah, we’re working on the budget and activities. Maybe, tomorrow we’ll start buying some materials.” With that, Jongin leaves and makes way to the Physics lab.

He knocks once, twice, until he hears a casual come in from the room. Thankfully, there’s no one but a Kim Minseok sorting some things in his drawer. Jongin comes closer and places the books on top of the table. “Seonsaengnim, I got your books for you.” He starts.

“Oh.” Kim Minseok looks up. “Thank you Jongin.” Then, he smiles widely. At that time, Jongin somehow understands why Sehun likes him.

“Say seonsaengnim...” Jongin suddenly blurts out without actually thinking. “Sehun: What is he to you?”

For a moment, he wants to take it back and say that he’s just joking. But in the end, a great deal of curiosity consumes him so he just shuts his mouth and smiles innocently at Minseok.

“Sehun-ah is like a...” Minseok fondly smiles before adding, “-younger brother. Actually, he reminds me of my adorable siblings. Why do you ask?”

Shock is an understatement, Jongin should admit. He didn’t see that coming. Well, it’s better than nothing. He thinks at first but another idea comes in. Actually, it’s not. It’s worse than anything because in other words, Sehun (in any way) has no chance.

“Forgive me, seonsaengnim. Your fangirls pushed me to ask you.” Jongin lies with a sheepish grin.

 

As Jongin enters the classroom, he spots an idiotic Sehun staring outside the window. No one can notice it but Sehun is smiling then frowning to himself. That’s creepy. Jongin ponders if he should call someone to take Sehun to a mental hospital or something. But he shrugs off the idea. Perhaps, he can do something to save Sehun’s sanity for the mean time.

As soon as he’s comfortable sitting on his place, he initiates the conversation. “Yo! You got something to tell?”

Sehun snaps out of his trance. Slowly, he shakes his head. He doesn’t even bother to look at Jongin. “Nothing. Should I tell you something?”

“Yes.” Jongin steely speaks “Let’s start from giving me valid reasons why I shouldn’t call a psychologist.”

“You think I’m losing it?” Sehun finally turns his head to face Jongin. Jongin can’t quite place Sehun’s expression. Maybe, it’s in between shock and anger.

Jongin makes a face. “Totally.” He rests his elbow on the table then, points at Sehun with scrutinizing eyes. “Don’t do something that you’ll surely regret later. Make sure that it’ll get you anywhere. Be it out of brotherzone...or something.” He mumbles the last part.

“Yeah- What? What did you say?”

Shrugging his shoulders, Jongin looks away. “Nothing. I’m contacting an institution, just in case.”

 

As usual, Sehun stays behind. Slinging his bag on his shoulder, he approaches Minseok. He opens the notebook he’s holding and lays it on top of the teacher’s desk. “I’m sorry. I wasn’t listening earlier. Can you explain this again?” He says rather hastily.

Minseok glances up from his seat then purses his lips. “Lately, you seem distracted. You’re always asking me to do this.”

Sehun scratches his cheek sheepishly. Honestly, at those times he’s using that as an excuse to get closer to his teacher. He gets the lectures fast. He doesn’t really need them to be repeated. Unlike his classmates who need a lot of example to understand the lesson, one is enough for him. “Hehe I’m really sorry.”

Crossing his arms, Minseok arches an eyebrow. “You don’t look like it. I’m wondering...” He leans closer. “What’s going on here?” Minseok points his temple for emphasis.

Rephrase that. Sehun muses. Who’s on my mind? You. 

For the nth time, Sehun feels his face heating up at an incredible rate. He fights the urge to slap himself. He just shrugs his shoulder, fervently wishing that he’s not obvious.

The best thing about Kim Minseok, as what Sehun learns, is his incredibly long patience. He’s lenient. Often, he’d just say “Just don’t do that again, okay?” even though he should be punishing them. He gives everyone infinite chances. And that’s why Sehun benefits so much.

It’s selfish and unforgivable. Sehun knows that much. But it’s the only way to get closer to Minseok. Although there should be another way, he thinks that this is the best approach.

Minseok shouldn’t tolerate Sehun’s behavior. He knows that somehow, he should do something or anything so this won’t happen again and again. Nonetheless, he still finds himself in the same situation with the same solution and outcome. Perhaps, it’s worth it. Sehun’s smile is uplifting. He doesn’t really understand why people say that Sehun hardly smiles because for him, it looks like Sehun really likes smiling.

 

“Do you get this now?” Minseok asks after explaining some terms and equation.

Sehun nods rather enthusiastically. He’s very happy. “This is why I like you hyung-” He stops. Did he really say that out loud? He thought he’s just saying it to himself. Now, he wants to hide in a cave and never come out.

“Well, I like you too Sehun-ah.” Minseok replies without second thoughts.

Sehun’s heart stops beating for a second. He almost hops around the room from happiness. Almost...if it isn’t for the fact that Minseok’s smile is the kind of smile that expresses only friendship. Perhaps, it’s the way people smile to someone they consider as best friend or family. This realization hits Sehun so hard that he couldn’t control himself.

“I mean it.” Sehun says, quite detached if he's watching himself from afar. “I like like you.”

Chuckling, Minseok waves it off. “That’s impossible Sehun-ah.” But then, he looks at Sehun eyes and in that instant, he knew that Sehun isn’t kidding.  

 

 

---

A/N: So here’s the confession...I told you I’m not ready for this! I just- ugh. I can’t. 

what do you think about cross-dressing?

A talk with Lulu (mini-series LOL. Don't mind this. I'm crazy)

  • Me: I can smell Lulu~
  • Luhan: I’m right here!
  • Me: There you are! Are you ready?
  • Luhan: Yeah yeah
  • Me: Make sure you destroy XiuHun before they can even begin, okay?
  • Luhan: Hah, leave it to me!